Media Star Promotions

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014
2.7

Carin Lazarus

As in any company there are positives and negatives, however the Good completely out weighs the "bad".

Current Employee - Management in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Management in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Media Star Promotions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smaller headquarters gives you the opportunity to work closely with all the staff in different departments including the CEO, Vice President and other executives. Executive team especially the CEO really care about their employees not only in the office but also in their personal lives as well. This company has a casual office environment, including dress code and the over all atmosphere. Having "Fun Fridays" to welcome the weekend and relieve a bit of office stress from the week.

They participate in activities that better the local community, also acting as "team building" exercises. Charity involvement plays a large part of this company's culture, from dog walks that support local animal shelters to building houses and helping to repair local community centers. Employees look forward to the company's "Give Back" days.

This company also gives the opportunity to implement new and exciting programs and events, based of "good ideas". When programs end as they do from time to time, the Executive team tries to re-position employees into new roles so they can continue to stay on staff. This company takes chances on the potential they see in employees and recognizes hard work.

Cons

The casual office environment while fun, at times can feel a bit unprofessional if you are used to a cooperate environment. Office hours (10 am-6 pm) can be tough if having to schedule personal appointments at places that are not open during the weekends. Some policies such at the "lateness policy" at times seem unfair, considering a large chunk of the employees usually stay well past closing hours to complete work and projects.

At times training is not through and clear direction is not always given on some programs and projects, leaving employees having to "figure it out" and learn as they go, resulting frustration and unsatisfactory work.

Sep 16, 2014CMO

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are happy to have you as a member of the team!

Casual Environment:
    - MSP is definitely not a conservative, overly-corporate
    ... More

Fun place to work not so good management

Former Employee - Promotional Model in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Promotional Model in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Media Star Promotions part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to travel locally to different venues and see what the new spots

Cons

No growth, terrible management and short hours

Fake Reviews only go so far

I worked at Media Star Promotions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are looking to get experience in working in promotions this could be a good way of going about it, but only as a promotional specialist, not a management position. I would also only recommend staying a month.

Cons

Where do I begin! If you work in management, you have no power what so ever. Local managers are in place strictly to fulfill administrative duties and take the blame when things go wrong. The pay is horrible, but they expect you to work every day including evenings. You get 1 week of vacation that you have to wait a year to get. They give you a small budget for gas, but the amount of driving that is required for the job doesn't cover it. The pay they offer to the promotional staff is laughable too, and they wonder why they can't retain people.
    This company relies on one sole client to operate, if that client should leave their whole operation shuts down.

My words will be wasted offering any advice as this company is set in their ways unless a clean up comes from the top, nothing will change

You Get What You Give

I have been working at Media Star Promotions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Company promotes from within, I know this personally, being an employee who stared in the Field. MSP has provided me with many opportunities, and I've picked up various new skills working at our HQ office that I may not have developed on my own, and I am thankful for that.
    - Casual dress-code.
    - People bring their dogs to work!
    - I have made some lifelong friends both in the Field and at HQ.
    - The pay is high enough to provide me with a life that I am happy with.

Cons

From a Field perspective Upper Management may seem distant, but once you actually get a chance to speak with one of them, you would quickly learn what kind of people they are - generous and understanding.
    - Work may seem overwhelming at times, but I challenge you to find a job where that doesn't occur, and pays this well.
    - What at times may seem demanding, is MSP's way of ensuring our Clients are 100% satisfied. (Thus keeping us employed! - Not exactly a con.)

Options for flexible hours (summer half-days)
    401K

Aug 15, 2014CMO

Thank you for your contribution. Please know that we will be exploring your suggestions to determine their viability for implementation. We are pleased to see that you are happy to be part of the ... More

Great job with great people

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Media Star Promotions as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is great and I believe have the company headed in the right direction. They are innovative and seem to constantly be creating new ways to grow the company. Everyone is friendly and very easy to get along with. It's as if they are a big family and welcomed me in with open arms. Great Company!

Cons

There are no cons for this company but I must say if you aren't punctual or procrastinate a ton this isn't the job for you.

Continue to grow and do exactly what you are doing. The future is bright for us

Aug 14, 2014CMO

Thank you for your response. We are pleased to read that you are a happy member of our MSP Team!

