MediaMath Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
4.4

MediaMath CEO Joe Zawadzki
Joe Zawadzki

Pros
  • MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day (in 9 reviews)

• Best work/life balance of any company I've worked for (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Since the company is growing and has a limited amount of space, desk sizes are somewhat tiny (in 9 reviews)

• We're short on conference rooms and desks, which is frustrating at times (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Really great people and an exciting place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time

Pros

MediaMath hires really smart people and challenges them every day. We solve really hard problems and we are given a lot of freedom and encouragement to try new tools and technologies. Our technology stack this year is materially different than 18 months ago and 18 months prior to that. We are constantly challenging industry norms and our own in a good productive way.

People at mediamath really care about the company. They care about changing and industry and about doing it with people we consider friends. The team is full of genuinely good people.

The company is growing like crazy so its a wild ride, but we have a lot of fun at the same time. The management team does an excellent job listening to the employees and soliciting input about what we are doing right and where we can improve.

lots of company perks like cell phones, food, monthly parties, standing desks, big dual monitors, and bagel fridays

Cons

typical challenges of fast growing companies. constant change, frequent reorganizations, remaining focused on the top goals and simply scaling an organization to capture opportunities. These make the ride a bit bumpy but when you are all working for the same goal we recognize why its happening.

Keep focused on the goals, communicate them clearly and to drive them relentlessly. Keep up the great work!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are smart and nice. Efficient and well-organized working processes. Free climate. Flexible working time. I live far so I'm allowed to work from home two days a week. And my working time on commuter trains are counted. Good compensation. Emails are only used for important announcements or system generated notifications. Most of communications are done via instance messaging in the chat room, which saves tons of time.

Cons

Not really. I'm really satisfied.

tons of responsibility & opportunity, great work/life balance

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing Side  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing Side in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is good, the unlimited paid time off policy is awesome.
    Best work/life balance of any company I've worked for. It's very family friendly, which really struck me when I interviewed. Tons of photos of "MediaMath babies" on the walls, and excitement around new moms and dads coming back from their mat/pat leave.
    Fun company parties like karaoke, world cup parties, that kind of thing.
    Expectations are really high, and there's lots of freedom (and expectation) that you'll figure out how to accomplish whatever tasks have been set out. It's great for personal growth that way.
    They take a very pro-active approach to employee feedback. There's a company-wide satisfaction survey every 6 months, and they not only share the results with everyone, but create real action plans around places of dissatisfaction. It's not ignored or hidden.

Cons

The office spaces in NYC are sufficient and usable, but nothing glamorous (at least not yet! will change when we get our new headquarters next spring!). Chicago is building out a new office, which will be gorgeous.
    The company is growing pretty fast, so there's the typical "who owns what / stepping on toes" dance that seems to always happen during times of fast growth.

Get a solid, mandatory onboarding program that includes all global offices. What you've got is a start, but it could be a differentiator.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would never work there

Current Employee - Technical Writer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Writer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are good
    Chair massages onc ea week

Cons

Management is lost
    Development team is great, the management is micromanaged and then ignored when they have ideas
    projects are started and then abandoned
    People are leaving in droves because of management

Stop thinking that merging with more companies and then having your development team run by external people who aren't even in the location where the development team is, is the right way to go. Your development is leaving because of management.

Talent Acquisition

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company and people. A lot of opportunity for growth

Cons

none yet. So far everything has been great.

Excellent Internship Opportunity at a Growing Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaMath as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The work environment and company culture both are excellent, fostered by a group of intelligent, motivated, and team-oriented employees. Everyone enjoys what they do and always makes everybody feel welcomed and accepted no matter what their position in the organization. I couldn't have asked for a better place to intern.

Cons

Since the company is growing and has a limited amount of space, desk sizes are somewhat tiny. Despite this, the spaces are usable and are conducive to most everyone's needs.

Given the pace at which MediaMath is growing, management should consider offering interns a full-time job opportunity at the end of their internships in order to show that MediaMath is serious about retaining and developing employees.

Smart, hard-working, engaged employees! Great atmosphere.

Current Employee - Upper Management  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Upper Management in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for more than a year

Pros

MediaMath is a great place to work for a number of reasons: 1) you are always surrounded by extremely smart people who work really hard 2) these hard working people also know how to have fun and laugh off the stress of a fast paced, intense job 3) employees are treated as equals, it's a very flat organization 4) the career opportunities allow you to advance in a number of ways - lateral across departments, upward via promotion, overseas for new experiences and more 5) it's great to be defending and growing an industry-leading position rather than scrambling to get to the top!

