Media General Reviews

Updated August 16, 2014

2.5

Media General President, CEO, and Director Marshall N. Morton
Marshall N. Morton

Pros
  • good pay and benefits, flexible schedules (in 3 reviews)

• Active TV news industry; Health Insurance Better than Average; Vacation Days; High (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Crying out to upper management for help produced no results (in 3 reviews)

• Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to learn and grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Media General

Pros

Lhigh number of assets to be competitive in the market

Cons

Too many initiatives and constant change. There is not opportunity to see if the current path is successful before more change is implemented.

It has been a learning experience.

Current Employee - A/R & CREDIT MANAGER  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - A/R & CREDIT MANAGER in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

They have management that are very good and communicate with their employees.

Cons

The media industry is having a hard time and they have had to lay-off people recently.

It would be nice to see MG look at each business unit individually and make decisions based on their profitability.

Circulation

Current Employee - Circulation Manager
    Current Employee - Circulation Manager

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Helping people in customer service. Good company benefits.

Cons

Working early morning hours at any day.

Hire more positions so that the job is not so stressful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Media General

Pros

nice location
    produced a good news product
    great coworkers
    new building in a great location
    good communication from corp
    pay was good

Cons

very aggressive with contracts
    advertising dependent, leads to job cuts in lean times
    very newspaper focused
    requiers lots of paperwork for reporting

i think management does a good job managing the company. The decline of newspaper circulation has really hurt the company.

Only thing constant is change

Current Employee - Copy Editor  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Copy Editor in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Middle-management is supportive and helpful, benefits are good for entry-level work. Facility is clean and well-cared for, town where I work (Lynchburg, Va.) is safe. Newspaper editors have a good grasp of what is relevant to their communities, and care deeply about good work being done.

Cons

There is a sense that the higher-ups are scrambling to deal with the economy's effect on the biz. Plans for progress seem to be shifting. Makes you worry they'll decide next year that your job, what ever it may be, is too expensive, and chop it abruptly. Also, there is so much turnover! People who know what they're doing are leaving or being fired in droves.

Tell us how you plan to pay for our jobs, in specifics. Too many meetings/memos are full of generalities, like "We will incorporate Twitter into our newsgathering" or "Online sales are the future" without any hard numbers.

Challenges are Met With Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Opportunities as it expands business and begins making progress in the internet sector. Excellent networking opportunities and experience/growth available with the support of a professional working environment. The organization and different divisions within the company allow plenty of ways to migrate into other related careers. Certainly a great place for a variety of experiences.

Cons

Publishing and newsprint is a difficult market to be in. There is opportunities for the publishing division to be innovative, but they are resistant. Publishing is definitely not dead, but new ideas seem to be. Decentralized management, giving individual papers/locations relative autonomy makes it difficult to be effective in a support or management role.

Invest in new ideas and begin centralizing the management. Have all divisions share a vision and purpose and push this, along with initiative from the top down. We can then minimize investment in resources, share and adopt best practices across the board and spend less time working on individual obstacles and focus on growing the business.

Not Employee-friendly

Former Employee - Reporter  in  Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Reporter in Florence, SC

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There was room for creative license, a flexible schedule, relaxed newsroom environment

Cons

Low pay, no room for advancement, budget cuts that diminished the quality of the publication

Needs to consider allowing more employee input and funnel more profits into employee compensation rather than the bigwigs in Richmond. Also, publications need to be laid out in community newsrooms rather than central locations where copy editors have no connection to the community paper.

Memo to Media General: It's the 21st Century Now.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time for more than a year

Pros

My division was liquidated, so any pros experienced during my tenure are likely no longer existent there. It's possible, however, that the new owners of Media General (Berkshire Hathaway) are much more competent.

Cons

Poor handling of finances and a inability to respond to the 21st century's new media landscape contributed to the collapse of my division.

Hopefully, the new owners were able to honestly evaluate the weaknesses of this company and make better choices. (Berkshire Hathaway has many more resources, so I assume this is the case.)

Lots of opportunities as news employee. Lots of micromanaging

Current Employee - Photojournalist
    Current Employee - Photojournalist

I have been working at Media General full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I always had a fair amount of freedom. Do your job and you won't get bothered much. 3 weeks vacation after 3 years, 4 weeks after 10 years. You usually have what you need to work with, not much more. Pretty good benefits and PTO policy.

Cons

Lots of changes at the corporate level, not sure if good or bad at this point. Small raises. Typical news media company. Lots of decisions being made by people who may not understand them.

Corporate restructuring currently going on - so not sure how that will change things. Make more of an effort to retain good employees.

Good products terrible senior management

Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager  in  Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Broadcast and Interactive Sales Manager in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Media General full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked mostly on broadcast television and online side in sales as both an AE then management and they have valuable advertising products. They also value their clients and focus on service is good at the local level

Cons

Still a newspaper, old school mindset to doing business that has been dead for at least 15 years. Too much old guard in decision making roles

Invest in identifying and developing your local and general sales managers. As these people go so go your sales revenue. Additionally break down the walls between on air, creative, engineering and sales, crazy how little we were allowed to collaborate inter department.

Worked for Media General? Contribute to the Community!