Medallia

4.0

Medallia CEO Borge Hald
Borge Hald

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Transformative, life-changing company full of growth and opportunity!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The obvious pro of Medallia is the culture and especially the people. Medallians are compassionate, super intelligent, hard working, fun, adventurous, and just...wonderful! My coworkers have become of my of best friends. I left a job in entertainment because I was so inspired and excited by the people I met during my interview process...total career 180, but it's been 100000% worth it.

But beyond the people, to be part of a company at this stage (mid-size, still private, growing like crazy) is an absolutely amazing growth opportunity. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting paid to go to business school, because I'm witnessing firsthand a) what it's like to take a company from 300 to now over 575 employees, b) how we're bringing on new, huge clients, and c) how to maintain culture while scaling.

Cons

As is the nature of a growing company, there are certainly fewer standard practices and procedures in place. But honestly...I would so rather work at a company where we're all figuring things out together as we go, and constantly learning, rather than just filling in a spot/slot/role etc left by someone before me and going through motions.

My manager is amazing - she cares about not only my professional development, but also my personal development. Can't speak to all managers across all departments, but I would hope that as we scale, the operating team continues to ensure all managers are equally concerned with their direct reports' wellbeing. I'm pretty sure they are :)

It's simple: Medallia = Culture of Happiness & Growth + Brilliant People + Champion Clients

Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I am SO incredibly grateful and happy to be at Medallia. My beliefs about how work life should be that were previously met with skepticism and cynicism ACTUALLY HAPPENS at Medallia. It's fun, exciting, silly, crazy, casual, productive, with a dash of motivating stress. I truly feel lucky to call myself a Medallian. Yes, you can totally sing out loud at your desk and people will join in. Yes, you can totally make guac at 3 pm and share them at the giant kitchen islands. Yes, you can be insanely brilliant yet super fun & down to earth at the same time. Yes, you can totally communicate w/ your boss with just GIFs. And no, this is not a place for people who are political, cynical, or complacent. The leadership is constantly looking for ways to improve both themselves and the employees, and I feel that everyone's voice & opinion is accounted for at every level (thanks to our relatively small company size).

Cons

As a startup going through tremendous growth to become a tech company (some say we're already there! :D ), there are always moving pieces and un-organized bottlenecks here and there. The company should continue to focus on protecting its special culture as we grow and fine-tune the different departments.

Keep doing your thang!

Love what you do and do it with Medallia

Current Employee - People and Culture in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - People and Culture in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Medallia is at an exciting stage in its growth period. The talent here is sharp and incredibly motivated, and their is a culture across the company that is honored through Medallia's 'no jerk' policy. I love that people are put first here, and that the 'work hard, play hard' mindset has been embedded throughout. Lots of young people who do good work, and aren't afraid to take risks while doing it. Good benefits (lots of PTO), good perks (ball pit, free food and drink) and good people. New employee 'onboarding' is a highlight of the experience.

Cons

Your average company growing pains. Just getting its career path in order, but at the moment a lot of talk and not as much action. A lot of bottle necks. Company, as it grows, has not changed the way it communicates and interacts with employees.

I feel lucky to work here

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible people -- smart, curious, collaborative. A product that's changing customers lives and making businesses better. World class clients I'm proud to mention. Frequent access to the executive team. A culture of honesty and feedback, where growth is encouraged and people are valued. A once in a lifetime opportunity to build and grow in an environment like this with a company at this stage. I feel lucky to work here.

Cons

It's hard to build and execute simultaneously. It's a constant balance of prioritization -- what needs to be done now, what can wait, how to make progress on longer term vision while continuing to build the infrastructure to get there. If you're not someone that's flexible and able to roll with the punches (meaning sometimes lots of ambiguity, needing to make decisions based on limited information, trying things that "haven't been done before"), it's not the place for you.

