Mediacom Communications

Updated November 12, 2014
2.5

Mediacom Communications Chairman, Founder and CEO Rocco B. Commisso
Rocco B. Commisso

Pros
  • Discounted cable and internet is a nice perk (in 7 reviews)

• The only thing good is the Free cable and the pay is ok (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It does not matter if you are technical support or customer service there are high sales quotas (in 8 reviews)

• Low pay for the environment, manager of call center is not involved with reps (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A family company

I worked at Mediacom Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of good hard working people that are good at what they do. More access to higher level management than at most companies. Company takes employee moral seriously and plans often to recognize good employees and celebrates successes.

Cons

High stress at times, many positions can be 24/7 just due to the nature of the job. Some positions are overloaded with work,

Strive to create a good life/work balance among employees.

Get Skills ..Get Out

Former Employee - Direct Sales Supervisor in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Direct Sales Supervisor in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Mediacom Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to advance
    Willing to invest in training for management

Cons

Set up to fail
    Compensation for supervisors is not on par for what is asked of you
    Absolutely no work/life balance

Create a model for the outside sales team and stick to it. Offer the same opportunity for everyone to be successful, instead of just a couple of people.

It was not the best.

Former Employee - Direct Sales in Jefferson City, MO
    Former Employee - Direct Sales in Jefferson City, MO

I worked at Mediacom Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The flexibility of the job was the only pro.

Cons

Everything. Hourly e-mails, salary, etc. It was just an overall bad experience.

Find another job.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Service Tech
    Current Employee - Service Tech

I have been working at Mediacom Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work outside but not in the same place

Cons

They field test everything, and then we have to work out the bugs

Hard to move on up!

I worked at Mediacom Communications

Pros

If you kiss the right people you can move on up the ladder.

Cons

Very hard working with angry customers. Burn out very easy and fast.

Treat your people with respect and not like a number.

Installer Tech--Satisfying job, but does not pay enough for how much is expected.

Current Employee - Instalerl Technician
    Current Employee - Instalerl Technician

I have been working at Mediacom Communications full-time

Pros

I pay $70 a month for 150 Mbps internet, Tivo whole home dvr, and every channel on their lineup excluding NFL redzone and a couple others that I can't remember. It is possible as an installer to make over $1,000 a year in commissions on sales. Mediacom reimburses you for college courses you take while working for them as long as you pass and it applies to your job.

Also, I work on average 6 hrs overtime a week. This could be considered a pro or a con, and to be honest I view it both ways. It just depends on the week :)

Cons

I make $11.91 an hour as an installer. I have worked for Mediacom for a year. In northern MN where the winters are consistently 6 months long and well below zero, carrying a 28' extension ladder through waist high snow and trying to set it up on hills and snowbanks when your fingers are numb and its -40 degrees Fahrenheit plus windchills, you're expected to just as productive as you are in the fall when it is 65 degrees out and no snow.

Benefits also leave much to be desired--I pay over $250/mo for insurance for just me and my daughter, plus approx. $150/mo for my 401k. On top of that every little tool that may fall in the snow and you can't find comes out of your paycheck, and they don't supply you with cheap Walmart tools. Expect to pay $20+ for some side cutters you accidentally dropped in a 8' deep snowbank while you are 25' in the air (They would rather have you spend the next 8 hours digging in the snow to find them than to pay to replace a $20 tool themselves). I live in an area where there are many Iron Ore mines where they start you out at $20/hr or more and all insurance and retirement is included on top of your pay. That's what I expect out of a job that demands as much as Mediacom does....

I had a pretty good experience up until they seen we were making just as much as regional managers.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Albany, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Albany, GA

I worked at Mediacom Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Decent pay, Job stability

Cons

Bad customer service, no advancement.

Higher management needs to let lower management be managers and stop micromanaging.

Sad horrible

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Mediacom Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leaving was the only good thing about this place. Horrible place to work in a dying industry

Cons

Bad management who continue to live in the dark ages of the eighties. Do not work at this place if you have any respect for yourself

"Watch your back"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Mediacom Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent network, stays current with products (even in their rural territories)

Cons

"Watch your back" was a quote from a manager. Nobody understood it at the time. Now everybody does.

Insecure Management. Cap earnings. Greedy layers of middle management that will not allow employees to earn their potential.

Enable your workforce. You have some very good people, weed them out from the CYA management.

Good job to improve you're interpersonal skills

Current Employee - Field Support Representative in Blooming Grove, NY
    Current Employee - Field Support Representative in Blooming Grove, NY

I have been working at Mediacom Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is fairly simple. You get to sit at a desk all day. Not very challenging or stressful.

Cons

Very monotonous. No room for advancement. Have to do the same thing every day with minimal breaks.

Mediacom Communications Photos