MediaMath

Updated Jul 3, 2014

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki

Joe Zawadzki

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Truly an amazing company to work for. Exciting and fast-growing!!

New York, NY

ProsMediaMath seems to be growing at an extremely fast pace, which is great for the company overall. The atmosphere at MediaMath is exciting. Everyone who works here is intelligent, hard working and collaborative. It is a great feeling to know you're working for a company that is number 1 in the industry. Very generous benefits and perks. The work-life balance is truly extraordinary.

ConsDue to such rapid growth, larger facilities will eventually be necessary - but seems they've already planned ahead and figured it out!

tons of responsibility & opportunity, great work/life balance

Sales/Marketing Side (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe pay is good, the unlimited paid time off policy is awesome.
    Best work/life balance of any company I've worked for. It's very family friendly, which really struck me when I interviewed. Tons of photos of "MediaMath babies" on the walls, and excitement around new moms and dads coming back from their mat/pat leave.
    Fun company parties like karaoke, world cup parties, that kind of thing.
    Expectations are really high, and there's lots of freedom (and expectation) that you'll figure out how to accomplish whatever tasks have been set out. It's great for personal growth that way.
    They take a very pro-active approach to employee feedback. There's a company-wide satisfaction survey every 6 months, and they not only share the results with everyone, but create real action plans around places of dissatisfaction. It's not ignored or hidden.

ConsThe office spaces in NYC are sufficient and usable, but nothing glamorous (at least not yet! will change when we get our new headquarters next spring!). Chicago is building out a new office, which will be gorgeous.
    The company is growing pretty fast, so there's the typical "who owns what / stepping on toes" dance that seems to always happen during times of fast growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a solid, mandatory onboarding program that includes all global offices. What you've got is a start, but it could be a differentiator.

Really great people and an exciting place to work

New York, NY

ProsMediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day. We solve really hard problems and we are given a lot of freedom and encouragement to try new tools and technologies. Our technology stack this year is materially different than 18 months ago and 18 months prior to that. We are constantly challenging industry norms and our own in a good productive way.

People at mediamath really care about the company. They care about changing and industry and about doing it with people we consider friends. The team is full of genuinely good people.

The company is growing like crazy so its a wild ride, but we have a lot of fun at the same time. The management team does an excellent job listening to the employees and soliciting input about what we are doing right and where we can improve.

lots of company perks like cell phones, food, monthly parties, standing desks, big dual monitors, and bagel fridays

Constypical challenges of fast growing companies. constant change, frequent reorganizations, remaining focused on the top goals and simply scaling an organization to capture opportunities. These make the ride a bit bumpy but when you are all working for the same goal we recognize why its happening.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focused on the goals, communicate them clearly and to drive them relentlessly. Keep up the great work!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Talent Acquisition

Recruiter (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat company and people. A lot of opportunity for growth

Consnone yet. So far everything has been great.

Smart, hard-working, engaged employees! Great atmosphere.

Upper Management (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsMediaMath is a great place to work for a number of reasons: 1) you are always surrounded by extremely smart people who work really hard 2) these hard working people also know how to have fun and laugh off the stress of a fast paced, intense job 3) employees are treated as equals, it's a very flat organization 4) the career opportunities allow you to advance in a number of ways - lateral across departments, upward via promotion, overseas for new experiences and more 5) it's great to be defending and growing an industry-leading position rather than scrambling to get to the top!

ConsIf you don't like to work hard in a fast-paced industry, MediaMath isn't for you.

Exciting Work Environment

New York, NY

ProsEveryone at MediaMath seems smart, dedicated,willing to think outside the box and very friendly. Management is supportive and encourages their employees to learn and grow within the company. During my interview process my recruiter said growth was very important as a "Math Value" and they hire people who are smart and ambitious. I have worked for many companies who don't want their employees to grow and are vocal about that. Feels great to be working for a company where employees are given tools to succeed!

ConsCompany is growing so fast they have run out of places for people to sit. People sit very close together

Excellent Internship Opportunity at a Growing Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe work environment and company culture both are excellent, fostered by a group of intelligent, motivated, and team-oriented employees. Everyone enjoys what they do and always makes everybody feel welcomed and accepted no matter what their position in the organization. I couldn't have asked for a better place to intern.

ConsSince the company is growing and has a limited amount of space, desk sizes are somewhat tiny. Despite this, the spaces are usable and are conducive to most everyone's needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven the pace at which MediaMath is growing, management should consider offering interns a full-time job opportunity at the end of their internships in order to show that MediaMath is serious about retaining and developing employees.

Enjoy every moment working here!

