MedStar Washington Hospital Center

Updated October 5, 2014
3.5

MedStar Washington Hospital Center President John Sullivan
John Sullivan

Pros
  • Good variety of patient diagnoses, diverse staff, good benefits, good support from union (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay, nice co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for career or salary growth (in 3 reviews)

• There is little to no career advancement in this dept (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Co workers were dedicated, albeit overworked. Staff and physicians were conscientious and tried their best.

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Patient population that needs the help, staff that understands the community and works hard.

Cons

Budget cuts, short staffed, overworked staff

Decide what the priorities are and reorganize

An experience.

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time

Pros

It was ok to work.

Cons

Should include employees with happenings of the hospital.

Revamp.

Great company to work for with plenty to learn and intelligent technologist willing to teach.

Current Employee - Nuclear Medicine Technologist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Nuclear Medicine Technologist in Washington, DC

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Imaging equipment is state of the art , especially the Phillips Brightview XCT, and D Spectrum. Processing software produces high quality pictures plus is easy to operate.

Cons

As in most nuclear medicine departments there are less opportunities to get promoted. The only way to get promoted is either you get the floor coordinator position or venture into research.

If funds available buy another D- Spectrum camera

This Hospital Has everything

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are many opportunities that you can't get anywhere else within the area. For patients they take in everybody with or without "good" insurance.

Cons

It's a big hospital and that can make things complicated. Parking can be difficult depending on your position within the hospital.

Wonderful

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time

Pros

Great place to learn and grow

Cons

Very big and is hard to stand out in the crowd.

WHC

Former Employee - Senior Technologist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Technologist in Washington, DC

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time

Pros

Excellent learning environment/exciting work atmosphere.

Cons

Dealing with trauma on multiple levels

keep loyal employees.

Miserable

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Washington, DC

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay. Which is why the majority of staff that commute long distances work there

Cons

I was an RN in a specialty unit as well as a low level manager there:
    - high work load with little institutional support in terms of equipment and personel
    - employees that are unfriendly and abusive... if you are polite (ie. say "please" and "thank you") others take it as a sign of weakness and try to take advantage of you. The only way to get things done there is to be as rude as everyone else is
    - the facilities are delapidated and dirty (unless you work in a unit that makes the hospital money). For example, for the first 2 - 3 years that I worked there we would admit critical care patients without enough reliably functioning monitors. Our upper management was well aware of this. When the monitors were finally replaced they replaced them with used equipment that was marginally more servicable
    - revolving door of all management with no stability.... the only ones that were allowed to stick around were the ones that were hired from the inside and sucessfully maintained the status quo by not rocking the boat of senior union staff or attracting the attention of their own higher ups.
    - a union contract that is abusive to anyone there less than 10 years: on the last contract that I was there for, junior staff was handed a cut in differential pay while the senior staff maintained their differential pay as well as recieved their yearly raise.
    - overt racism: when I first started working there I noticed that some of the staff would referr to unidentified black patients as "Jan".... imagine my surprise when I found out later that this was an acronym for "Just Another N-word". They stopped saying that around me, but I am not foolish enough to think that it stopped all together.
    - institutional racism many non-white workers but very few if any non-white upper level management. Also, ther is a large amount of white suburban/ rural staff that travels to work for higher wages in the city and the local largly non-white patient and staff population don't always play nice in the sandbox and I witnessed many "us v. them" conversations and situations
    - management and the union are too focused on battleing one another for them to spend money, time, or concern on the front line staff
    - Poor worker moral... any wonder why? It is infectious and palpable.

Hire management from the outside that the staff can trust and allow them to hire and support a junior staff that will be loyal to them, not the union. Stop fighting the unions and spend all the time, money, and emotional equitly currently spent on lawsuits and staffing during strikes on a junior staff that the union is abusing. Get this junior staff to revolt against the status quo and maybe, just maybe the hospital will turn around.

Disorganized.

Former Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Contractor in Washington, DC

Pros

The work schedule was flexible--no real deadlines.

Cons

There was no parking available. Hired everyone as contractors because they didn't want to give benefits.

It was a great opportunity to advance in my career with the skill sets I had and acquire new ones.

Former Employee - Patient Access Officer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Patient Access Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at MedStar Washington Hospital Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It has great job opportunities,the best medical benefits, education and pay is not bad at all but most of all you meet some lifelong friends and comrades.

Cons

because its a hospital your always expected to be there rain, sleet, snow or shine and that doesn't always work out for employees

Means well but overcome by bureaucratic inertia

Current Employee - RN Float Pool in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - RN Float Pool in Washington, DC

I have been working at MedStar Washington Hospital Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Experience and staff and second to none; they work hard and do well despite the day to day challenges.

Cons

Woeful IT infrastructure, supplies are hit and miss. Management is always at odds with union, especially during contract negotiation times.

Treat your employees well and unions are not necessary.

MedStar Washington Hospital Center Photos