MediaNews Reviews

Dean Singleton

1. It was okay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MediaNews full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good, knowledgeable people to work with.

Cons

Management can't stay focused. Ruthless -- even to each other.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say.

2. Unprofessional, Unethical, and Incompetent Management

Former Employee - Credit and Collections Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Credit and Collections Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

Pros

Decent pay, but benefits are poor.

Cons

Totally unprofessional environment and management (mainly in the credit and collections and cash dept at the SSC in Colorado Springs) has no clue what they are doing. They let people under-perform, call out as often as they want, and basically surf the internet all day with zero consequences. Then once management finds out, instead of punishing the low performers, they dump their work on the top performers, driving them out of the company (I was one of those people who kept getting more and more work, knew more than almost everyone there, but never was appreciated, so I quit). As a result, there has been an excessively high turnover rate with the company and even the temp agencies don't want to send any good employees to them anymore because of numerous complaints by existing employees. Several unethical things going on as well, it's a joke of a company. They never give raises and require that supervisors have bachelor's degrees, which is not a problem, except for the fact that that's all they require because the managers have no people skills or leadership skills whatsoever. I would not recommend this job to anyone in search of any kind of long term career.

Advice to Management

Get down in the trenches and actually learn what your employees are doing instead of just barking orders, having no idea what it actually takes to do the job. Get your sh** together ASAP, otherwise I would not be surprised at all to see this company go bankrupt in the not too distant future.

3. Cash Aquistion Specialist

Pros

Left alone to do job.

Cons

no review, never a raise. Only have to say something if negative.

Advice to Management

Value your employee they got you where you are.

5. Newspaper is dying - fast.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at MediaNews full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few really good people. The Denver office is a very nice facility - but only until they are able to unload it.

Cons

Leadership is still trying to buck the downward spiral that is newspaper and failing. There is a policy of no performance reviews because a positive performance review might imply that a raise is due. There have been few if any raises for the last three years. They are still cutting expenses, i.e. labor costs at a tremendous rate. And, still no 401k match.

Advice to Management

Take a cue from Gannett and Tribune. Consolidate, centralize, and standardize your operations now rather than wait for everything to fall apart on it's own. Stop trying to make a content play in the digital space when the entire industry, especially the advertisers and marketing agencies, is moving toward analytics and operational efficiency.

6. They think highly of themselves

I worked at MediaNews full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are in a dying industry and trying some really innovative ideas to reinvent themselves. Nice people!

Cons

No 401k matching. They will be quick to advise they offer a 401k, but they don't match. Company has many silos, and very poor internal communication.

Advice to Management

Better communication, break down the silos, get rid of the old guard, bring in some mid level to high level people from outside of the industry.

7. It is an exciting place to learn many venues of the newspaper business.

Former Employee - Ad Assistant in Red Bluff, CA
    Former Employee - Ad Assistant in Red Bluff, CA

I worked at MediaNews part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I won many awards based on my level of experience. My peers were n excellent source of learning my craft.

Cons

Lots of driving sometimes, 100 miles per day. Many accounts weren't disbursed very well to the right territories. My ad director had no experience in managing.

Advice to Management

Give the right person the job of working with employees. Make sure they are not in conflict with the staff.

8. This company doesn't care about its employees.

Former Employee - Reporter in Estes Park, CO
    Former Employee - Reporter in Estes Park, CO

I worked at MediaNews part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is big enough you can find a niche for your special interest(s) in journalism.

Cons

Dean Singleton is a miser. He grew up poor and instead of learning to care about those who work under him, he treats them as expendable. They pay low, poor if any benefits. They jimmied the heater so we couldn't turn it up in the winter. We were pretty cold. People started bringing in heaters and had them under their desks to keep warm. They had us working in the dark. I got eyestrain so bad my vision was blurring. They said they were willing to get me a lamp - as long as the price was under $10. I quit.

Advice to Management

Remember your employees do their best job when you treat them with concern and respect.

Low pay, dying industry, but kind of getting their act together

Current Employee - Copy Editor in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Copy Editor in Monterey, CA

I have been working at MediaNews full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

After years of floundering, Media News Group is finally making a serious effort to become a web-based news organization, having partnered with Digital First Media and substantially increasing online advertising sales. They now have a direction and a plan to save a dying industry be transforming it into web - and social media-savvy news organizationl

Cons

They pay is low, and there have been no raises for about five years.

Advice to Management

Find ways to offer more training to your willing and dedicated employees, who work like maniacs for low pay because they love the news business. Work for them even half as much as they work for you, and they will take you to profitability.

10. A great job, until the paper was purchased by a large media conglomerate and heads began to roll.

Current Employee - Design Editor in Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Design Editor in Loveland, CO

Pros

Great colleagues, and a place where a good degree of autonomy existed in which to do one's job, as long as guidelines and deadlines were met with regularity.

Cons

Underpaid profession. Print journalism is not the place to get rich, or even live comfortably.

Advice to Management

Management in a difficult position since sale of company to new overlords. New operational policies made it hard to continue to turn out a product in which one could be proud. Advise to management would have been to give greater weight to employees' opinions; they truly cared about their work, but the working culture sometimes created the impression that voicing opinions was an exercise in futility.

11. It's a job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

Pros

The only pro is you don't have to be that good to keep your job. You basically have to use a really bad word publicly to even get a notice.

Cons

Lack of leadership. Lack of opportunities. Managment doesn't care and it shows. People who try to do a good job are just put aside so not as to threaten anybody above them. Serious lack of leadership, wimpy in fact. There are maybe two people in charge who can make a decision to save their lives. When mistakes are made, so are excuses depending on who made the mistake. It's always "OK' or 'fine."

Advice to Management

It really seems like they don't care.

RSS Feed </> Embed