Keep holding our culture bar high. I'm proud to be a Medallian, and I can't wait to be a part of our continued growth.

know what you're getting into

Former Employee - Client Services Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Client Services Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Medallia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Wonderful advancement opportunities for those that stay
    -Lots of perks (food, GoPasses, generous PTO allowances)
    -Even in junior roles given tons of autonomy and responsibility from day 1

Cons

-Stay away from HR and recruiting. Extremely disorganized and lacks transparency. Promotions and internal movement between departments happen based on favoritism and not merit or credentials.
    -Promote an elitist culture based on school rank rather than individual achievements - recruiting department encourages employees to only refer candidates that graduated from the Ivies or an Ivy competitor
    -Promotion of work-life balance is completely inaccurate and misleading. Nonverbal expectations to work completely around the clock.
    -Extremist company culture and focus on unity, almost to the point of brainwashing. Junior roles work best for those who are okay with having zero life outside of work. They invest a lot in creating a very fun work environment, but put so much focus on maintaining a Disneyland feel that whenever tense situations arise they are swept under the rug (i.e. different employees were fired and there was zero insight into what happened, and any inquiries were given the "shush" from management). Felt like nobody ever wanted to be the bearer of bad news.
    -Most of the responsibilities as an analyst are specific to the software product that the company sells - you learn a lot and are intellectually stimulated every day, but most of it won't carry over into roles at any other company.

Committed and Passionate Teammates, but with Lack of Support

Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Customer Solutions in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Customer Solutions in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting work with an incredible amount of responsibility. Being able to be a part of a rapidly growing company that does not have all of its processes in place gives employees the opportunity to shape the direction of the organization. For entry-level employees, this is a great time to join a firm that's making good strides at solving some pressing strategic and operational challenges. The lack of formal structure gives you tremendous opportunity to build credibility in a rapidly growing firm through your in-house experience with proprietary product and processes that lead to rewarding career progression (promotion from entry-level Analyst to Manager (a role where new hires join with 5+ years of experience) as early as 2.5 years at consistent high-level of performance).

The people in the company make the work so much more enjoyable. This is a very collegial workforce and most people are extremely intelligent, driven, yet willing to help. I've heard numerous people say "if it wasn't for the people, I would not have enjoyed working here as much".

Cons

One of the most worked (and stressed out) workforce. Hours are extremely long (especially for companies in the Bay Area), and also inconsistent across teams and teammates.

There is also a severe lack of structural support given to teams. Employees get visibility about the different initiatives / strategies floating around the space, but most of these are high-level ideas. Teams are expected to take on a lot more than they can handle, and there is a lack of senior management recognition for that. Coupled with the lack of clarity on the structures that they are trying to put in place, overloading the workforce has led to one that cares a lot but feels non-empowered due to the lack of support.

People in your company care; help them help you.

AMAZING

Current Employee - Client Services Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Client Services Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really care about their employee's well-being and that in turn, I believe leads to better productivity.

Cons

Although, most are very nice, it can at times be a bit elitist. There is also a high turnover rate.

great people, genius product, growing pains

Current Employee - People & Culture Team Member in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - People & Culture Team Member in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Culture worth fighting for, down to earth leadership, transparency in company goals, competitive compensation, feeling of ownership and opportunity to shape the scaling company

Cons

Effectively a 13-year-old startup, some elements found in more established companies are missing, like clear career path and standardized processes in some areas. Some may love this and others might hate it, but these are the growing pains of a company that is trying to double this year and again next

We can't be focusing 100% of our energy on filling our hiring needs - the needs of current employees and even candidates who are interviewing must be looked at as equally important (with our extremely low churn rate this is not an issue yet but must be taken into consideration as we continue to grow)

Going slower to go faster

Current Employee - Executive-level in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Executive-level in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are wonderful, everyone is friendly and there are (generally) no egos involved. People are curious about you, your work, and how they can help you.

Rapid growth and extremely high potential. We are solving real problems for our customers and changing how they do their business, which is very motivating!

Cons

Lost aspect of "lean" that I looked for when joining a high-growth, startuppy place. All execs talk about moving fast, but I don't feel like this is possible when I'm not empowered to make decisions or (even worse) have my decisions overruled. The entire executive team (10 people) votes on everything and pretty much has to be aligned for big decisions (that or the CEO/ President can overrule). It seems like we're always planning for every corner case and outcome rather than getting a good-enough solution in place, and iterating.

I think there is a lot of potential but we really need to stop the consensus culture that we have. This year we kicked off a major initiative around building out career paths for our employees. I can't express how happy I was when we started, but I don't understand why it's taking so long. I've been invited to 5+ meetings to talk about my thoughts on career path and now I just feel like I'm being repetitive. Is it that I'm not being heard, or that they're quintuple-checking that I have been heard exactly right? Either is not preferred and a drain on my time. We're never going to get it right with our speed of growth, and I don't think anyone expects that. Just give us something to start with and we'll iterate from there.

Growing company with great culture

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Culture
    - Fast-paced work environment
    - Opportunity for growth

Cons

- Growing pains
    - No Bonuses