MediaMath

Updated Mar 12, 2014

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki

Joe Zawadzki

Would not reccommend

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than a year

ProsInnovative company that has the right vision
Salary is decent
Office is nice; modern sleek
Free breakfast and snacks everyday
Upper management is intelligent
Operations is streamlined which is a great position to be in for a startup

ConsMiddle management needs major improvement
Re-structuring occurs way too often - different teams, new people , etc
They do no invest in their employees at all
No training
Expected to sit and work through lunch
Teams heavily divided professionally (lack of communication) and personally (too many elitiests/rude people)

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees. You have a million other competitors out there especially in the digital start up world where they can find a job. Re-structuring a million times is not going to make your business successful. Try investing in your employees, and see how far your business will go.

Has potential

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is one of the top companies within its competitors.
It has Intelligent executive leaders.
It is a fast growing company.
It has the potential to exit well.

ConsUnfair compensation to employees.
Leadership more focused on exit opportunities than investing in employees.
Threaten to quit for fair pay or promotion is the norm.
Hire inexperienced managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe biggest asset to any start-up is it's employees, invest and pay market value to your employees.

Good luck if you work in a satellite office

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for more than a year

ProsMediaMath can be a fun company to work for and it is growing fast and it seems like there are good opportunities on the horizon. The executive team is made up of extremely smart and motivating individuals.

ConsCompensation is low and benefits are expensive. Good luck trying to get ahead or noticed if you work in a satellite office. HR only seems to care about getting good reviews on job boards, but when it comes to actually listening to employee questions and concerns, they disappear and/or seem completely clueless. They appear to be incapable of handling the company's rapid growth. The HR business partners have no idea what is happening if you don't work out of the NY office.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees below a senior level and implement changes to improve morale. Make sure your visions trickle down to even the lowest level employees.

Challenging

Sales Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

ProsGreat technology but does not know how to support sales people.

ConsIncompetent Sales leadership, especially at the VP level.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore autonomy for individual contributors.

Used to be on a great path...

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people, problem solvers, collaborative work environment

ConsThe organization as a whole is very disorganized. Everything is done extremely last minute so there are constant fire drills that distract from real goals. There is a re-org and change of focus for the company every few months. The executive team rarely communicates to the rest of the company and can't even get on the same page. There are a couple brilliant minds on that team and a couple that no one has any idea what they do and contribute very little value if any. Very little room for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized, stay focused for more than 6 months at a time.

There a much better places to work in the industry than MediaMath

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of vacation time
Smart people
Good benefits and perks

ConsLow compensation compared to other companies in the industry
make employees fearful of leaving (i.e. Non-compete agreement, which is very broad in terms of language). Could hinder future opportunities to better yourselves.
Company is heavily divided internally.
Not a sales focused organization
HR department is terrible

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep with your competition in terms of compensation.
Design a better on-boarding process for new employees
Become a more sales focused organization

Can be a great place if motivated

New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath

Pros- Fast growing and innovative
- Intelligent and very experienced business leaders for management
- Great people and great working environment
- Lots of room for growth and career opportunities (if politics are played correctly)

Cons- Very low pay in comparison to competitors and other firms in the industry
- 401(k)
- Career growth and opportunities are only given to star performers (Top 1 or 2) and need to be played with basic office politics
- Always reogranizing the company structure

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow and develop your current hires rather than hiring "experienced" talent. Your older employees know your business much better than the so-called "experienced" hires.

Great Benefits and Company Culture but Engineering is a mess

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at MediaMath full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are really awesome, they pay for your health insurance and give you FSA money. Overall there are smart engineers here and many opportunities to gain experience. Junior level and mid-level back-end engineers would benefit most, but expect to outgrow your job and your team quickly. Engineering management is enthusiastic and wants engineers to be successful - you do have the opportunity to propose and implement your own projects. You get a lot of freedom to implement your own solutions. Product is actually really nice and willing to give you more time to do things right. Very diverse work environment, people are treated fairly and respectfully regardless of gender or ethnic background.

ConsEngineering management lacks real tech experience. The department is very frantic and scattered without a solid long term vision. Poor handling of politics between teams, very immature environment, lots of junior high name-calling behind backs happening at management levels. Teams are not effectively managed, under-performing developers are not put on performance review plans or otherwise dealt with, and over-performing developers get rewarded with additional work the under-performing developers can't do. Teams don't work well together. Some teams are micromanaged to require detailed specifications in order to code anything, other teams work in silos and don't communicate with teams their code overlaps with. Finally, very limited opportunities for engineer advancement, very few truly "senior" engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with proven track records at major tech companies. Get rid of dead weight, you can't retain good engineers if you keep the bad apples around.

Brilliant minds, but the folks running the show day-to-day? Complete disconnect. Unpleasant most times. In-fighting.

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at MediaMath full-time

ProsTo learn from some of the most brilliant minds in math, statistics, performance metrics while laughing at the sharp, snarky humor.

ConsSecrets, don't say this or that, especially to that person. No one taught me so why should I help you? A lot of throwing others under the bus. Very sad circumstance and culture during the time I was there, and I believe MediaMath is a phenomenal company which will go very far. I wish I could have been there during a better time, to shine rather than cower in fear.

Great Growing Company

Human Resources (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

ProsAdTech is an area that is just starting to take off and it's spectacular to be on the ground floor of a company that is really willing to listen to it's employees to ensure they have what they need to be successful. The benefits are top notch and there is a very laid back, friendly environment. I also feel like I have the support from my team (HR) to really grow into my career.

Best piece of advice- make sure to surround yourself with smart people and you can only grow from there! I feel like I've definitely done this at MediaMath.

ConsSometimes, things to feel a bit unorganized; however, it seems like things are slowly getting back on track as MediaMath listens to it's employees. In a company that grew as fast as MediaMath did, these things tend to happen.

Lack of space is an issue (when is it not!); however, I can see the wheels turning to fix issue so hopefully it will happen soon.

Worked for MediaMath? Contribute to the Community!

MediaMath Videos

MediaMath – Why Work for Us?

MediaMath: Empowering the new breed of marketing professionals The Mad Men of the 1960s helped define the way business has been done in our industry for the last 50 years. With the advent of digital technology… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at MediaMath reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by MediaMath employees.