MediaMath

MediaMath Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki

Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day (in 9 reviews)

• Best work/life balance of any company I've worked for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the company is growing and has a limited amount of space, desk sizes are somewhat tiny (in 9 reviews)

• We're short on conference rooms and desks, which is frustrating at times (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsEveryone at MediaMath seems smart, dedicated,willing to think outside the box and very friendly. Management is supportive and encourages their employees to learn and grow within the company. During my interview process my recruiter said growth was very important as a "Math Value" and they hire people who are smart and ambitious. I have worked for many companies who don't want their employees to grow and are vocal about that. Feels great to be working for a company where employees are given tools to succeed!

ConsCompany is growing so fast they have run out of places for people to sit. People sit very close together

Excellent Internship Opportunity at a Growing Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe work environment and company culture both are excellent, fostered by a group of intelligent, motivated, and team-oriented employees. Everyone enjoys what they do and always makes everybody feel welcomed and accepted no matter what their position in the organization. I couldn't have asked for a better place to intern.

ConsSince the company is growing and has a limited amount of space, desk sizes are somewhat tiny. Despite this, the spaces are usable and are conducive to most everyone's needs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven the pace at which MediaMath is growing, management should consider offering interns a full-time job opportunity at the end of their internships in order to show that MediaMath is serious about retaining and developing employees.

Enjoy every moment working here!

Core Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros1. Great place for people to learn and grow, especially for young graduates who just come out of school without any work experience. At MediaMath, you have the opportunity to work with all those smart Math Men and Women. People come from different backgrounds and bring their brilliant ideas all to MediaMath.
    2. MediaMath is Engineering based. All of the people here appreciate what the engineering team does to help the company grow tremendously. So if you are a tech geek like me, this is definitely the company that you would come and work for.
    3. Great culture. People are really nice and respectful to each other. If you are a newbie, your team members are always there to answer your questions. In the team meeting, everyone is encouraged to speak and challenge other people, even your manager by giving a better idea or method to continuously improve team work. Remember, critical thinking is always the key in MediaMath culture.
    4. Various activities. Biweekly War Room Demo and Quarterly Update allows you to be in the leading edge of the ad industry. As an employee, you're really involved with company strategy and growth. Almost forget this year we have our first Hackathon, It's really amazing to see demos of all these brilliant ideas such as Weather Targeting and Lady Lunch finished in just one short day and turning them into real products later this year. Also this summer the annual MediaMath cruise and happy summertime (rooftop bar) are coming back!
    5. Easy face to face talk with CEO, CTO and other senior managers. In MediaMath, everyone work hard and grow with the company. So if you have any good idea about anything which is beneficial to the company's growth, you are always welcome to speak with your manager.
    6. Annual personal goal setting for every employee. MediaMath makes sure your career goal is tied together with company goal.
    7. Flexible working time but fast pace and high efficiency. No 8 hours rule! No extra time during weekend! For engineering team, people usually come between 10 and 10:30 and you can leave before 5 if you finish your work. By the way, starting 2014, we have unlimited PTO!!!
    8. Great benefits. Dental and Vision are free plus from 2014 you only need to pay a small amount of money annually after upgrading health insurance from Cigna to Aetna. For 401K, MediaMath will match 50% of up to 6% of your annual income. Base salary is good and you receive bonus or even base salary increase every two quarters based on your goal setting and performance.
    9. Lots of food, snacks, and drinks. Grab some beers if you're feeling stuck. Not to mention Friday bagels, engineering team breakfast and weekly free massage. Pets are welcome here! ^-^

Cons1. MediaMath is currently expanding internationally. As we grow, the current Broadway headquarter seems a little small to hold more brilliant people coming in. But we will have a new headquarter in June 2015!!!
    2. Systematic training is needed for new employee, especially for engineering team, so that new employee can understand the product faster. Right now engineer team is working to update MediaMath wiki/blog and upload demo videos so that new hires can get familiar with their work more quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows, more experienced managers are needed from multiple fields but senior management is better to be relatively stable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good luck if you work in a satellite office

ProsMediaMath can be a fun company to work for and it is growing fast and it seems like there are good opportunities on the horizon. The executive team is made up of extremely smart and motivating individuals.

