Media General

Be The First To
Add Photos

Media General President, CEO, and Director Marshall N. Morton

Marshall N. Morton

Pros
  • good pay and benefits, flexible schedules (in 3 reviews)

• Active TV news industry; Health Insurance Better than Average; Vacation Days; High (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Crying out to upper management for help produced no results (in 3 reviews)

• Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good experience in an unstable field.

News and Content Producer (Former Employee) Myrtle Beach, SC

ProsLots of opportunity to grow and have new responsibilities
    Company is a well-known name in news field
    From what I remember, the benefits were decent

ConsFurloughs and staff reductions (2008-2010)
    High-paid execs, but that seems to have been taken care of in the last couple of years
    It's not so much the company but the news field in general, overworked and underpaid employees

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and appreciate what the people at each station do to keep the company going. Many people work around-the-clock, on holidays, and vacation for this career ... and are rarely compensated adequately. A little extra money, time off, or a pat on the back helps a lot.

Behind the Times

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsWear multiple hats, direct link to senior exectives

Consnot enough staff for the work, horrible work-life-balance, laughable relationships between colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are people, too. They can't counteract the deplorable state of your industry just cause you stomped your feet and told them, too.

Not Employee-friendly

Reporter (Former Employee) Florence, SC

ProsThere was room for creative license, a flexible schedule, relaxed newsroom environment

ConsLow pay, no room for advancement, budget cuts that diminished the quality of the publication

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to consider allowing more employee input and funnel more profits into employee compensation rather than the bigwigs in Richmond. Also, publications need to be laid out in community newsrooms rather than central locations where copy editors have no connection to the community paper.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Memo to Media General: It's the 21st Century Now.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsMy division was liquidated, so any pros experienced during my tenure are likely no longer existent there. It's possible, however, that the new owners of Media General (Berkshire Hathaway) are much more competent.

ConsPoor handling of finances and a inability to respond to the 21st century's new media landscape contributed to the collapse of my division.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully, the new owners were able to honestly evaluate the weaknesses of this company and make better choices. (Berkshire Hathaway has many more resources, so I assume this is the case.)

Lots of opportunities as news employee. Lots of micromanaging

Photojournalist (Current Employee)

ProsI always had a fair amount of freedom. Do your job and you won't get bothered much. 3 weeks vacation after 3 years, 4 weeks after 10 years. You usually have what you need to work with, not much more. Pretty good benefits and PTO policy.

ConsLots of changes at the corporate level, not sure if good or bad at this point. Small raises. Typical news media company. Lots of decisions being made by people who may not understand them.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate restructuring currently going on - so not sure how that will change things. Make more of an effort to retain good employees.

Good products terrible senior management

Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager (Former Employee) Myrtle Beach, SC

ProsWorked mostly on broadcast television and online side in sales as both an AE then management and they have valuable advertising products. They also value their clients and focus on service is good at the local level

ConsStill a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years. Too much old guard in decision making roles

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in identifying and developing your local and general sales managers. As these people go so go your sales revenue. Additionally break down the walls between on air, creative, engineering and sales, crazy how little we were allowed to collaborate inter department.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Former Employee) Lake Norman of Catawba, NC

ProsGreat people. Good pay. Very good management. Loved working there. Wish I was still working there.

ConsIn sales the down side is always missing goals. But, the goals were pretty fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy with management

Career employee that left after seeing the same old mistakes and don't care attitude by Mgmt.

Engineering (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsSome of the stations did let their employees go early on holidays and had station parties.

Conspay is not the best, the management is terrible ( good old boys network alive and well ), people who were in tight with "movers and shakers" got key jobs that otherwise would never get even considered, lots of pressure to "produce" and watching consultants parade in and out of the stations giving them the same tired and unproductive advice and walking out with LOADS of cash

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit worrying about YOUR pockets and start worrying about your employee's pockets. You worry about cost, yet your poor pay and conditions force employees to leave. You then hire a new person and they make mistakes and errors in learning that cost you MONEY.

I worked at a station under Media General.

Business Department (Former Employee)

ProsThey usually would let employees leave a little early the day before holidays, pretty good pay, great insurance, and pretty good paid time off.

ConsThe biggest con is the management at the station level. Crying out to upper management for help produced no results. Management needs to be firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. The reason many are leaving is due to management. Hello! Why would employees be looking for other jobs! Please, MG, look in the mirror.

Bait and switch

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood ratings in the industry, fair benefits

ConsThey have a great "pitch" to get you on board. Beware of the details they don't share. Be sure to ask how many people are there this year versus last year. Management style is from the '50's. The "boys club" reigns and double standard is rampant: men vs women. The exception is the female senior manager that has even the rank and file quaking in their boots; just because she can. They have absolutely no sense of customer service either. Digital journalists are hired and fired with not even 90 days to prove themselves. They do not have a progressive disciplinary policy; no warnings, just " they are gone" with little or no reason.
    Absolutely without doubt, the most inefficient, poorly managed operation I have ever encountered.

Advice to Senior ManagementI can't begin to give advice. My advice to applicants regardless of job function is look elsewhere.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!