MediaMath

Updated November 1, 2014
4.5

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - Working hours are less than most other places (9-5 with an hour for lunch) (in 9 reviews)

• MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing extremely fast, larger facilities will eventually be needed (in 9 reviews)

• Definitely fast paced and a lot to constantly keep up with - but that's the whole industry, really (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

47 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Smart People, Smart Company, Smart Growth

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a vet of the ad tech industry, I have seen some pretty bad times in the start-up world. MediaMath is a reprieve from all that. The management is smart, the employees are dedicated, and there is a lot of cultural benefits to be had. Managers are dedicated to finding what employees are really good at and make a real effort to cultivate those positives.

Cons

In New York, the company is expanding so rapidly that we have three offices, so it can be a challenge getting face-to-face time with other employees even if they are in the same city as you. But that will be fixed next year, thankfully.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

MediaMath is a very special place to learn and grow fast.

Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Amazingly smart, fun, kind, and driven team. MediaMath has gone from an idea to a global player in seven years. The boldness of the team, a kind of high level of confidence without any arrogance, is the secret sauce I think. It's very easy to imagine our MarketingOS being the platform through which the Marketing function gets done around the globe by 2020. Nobody here seems to doubt it for a minute! The senior leaders being off-the-charts brilliant helps.

Cons

We move so fast (sometimes dizzyingly) that I always fear there's a risk we'll take a wrong turn. But so far so good. The culture of constructive debate is high so don't be under any illusions that a fancy title will make your ideas sacred in any way here. Ramping quickly is a must in order to thrive.

Don't mess up the good thing you've got going!

Best environment I've experienced by far

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone has an equity stake and I don't know if that's the secret sauce that makes everyone so aligned and the politics so low - but everyone is super-aligned on the vision of revolutionizing marketing and there's hardly any politics. It's a true meritocracy as far as I can see in terms of the biggest contributors getting the quickest advancement. MediaMath's also big on training - NMI and Marketing Engineering Program are industry-leading.

Cons

The work-life balance isn't always great. Don't think you can beat Google without some long hours!

The core culture is strong and should be celebrated and reinforced but at 550 employees now - we'll have to celebrate sub-cultures in departments and geos away from the NYC/Engineering heart of the company.

Great place that encourages innovation with little to no red tape!

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very collaborative environment with the encouragement to innovate with little to no red tape, which is great for those interested in building and improving processes. If you're the type to help a company during the growth stages this is the place to be!

Lots of office perks: Snacks, Massages, Manicures, Monthly Birthday Celebrations - You can't complain!

Personal growth is absolutely possible here and it is a company wide initiative to ensure all employees get to where they want to be in their career.

Cons

Naturally since we are growing so quickly, changes are constantly happening. One would have to be easily roll with the punches and adapt to stay on top of our evolving company and industry! Not a con for me but can be for some.

Management is pretty on par. Exec team has strong, smart, even genius leadership, who also know how to have fun.

Love my job and working for this company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

- My colleagues at MediaMath aren't just very smart. They're also very cool, friendly pleasures to work with. I feel lucky to work among such spirited individuals every day. This morale undoubtably trickles down from upper management; the C-level execs are the same way.
    - I feel challenged in my role every day (in a good way). The company is expanding fast, and therefore so are the scopes of our jobs. Never a dull moment. It's undoubtably an exciting time to be in AdTech.
    - New hire on-boarding and training impressed my from my first day on the job.
    - Benefits are great. Loads of food in the office, partially paid phone bill, 401K match, fun office culture.

Cons

I'm at a loss for words.

Keep up the good work.

Mostly positive experience working here but not without its flaws

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bright, talented, and motivated employees. You will learn a lot from the other people who work here if you make the effort to do so. It's generally easy to make things happen with little in the way of bureaucracy and to make your voice heard by your manager or your colleagues. Flexible working hours and what ultimately matters is getting the job done. Unlimited paid time off is nice in theory although I haven't made much use of it in practice. Free weekly massages are awesome. Abundant free food and beverages. Fun social events and many other efforts to integrate employees into company life.

Cons

Compensation is the biggest concern as it is below that of competitors in the industry and certainly below average in the broader technology sector. The culture and working environment is so positive that the consequences on employee attrition have been pretty minimal, but it has been and will continue to be an issue. Not all employees embody the collaborative spirit that we aspire to and can be difficult to work with or completely non-responsive.
    I know of at least one employee who is a poor performer and not well-regarded by peers who has worked here for a long time and received promotions purely through their personal relationships with senior management.
    For my functional role here, my learning curve has flattened considerably since earlier in my time here and it's unclear what are my career development prospects if I stay with my current group.

Spend more time paying attention to employee concerns around compensation and benefits. Paying below market is better for the company's bottom line but you will be losing good people in the long run if it doesn't change. Figure out who contributes to the company's goals and reward them, figure out who adds no value or is actively detrimental and put them on notice or get rid of them.

Great First Experience for New Grads

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are pretty brilliant, and collaboration is highly valued.
    Management is open with communication.
    The work is challenging but interesting - a lot of creative thinking is involved.
    They provide excellent training - ad tech is a very complex landscape, and they thoroughly prepare you for it.
    The new office at 4WTC is amazing - can't wait til we move.
    Benefits are pretty good - snacks in the kitchen, company parties, cell phone reimbursement, etc.
    There's an excellent culture - laid back, but still driven. Attire is more on the casual side of business casual.
    Constant push to learn and grow - training sessions, exposure to new things, etc.

Cons

Ad tech is constantly changing, very fast paced. Because of that, there is such a push to grow. The growth goals are ambitious, but sometimes pressure is put on the wrong people for not meeting them.

Keep hiring good people - HR is doing a fabulous job of this.
    The open communication between all levels is great; don't let that slip as we continue to grow.
    While the benefits are decent, they don't match other tech giants. As we keep growing, I hope they improve, which will better MM's pull for top talent.

Great company and great people!

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When I joined MediaMath, I was amazed by how welcoming and open its employees are. You will be integrated quickly and you will get interesting projects to work on with a lot of responsibilities.
    The work-life balance is exceptional: as long as the work is done, you are free to organize your time between office and home, work and time-off, etc.

Cons

As a very fast-growing company, MediaMath sometimes needs more structure to be efficient. Getting information on existing features / projects can be challenging as you have to discuss with a lot of people.

Give more global directions and information to your employees: where is the company headed, what are the threats that we are facing, what are we doing to deal with them, etc.

Exactly what I was looking for as a next step in my career!

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Positive, collaborative, and inclusive environment. Fast paced. Interesting/stimulating projects. Overall great culture.

Cons

Haven't come across any cons yet! Very positive experience so far.

Keep up the great work.

Pl

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath as an intern

Pros

Growing very quickly. Everyone is very excited to be there. The team I worked with was incredible. Lot's of opportunities to grow and move within the company.

Cons

Not many con's of working here. It was an incredible experience, only negative was that they are in a transitional period (location wise) and the current space is much more corporate then the previous space. The new location is going to be beautiful though.