Media General

Be The First To
Add Photos

Media General President, CEO, and Director Marshall N. Morton

Marshall N. Morton

Pros:
  • "good pay and benefits, flexible schedules"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Everyone works hard to meet the common goal of a meaningful daily newspaper"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Crying out to upper management for help produced no results"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

GREAT they really care

Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Media General

ProsYou get gifts, sick days and a lot of vacation days. very laid back

ConsThe board that controls the company is not the best.

Not a bad place to work

Charleston, SC

Prosnice location
produced a good news product
great coworkers
new building in a great location
good communication from corp
pay was good

Consvery aggressive with contracts
advertising dependent, leads to job cuts in lean times
very newspaper focused
requiers lots of paperwork for reporting

Advice to Senior Managementi think management does a good job managing the company. The decline of newspaper circulation has really hurt the company.

Great Company & Management, but low wages.

I have been working at Media General

ProsCompany is still profitable.
Has money to reinvest
Depending on the division you work for there are lots of really smart and talented people working here.
Great Management team.
Lots of change

ConsDeclining business model
Low compensation
Very, very, very corporate. Think "Office Space".

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring the good people, and start clearing out the dead wood in your local properties.

Only thing constant is change

Copy Editor (Current Employee)
Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Media General

ProsMiddle-management is supportive and helpful, benefits are good for entry-level work. Facility is clean and well-cared for, town where I work (Lynchburg, Va.) is safe. Newspaper editors have a good grasp of what is relevant to their communities, and care deeply about good work being done.

ConsThere is a sense that the higher-ups are scrambling to deal with the economy's effect on the biz. Plans for progress seem to be shifting. Makes you worry they'll decide next year that your job, what ever it may be, is too expensive, and chop it abruptly. Also, there is so much turnover! People who know what they're doing are leaving or being fired in droves.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell us how you plan to pay for our jobs, in specifics. Too many meetings/memos are full of generalities, like "We will incorporate Twitter into our newsgathering" or "Online sales are the future" without any hard numbers.

They will cut you off at he knees.

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Media General

ProsIf you are just starting out in your career, you should work here because you will get some decent experience.

ConsSenior management decided to put all the sales people on straight commission. This would not be such a big deal except for the fact that the sales department is so disorganized. They hire whole departments and then decided to get rid of everyone in 6 months. There is no training and the managers are always changing their mind about what to focus on. Almost everyone in sales is looking for a job some place else.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales people pay your salary start treating us with a little respect and dignity.

Blind leading the blind

District Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Media General

ProsIf you get in the right department low level "old timers" will try and take you under their wing and train you.

ConsWorked 80+ hour weeks for the pay of 40 hour weeks.
Had to take a furlough pay reduction but still had to work on the days I was supposed to be off for it.
Was told by the state circulation manager that I was not working hard or long enough even though I worked 10 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week to keep my district from collapsing.
Anyone above the district manager level including state manager, metro manager, and vp of circulation does not know what it is really like in the field and will chew you out when they don't understand common situations.
When I started I was promised training that was supposed to happen weekly, which ended up never happening after the second week.
People are commonly laid off and their positions eliminated even when that person is needed to support others.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective about the postions that are eliminated.
Have senior management experience at least the lower level management positions before being hired from other areas where things are run differently.
Stop chasing the experienced guys out especially those that are forced to retire.

District Supervisor, salaried position, work 50 plus hours per week with no additional pay. Work all hours of the nigh

District Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Media General

ProsNice office space, good location.

ConsDay and evening hours with no extra pay for all hours worked and low salary, mimimum wage after working 50 plus hours on salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries

Blind leading the blind

I worked at Media General

ProsInitially seemed like they were committed to multimedia journalism; decent benefits package; excellent environment to learn about how to work on other platforms

ConsIt's corporate journalism to its very core, which ultimately means it's a bean counter-driven operation. Any talk of "multimedia" inevitably came down to a way to downsize the operation, forcing multiple jobs on one person, which led to an inferior product. Poor judgment from upper management in evaluating good journalism. Upper management tried its best to marginalize innovative, contrarian ideas that did not match up with theirs, as well as the voices of young people (ie, the people they are trying to reach the most), which is frustrating to see as the young public continues to laugh at their product and their subsequent and transparent attempts to be "hip."

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees at the worker level. Respect their input and don't put all stock in the ideas of a senior editor who hasn't left the office in 20 years.

A dinosaur trying to say all the right things. Respect for employees? None. Honesty? Don't bet on it.

Artist (Former Employee)

I worked at Media General

ProsI enjoyed my work immensely when not impeded by supervisors whose primary function was to "write people up," as told to me by one disillusioned young supervisor. Benefits are decent. It would be nice if domestic partners were recognized for health plan purposes, but don't ever expect to see that in this conservative environment. It's a place to work for a couple years and gain experience. After that, you are yesterday's bird droppings, unless, sadly, you know or cuddle up to the right people.

ConsSecrecy, shifting and fuzzy management whims, adversarial relationship with employees, a history of half-truths or untruths fed to employees (in a COMMUNICATIONS company). No interest in employees' feedback. It became where one's focus had to be on following the rules of the moment rather than on the actual work. Toadies, sycophants and 'tattletales' thrived--- the best people always left. Personally overheard from one manager to another: Q. How are you? A. Trying to cover my a$$ just like you." I always wanted to improve my performance, do my best work, and had great reviews-- despite the constant impediments of management. If you can accept this company culture, you'll probably do fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has never been interested in the advice or feedback of employees in my 10+ years there. Management. At LEAST don't be a stumbling block to your employees' trying to do good work. Be truthful without an eye toward manipulation, please. And, being told at a group meeting that "We can replace ALL of you TOMORROW" is not a good incentive. This was actually spoken at one meeting I attended--this wouldn't be verbalized now, I'm sure, but would be otherwise implied. No doubts. And again, this is the company culture, not the result of current economic woes.

Talk a lot of talk, but still a dinosaur that never woke up.

I worked at Media General

ProsGreat people. Used to be a safe place to work. Nothing changed (if you like that.) Slow pace despite huge expectations. Expectations are clearly defined: Make your numbers.

Cons(1) Company leadership talks a good game, but does nothing about it. (2) Disconnect between COO / CEO level and the next level down who oversee field operations. Causes confusion and makes everyone risk adverse because all senior level management are trying to just not get fired... despite highest level management talking about "innovation". (3) Slow to react (4) There is a15% rule in which you pretty much can't get a pay increase over 15% during any promotion. (5) The _CEO_ has to sign off on any and every position brought into the company over $50,000 salary. (6) Despite being somewhat of an Internet company, everything is old school... culture, mindset, etc.. (7) everything about this place is contradictory and therefore frustrating. (8) Unrealistic expectations (9) Senior management have absolutely NO PLANS yet beat down local properties because they can't make 'the numbers'. (10) Tons of layoffs and cutbacks... you can't even order copier paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Get out of the way.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Media General reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Media General CEO Marshall N. Morton. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Media General employees.