Medallia Reviews

Reset
4.4
Medallia CEO Borge Hald
Borge Hald

Pros
  • This is a very collegial workforce and most people are extremely intelligent, driven, yet willing to help (in 3 reviews)

• High productivity without high stress; good work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No clear career path beyond middle management (in 12 reviews)

• Promotion of work-life balance is completely inaccurate and misleading (in 4 reviews)

Great company growing very rapidly

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome engineering culture. Very smart engineers and very selective in hiring. Growth story is phenomenal. Most importantly Medallia values it's culture more than anything else. This coupled with it's desire to be the absolute best in its field is the reason I believe it will be very successful in the long run. Developers are truly respected and are given a huge amount of freedom. Very little if any office politics and managers truly believe that their job is to help the developers deliver good engineering products.

Cons

Very difficult to point out any cons but Medallia is not known as a very hot startup as yet. Has catered food only 2 days of the week but the pantry is well stocked.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the current direction.

Good, well meaning people, but a little unrealistic

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good product you can get behind and is showing a real difference in the lives of our customers and their customers.

Fun office and environment.

Very interested in improving and getting better, so there is hope for the cons below.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of people and serious lack of work-life balance.

Severe lack of self-awareness. Thinks at an institutional level the company is better than every other and that keeps them from seeing they are actually pretty average for a top Silicon Valley company, if not below. They put in place a lot of extra work and policies, low salaries and stock etc that really don't help due to this lack of self-awareness of where they truly stand in the valley.

If they would really open their eyes and look around, they could be truly great, but the issues and perception are so embedded in the leadership it's going to take something major to bring them to reality.

Highly centralized management so don't expect to be making any decisions unless you're in the privileged group. Internal advancement into this decision making group is either non existent or on the backs of other employees.

Advice to Management

Give people enough resources to do what you are asking of them. Too many people here are stretched too thin.

Check the effectiveness of your policies rather than sticking to them like a religion.
    Cultural interviews for example have kept a lot of good people out, and haven't produced a significantly better place to work than a lot of SV companies I've been at who can make hiring decisions much faster. So much effort, so many lost candidates and frustration for so little gain. So arbitrary.

Medallia is truly a transformative workplace.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia

Pros

I've been working at Medallia for over a year now and I still look forward to coming into to work every day. It's really rare to find a workplace with a combination of genuinely nice/brilliant people with an evolving set of interesting problems to solve AND have the leadership/resources/support you need to get the job done. While I don't necessarily consider us a "startup" anymore, Medallia is in the between stage of with a maturity of a larger company and the flexibility of smaller company. Being able to see the company grow from 300 to 700 in a span of a year has been an amazing experience.

- People are passionate about what Medallia trying to accomplish.
    - Employees can see the impact of their work.
    - The company encourages sharing quality, constructive feedback to help employees become better and grow.
    - The pay and benefits are good.
    - Lots of learning opportunities (which is great for a place that really values continuous learning) whether that's through trainings, cross-functional collaboration, the office bookshelf, or the many clubs at Medallia (hiking club, book club, whisky tasting and beer club, running club, public speaking club, foozball tournament league, dance lessons, meditation and yoga, basketball, and so much more)!
    - If you have an idea, you're encouraged to run with it.
    - The folks in leadership are inspiring and will make time to be accessible if you need them.
    - Did I mention the people here are actually just incredible?

Cons

The company experienced some tough growing pains last year where people were burnt out with so much to do. That Medallia spark was missing for awhile just because there were so many rough edges that needed to be smoothed out, but no one had the bandwidth to do it. There were some leadership changes that could have been communicated much better. I think this was evident to the Amy and Borge, and they did a great job addressing the company's concerns. The turnaround has been really uplifting for the company and I feel like we're again on the right track to continue to scale for success.

Advice to Management

- Transparency to new changes or initiatives Medallia is taking on - clearly communicate the what and why.
    - Keep the momentum going through enthusiasm and encouragement - avoid the "burnout" we felt in 2014.
    - Continue to keep the bar high on hiring.
    - Have managers do a better job giving constructive feedback so all employees continue to preform at 100%.

