MediaMath Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
4.5

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance - Working hours are less than most other places (9-5 with an hour for lunch) (in 8 reviews)

• Very diverse work environment, people are treated fairly and respectfully regardless of gender or ethnic background (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing extremely fast, larger facilities will eventually be needed (in 9 reviews)

• Definitely fast paced and a lot to constantly keep up with - but that's the whole industry, really (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Mostly positive experience working here but not without its flaws

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bright, talented, and motivated employees. You will learn a lot from the other people who work here if you make the effort to do so. It's generally easy to make things happen with little in the way of bureaucracy and to make your voice heard by your manager or your colleagues. Flexible working hours and what ultimately matters is getting the job done. Unlimited paid time off is nice in theory although I haven't made much use of it in practice. Free weekly massages are awesome. Abundant free food and beverages. Fun social events and many other efforts to integrate employees into company life.

Cons

Compensation is the biggest concern as it is below that of competitors in the industry and certainly below average in the broader technology sector. The culture and working environment is so positive that the consequences on employee attrition have been pretty minimal, but it has been and will continue to be an issue. Not all employees embody the collaborative spirit that we aspire to and can be difficult to work with or completely non-responsive.
    I know of at least one employee who is a poor performer and not well-regarded by peers who has worked here for a long time and received promotions purely through their personal relationships with senior management.
    For my functional role here, my learning curve has flattened considerably since earlier in my time here and it's unclear what are my career development prospects if I stay with my current group.

Spend more time paying attention to employee concerns around compensation and benefits. Paying below market is better for the company's bottom line but you will be losing good people in the long run if it doesn't change. Figure out who contributes to the company's goals and reward them, figure out who adds no value or is actively detrimental and put them on notice or get rid of them.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work as a backend programmer for MediaMath London and I have to admit this is probably the best place I've ever worked. Lots of opportunities, very genuine hard working people. All the trappings associates with a tech startup... arcade machines, free food, free beer, LAN parties etc.

I've also found that in the last year I've been really encouraged to adopt new technologies (new for me) such as GO programming.

Cons

Hmmm... I've put on a lot of weight since joining :)

Keep it up!

Best place I've worked in over a decade.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have to say my experience at MediaMath is a bright spot in my many years of working in corporate America. I've worked for companies of all sizes and industries. MediaMath is a standout. It's the second best job I've ever has and is a contender to be number one. What makes MediaMath great is simple—it starts at the top. MediaMath's Executive team is top notch. Not only are they fantastic leaders and thinkers, they are most importantly decent people. This sense of intellectual excellence, coupled with a sincere interest in helping everyone grow and get better makes an amazing environment.

Cons

There's not a lot of downside to MediaMath. All companies suffer growing pains. MediaMath has grown exponentially over the last three years. The associated hiccups are noting compared to the upside of the company growth and the exciting atmosphere.

Keep the bar high and keep moving it higher. Great people together accomplish great things.

Constantly learning in an ever-evolving industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people, technology and culture! Its an exciting industry to be part of, theres a constant buzz and the people are great. Excellent benefits and there's a clear path to progression.

Cons

As the company expands, there have been some changes including the implementation of new processes. This is expected however and hasn't really caused any issues.

Keep up the great work! As the company grows it will become ever more important to retain the great culture.

Great company and great people!

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When I joined MediaMath, I was amazed by how welcoming and open its employees are. You will be integrated quickly and you will get interesting projects to work on with a lot of responsibilities.
    The work-life balance is exceptional: as long as the work is done, you are free to organize your time between office and home, work and time-off, etc.

Cons

As a very fast-growing company, MediaMath sometimes needs more structure to be efficient. Getting information on existing features / projects can be challenging as you have to discuss with a lot of people.

Give more global directions and information to your employees: where is the company headed, what are the threats that we are facing, what are we doing to deal with them, etc.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

welcoming atmosphere, great team, everyone has a common goal, management support. everyone works well together and helps each other out. a work-hard play-hard team! I only joined 2 months ago and feel that I am a contributing member to the team and company. Starting was a seamless transition for me and I was immediately able to start working on existing QA process/tools to help make them better and more efficient. Senior management also seems to really care about the individual employees.

Cons

commute, but I knew that coming in. the health benefits are medium, not horrible but not great.

get more peer recognition programs in place, consider using an online kudos program

Great First Experience for New Grads

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are pretty brilliant, and collaboration is highly valued.
    Management is open with communication.
    The work is challenging but interesting - a lot of creative thinking is involved.
    They provide excellent training - ad tech is a very complex landscape, and they thoroughly prepare you for it.
    The new office at 4WTC is amazing - can't wait til we move.
    Benefits are pretty good - snacks in the kitchen, company parties, cell phone reimbursement, etc.
    There's an excellent culture - laid back, but still driven. Attire is more on the casual side of business casual.
    Constant push to learn and grow - training sessions, exposure to new things, etc.

Cons

Ad tech is constantly changing, very fast paced. Because of that, there is such a push to grow. The growth goals are ambitious, but sometimes pressure is put on the wrong people for not meeting them.

Keep hiring good people - HR is doing a fabulous job of this.
    The open communication between all levels is great; don't let that slip as we continue to grow.
    While the benefits are decent, they don't match other tech giants. As we keep growing, I hope they improve, which will better MM's pull for top talent.

Exactly what I was looking for as a next step in my career!

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Positive, collaborative, and inclusive environment. Fast paced. Interesting/stimulating projects. Overall great culture.

Cons

Haven't come across any cons yet! Very positive experience so far.

Keep up the great work.

Pl

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath as an intern

Pros

Growing very quickly. Everyone is very excited to be there. The team I worked with was incredible. Lot's of opportunities to grow and move within the company.

Cons

Not many con's of working here. It was an incredible experience, only negative was that they are in a transitional period (location wise) and the current space is much more corporate then the previous space. The new location is going to be beautiful though.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, NM

I have been working at MediaMath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly staff, great perks, relaxed atmosphere, care about your growth. Fast paced and cutting edge making for a riveting work week.

Cons

Pay could be matched for what is the going rate.