Medallia Reviews

65 reviews filtered by
4.1
Medallia CEO Borge Hald
Borge Hald

Pros
  • People are very nice and always willing to help (in 3 reviews)

• High productivity without high stress; good work-life balance (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Career path for mid-senior level managers is not clear as senior level roles are filled from outside (in 12 reviews)

• Promotion of work-life balance is completely inaccurate and misleading (in 4 reviews)

A company that cares about you and is going somewhere big!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time

Pros

The people are amazing, executive team cares about employees, IPO.

Cons

If you like big companies with red tape, this isn't your place.

Medallia is truly a transformative workplace.

I have been working at Medallia

Pros

I've been working at Medallia for over a year now and I still look forward to coming into to work every day. It's really rare to find a workplace with a combination of genuinely nice/brilliant people with an evolving set of interesting problems to solve AND have the leadership/resources/support you need to get the job done. While I don't necessarily consider us a "startup" anymore, Medallia is in the between stage of with a maturity of a larger company and the flexibility of smaller company. Being able to see the company grow from 300 to 700 in a span of a year has been an amazing experience.

- People are passionate about what Medallia trying to accomplish.
    - Employees can see the impact of their work.
    - The company encourages sharing quality, constructive feedback to help employees become better and grow.
    - The pay and benefits are good.
    - Lots of learning opportunities (which is great for a place that really values continuous learning) whether that's through trainings, cross-functional collaboration, the office bookshelf, or the many clubs at Medallia (hiking club, book club, whisky tasting and beer club, running club, public speaking club, foozball tournament league, dance lessons, meditation and yoga, basketball, and so much more)!
    - If you have an idea, you're encouraged to run with it.
    - The folks in leadership are inspiring and will make time to be accessible if you need them.
    - Did I mention the people here are actually just incredible?

Cons

The company experienced some tough growing pains last year where people were burnt out with so much to do. That Medallia spark was missing for awhile just because there were so many rough edges that needed to be smoothed out, but no one had the bandwidth to do it. There were some leadership changes that could have been communicated much better. I think this was evident to the Amy and Borge, and they did a great job addressing the company's concerns. The turnaround has been really uplifting for the company and I feel like we're again on the right track to continue to scale for success.

Advice to Management

- Transparency to new changes or initiatives Medallia is taking on - clearly communicate the what and why.
    - Keep the momentum going through enthusiasm and encouragement - avoid the "burnout" we felt in 2014.
    - Continue to keep the bar high on hiring.
    - Have managers do a better job giving constructive feedback so all employees continue to preform at 100%.

3. Culture is just a talk if nothing substantial

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Medallia (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, idea, perks,........................., etc. really? Can't find things to write up 20 words, sorry.

Cons

Cheap budget. Only one tiny team 24x7 in U.S. which makes 0 work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Ideology won't fool anyone if there's only 1% is unreal.

Medallia shines as a result of its emphasis on hiring exceptionally bright, talented, and humble individuals

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Friendly, smart, humble colleagues and an atmosphere that fosters friendships among employees
    - Lots of perks (free food, Caltrain passes, happy hours every week)
    - Accessibility of leadership (Weekly fireside chats/Q&A with leadership)
    - Emphasis on continuous learning (training, lunch & learns, book clubs, etc)

Cons

- Growing pains: company is expanding at such a rapid rate that those who are unable to adapt quickly or lack "scrappiness" may struggle
    - Many departments are still figuring out defined career paths for employees. There is a "Career Path" initiative in progress, but we still have a ways to go.

Advice to Management

While Medallia might not be the biggest name in the Silicon Valley, it's culture makes it stand out. As the company continues to grow and change, continue to emphasize transparency and accessibility of leadership.

6. Be who you want to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Medallia, they bring in the brightest, most curious, intrinsically motivated, growth-minded people I know. You have the opportunity to work cross-functionally, quickly gaining a broad spectrum of experiences, and then tailor-make an environment where you can do your best work.
    Easy to approach leadership
    A singular mission of helping companies make their clients happy is one I can rally around

Cons

Sometimes all the talk of constant opportunity hides the fact that this is a real company with everyday issues, just like any other place. Opportunities are determined by available work. While Medallia's client list is significant, it's not limitless.

Never been so happy at work

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at Medallia for almost a year.
    +I've never felt like I can be myself at work as much as I can here. My peers are so open and collaborative.
    +There's an honest quest for excellence every day, and I find that exciting.
    +The technology is powerful - clients really see behavior changes among users
    +Interesting challenges and learning being in a company that nearly doubles in size every year
    +Smart colleagues

Cons

When you grow this fast, there's inevitably some noise (e.g., career path has come a long way, remote offices feel a little distant). You need to join realizing that you'd be coming to build, not simply to work.

That said, there's a real need to keep the volume of internal communication in line with the pace of growth.