Cons

If you don't like to work hard in a fast-paced industry, MediaMath isn't for you.

Exciting Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Everyone at MediaMath seems smart, dedicated,willing to think outside the box and very friendly. Management is supportive and encourages their employees to learn and grow within the company. During my interview process my recruiter said growth was very important as a "Math Value" and they hire people who are smart and ambitious. I have worked for many companies who don't want their employees to grow and are vocal about that. Feels great to be working for a company where employees are given tools to succeed!

Cons

Company is growing so fast they have run out of places for people to sit. People sit very close together

Enjoy every moment working here!

Current Employee - Core Software Test Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Core Software Test Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Great place for people to learn and grow, especially for young graduates who just come out of school without any work experience. At MediaMath, you have the opportunity to work with all those smart Math Men and Women. People come from different backgrounds and bring their brilliant ideas all to MediaMath.
    2. MediaMath is Engineering based. All of the people here appreciate what the engineering team does to help the company grow tremendously. So if you are a tech geek like me, this is definitely the company that you would come and work for.
    3. Great culture. People are really nice and respectful to each other. If you are a newbie, your team members are always there to answer your questions. In the team meeting, everyone is encouraged to speak and challenge other people, even your manager by giving a better idea or method to continuously improve team work. Remember, critical thinking is always the key in MediaMath culture.
    4. Various activities. Biweekly War Room Demo and Quarterly Update allows you to be in the leading edge of the ad industry. As an employee, you're really involved with company strategy and growth. Almost forget this year we have our first Hackathon, It's really amazing to see demos of all these brilliant ideas such as Weather Targeting and Lady Lunch finished in just one short day and turning them into real products later this year. Also this summer the annual MediaMath cruise and happy summertime (rooftop bar) are coming back!
    5. Easy face to face talk with CEO, CTO and other senior managers. In MediaMath, everyone work hard and grow with the company. So if you have any good idea about anything which is beneficial to the company's growth, you are always welcome to speak with your manager.
    6. Annual personal goal setting for every employee. MediaMath makes sure your career goal is tied together with company goal.
    7. Flexible working time but fast pace and high efficiency. No 8 hours rule! No extra time during weekend! For engineering team, people usually come between 10 and 10:30 and you can leave before 5 if you finish your work. By the way, starting 2014, we have unlimited PTO!!!
    8. Great benefits. Dental and Vision are free plus from 2014 you only need to pay a small amount of money annually after upgrading health insurance from Cigna to Aetna. For 401K, MediaMath will match 50% of up to 6% of your annual income. Base salary is good and you receive bonus or even base salary increase every two quarters based on your goal setting and performance.
    9. Lots of food, snacks, and drinks. Grab some beers if you're feeling stuck. Not to mention Friday bagels, engineering team breakfast and weekly free massage. Pets are welcome here! ^-^

Cons

1. MediaMath is currently expanding internationally. As we grow, the current Broadway headquarter seems a little small to hold more brilliant people coming in. But we will have a new headquarter in June 2015!!!
    2. Systematic training is needed for new employee, especially for engineering team, so that new employee can understand the product faster. Right now engineer team is working to update MediaMath wiki/blog and upload demo videos so that new hires can get familiar with their work more quickly.

As the company grows, more experienced managers are needed from multiple fields but senior management is better to be relatively stable.

Great Growing Company

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at MediaMath full-time for less than a year

Pros

AdTech is an area that is just starting to take off and it's spectacular to be on the ground floor of a company that is really willing to listen to it's employees to ensure they have what they need to be successful. The benefits are top notch and there is a very laid back, friendly environment. I also feel like I have the support from my team (HR) to really grow into my career.

Best piece of advice- make sure to surround yourself with smart people and you can only grow from there! I feel like I've definitely done this at MediaMath.

Cons

Sometimes, things to feel a bit unorganized; however, it seems like things are slowly getting back on track as MediaMath listens to it's employees. In a company that grew as fast as MediaMath did, these things tend to happen.

Lack of space is an issue (when is it not!); however, I can see the wheels turning to fix issue so hopefully it will happen soon.

Worked for MediaMath? Contribute to the Community!