MediResource

Updated February 10, 2015
3.7

Paul Kostoff

I love working here

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at MediResource full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great group of people, very motivating environment, strong leadership and vision from management. Allows for flexible lifestyle. I've worked at other tech companies, none with a health focus. People here really buy-in to the fact that work we do helps millions of people. If you want to be on leading edge of technology and healthcare then apply here. Lots of new people being added so good growth opportunities.

Cons

Location is not on subway, need to bus it. Work is pretty flexible, occasionally need to go into war mode to deliver on a timeline, not too often. No real cons, its a great place to work and gets better every year.

Management usually open to advice. Keep sticking with the vision and focus on how we help. People really like that message and rally around it.

Good Innovation, solid team

Former Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good environment, really working hard to change the health care world with innovation. Pay is fair, a little above average. They value ideas and input, even implementing them. Wow, how many employees can say that about their employer.

Cons

Long hours sometimes. Challenge with a very demanding group of clients. It can be hard to be creative with the regulatory contraints the business faces, this isnt their doing though.

Dont listen to that negative 'clever' developer, I know who it is, they are a troll and created problems. Thats why they aren't there any longer. Keep the positive people who believe in the work being done, they will drive the business forward.

Amazing insight into the wonderful dynamics of a parallel universe.

Former Contractor - Java Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Java Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

When evaluating this organization objectively, as a workplace for one's own and nothing more, there really are no pros. However, I was fortunate enough that my immediate colleagues, my fellow oppressed, are a tremendous group of people. Never before have I had the privilege to work with such an honestly bright and hard working bunch. Unfortunately, spirit and excellent work ethics among the developers alone do not elevate this company from its rank as a modern day metaphor of an 18th century Industrial Revolution Era brick factory.

Cons

The company develops software products with the same vision and determination that a deaf person would use when guiding a blind person. The company is unable to come up with the building blocks of a workable concept and an effective execution. If you read reports about Canada's lack of entrepreneurship, lagging innovation, and abysmal productivity and you feel those metrics are too abstract for you, come work a month at this place.

There are 40 odd workers on the premise and yet this company sees more political wrangling than GM. The company principals, themselves unable to effectively monitor software development, are exercising their power through a series of inept proxies. These vile and unpleasant minions will amuse you at first. Slowly but surely, they will then proceed to give you simultaneous and conflicting tasks, change their directives mid way, expect you to perform multiple simultaneous tasks or any combination of these scenarios. The company is unable to make progress; it then calls for interminable meetings to discuss why it is unable to move forward; this takes up more time that further delays progress; that leads to more meetings...you get the idea.

Like many technology companies in Toronto, both large and small, these guys don't care that unhappy workers in knowledge industries have really low throughput. They are a proud sponsor of outsourcing even when that practice is one of the main contributors to their troubles.

This is just one company, but when you think how many more like it there are in the GTA alone, you'll suddenly understand why your taxes will not be going down anytime soon, why your cost of living will remain high, why the infrastructure around you will continue to crumble.

Potatoes. No, no, hear me out...

Everybody loves them, not everybody can grow them. Here's where you come in. Forget this software development mumbo jumbo. Branch out into potato farming and bulk distribution, it will be a sure winner.

It taught me a lot and was a good place to get experience

I worked at MediResource full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good working atmosphere, good coworkers, and good opportunities to learn new skills

Cons

Integration and communication between departments could be improved.

Smaller digital health player - treading water

Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at MediResource full-time

Pros

Good tech skills and creative at finding new re-sellable solutions

Cons

Team a bit demoralized
    Management prone to taking too much profit, vs reinvesting

Seek partner to invest in past portal for mobile generation - can you personalize health record-keeping?