Media General Reviews

2.5
Media General President and CEO Vincent L. Sadusky
Vincent L. Sadusky
1 Rating

Pros
  • good pay and benefits, flexible schedules (in 3 reviews)

• Company is a well-known name in news field (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years (in 5 reviews)

• Furloughs and staff reductions (2008-2010) (in 4 reviews)

1. Great Company & Management, but low wages.

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Company is still profitable. Has money to reinvest Depending on the division you work for there are lots of really smart and talented people working here. Great Management team. Lots of change

Cons

Declining business model Low compensation Very, very, very corporate. Think "Office Space".

Advice to Management

Keep hiring the good people, and start clearing out the dead wood in your local properties.

2. GREAT they really care

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

You get gifts, sick days and a lot of vacation days. very laid back

Cons

The board that controls the company is not the best.

3. My experie4nce at Media General was great

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time

Pros

If you do what you are supposed to do for the most part they leave you alone & let you do your job

Cons

No cons. I really didn't have any problems while I was employed there

Advice to Management

Upper management was very approachable. Mr. Bryan seemed to be able to call everyone by name & I really appreciated that.

5. great field

Current Employee - Media in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Media in Pune (India)

I have been working at Media General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good experiance in media field

Cons

nothing downside in media fieldq

Advice to Management

no i m not intrested

6. Challenges are Met With Opportunities

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Opportunities as it expands business and begins making progress in the internet sector. Excellent networking opportunities and experience/growth available with the support of a professional working environment. The organization and different divisions within the company allow plenty of ways to migrate into other related careers. Certainly a great place for a variety of experiences.

Cons

Publishing and newsprint is a difficult market to be in. There is opportunities for the publishing division to be innovative, but they are resistant. Publishing is definitely not dead, but new ideas seem to be. Decentralized management, giving individual papers/locations relative autonomy makes it difficult to be effective in a support or management role.

Advice to Management

Invest in new ideas and begin centralizing the management. Have all divisions share a vision and purpose and push this, along with initiative from the top down. We can then minimize investment in resources, share and adopt best practices across the board and spend less time working on individual obstacles and focus on growing the business.

Only thing constant is change

Current Employee - Copy Editor in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Copy Editor in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Middle-management is supportive and helpful, benefits are good for entry-level work. Facility is clean and well-cared for, town where I work (Lynchburg, Va.) is safe. Newspaper editors have a good grasp of what is relevant to their communities, and care deeply about good work being done.

Cons

There is a sense that the higher-ups are scrambling to deal with the economy's effect on the biz. Plans for progress seem to be shifting. Makes you worry they'll decide next year that your job, what ever it may be, is too expensive, and chop it abruptly. Also, there is so much turnover! People who know what they're doing are leaving or being fired in droves.

Advice to Management

Tell us how you plan to pay for our jobs, in specifics. Too many meetings/memos are full of generalities, like "We will incorporate Twitter into our newsgathering" or "Online sales are the future" without any hard numbers.

8. Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Media General

Pros

nice location produced a good news product great coworkers new building in a great location good communication from corp pay was good

Cons

very aggressive with contracts advertising dependent, leads to job cuts in lean times very newspaper focused requiers lots of paperwork for reporting

Advice to Management

i think management does a good job managing the company. The decline of newspaper circulation has really hurt the company.

9. It has been a learning experience.

Current Employee - A/R & CREDIT MANAGER in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - A/R & CREDIT MANAGER in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

They have management that are very good and communicate with their employees.

Cons

The media industry is having a hard time and they have had to lay-off people recently.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see MG look at each business unit individually and make decisions based on their profitability.

10. Good place to learn and grow

I worked at Media General

Pros

Lhigh number of assets to be competitive in the market

Cons

Too many initiatives and constant change. There is not opportunity to see if the current path is successful before more change is implemented.

My experience was very good.

I worked at Media General

Pros

Colleagues are wonderful, interesting people. Working in same building with TV station WFLA and website TBO.com provides good multimedia experience. Building is in nice location downtown with picture windows overlooking the Hillsborough River.

Cons

Atmosphere a little depressing due to state of newspapers, shrinkage in newsroom staffing and news hole and continued threat of layoffs.

Advice to Management

Management is probably doing everything it can in a difficult situation. It could perhaps do more to let employees know how much they are appreciated.

RSS Feed </> Embed