Medecision

Updated December 21, 2014
2.6

Medecision President & CEO Deborah M. Gage
Deborah M. Gage

Pros
  • Flexibility, work-life balance, compensation, super dedicated & talented people (in 10 reviews)

• You can setup a schedule where you work from home full time, which is very progressive (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of talk about work/life balance, but don't try to actually have (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management brought in hand-picked people that did not know the business or were particularly good at there jobs (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Software developer

I worked at Medecision

Pros

This company in great business and great ideas

Cons

The software and technology is always up to date

Keep up a good work

Unstable

I have been working at Medecision

Pros

A lot of nice and competent people work there.

Cons

No job security. Always putting out fires. Development division lacks knowledgeable direction. No loyalty to employees.

Innovative company, focused on changing healthcare by delivering exceptional value to customers and employees

I have been working at Medecision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Medecision is hyper focused on delivering exceptional service to our current and prospective clients. This creates an environment that encourages employees to act like owners and feel empowered to do what is right for our customers. Only second to customer experience is employee satisfaction, our executives are actively engaged in improving our work experience to ensure employees are happy, healthy and productive. Medecision has been in the market for over 25 years so we have extensive experience and capabilities that we are able to share with our clients. Finally our executives are passionate and razor sharp driving the vision for our company and solutions.

Cons

401K match is not competitive. The market is in a constant state of flux demanding flexibility and challenges on the employees. Time off is fairly conservative and you are not allowed to roll over time not used.

Keep driving the market is still in front of us. Even though this is a mature company the market is new and may require nimble and quick responses to be competitive.

It's all about the people

I worked at Medecision

Pros

Incredibly talented teammates and coworkers Company embraces the virtual work-lifestyle
    Results oriented, not 9-5 time clock driven
    Good salaries
    Ability to take on new opportunities if you are willing to expand
    Internal mentoring program
    Quarterly town hall meetings

Cons

Brick walls and segregation around departments
    Constant finger pointing
    Lip service about collaboration
    Negative environment that basically drives people out the door

MEDecision is not for everyone. But it is no better or no worse than the majority of IT firms in the marketplace.

After many years at MEDecision, the question comes back to what is good about it. The answer is always the same. This company has attracted some amazing talent, team players, and innovators that continue to "fight the fight". To management, honor those people. They still believe in the company, despite the struggles of the past few years. They should be rewarded for their dedication and belief in the company's vision.

To potential employees, If you are looking for a textbook job, then MEDecision is not the place for you. But if you are looking for a place where you will be challenged, asked to step outside your comfort zone, and work alongside dedicated people, then please submit your resume. I will gladly work next to you as we fight the fight and innovate new ways to offer healthcare solutions.

Great place to work but not any more...

I worked at Medecision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible work hours and ability to work remotely. Pay was good.

Cons

Leadership took the company in the wrong direction.

Ringling Brothers a. k.a Medecision

Former Employee - Employee in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Employee in Wayne, PA

I worked at Medecision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of experience to be gained at this company. It's a great place to grow your career, if you can stomach the environment. Compensation is above average to its competitors. There are still a lot of good dedicated, and talented employees that remain at this company.

Cons

Why Ringling Brothers? It's more about the show to usher the curious and fascinated in. Once you're in, the real show begins: Constant fire drills and hoops to jump through that often derails an employees work day. The current environment is an overall demanding and thankless environment that is lead with fear and intimidation. Although some departments experience work life balance, others do not. A 50 hour work week is most times never enough. There's an overall lack of support to the employees from a leadership level. Leadership has seemed to constantly miss their wake up call to these problems which leaves me with one final question: Is their commitment truly with the company?

If you want to balance out these reviews on glass door.com the correct way, start by focusing on the internal problems first. For an example: The incredibly high turn over rate for a company of less than 200; product defects/ failures that result in poor sales; the mismanagement of the company that starts at the top. When people start to visit glass door.com to write a great review about their experience with Medecision, then maybe that will be a sign that you've turned a corner, instead of desperately instructing your employee base to post positive reviews as your bandaid to this site. Remember: If the surface is dirty, bandaids will come off.

Medecision Response

Oct 24, 2014Chief People Officer

It’s true - work/life balance remains a challenge for many of us in healthcare IT – including Medecision employees. Our leadership team continues to seek ways to support our growth, add to our ... More

Great People, Learned A lot, Not Sure Where It's Headed

I worked at Medecision (more than 3 years)

Pros

I got to work with some very smart people and learned a ton of new skills. I had great relationships with people in different departments and everyone I asked for help always gave it willingly.

Cons

Leadership??? My direct manager was great but any higher than that was just a revolving door of same thing, different Director / VP. The buzzword when people would quit was that they were "change weary".... more like lack of change weary. There was no consideration for the customer needs and few people above Manager level understood the product. I expect some level of disconnect between Sales and Implementation teams but it seemed particularly bad at this organization.