Core Software Test Engineer (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros1. Great place for people to learn and grow, especially for young graduates who just come out of school without any work experience. At MediaMath, you have the opportunity to work with all those smart Math Men and Women. People come from different backgrounds and bring their brilliant ideas all to MediaMath.
    2. MediaMath is Engineering based. All of the people here appreciate what the engineering team does to help the company grow tremendously. So if you are a tech geek like me, this is definitely the company that you would come and work for.
    3. Great culture. People are really nice and respectful to each other. If you are a newbie, your team members are always there to answer your questions. In the team meeting, everyone is encouraged to speak and challenge other people, even your manager by giving a better idea or method to continuously improve team work. Remember, critical thinking is always the key in MediaMath culture.
    4. Various activities. Biweekly War Room Demo and Quarterly Update allows you to be in the leading edge of the ad industry. As an employee, you're really involved with company strategy and growth. Almost forget this year we have our first Hackathon, It's really amazing to see demos of all these brilliant ideas such as Weather Targeting and Lady Lunch finished in just one short day and turning them into real products later this year. Also this summer the annual MediaMath cruise and happy summertime (rooftop bar) are coming back!
    5. Easy face to face talk with CEO, CTO and other senior managers. In MediaMath, everyone work hard and grow with the company. So if you have any good idea about anything which is beneficial to the company's growth, you are always welcome to speak with your manager.
    6. Annual personal goal setting for every employee. MediaMath makes sure your career goal is tied together with company goal.
    7. Flexible working time but fast pace and high efficiency. No 8 hours rule! No extra time during weekend! For engineering team, people usually come between 10 and 10:30 and you can leave before 5 if you finish your work. By the way, starting 2014, we have unlimited PTO!!!
    8. Great benefits. Dental and Vision are free plus from 2014 you only need to pay a small amount of money annually after upgrading health insurance from Cigna to Aetna. For 401K, MediaMath will match 50% of up to 6% of your annual income. Base salary is good and you receive bonus or even base salary increase every two quarters based on your goal setting and performance.
    9. Lots of food, snacks, and drinks. Grab some beers if you're feeling stuck. Not to mention Friday bagels, engineering team breakfast and weekly free massage. Pets are welcome here! ^-^

Cons1. MediaMath is currently expanding internationally. As we grow, the current Broadway headquarter seems a little small to hold more brilliant people coming in. But we will have a new headquarter in June 2015!!!
    2. Systematic training is needed for new employee, especially for engineering team, so that new employee can understand the product faster. Right now engineer team is working to update MediaMath wiki/blog and upload demo videos so that new hires can get familiar with their work more quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows, more experienced managers are needed from multiple fields but senior management is better to be relatively stable.

Great Growing Company

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsAdTech is an area that is just starting to take off and it's spectacular to be on the ground floor of a company that is really willing to listen to it's employees to ensure they have what they need to be successful. The benefits are top notch and there is a very laid back, friendly environment. I also feel like I have the support from my team (HR) to really grow into my career.

Best piece of advice- make sure to surround yourself with smart people and you can only grow from there! I feel like I've definitely done this at MediaMath.

ConsSometimes, things to feel a bit unorganized; however, it seems like things are slowly getting back on track as MediaMath listens to it's employees. In a company that grew as fast as MediaMath did, these things tend to happen.

Lack of space is an issue (when is it not!); however, I can see the wheels turning to fix issue so hopefully it will happen soon.

Great Benefits and Company Culture but Engineering is a mess

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBenefits are really awesome, they pay for your health insurance and give you FSA money. Overall there are smart engineers here and many opportunities to gain experience. Junior level and mid-level back-end engineers would benefit most, but expect to outgrow your job and your team quickly. Engineering management is enthusiastic and wants engineers to be successful - you do have the opportunity to propose and implement your own projects. You get a lot of freedom to implement your own solutions. Product is actually really nice and willing to give you more time to do things right. Very diverse work environment, people are treated fairly and respectfully regardless of gender or ethnic background.

ConsEngineering management lacks real tech experience. The department is very frantic and scattered without a solid long term vision. Poor handling of politics between teams, very immature environment, lots of junior high name-calling behind backs happening at management levels. Teams are not effectively managed, under-performing developers are not put on performance review plans or otherwise dealt with, and over-performing developers get rewarded with additional work the under-performing developers can't do. Teams don't work well together. Some teams are micromanaged to require detailed specifications in order to code anything, other teams work in silos and don't communicate with teams their code overlaps with. Finally, very limited opportunities for engineer advancement, very few truly "senior" engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with proven track records at major tech companies. Get rid of dead weight, you can't retain good engineers if you keep the bad apples around.

Worked for MediaMath? Contribute to the Community!

MediaMath Videos

MediaMath – Why Work for Us?

MediaMath: Empowering the new breed of marketing professionals The Mad Men of the 1960s helped define the way business has been done in our industry for the last 50 years. With the advent of digital technology… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MediaMath reviews and ratings in New York, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by MediaMath employees.