MediaNews

Dean Singleton

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

CHANGING WITH THE TIMES - MediaNews Group

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsMediaNews Group is a newspaper company, however there is also an Interactive division. Unlike other newspaper companies, Dean Singleton and management are dedicated to keeping up with the times to invest in online news too. We are also privately owned by Dean, so our decisions don't come from shareholders. Instead, Dean makes all decisions. Leaves room for flexibility!

ConsThe newspaper industry is obviously declining, but with our Interactive division, we're working towards online-where most of us check our news now-a-days.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in touch with employees closer.

Newspaper is dying - fast.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThere are a few really good people. The Denver office is a very nice facility - but only until they are able to unload it.

ConsLeadership is still trying to buck the downward spiral that is newspaper and failing. There is a policy of no performance reviews because a positive performance review might imply that a raise is due. There have been few if any raises for the last three years. They are still cutting expenses, i.e. labor costs at a tremendous rate. And, still no 401k match.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a cue from Gannett and Tribune. Consolidate, centralize, and standardize your operations now rather than wait for everything to fall apart on it's own. Stop trying to make a content play in the digital space when the entire industry, especially the advertisers and marketing agencies, is moving toward analytics and operational efficiency.

learn quickly and move on

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

Prosname recognition and good office location for Denver professionals

Consspotty technical execution of online ad serving customer service, overworked staff

Advice to Senior Managementhire more qualified people and more resources to get the job done well, provide more opportunities for career growth

Worked for MediaNews? Contribute to the Community!