MedTouch

Updated July 8, 2014
Updated July 8, 2014
4.5

Paul Griffiths

Very close to a triple bottom line ran company

Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Software Quality Assurance Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was seeking a triple bottom line mentality employer when I received a call from MedTouch. I knew nothing about this company so immediately browsed the company website to learn more.

As a Lean Startup Evangelist, I was immediately attracted to how MedTouch measures everything they deliver to their clients. Furthermore, their case studies were also very appealing to me. Each one was vastly different, which told me that this is an innovation and value-driven organization. They also kept up with the times. This was exactly what I was looking for in my next employer. I wanted to work for a company that operated with a Lean Startup mentality.

Next, I perused what real employees said about MedTouch on Glassdoors.com. More good news, the employees seemed to be very happy working there. What I read about the MedTouch culture reminded of my very fond years working under famous founders Sam Walton and Bob Parsons. Another reason to consider MedTouch for my next career move.

My 1st in-person interview was my next favorable experience. Not only was it very conversational, I was also treated to a tour of this amazing work space. The ceilings are high, the décor is very up-to-date and everyone has easy access to large windows that can be easily shaded if needed. Most impressive, is the focus on ergo-dynamics. All employees have workstations that can be converted into standing work spaces. It is also very easy to adjust computer monitor heights to whatever your comfortable with. They even have a treadmill workstation for those who like to exercise while they work.

My on-boarding trip to Cambridge MA was when I began to realize my decision to join the MedTouch team was the right one. The key component for continuous software quality assurance improvements is a company culture where everyone takes pride in delivering quality and value to end users. While in Cambridge, I had the opportunity to meet with all of the people who are involved with developing software solutions for MedTouch clients. I was taken away by how everyone cared deeply about delivering value to customers. However, after meeting the company CEO and hearing what drives him to lead MedTouch, I knew I made the right decision to join MedTouch.

When I returned back to Cedar Rapids I felt very connected with my colleagues in Cambridge. I also had a good sense of where I needed to focus my attention. I looked forward to many fun and engaging years of relentlessly seeking the most effective ways to deliver value to MedTouch clients.

Just to give you an idea about how much employees are valued, even the on-boarding experience is continuously improved. Each new employee is asked to provide feedback and suggestions for improving their on-boarding experience. Much of the innovative aspects of my on-boarding experience was from prior employee suggestions. Furthermore, happiness survey's are a regular part of operations. On a monthly basis, results of these surveys and actions taken to improve happiness are shared with everyone in the company. MedTouch leaders place a high priority on employee happiness even during growing pains.

In regards to the triple bottom line aspects of MedTouch, from what I just explained, measuring the company impact on profits and people are very much followed. In fact, each employee is allocated $500 in Kiva loan funds to loan to Kiva charities, many of which are eco-smart, sustainability efforts. The managing partner in Cedar Rapids is also very eco-smart. We now have a comprehensive recycling program at the office. Measuring the company impact on the planet is not being done yet but may be a future consideration to further the innovation-driven culture.

Cons

Using a time tracking-oriented system for software development project management.

Consider using agile software development methodologies to facilitate building collaborative relationships with clients.

It's fun place to work, but it's hard to survive

I worked at MedTouch

Pros

MedTouch is a small company, which was about 30 people from multiple offices. Working for a small company could be fun because you have a chance to work closely with all your co-workers and wearing multiple hat. People do recognize and praise you for your work. MedTouch focus only on Healthcare area, which could be a niche area to be in.

Cons

Since it's a small company and small team, sometimes it's challenging with billable hours. It's hard to make the 70% weekly billable utilization when you don't have enough works.

Billable utilization is definitely important for small company like MedTouch, but needs to build the team relationship and may not just focus solely on that metric. Otherwise, everyone just put their head down and work because they need to meet their quota. This is not healthy in the long run because team members won't learn much from each other.

Great first impression!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

MedTouch is a very progressive company that clearly values every individual and their contribution. From the CEO to upper management to the front lines administrative staff, you are treated as if you are valued, not only as a person on the payroll, but as a person - period. It is one thing to say you are a "family-oriented" company and another one to live it. MedTouch as a company lives it day to day.

Cons

Because the company is growing by leaps and bounds, our processes are also changing, or in need of change. This isn't a con if you thrive on change, as many of us do. You never get bored!

Keep doing what you are doing from a top-down culture perspective. As we grow, it might be necessary to put more middle-management positions in place so that upper managers aren't hindered by having too many direct reports. Also, as we grow it will be important for upper management to stay on top of vision and direction, to maintain consistent communication of that direction, and a challenge for them to stay out of details. Keep in mind a mentoring strategy so that upper management can stay focused on the big picture and the future strategy of the company, while the very capable rest of the team manages the details.

