MediaNews

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CHANGING WITH THE TIMES - MediaNews Group

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at MediaNews

Pros

MediaNews Group is a newspaper company, however there is also an Interactive division. Unlike other newspaper companies, Dean Singleton and management are dedicated to keeping up with the times to invest in online news too. We are also privately owned by Dean, so our decisions don't come from shareholders. Instead, Dean makes all decisions. Leaves room for flexibility!

Cons

The newspaper industry is obviously declining, but with our Interactive division, we're working towards online-where most of us check our news now-a-days.

Keep in touch with employees closer.

Newspaper is dying - fast.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at MediaNews full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a few really good people. The Denver office is a very nice facility - but only until they are able to unload it.

Cons

Leadership is still trying to buck the downward spiral that is newspaper and failing. There is a policy of no performance reviews because a positive performance review might imply that a raise is due. There have been few if any raises for the last three years. They are still cutting expenses, i.e. labor costs at a tremendous rate. And, still no 401k match.

Take a cue from Gannett and Tribune. Consolidate, centralize, and standardize your operations now rather than wait for everything to fall apart on it's own. Stop trying to make a content play in the digital space when the entire industry, especially the advertisers and marketing agencies, is moving toward analytics and operational efficiency.

learn quickly and move on

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at MediaNews

Pros

name recognition and good office location for Denver professionals

Cons

spotty technical execution of online ad serving customer service, overworked staff

hire more qualified people and more resources to get the job done well, provide more opportunities for career growth

Worked for MediaNews? Contribute to the Community!