Company that rewards hard work and smart people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Media Star Promotions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They always look to promote from within and take pride in cultivating employee skills to get them ready for that next step in their career. I have been promoted several times at MSP and owe most of my professional acumen and business writing skills to my experience at MSP. Without a MBA degree it would have been difficult to achieve this level of success in other organizations.

They hire people rather than resumes. I have seen them bring on several candidates that have less formal education because it’s clear they are hard workers, have a genuine personality or interesting work experience that would make them well suited for a jump in their career. This is a positive in that many candidates get a change at a demanding position, but it can also result in employees attempting to complete a job they are ill-qualified for.

They have a down-to-earth management team that cares about making a friendly environment for their employees. The CEO is very accessible and takes a genuine interest in the lives of her employees. We have fun Fridays, community give-back opportunities and an incentive program to reward going above and beyond your day to day job. The office is casual and filled with friendly people that are genuinely great to be around on a day to day basis.

Cons

The work we do has very demanding responsibilities for everyone. This isn’t a job you can check-out at or phone in your responsibilities. I regularly see employees that have to leave the company because of the demanding and never ending work load. You can have a work/life balance but you need to be efficient in the office to achieve it.

They have higher turn over here. Most of the time it is directly related to poor job performance. If you put in hard work at this organization you will be valued. If you take criticism and use it to improve your skills, you will no longer receive those critiques. They don’t reward you stars for going on the potty- praise and a job well done is earned.

There are some archaic practices that I wish would change, but nothing that is a deal breaker. They don’t have direct deposit or any sort of flexibility with their office hours. To people that work long, hard hours these two small things can be a huge inconvenience. They also have no sort of 401k or savings opportunities supported by the company. It would be appreciated if the human resources side of the HR department was developed and we could get support from them in other aspects besides discipline.

Explore developing policies that support keeping great employees rather than ones that just punish poor employees.

Reconsider Direct Deposit, although I realize its a hot button issue for some reason, its a huge inconvenience to many employees and would be a great gesture to show you understand their needs.

Consider more considerate work/life policies: approving time-off near the holidays, incentive program to earn more days off, allowing more flexible in-office hours (within reason for employees that travel), etc.

Evaluate current HR offerings and explore programs to support employees: 401k, tuition reimbursement, employee referral program, internship program, etc.

Sep 10, 2014CMO

Thank you for your submission. We are pleased that you have had opportunities for growth within the MSP family. We are actively exploring measures to improve the quality of life for our team ... More

"The Grass IS Greener Where You Water It"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Media Star Promotions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Small agencies with client rosters like MSP provide the opportunity to learn several different job functions. This type of experience increases understanding of the bigger picture and can be a great resume builder.
    - Not being overwrought with unnecessary layers of staff helps to keep the company lean and competitive, which keeps business steady and jobs as secure as possible.
    - MSP is not for the 'it’s not in my job description’ type of employee. MSP-ers should be prepared to be willing pick up the ball and run with it whenever the opportunity arises.
    - The company culture is fun, but maniacally focused on providing the best possible service to the client(s). It's a laid back environment that allows for casual dress and even encourages us to bring our pets in to the HQ office.
    - In addition to great health benefits and above industry-standard pay, the CEO even personally funds programs throughout the year that help to lighten the mood and drive camaraderie among the ranks (Friday Fun-day, Manager/Market of the Month, Quarterly MSP Cares Day community service initiatives, Holiday Parties & Meals, etc.).

Cons

- During periods where there are no new clients or no existing program expansion, growth opportunities can sometimes be limited. However, they always first look to promote from within rather than to hire outside.
    - Sometimes, client service can be a tedious job; and with clients that are under the scrutiny of government agencies to ensure legal compliance, the work has to be taken seriously—all of the time. This means that mistakes can be catastrophic. Of course, a company shouldn’t turn down a project simply because it isn’t fun or because it requires the work to be done within strict guidelines.
    - Additionally, the nature of contract work can place the level of job security at the whim of the clients who must determine what/when to invest in markets and initiatives. When clients have cancelled programs, MSP has tried to retain as much staff as possible through reallocation and reassignment, but there’s only so much that can be done in those cases.

