Medcan Clinic

Medcan Clinic Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
Updated October 8, 2014

Dr. Robert Francis, MDCM

Amazing service offering, great people, but lack of vision and leadership from senior management.

I worked at Medcan Clinic as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

During my time at Medcan I had the opportunity to lead a number of exciting projects.

I loved the variety of projects that I was able to participate in and was given a huge amount of autonomy.

The people are amazing......friendly, smart and a joy to work with.

I also had the opportunity to make use of some of Medcan's service offerings and they are world-class - I cannot recommend this aspect of Medcan highly enough.

Cons

There are some serious politics and a lack of support from key senior leadership in dealing with issues in a timely manner.

Lots of frustration (across the board) around the internal processes which don't always set people up for success.

Sometimes the focus is very sales heavy and less about building mutually beneficial relationships.

Better coaching and guidance needed for junior staff members so that they learn early on how to behave appropriately in the workplace.

More transparent and open communication goes a long way.

Temporary to get started if you have no experience - too much bureaucracy

Current Employee - Medical Tester in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Medical Tester in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Medcan Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

professional, early shifts (no late nights or after 5pm), positive environment for clients

Cons

take full advantage of existing resources with only casual staffs (no benefits/nothing), too much of bureaucracy, vp/managers are not in touch with their employees, hard to really communicate about issues

hire full time/part-time permanent employees - rather than being short-staffed every single day with casuals, it is a growing company but things needs to be a little bit more structured

Way too many VP's and Directors / Not enough support staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Medcan Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Medcan Clinic is a great place to work, great compensation and perks
    The people are fantastic and really work hard
    Offer 2 big events every year (you can even bring your spouse to the Christmas party)
    Smaller events offered throughout the year
    Eligible for bonus - twice a year
    Excellent wellness program
    40% staff discount on all services
    free Comprehensive Health Assessment every year (or for a friend/family member)

Cons

Positions within the company are no longer being posted: friends or friends of friends are being hired instead. It is becoming a "who you know" type of workplace
    Senior management is out of touch with their front line staff - do not seek feedback or input
    Frustration on the front line level: not enough admin support
    Benefits are good but could be improved upon
    Vacation time is standard (2 weeks per year). Not what you would expect from a company that promotes work/life balance and claims to be leading edge.

Organization is very top heavy - too many VP's and Directors that are out of touch with front line staff.
    Post positions internally
    Share your vision - communication is very poor across the board
    Company is becoming very corporate/sales focused making a less fun place to work

Bad Senior Managent-baddly managed company. Too many senior managers and little support. Good people in lower levels

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Medcan Clinic full-time

Pros

Meet hard working and kind hearted people in lower levels.
    Find that there are some people very willing to help when you are new.
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Too many senior level managers with very little admin support, who tend to pile on tasks/responsabilities to the existing admin people- to a point where it is too overwhelming. There is no proprer management structre- messy. Little planing is involved when deciding to implement new projects. No proper training program exists for new hires.

For less turnover senior managers need too listen to their employees needs and make an effort to improve their work environment. An oranized/complete training program should be created for each specific position. Need to hire more admin staff so less mistakes are made by staff being too overwhelmed.

Great Entry-Level temporary experience

I worked at Medcan Clinic

Pros

Fast pace environment, which I like to work in.

Cons

When I arrived there was a lack of organization with the files.

Improve file saving skills

Great company but....

I worked at Medcan Clinic full-time

Pros

Medcan Clinic is a great place to work, great compensation and perks as well as the people. Medcan is a high end clinic and you definitely get the best here.

Cons

I worked in I.T. and was dissatisfied with management. I just felt at times my manager was VERY unprofessional and disrespected his employees.

If you're not working in I.T. then definitely come here to work.

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Medcan Clinic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Medcan Clinic is a fantastic place to work. One of Canada's Top 50 best managed companies, Medcan has a strong brand affiliated with the highest quality services and professional development. The company takes a strong interest in developing successful employees who make a difference with their clients everyday. Compensation is competitive and the work environment is second to none.

Cons

Because Medcan is still a relatively young company, it is still developing its policies and procedures in several departments. As such, there can be a void sometimes in terms of how something should best be done, or in consistency when there is a lack of policy.

Keep filling in the gaps and the hard work will pay off!