Medela Reviews

Reset
2.9
Carr Lane Quackenbush

1. Sales Consultant

I worked at Medela full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for. Family oriented, phenomenal product, internal support, great benefits

Cons

long, long hours. Slow to change

Mediocre Staff, little room for advancement

Former Employee - Full-time Assembler in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Full-time Assembler in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medela (More than a year)

Pros

Full-time benefits were decent enough. With the healthcare law an increase in demand is a no-brainer leading to growth. Office staff seem very well taken care of.

Cons

Hiring preference was definitely women- HR explained that to me twice, although I doubt they should have (which makes sense given the product). You stay at whatever position you get hired for. Very strict rules regarding assembly/ factory positions-so much so that I refuse to work there or buy their products. When assembling products for babies one would assume that sick workers should not be handling said products; indeed, one would assume.

Advice to Management

I would change some manufacturing processes and focus more on automation.

3. former employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crystal Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crystal Lake, IL

I worked at Medela (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, nice coworkers

Cons

Management needs to be consistent. If you do something for one employee you need to do it for all

5. Innovative company, unclear project management

I worked at Medela

Pros

You get to work with smart people and products are for a good cause. Medela is a leader in breast pump manufacturing.

Cons

Project deliverables we're unclear. My contract was extended without additional pay due to equipment malfunction that was provided by the company.

Advice to Management

Do a better job articulating project goals and make sure your staff has the resources to complete them.

Communication, Trust, Accountability.....right.

Current Employee - Sales in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Medela full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission of the company is what draws their employees to work here and stay here. Passion at it's fullest.

Cons

Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. Not enough people to do the work. The company continues to hire more management positions. Management is greedy. They provide you with compensation plans year over year that are unattainable and expect you to have a positive attitude while you earn less money each year.

Advice to Management

Quit the power struggles and get the work done.

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Manager in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Medela full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The previous: Small company feel, a lot of care for the customer and for the employees.

Cons

What's coming: Trying to grow the company includes that "big" company feel: impersonal, secretive, individual agendas.

Advice to Management

Communicate

8. It seemed to be a good company......

Former Employee - Assembler
    Former Employee - Assembler

I worked at Medela full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They had decent benefits. Co workers were supportive and helpful.

Cons

The high pressure to do things fast, fast fast. There was a non-stop push for employees to go faster to meet hourly quotas that seemed set way too high to begin with. That brought high stress levels to the environment even though people were working as fast as they could.

Advice to Management

It might be helpful to remember that generally people can only go so fast. The more hours one works in a day, the harder it becomes to maintain the same speed as when a person starts. It is normal for people to slow down a bit as the hours go on. There may be other people that are having a "bad day" as well. No matter how much a company wants their hourly quota rates to go higher and higher, it will not change the speed at which most people are ABLE to work. Getting upset and/or yelling in order to speed people up may not be the right way to motivate others. If anything, it does just the opposite.

Wonderful company with a great culture and mission

Former Employee - Product Manager in McHenry, IL
    Former Employee - Product Manager in McHenry, IL

I worked at Medela full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance; Good compensation & benefits; International/global exposure; Positive workload and projects; Focus on customers and innovation; Little office politics I worked at Medela (MINC) for a year and wish that I could have stayed there longer. Unfortunately, I had to relocate and resign my position. I had a great boss (who is now the MINC president) and nice team of colleagues that respected everyone and made the work environment very positive.

Cons

Location; Somewhat limited career opportunities given it is a US subsidiary of a Swiss-based company Unfortunately, the US operation is based in McHenry, IL, which is about 45-50 miles NW of Chicago. Not exactly the most desirable location in the Chicago metro area.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

10. Went in with a dream, came out with a nightmare

Former Employee - Hospital Sales
    Former Employee - Hospital Sales

I worked at Medela full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is smaller, lots of exposure if you are "chosen." Comp plan is decent, but on the low end for medical device. They finally seem to have their executive team straight.

Cons

Managers are in fear constantly. Recall hurt. Manager fear is pushed to representatives. Quotas..."ambitious" to say the least. Don't be too good or make too much or you may become a target.

Advice to Management

You are a "small town" based company, and that's what people expect and want when working for you. Keep that mentality and you would do well.

Better on paper than in reality

I worked at Medela

Pros

3 week PTO, some wonderful people to work with, can directly contribute to company

Cons

Company is slow to adopt to changing ACA environment. Little to no growth opportunities. Management shows no true appreciation for the work that people do and only a select few are truly genuine when they interact with workers. No training and career path.

RSS Feed </> Embed