Media General

Be The First To
Add Photos

Media General President, CEO, and Director Marshall N. Morton

Marshall N. Morton

Pros
  • good pay and benefits, flexible schedules(in 3 reviews)

• Everyone works hard to meet the common goal of a meaningful daily newspaper(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Crying out to upper management for help produced no results(in 3 reviews)

• Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years(in 5 reviews)

Blind leading the blind

District Manager (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsIf you get in the right department low level "old timers" will try and take you under their wing and train you.

ConsWorked 80+ hour weeks for the pay of 40 hour weeks.
    Had to take a furlough pay reduction but still had to work on the days I was supposed to be off for it.
    Was told by the state circulation manager that I was not working hard or long enough even though I worked 10 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week to keep my district from collapsing.
    Anyone above the district manager level including state manager, metro manager, and vp of circulation does not know what it is really like in the field and will chew you out when they don't understand common situations.
    When I started I was promised training that was supposed to happen weekly, which ended up never happening after the second week.
    People are commonly laid off and their positions eliminated even when that person is needed to support others.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more selective about the postions that are eliminated.
    Have senior management experience at least the lower level management positions before being hired from other areas where things are run differently.
    Stop chasing the experienced guys out especially those that are forced to retire.

District Supervisor, salaried position, work 50 plus hours per week with no additional pay. Work all hours of the nigh

District Supervisor (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsNice office space, good location.

ConsDay and evening hours with no extra pay for all hours worked and low salary, mimimum wage after working 50 plus hours on salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise salaries

Blind leading the blind

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInitially seemed like they were committed to multimedia journalism; decent benefits package; excellent environment to learn about how to work on other platforms

ConsIt's corporate journalism to its very core, which ultimately means it's a bean counter-driven operation. Any talk of "multimedia" inevitably came down to a way to downsize the operation, forcing multiple jobs on one person, which led to an inferior product. Poor judgment from upper management in evaluating good journalism. Upper management tried its best to marginalize innovative, contrarian ideas that did not match up with theirs, as well as the voices of young people (ie, the people they are trying to reach the most), which is frustrating to see as the young public continues to laugh at their product and their subsequent and transparent attempts to be "hip."

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees at the worker level. Respect their input and don't put all stock in the ideas of a senior editor who hasn't left the office in 20 years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A dinosaur trying to say all the right things. Respect for employees? None. Honesty? Don't bet on it.

Artist (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsI enjoyed my work immensely when not impeded by supervisors whose primary function was to "write people up," as told to me by one disillusioned young supervisor. Benefits are decent. It would be nice if domestic partners were recognized for health plan purposes, but don't ever expect to see that in this conservative environment. It's a place to work for a couple years and gain experience. After that, you are yesterday's bird droppings, unless, sadly, you know or cuddle up to the right people.

ConsSecrecy, shifting and fuzzy management whims, adversarial relationship with employees, a history of half-truths or untruths fed to employees (in a COMMUNICATIONS company). No interest in employees' feedback. It became where one's focus had to be on following the rules of the moment rather than on the actual work. Toadies, sycophants and 'tattletales' thrived--- the best people always left. Personally overheard from one manager to another: Q. How are you? A. Trying to cover my a$$ just like you." I always wanted to improve my performance, do my best work, and had great reviews-- despite the constant impediments of management. If you can accept this company culture, you'll probably do fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has never been interested in the advice or feedback of employees in my 10+ years there. Management. At LEAST don't be a stumbling block to your employees' trying to do good work. Be truthful without an eye toward manipulation, please. And, being told at a group meeting that "We can replace ALL of you TOMORROW" is not a good incentive. This was actually spoken at one meeting I attended--this wouldn't be verbalized now, I'm sure, but would be otherwise implied. No doubts. And again, this is the company culture, not the result of current economic woes.

Talk a lot of talk, but still a dinosaur that never woke up.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people. Used to be a safe place to work. Nothing changed (if you like that.) Slow pace despite huge expectations. Expectations are clearly defined: Make your numbers.

Cons(1) Company leadership talks a good game, but does nothing about it. (2) Disconnect between COO / CEO level and the next level down who oversee field operations. Causes confusion and makes everyone risk adverse because all senior level management are trying to just not get fired... despite highest level management talking about "innovation". (3) Slow to react (4) There is a15% rule in which you pretty much can't get a pay increase over 15% during any promotion. (5) The _CEO_ has to sign off on any and every position brought into the company over $50,000 salary. (6) Despite being somewhat of an Internet company, everything is old school... culture, mindset, etc.. (7) everything about this place is contradictory and therefore frustrating. (8) Unrealistic expectations (9) Senior management have absolutely NO PLANS yet beat down local properties because they can't make 'the numbers'. (10) Tons of layoffs and cutbacks... you can't even order copier paper.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire. Get out of the way.

Prepare to work 55-plus-hour weeks for 30-hour week pay.

Assistant News Director (Former Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsYou can't find journalism work elsewhere.

ConsDownturn in the Florida economy.

Advice to Senior ManagementDump the Balanced Scorecard initiative and other "busy"paperwork that suppresses all employees' true initiative and creativity.

Listen to your employees. They are the only people in the company that really know what is going on.

Circulation Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey really did have a lot of employees that cared about the newspaper.

ConsThey did not want to hear any of your ideas. They had hired people to give you the ideas that they wanted you to do. Managers had way to much to do that wasn't constructive. We spent to much time hiring and training people than trying to keep good peolple by paying them more. It was hard enough trying to keep the customers at one paper happy so the management thought it would be better to let us manage other papers close by and not compensate for all the extra work. Media General needs to go back to the basics and bring back the local news and try to keep good employees by paying them more.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe way you are runn ing this company compared to other media companies is why you are struggling in all your divisions.

Challenges are Met With Opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsOpportunities as it expands business and begins making progress in the internet sector. Excellent networking opportunities and experience/growth available with the support of a professional working environment. The organization and different divisions within the company allow plenty of ways to migrate into other related careers. Certainly a great place for a variety of experiences.

ConsPublishing and newsprint is a difficult market to be in. There is opportunities for the publishing division to be innovative, but they are resistant. Publishing is definitely not dead, but new ideas seem to be. Decentralized management, giving individual papers/locations relative autonomy makes it difficult to be effective in a support or management role.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in new ideas and begin centralizing the management. Have all divisions share a vision and purpose and push this, along with initiative from the top down. We can then minimize investment in resources, share and adopt best practices across the board and spend less time working on individual obstacles and focus on growing the business.

great field

Media (Current Employee) Pune (India)

Prosgood experiance in media field

Consnothing downside in media fieldq

Advice to Senior Managementno i m not intrested

Micromanaging and herds of middle managers impede work

ProsBenefits are okay, not remarkable. It's a starting place: a place to grow skills, learn new software programs and the like.

ConsLurking supervisors, weak middle managers who have had their jobs forever. Notably outdated company culture and management trends. Little value is attributed to outstanding performers. Staff reductions of those who actually do the work are commonplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith new owners it is hoped that there will be a major improvement in managers and morale.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!