Medic-1 Ambulance

Updated August 1, 2014
Updated August 1, 2014
3.3

Gordon Shipp

Professional staff, Well Run, Organized, Good People.

I have been working at Medic-1 Ambulance

Pros

Free dry cleaning, flexible schedule, nice amenities at stations, open and professional environment, management is open to suggestions.

Cons

Pay could be better. Would be nice to have a 911 contract in the future.

Work towards continuous improvement. Best ambulance company I have worked for. Proud to be a Medic-1 employee.

Minimum wage, management power trips and abuse, unstable economic future and contracts

Current Employee - Emergency Medical Technician  in  Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Medic-1 Ambulance full-time for more than a year

Pros

-The CEO, Gordon Shipp, is a phenomenal human being. One of the most likable people I've ever encountered.

-Dispatch is generally competent and fair. Generally nice to talk to and friendly.

-The current shift supervisors are awesome. Nothing but good things to say.

-Flexible scheduling. Has been changing, however, so don't expect it much longer. The current scheduling guy, as great as he is, seems to be getting a lot of pressure from Corporate to cut OT and total hours.

-Online shift bid system lets you pick up or give away shifts from the website.

Cons

-Virtually no discretion in hiring. If you apply, you're pretty much getting the job. Leads to a lot of terrible EMTs.

-Minimum wage in CA is $9/h now. Starting wage is $9/h for EMTs. Only a couple dollars more for Paramedics.

-CEO is kinda out of the loop, despite being a great guy. If he knew about half of the stuff going on, I'm sure there would be changes. Unfortunately, those working directly under him would never allow him to hear about all of their failures. A major scheduling issue was only resolved when an EMT finally met with him in person and asked for a solution.

-24 hour shifts are slowly being cut, rumored to be extinct very soon.

-Mandatory posting protocol means you'll be sitting in the rig all day with no station time.

-Increasing percentage of calls are dialysis transports.

-Getting OT is next to impossible now.

-You might get sent home early at the end of your shift so they can pinch pennies.

-Multiple instances of sexual abuse by individuals, one in particular, in management. Swept under the rug and the individual was actually given a promotion soon after.

-Losing major contracts as a result of mismanagement (coincidentally, by the same guy as listed above).

-All of our medics were fired one morning without warning. We have one left, but I can't imagine why he stays.

-I'm genuinely disappointed by the culture and ethics in the company, if not the industry. A disproportional amount of my coworkers are unprofessional and/or incompetent when it comes to performing their duties as medical providers.

-Disproportionate hiring of female EMTs; most of whom are unable to safely lift gurneys and/or patients. This puts unnecessary strain on the guys. I honestly don't understand it.

Take a serious, objective look at the way our current manager deals with his subordinates. Employee happiness is, from my perspective, almost entirely linked to the quality of his leaders and the continued employee relationship. Respect is a burden to be shared.

As if it weren't obvious already, our wages need adjustment. I understand that this is supposed to be an "entry level" position, but nothing can justify the lack of compensation provided to individuals given responsibilities of this magnitude. If a fiscal conflict keeps wages from being properly adjusted, you need to be transparent with your employees about shortfalls rather than resorting to the "well if you think about it, you're really getting paid $15/h if you consider the benefits we provide to you" (because dry cleaning costs them $60 a day per employee?). Honesty will solve this problem. I take absolutely no pride in seeing the faces of my family and friends when they find out that I make less than a McDonald's cashier.

Take steps to better regulate who you hire. The amount of people working here that don't understand county protocols is astounding. Continued retraining, competent FTOs (themselves, not necessarily knowing what they're supposed to), and a desire to improve the skill sets of Medic 1 employees are absolutely not a priority at the current time.

I understand that dialysis is necessary to maintain the bottom line, but having dialysis-only shifts like the ones we had in Sherma Oaks are damaging to EMTs. It's boring, repetitive, mind-numbing, and unfulfilling. This is a reason that quality declined in that area.

Have a conversation with your employees. Not Matthew Chelette, not Perez, not Bob...but Gordon and Virginia. One on one...groups...whatever - just have a conversation. Not a mandatory employee meeting bordering on an internal relations stunt, but a conversation. When problems are occurring, we don't want to talk to our boss - we want to talk to a peer. There is no excuse for being unaware of major issues when all it takes is a conversation.

One of the best IFT ambulance companies to work for in LA

Former Employee - Emergency Medical Technician  in  Irwindale, CA
    Former Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Irwindale, CA

I worked at Medic-1 Ambulance as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

- Very flexible scheduling; very student friendly
    - Great people
    - Fun atmosphere
    - Good interesting work with a wide-ranging patient load

Cons

- Unfair and downright sneaky benefits/pay scale (when I worked there at least... might have changed since I hear there was a law suit about the pay)
    - Shift work with long hours
    - Day/Night shifts (12 hours) get run hard
    - Not the nicest stations or bunk areas

Don't try to change benefits or pay scale for employees after making promises to do things in a certain way!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work for students

Current Employee - Emergency Medical Technician  in  Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Emergency Medical Technician in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at Medic-1 Ambulance

Pros

Flexible with schedules. Amenity-rich stations. Fair, professional management. Plenty of downtime. In-house CE. New hires going RN/PA/MD. Dry cleaning free.

Cons

Low hourly rate. Getting overtime like pulling teeth. Only two sets of uniform provided per year.

Increase the hourly rate, reduce amenities if need be. Give more overtime.

Worked for Medic-1 Ambulance? Contribute to the Community!