MedTouch does it right.

I have been working at MedTouch full-time

Pros

MedTouch is a great place to work. The company has great values and is well managed. There is a much higher than average emphasis on employee growth and development, which sets the company apart. Employees are regularly celebrated and encouraged every day. My work at MedTouch has been challenging and rewarding.

The interview process is very well organized and gave me an accurate sense of what work life is really like at MedTouch. The on-boarding process is also exceptional and it didn't take long to feel comfortable and accepted within the team.

MedTouch is made up of great people that you look forward to working with and learning from each day.

The benefits are also a plus, and the company is flexible with vacation time etc.

Cons

MedTouch does not offer paid lunch breaks, so any time you take for lunch extends your work day.

Amazing Growth. Big Vision. Smart and GOOD People.

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The CEO - in addition to being absolutely brilliant - is also very generous, accessible, candid/honest, and possesses a strong sense of gratitude and integrity. Leadership and directors are all wicked smart and have tons of experience in this business. Good ideas are often implemented almost immediately and, even if they are not, they are always respected and well received. Very positive environment with built in ways to celebrate each others' contributions on a daily basis. Very high energy, creative and collaborative.

Cons

There have been some growing pains because, well, we're GROWING. And, even if there weren't growing pains, or even if growth evens/slows in the future, change will still be a constant. This is not a con to me. But, if you learn slowly and constant change makes you anxious, this is probably not the place for you. We respond to the needs of our client in an industry that is in forward motion so there is no cookie cutter model.

Continue to cultivate knowledge and information sharing as we grow!

Fun, positive, scrappy company with great potential

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a great positive team-building atmosphere. Communication is strongly encouraged, and this mantra is ingrained via a daily 7-minute company-wide meeting. Self-development is celebrated, and there is a training reimbursement program. There are regular company outings and celebrations to bolster company morale. Everyone is smart, fun, and easy to approach.

Cons

Due to recent rapid growth, the management structure is somewhat in flux. There is a division of teams, but due to the cyclical nature of the business, there is often ad-hoc resource sharing among teams - a process which hasn't quite been fine-tuned.

Idealistic, positive culture. Strong sense of purpose.

Current Employee - Technology in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Technology in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is on the same page: Deliver breathtaking value to the best brands in healthcare... and let's whistle while we work. People here are passionate about healthcare and technology. Warm, fun, humorous environment. Politics-free pledge on our job descriptions is actually true. We have a seven minute daily meeting where we celebrate each other and talk openly about any roadblocks and hurdles. Constructive feedback is welcomed, not just tolerated. People are good at what they do, and it's a fast-paced, challenging place to work.

Cons

It's "startuppy," so high maintenance types probably wouldn't love it. Our office space has a lot of character but isn't super high-end. We are a little cramped because we've hired so many new people, but that's kind of a good thing, right? Our pay and benefits are getting better, but right now are just kind of average. That said, we have good work-life balance and do a lot for charity etc. People love the company overall.

Keep up the positive energy. Clients are happy and so are employees.

Strategy + Technology together

I have been working at MedTouch full-time

Pros

I enjoy coming in every day and making a difference. When you have a group of people you can make progress with, it's much more enjoyable. The clients often appreciate what i do and even then it's tough, they are pretty reasonable. Focusing on one industry means there's more to learn deeply.

Cons

The parking situation is only ok and there's not a lot of good restaurants around.

Small company going places

I have been working at MedTouch

Pros

The clients, and the people you work with on a daily basis.
    MedTouch is ahead of the curb in their space and create amazing results for their clients.
    For the most part there is a great work/life balance and an awesome atmosphere of teamwork among the smaller teams

Cons

The back biting and politics among a small amount of members of the organization could be greatly improved, as well as a serious lack of professionalism and accountability in some cases.This is only apparent with a very small group of people but unfortunately they have a big impact on your bottom line.

Clean house, you have multiple people who are not performing their jobs properly as well as losing a great deal of money due to major lack of accountability.

MedTouch is a GREAT company and will go places but it can be SO MUCH BETTER if you get the right people on board.

Great place to work and grow

I have been working at MedTouch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First and foremost, the people that work here are top-notch. There is a high level of talent and drive, yet the work environment is highly supportive and unusually humble. We are a group of diverse skills and backgrounds, but we work (and play) together very well.
    Secondly, MedTouch continues to grow at an impressive rate, which really energizes the atmosphere and provides opportunities for growth. Initiative is rewarded with responsibility, and the company truly embraces employees who are motivated to learn and succeed.

Cons

As a rapidly growing, innovative company, the MedTouch environment is a dynamic one. If you are looking for perfect order and are uneasy with change, then this may not be the environment for you.

MedTouch Photos