A company that cares about you and is going somewhere big!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time

Pros

The people are amazing, executive team cares about employees, IPO.

Cons

If you like big companies with red tape, this isn't your place.

Culture is just a talk if nothing substantial

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Medallia (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, idea, perks,........................., etc. really? Can't find things to write up 20 words, sorry.

Cons

Cheap budget. Only one tiny team 24x7 in U.S. which makes 0 work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Ideology won't fool anyone if there's only 1% is unreal.

Medallia shines as a result of its emphasis on hiring exceptionally bright, talented, and humble individuals

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly, smart, humble colleagues and an atmosphere that fosters friendships among employees
    - Lots of perks (free food, Caltrain passes, happy hours every week)
    - Accessibility of leadership (Weekly fireside chats/Q&A with leadership)
    - Emphasis on continuous learning (training, lunch & learns, book clubs, etc)

Cons

- Growing pains: company is expanding at such a rapid rate that those who are unable to adapt quickly or lack "scrappiness" may struggle
    - Many departments are still figuring out defined career paths for employees. There is a "Career Path" initiative in progress, but we still have a ways to go.

Advice to Management

While Medallia might not be the biggest name in the Silicon Valley, it's culture makes it stand out. As the company continues to grow and change, continue to emphasize transparency and accessibility of leadership.

The University of Medallia!

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medallia is a place to learn, grow, inspire, and be inspired. In my experience as a professional, I've never seen a culture like the one we've all worked so hard to cultivate. People are incredibly smart, yet humble. People are incredibly driven, yet genuine. The environment is politically friendly and free, people say what they mean and do what they say. The projects folks work on have high impact, and in my role I get to see a lot of that impact first hand. I'm looking forward to continuing the Medallia journey and helping my colleagues do the same.

Cons

We expect a lot of ourselves and others and so we are constantly pushing ourselves. This is great for some people and not the right environment for others. If you are hungry, passionate, and driven then this will be a positive aspect of Medallia.

Advice to Management

Keep dreaming big! Keep pushing towards greatness! Never lower the standard for excellence across all aspects of the business!

Be who you want to be

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Medallia, they bring in the brightest, most curious, intrinsically motivated, growth-minded people I know. You have the opportunity to work cross-functionally, quickly gaining a broad spectrum of experiences, and then tailor-make an environment where you can do your best work.
    Easy to approach leadership
    A singular mission of helping companies make their clients happy is one I can rally around

Cons

Sometimes all the talk of constant opportunity hides the fact that this is a real company with everyday issues, just like any other place. Opportunities are determined by available work. While Medallia's client list is significant, it's not limitless.

The Real Deal

Former Employee - Executive in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Medallia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. Everyone says that and some confuse "great culture" with just "nice people." That is crap. This is a great culture because they do what they say they will do, they are great people, AND they expect the best from everyone. Too often "great culture" is synonymous with "soft." If you are smart, want to work hard, challenge yourself and push to be something beyond excellent. This is the place. Love the founders and the executive team.

Cons

It is really expensive to live in Silicon Valley. On the other hand, Medallia pays well. Not everyone is a "fit". Even if you are really smart, if you are not OK getting feedback, go somewhere else. Everything about Medallia is centered on getting feedback - including how you develop as a manager/leader.

Big egos should apply elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You have been very transparent in your communication to the company.
    Pay attention to the SMB market. There are things happening out there of which you need to be highly aware.

Never been so happy at work

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Medallia for almost a year.
    +I've never felt like I can be myself at work as much as I can here. My peers are so open and collaborative.
    +There's an honest quest for excellence every day, and I find that exciting.
    +The technology is powerful - clients really see behavior changes among users
    +Interesting challenges and learning being in a company that nearly doubles in size every year
    +Smart colleagues

Cons

When you grow this fast, there's inevitably some noise (e.g., career path has come a long way, remote offices feel a little distant). You need to join realizing that you'd be coming to build, not simply to work.

That said, there's a real need to keep the volume of internal communication in line with the pace of growth.

RSS Feed </> Embed