The Real Deal

Former Employee - Executive in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Medallia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. Everyone says that and some confuse "great culture" with just "nice people." That is crap. This is a great culture because they do what they say they will do, they are great people, AND they expect the best from everyone. Too often "great culture" is synonymous with "soft." If you are smart, want to work hard, challenge yourself and push to be something beyond excellent. This is the place. Love the founders and the executive team.

Cons

It is really expensive to live in Silicon Valley. On the other hand, Medallia pays well. Not everyone is a "fit". Even if you are really smart, if you are not OK getting feedback, go somewhere else. Everything about Medallia is centered on getting feedback - including how you develop as a manager/leader.

Big egos should apply elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. You have been very transparent in your communication to the company.
    Pay attention to the SMB market. There are things happening out there of which you need to be highly aware.

In a tremendous growth phase...but does not know how to scale....

I have been working at Medallia

Pros

Company is in a great space and is experiencing good growth in the market place. Good vision and a strong engineering team behind the product.

Cons

Too many re-orgs has left people confused. Middle management is not trained to handle issues or concerns. They collect a lot of feedback giving you a sense of being heard, but most real issues are kicked down the road.

Compensation is below average for the work/life balance.

Market leader that is scaling up - easing growing pains is a work in progress

Current Employee - Client Solutions Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Truly the market leader in customer experience products and services
    - Good benefits: GoPass (aka free Caltrain rides), healthcare, vision, dental
    - Compensation: better than the market rate for my line of work
    - Caring managers: this depends on which, of course. I was lucky to have an empathetic, yet strong-willed boss who vouched for her reports
    - Solid client relationships and robust exposure to verticals, industries, etc.
    - Medallia does walk the walk: feedback is taken seriously, however, it depends on who you talk to for action to happen
    - Recent investment in the People and Culture team: smart women with PhD's who are working to better our work environment. This includes better new hire trainings, strategic focus on wellness, etc.

Cons

- Awkward handling of firings and/or layoffs: this seemed to happen to employees who suddenly left HR or Client Solutions
    - Embarrassing handling of job referrals: many folks don't submit job referrals anymore because they've been so embarrassed with how their friends or acquaintances have been treated. Rejections are not done gracefully by HR - they usually leave a bad taste in the mouths of those in our network.
    - Passive aggressiveness: people are nice to people's faces but talk behind their backs
    - Arrogant attitudes: just because you went to Stanford or an Ivy League college does not mean you're smarter than everyone else
    - Smarmy, know-it-all salespeople: there are a handful of wonderful salespeople. But there are many newer ones who don't know the product very well
    - Nepotism: tons of nepotism, however, the issue is specifically around friends who are hired into senior management positions.

Advice to Management

- Hire locally and diversely: teams work best when there are people of all kinds, who can ask questions, challenge each other, etc. We don't need to be the same
    - Invest in a stronger recruiting team
    - Multivoting = groupthink
    - More women in Engineering
    - Culture is not as important as work/life balance: almost all teams / departments work their butts off, but stress is most visible with Product, Legal, Ops, and Services
    - And in relation to the point above, you need to create a strong infrastructure to enable work/life balance. Why do we use so many different platforms for filesharing, time tracking, project management, documentation, etc.?
    - If someone is obviously not pulling their weight or ineffective in their role, get some cojones and fire them
    - Don't focus so much on renaming teams and shuffling people around. We don't care if a team is "Delivery Excellence" or "Customer Operations," or if we're "Client Solutions" or "Customer Solutions." I'm still not sure what "Customer Success" is either. All we need is action, and transparent communication around what's happening next.

Tremendous opportunity to learn and grow in a supportive environment.

Current Employee - People & Culture (HR) in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - People & Culture (HR) in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited potential for personal and professional growth due to current state of company's evolution. Amazing access to senior leaders with almost all employees on-site in Palo Alto. Leadership listens. Chance to have a front row seat at a late-stage private company. Opportunity to make decisions and execute on initiatives that will impact the company for many years to come. Passionate, engaged, and positive co-workers. First time doing almost everything: hiring at scale, designing processes and programs, re-organizing to meet medium-term customer and market demands.

Cons

No handbook for your role: either it's brand new or the role/org is changing too quickly. Pace of growth and change can wear you down. New middle management layer is still figuring out how to communicate and manage. Some people/resources spread too thin. Already quite quarterly metric/goals driven for a company that's not yet public.

Advice to Management

Reiterate mission and vision to build pride. On occasion, manage/lead by walking around. Don't budge on culture. Try different communication tactics for an audience that's doubled/tripled in a year. Continue to promote from within and take risks on high-potential people. Stay laser focused on our customers. Build stronger relationships and partnerships across the customer experience and enterprise software ecosystems. Take calculated risks with our products/technology.