Medco Health

www.express-scripts.com

Medco Health Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
Medco Health – Portland – “office”

Medco Health – Portland – “office”

Medco Health CEO George Paz

George Paz

Pros
  • You can work from home or go into the office - this is the best and probably only perk (in 28 reviews)

• Ability to work at home can help with work/life balance issues (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There are a lot of politics and there is no such thing as work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Since Express Scripts took over this place went down hill fast (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great until the merger

Sourcing Group (Former Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

ProsSourcing group was fantastic, company as a whole was a great place to work..

ConsBought out by a much smaller company.. Lots of execs were rich overnight and the 80% of true workers in the company suffered. Express Scripts is a mid west company about the size of a penny compared to what Medco was, they shouldve stayed out west.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun as fast as you can.. George Paz is in town, hes a numbers only kind of guy... Not a leader

Working here is like working in jail.

Pharmaceutical Benefits Representative (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsFlexiibility in hours; able to work two jobs

ConsBottom line profit is the major concern of this company. Tied to a headset and given exactly thirty minutes for lunch, no leeway. Meet sales goals, or be treated as if you're worthless. Work in a room with cubicles with high sides so that you don't see co-workers, and talking is discouraged. Cubicles are in a room with gray walls and no windows - like a jail cell.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo some team building to increase employee morale. WOW awards do not cut it. Improve work environment by adding windows and adding some greenery to make it look like an office, not an institution.

Not recommended for this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fair Lawn, NJ

Prosit is ok for the commute

Conswas not very comfortable work in there

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart People

ProsGreat people to work with. Awesome culture and lots of benefits.

Conspromotions are very hard to come by.

Its good to work for

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

Proswork/life balance, cool management, nice cafetaria

ConsNo stability recently, no bonuses, lot of agile practices

Advice to Senior Managementshould plan ahead to reduce/ promote /keep the software purchased or developed instead of dealing at the last phase.

IT Pretty good

Director (Former Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

ProsGood salary, benefits
    Decent work environment
    Generally good people

ConsIT goes to great lengths to avoid any impact to "production" systems ... but it turns out "production" is nearly everything
    Management often jumping around from crisis to crisis without staying focused on strategic priorities
    Corporate Blame Assignment is a formalized process

Advice to Senior ManagementNone really -- company has been sold and is being integrated into Express Scripts (a smaller company before the merger)

Medco

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dublin, OH

ProsWorking from home and a weekly pay check kept me at the company for a decade.

ConsCustomer Service - Too many "Active Listening" programs made each call torture...There were 30 points that needed to be hit to complete or pass a call. When Medco realized buying "Magic" was a mistake, they still made the reps use it, because they paid so much for the program.
    Most supervisors were curtious and understanding.
    Managed Care - Several managers have been there WAY too long, and have become unethical and just down-right nasty.
    Now they have fired everyone they condsidered was 'making too money.' And then had the nerve to tell them they could re-apply at the next hiring event, and start at $12 an hour.
    After 10 years, I was ready to get out. Looks like Express Scripts is just another low-wage job in a company that hands out jobs in Manilla. Great way to invest in America George Paz!

Professional atmosphere, enjoyable working environment.

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Whitestown, IN

ProsSelf management, room for advancement, very structured, great people, a positive atmosphere.

ConsThe pay was lower that comparable market wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more professional on how to talk to employees. Don't curse and talk down to others below you.

Change in Cultures...Medco to ESI = innovation to institutional

Director (Former Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

ProsOld Medco: Innovative, entrepreneutial, fast-paced, high risk-reward and collaborative. Fun, encouraging and exciting. No two days ever the same. You can contribute.

ConsNew ESI: Strong willed, convicted, logical, conservative, focused only on the core, Careful and calculated. Heirarchy dictated. No margin = no mission. Robotic. Order takers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees...remain open minded. Take chances. Lead, not follow.

Not much regard for their long term employees

Account Manager (Former Employee) Franklin Lakes, NJ

ProsWorking from home and traveling 10% of the time was a great mix. I loved our internal communication system and it was easy to see who was online and working at any time. I absolutely loved everyone I worked with and it was a great community of people.

ConsThe work load was huge and management had no problem with employees (salaried) working 60-70 hours a week. Goals and objectives were sometimes unreasonable given the amount of work that was piled on individuals each day,

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware and understand the amount of work employees, particularly in account management, have to accomplish and if if a long term hard working employee is struggling and asking for help - take notice and provide the assistance.

Worked for Medco Health? Contribute to the Community!