Media General Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
61 reviews filtered by

My experience was very good.

I worked at Media General

Pros

Colleagues are wonderful, interesting people. Working in same building with TV station WFLA and website TBO.com provides good multimedia experience. Building is in nice location downtown with picture windows overlooking the Hillsborough River.

Cons

Atmosphere a little depressing due to state of newspapers, shrinkage in newsroom staffing and news hole and continued threat of layoffs.

Management is probably doing everything it can in a difficult situation. It could perhaps do more to let employees know how much they are appreciated.

2. Good place to learn and grow

I worked at Media General

Pros

Lhigh number of assets to be competitive in the market

Cons

Too many initiatives and constant change. There is not opportunity to see if the current path is successful before more change is implemented.

3. It has been a learning experience.

Current Employee - A/R & CREDIT MANAGER in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - A/R & CREDIT MANAGER in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

They have management that are very good and communicate with their employees.

Cons

The media industry is having a hard time and they have had to lay-off people recently.

It would be nice to see MG look at each business unit individually and make decisions based on their profitability.

5. Circulation

Current Employee - Circulation Manager
    Current Employee - Circulation Manager

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Helping people in customer service. Good company benefits.

Cons

Working early morning hours at any day.

Hire more positions so that the job is not so stressful.

6. Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Media General

Pros

nice location
    produced a good news product
    great coworkers
    new building in a great location
    good communication from corp
    pay was good

Cons

very aggressive with contracts
    advertising dependent, leads to job cuts in lean times
    very newspaper focused
    requiers lots of paperwork for reporting

i think management does a good job managing the company. The decline of newspaper circulation has really hurt the company.

Only thing constant is change

Current Employee - Copy Editor in Lynchburg, VA
    Current Employee - Copy Editor in Lynchburg, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Middle-management is supportive and helpful, benefits are good for entry-level work. Facility is clean and well-cared for, town where I work (Lynchburg, Va.) is safe. Newspaper editors have a good grasp of what is relevant to their communities, and care deeply about good work being done.

Cons

There is a sense that the higher-ups are scrambling to deal with the economy's effect on the biz. Plans for progress seem to be shifting. Makes you worry they'll decide next year that your job, what ever it may be, is too expensive, and chop it abruptly. Also, there is so much turnover! People who know what they're doing are leaving or being fired in droves.

Tell us how you plan to pay for our jobs, in specifics. Too many meetings/memos are full of generalities, like "We will incorporate Twitter into our newsgathering" or "Online sales are the future" without any hard numbers.

8. Challenges are Met With Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Media General

Pros

Opportunities as it expands business and begins making progress in the internet sector. Excellent networking opportunities and experience/growth available with the support of a professional working environment. The organization and different divisions within the company allow plenty of ways to migrate into other related careers. Certainly a great place for a variety of experiences.

Cons

Publishing and newsprint is a difficult market to be in. There is opportunities for the publishing division to be innovative, but they are resistant. Publishing is definitely not dead, but new ideas seem to be. Decentralized management, giving individual papers/locations relative autonomy makes it difficult to be effective in a support or management role.

Invest in new ideas and begin centralizing the management. Have all divisions share a vision and purpose and push this, along with initiative from the top down. We can then minimize investment in resources, share and adopt best practices across the board and spend less time working on individual obstacles and focus on growing the business.

9. Rollercoaster Ride

Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid compensation. Decent benefits. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Disruptive industry change made the time there stressful and uncertain at all times.

Improve front-line communication. Keep rank and file in the loop and help them to feel valued.

Not Employee-friendly

Former Employee - Reporter in Florence, SC
    Former Employee - Reporter in Florence, SC

I worked at Media General full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was room for creative license, a flexible schedule, relaxed newsroom environment

Cons

Low pay, no room for advancement, budget cuts that diminished the quality of the publication

Needs to consider allowing more employee input and funnel more profits into employee compensation rather than the bigwigs in Richmond. Also, publications need to be laid out in community newsrooms rather than central locations where copy editors have no connection to the community paper.

Memo to Media General: It's the 21st Century Now.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Media General full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My division was liquidated, so any pros experienced during my tenure are likely no longer existent there. It's possible, however, that the new owners of Media General (Berkshire Hathaway) are much more competent.

Cons

Poor handling of finances and a inability to respond to the 21st century's new media landscape contributed to the collapse of my division.

Hopefully, the new owners were able to honestly evaluate the weaknesses of this company and make better choices. (Berkshire Hathaway has many more resources, so I assume this is the case.)