Media General Reviews

1. Good place to learn and grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Media General

Pros

Lhigh number of assets to be competitive in the market

Cons

Too many initiatives and constant change. There is not opportunity to see if the current path is successful before more change is implemented.

2. It has been a learning experience.

Current Employee - A/R & CREDIT MANAGER in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - A/R & CREDIT MANAGER in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

They have management that are very good and communicate with their employees.

Cons

The media industry is having a hard time and they have had to lay-off people recently.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see MG look at each business unit individually and make decisions based on their profitability.

3. Circulation

Current Employee - Circulation Manager
    Current Employee - Circulation Manager

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Helping people in customer service. Good company benefits.

Cons

Working early morning hours at any day.

Advice to Management

Hire more positions so that the job is not so stressful.

5. Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Media General

Pros

nice location
    produced a good news product
    great coworkers
    new building in a great location
    good communication from corp
    pay was good

Cons

very aggressive with contracts
    advertising dependent, leads to job cuts in lean times
    very newspaper focused
    requiers lots of paperwork for reporting

Advice to Management

i think management does a good job managing the company. The decline of newspaper circulation has really hurt the company.

Only thing constant is change

Current Employee - Copy Editor in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Copy Editor in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Middle-management is supportive and helpful, benefits are good for entry-level work. Facility is clean and well-cared for, town where I work (Lynchburg, Va.) is safe. Newspaper editors have a good grasp of what is relevant to their communities, and care deeply about good work being done.

Cons

There is a sense that the higher-ups are scrambling to deal with the economy's effect on the biz. Plans for progress seem to be shifting. Makes you worry they'll decide next year that your job, what ever it may be, is too expensive, and chop it abruptly. Also, there is so much turnover! People who know what they're doing are leaving or being fired in droves.

Advice to Management

Tell us how you plan to pay for our jobs, in specifics. Too many meetings/memos are full of generalities, like "We will incorporate Twitter into our newsgathering" or "Online sales are the future" without any hard numbers.

7. Challenges are Met With Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Opportunities as it expands business and begins making progress in the internet sector. Excellent networking opportunities and experience/growth available with the support of a professional working environment. The organization and different divisions within the company allow plenty of ways to migrate into other related careers. Certainly a great place for a variety of experiences.

Cons

Publishing and newsprint is a difficult market to be in. There is opportunities for the publishing division to be innovative, but they are resistant. Publishing is definitely not dead, but new ideas seem to be. Decentralized management, giving individual papers/locations relative autonomy makes it difficult to be effective in a support or management role.

Advice to Management

Invest in new ideas and begin centralizing the management. Have all divisions share a vision and purpose and push this, along with initiative from the top down. We can then minimize investment in resources, share and adopt best practices across the board and spend less time working on individual obstacles and focus on growing the business.

Run into the ground

Former Employee - IT Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - IT Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company was great for a long time (I worked there almost 15 years), up until Marshall Morton became CEO. True sense of family.

Cons

leadership totally lacked vision and ran the company into the ground. The company now (after merging with two other media companies in 2 years) is not the same. From what I hear from those still left there, the new leadership is all about squeezing as much profit as possible. No sense of caring about the employees at all.

Great Job, Very Low Pay

I have been working at Media General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn the field, expand skill set, and explore all facets of the media industry. Management is generally very excited about pursuing new ideas and initiatives.

Cons

The pay is the lowest I've seen from any broadcast group. Even after the multiple mergers, employees in original Media General stations saw no up-tick in salaries. The MG stations become a training ground--employees come, build experience, then get poached by Hearst, Raycom, and others because they offer more reasonable salaries. With the increase in health care premiums, many workers are looking at secondary incomes outside of the stations, which hurts focus, morale, and on-air product. I would love to make a lifetime career out of working at my MG station, but there's no way I could afford it on such a low salary with only 2% increases each year.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider revisiting compensation minimums company-wide, not just for new employees.

National Sales Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Media General full-time

Pros

Learned a great deal during a heavy political cycle, had good managers to work with, good sales team and very good traffic person, GM at the time seemed to care about the station (last year of employment was before 2011 but Glassdoor won't let me change it).

Cons

Very low salary, tried to stay with company after station sale but blocked from doing so even though others were allowed, MG kept an employee who testified in a lawsuit against the station who would have been fired from most stations yet good people laid off, no place to move up without moving to another station

Advice to Management

Spend time in stations seeing how the average person works, don't keep bad people just because you're afraid of a lawsuit you would likely win anyway

11. Rollercoaster Ride

Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid compensation. Decent benefits. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Disruptive industry change made the time there stressful and uncertain at all times.

Advice to Management

Improve front-line communication. Keep rank and file in the loop and help them to feel valued.

RSS Feed </> Embed