- Try to invest time in quarterly reviews to review employee capabilities/measurement against development plan.
    - Look into possible non-traditional cost-effective employee benefit options to expand existing package
    - Implement annual employee assessment/survey to check in and track the collective quality of life/work-life balance trend at the company and seek suggestions that may help to improve employee morale.

Aug 14, 2014CMO

Thank you for your response and the constructive recommendations. We will definitely be exploring your suggestions to determine their viability for implementation.

Media Star what a shame

Current Employee - Spokesmodel
    Current Employee - Spokesmodel

I have been working at Media Star Promotions part-time

Pros

Benefits would be that they are flexible with hours

Cons

hourly rate is really low considering: no benefits, no gas reimbursement, no incentives, no bonuses! Remember you are promoting one of the leading causes of preventive deaths in world!

Where to start?? We all know that the spokesmodels are the grease,oil, and wheels of the operation! I have been a spokesmodel for a number of years where they actually dropped the hourly wage by 2.00/hr on current spokesmodels, that was a couple of years ago, and finally raised the rate to what it was 2 years ago. The company comes off to many of us in markets thats they are so smart and better! If it wasn't for the spokesmodels grinding it out day and night getting good numbers, engaging consumers this company would fail hard. Upper management do you think that you are more valuable than us in markets? Don't kid yourself! I Come out in the field and stand for hours in bars or retail locations and constantly approach consumers about tobacco! Don't think its some fast food type job. Yes, its part of the job responsibilities and what the job entails, however there needs to be a lot more respect and consideration from the top down and its definitely not there! It takes a strong individual to do the job! We should be the one getting the salaries and bonuses, not you that just dictates stuff from a desk who's job is less valuable to RJRT than from the workhorses (spokesmodels). Really wish corporate could relate better and be more understanding and respect what we do! They don't show it or say it I would love to switch them places for a day! Show them how to really take care of the most important position in the company! Starts with the ground up, the front line. Remember that corporate

Great pay for the easiest job of your life however it was very disorganized.

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Media Star Promotions part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and great pay. Good temporary job for part time students. Great networking opportunity/ environment for night shifts.

Cons

Scheduling was very unorganized. You have to request off through email but emails seemed to constantly get lost. I didn't feel safe in a lot of places I was scheduled at for retail. There seemed to be favoritism being played with certain BA's.

Some of your markets are understaffed in administration.

Aug 14, 2014CMO

Thank you for your contribution. We are glad to have you on our promotional team. However, we are disappointed to hear that your overall experience has been less than optimal. Please be advised that ... More

Spokes-model/ Brand Ambassador

Current Employee - Spokesmodel in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Spokesmodel in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Media Star Promotions part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady pay check, hours are somewhat flexible, coworkers are usually fun to work with.

Cons

Endless Cons! First off, there is never enough staff and the managers hire people who don't show up at all or call off constantly. Also all the managers care about is the NUMBERS. they do not care about their employees. i repeat: THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES. Even if you are a great employee who never calls off, they take you for granted until they realize how much they need you because no one else will stick with the job. Upward advancement is a joke as they just hire their friends to come and work for them when a manager position is open, even though that person is not experienced. No one wants a coupon so it is hard to promote something no one wants. There is no smoking in Indianapolis, so for the e-cig program we are required to travel miles and miles out of the county to work a 5 hour ecig promo at a gas station. Also gas reimbursement is a joke $1 for every hour your work. so for driving 50 miles outside of my way every other day, I get paid $5 in gas. wow. also they want you to come to the office all the time even though you have a full time job that you work. They constantly hire people who do not have a flexible schedule leaving it on the other reps to pick up their slack, even though the job is advertised as weekends and nights they still hire people who refuse to work weekends and nights. get burnt out quickly from this job and everyone quits. Pay is WAY BELOW AVERAGE compared to all other cig promotional companies.

no point in giving advice to management as they do not care about their employees and are on too much of a high horse to change anything

Aug 14, 2014CMO

Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We take these criticisms very seriously, and I can assure you that we will be following up to investigate your claims and we ... More

Media Star Promotions Photos