ConsCompensation is low and benefits are expensive. Good luck trying to get ahead or noticed if you work in a satellite office. HR only seems to care about getting good reviews on job boards, but when it comes to actually listening to employee questions and concerns, they disappear and/or seem completely clueless. They appear to be incapable of handling the company's rapid growth. The HR business partners have no idea what is happening if you don't work out of the NY office.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees below a senior level and implement changes to improve morale. Make sure your visions trickle down to even the lowest level employees.

Great Growing Company

Human Resources (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAdTech is an area that is just starting to take off and it's spectacular to be on the ground floor of a company that is really willing to listen to it's employees to ensure they have what they need to be successful. The benefits are top notch and there is a very laid back, friendly environment. I also feel like I have the support from my team (HR) to really grow into my career.

Best piece of advice- make sure to surround yourself with smart people and you can only grow from there! I feel like I've definitely done this at MediaMath.

ConsSometimes, things to feel a bit unorganized; however, it seems like things are slowly getting back on track as MediaMath listens to it's employees. In a company that grew as fast as MediaMath did, these things tend to happen.

Lack of space is an issue (when is it not!); however, I can see the wheels turning to fix issue so hopefully it will happen soon.

Good work experience overall

Account Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPros: good hours (people get in around 9:30 or 10 and leave around 6); relaxed work environment & freedom to work from home when you need to; free snacks, drinks and chair massages; benefits are pretty good

ConsCons: NY office is a bit crammed (trading-desk style desks); pay is not that great

Great Benefits and Company Culture but Engineering is a mess

Software Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBenefits are really awesome, they pay for your health insurance and give you FSA money. Overall there are smart engineers here and many opportunities to gain experience. Junior level and mid-level back-end engineers would benefit most, but expect to outgrow your job and your team quickly. Engineering management is enthusiastic and wants engineers to be successful - you do have the opportunity to propose and implement your own projects. You get a lot of freedom to implement your own solutions. Product is actually really nice and willing to give you more time to do things right. Very diverse work environment, people are treated fairly and respectfully regardless of gender or ethnic background.

ConsEngineering management lacks real tech experience. The department is very frantic and scattered without a solid long term vision. Poor handling of politics between teams, very immature environment, lots of junior high name-calling behind backs happening at management levels. Teams are not effectively managed, under-performing developers are not put on performance review plans or otherwise dealt with, and over-performing developers get rewarded with additional work the under-performing developers can't do. Teams don't work well together. Some teams are micromanaged to require detailed specifications in order to code anything, other teams work in silos and don't communicate with teams their code overlaps with. Finally, very limited opportunities for engineer advancement, very few truly "senior" engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with proven track records at major tech companies. Get rid of dead weight, you can't retain good engineers if you keep the bad apples around.

Dynamic hot company, full of smart, dedicated people.

Engineering (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe company is built around a group of very smart people. The workplace is fairly friendly, working hours are decent. The company has good prospects due to the leading position in this hot industry. Free snacks and soda.

ConsThe compensation and benefits could be improved upon. Turnaround is fairly high in some departments. Individual work spaces are very small, the desks are crammed together one into another, without real separation between them. Because there are no cubicles/walls, the noise level may be too high for some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in direct contact with regular employees to find out what goes on within the ranks. Decide what the main product is, and focus efforts in that direction.

Great Company

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHigh energy, innovative, growing quickly, collaborate environment, focused on continuous improvement, great teams of people, fun environment and very smart employees.

People love working here. I've never been in an environment before where so many people love what they do.

ConsRunning out of space due to growth.

Great Technology, Even Better Culture

Senior Manager, Technical Account (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTremendous growth! Smart, fun coworkers! Free breakfast, massages, new cell phone of your choice, regular happy hours.

ConsFrequent reorganizations over the time I have been with the company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep recognizing great performance across the company. Keeps company moral super high.

Worked for MediaMath? Contribute to the Community!