Doesn't matter, they wouldn't take it.

Once a great company that was like a family to many

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Medecision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Flexible schedules and work arrangements.
    - Above average pay and generous bonus structure
    - Non-management employees want to do a good job, want to succeed and want their peers to success as well

Cons

Deb Gage named CEO in 2011 which coincidentally(?) is the last year Medecision was awarded as one of the best places to work in PA. I have no idea why they would still want to list, on their website, an award they last won 3 years ago. It raises questions as to what happened in 2012 and 2013.

Deb has surrounded herself by people who only agree with her. Recent, abrupt departures and demotions of some
    senior directors and VPs were of those who:
    A. Were hired in the pre-Gage era
    B. Will voice their opinion and provide constructive criticism if they do not agree with a decision or directive.

Each of the layoffs in 2011 and 2012 included at least one person who had a noticeable run-in or disagreement with Deb.

If the accusations that recent positive reviews on Glassdoor were planted or submitted per Deb's instruction shows that senior management has no interest in understanding why morale is low. This, coupled with a rebranding and an expensive lobby facelift (which was for naught since they moved to a new building) shows they want to mask any problem rather than resolve it.

Start with the inside and work your way out to return Medecision to its glory from the 90's and early 00's.

Embrace the outspoken, the dissenters, the loudmouths, the squeaky wheels, the challengers. It's nice to work with people who all have the same ideology and agree on everything. But the flaw in that utopia is you all may be agreeing on the wrong thing.

Glassdoor, is used by potential new employees, and increasingly, by potential clients, as a peak into your company. You should start using it for that reason as well. This is an incredible opportunity for you to receive very candid feedback from your employees. Use it to your advantage.

It is on you to improve morale.

Every employee is part of your Marketing department. If they are happy working for you, they will have nothing but positive things to say about the company they work for and be excited about the products they develop. But, as you can see, they are not happy working for you and your are realizing that bad press is not necessarily better than no press.

A toxic environment...run the other way.

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at Medecision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was once a good place to work. There was great team work that resulted in projects being completed on schedule and budget. There was an appropriate level of stress but not unreasonable expectations. Management was close to what the employee challenges were.

Cons

The environment dramatically changed to one of blame and finger-pointing when the current CEO joined the company. All customer issues were blamed on the staff when the clients told the staff that their primary beef was their interactions with the CEO and other company executives.
    The marketing spin to employees and the market is not truthful. There is no trust in the executive team due to repeated actions that demonstrate lack of respect of employees.
    The extremely high turnover rate is primarily due to lack of accountability at the executive level and highly questionable HR practices.
    Many competent employees are now gone and the impact to the company is devastating.

Take a course on ethics and alter management decision-making approach appropriately.
    Stop playing games to change the company image and figure out how to honor commitments (or do not make commitments you cannot honor).
    The 7 positive posts on Glass Door (entered between 9/17-9/24) were made by current employees who were instructed to write them by the CEO. Prior to those comments, the CEO approval rating was 0. Not surprisingly, the CEO approval rate has suddenly climbed to 21%. This behavior subverts the intent of this website.
    The reason that Medecision moved to a new location is because the CEO has cut the workforce in half and the company no longer needed all of the space it was occupying. Additionally, a new office was opened in Dallas, where the CEO and head of sales live. Convenient.
    All executives except the CFO live in other states and are rarely seen in the primary office. Better visibility and connection with employees would help morale and therefore productivity.

Medecision Response

Oct 8, 2014Chief People Officer

First it has to be said that for people, for companies and for markets, growth and comfort don’t coexist. Medecision is filled with passionate people who bring their best each and every day for our ... More

Unhappy employees, Unhappy clients

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesterbrook, PA

I have been working at Medecision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule with telecommuting and work-from-home options.
    Adequate pay and benefits.
    Everyone is buzzing about the fancy coffee machines in the new offices.

Cons

ELT and SLT do not get along in their own teams, hire personal cronies without the requsite skills sets or industry knowledge to move Medecision forward, and are not seen as credible by the employees.
    Performance issues with leadership and staff, are not addressed while high performing staff is exiting out the door at an alarming rate. Employee morale is at an all time low. Clients are dissatisfied and we cannot seem to turn the tide.
    Unprofessional communication is frequent, in person, on the phone and during meetings. We are encouraged to speak candidly, yet when the few who risk it are blackballed, it makes people think being quiet is the better option. The workplace pipeline is rich with information as leadership seems incapable of knowing when and what to share.

ELT/SLT-Hold each other accountable and if your peers cannot lead the Medecision charge, help them out of the organization now. Stop lying to employees and clients.