MedicAnimal

Updated October 18, 2014
2.4

MedicAnimal Founder & CEO Ivan Retzignac
Ivan Retzignac

Best job of my career but not for the lazy!

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unparalleled career progression opportunity, high-quality team members, real sense of doing things for more than just the money, encouraged to think and take the initiative. This is a job where if a colleague isn't pulling their weight you know they won't be there long and that makes for a great team. I started at an entry level, initially disappointed by the salary but proved myself and was quickly given more responsibility and management opportunity. This has been a career-changing job for me because as the company has grown, I've had the opportunity to grow with it, much faster than I would have at a perhaps "easier" more stable and better paying companies. I feel that this job has opened career opportunities for me that I would otherwise never have had.

Cons

Compensation is not as high as I would get elsewhere but the career progression opportunity and how much I've learned has far outweighed this. Super-fast growth and aggressive objectives has meant some periods of heavy work but when I look back on these periods I feel like it's when I've grown the most professionally and felt most fulfilled.

Be more vocal about all that our company does for charities and to improve pet welfare - not enough people on the team know about these actions. Most of all, don't listen to comments about needing to make work more "fun". Work should be an opportunity to grow and push oneself, not an amusement park.

Could do much better

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in London, England (UK)

I worked at MedicAnimal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Despite the challenging environment, high workloads and other frustrations, one thing that always stood out for me was the strong team spirit and generally everyone doing their part and working for each other as well as with each other. Unfortunately the only other pro I can think of was the free pastry every Wednesday morning.

Cons

As the title suggests, you do start out at the company with a sense of pride and direction, however you soon come to understand an endemic issue in terms of managerial short sightedness and malaise which leaves you feeling frustrated and generally unappreciated.

This is particularly evident in a common practice of only papering over the cracks of problems, issues or other difficulties that have been escalated to management due to the effects they have on your ability to perform your duties. Rather than fix the problem at its source, they apply the most simplest solution they can find, which inevitably causes the problem to reemerge later on.

Similarly, whilst generally speaking the team spirit and work ethos was good, there were some individuals who clearly had no interest in doing anything. This proved to be another example of some of the managerial impotence where people blatantly avoiding working were not punished. Again whilst this was not the norm, there is more than one example of employees not only doing the bare minimum, but also acting inappropriately toward others, not only affecting the individual on the receiving end but the rest of the team as well. Despite reporting this when it was clear that individual was not going to stop, they continue to be allowed to coast and disrupt unchallenged. Obviously when you are trying to work your hardest, seeing others do nothing without reproach is disheartening.

Whilst I understand it is important to try and get as much out of your workforce as possible to make your company productive and valuable, at MedicAnimal you are expected to do far too much as one employee on the salary given. I would suggest reviewing and analyzing workflows, work demand and staffing levels across all teams with a view to optimizing your establishment across the teams. Therefore, taking the pressure of those teams often severely overworked but also getting more out of those teams with a lower work to person ratio.

Whilst again I understand it is important to promote from within, there is a question about the standard of some of the managers. Perhaps you should think about either how managers themselves are managed or introduce a more robust promotion process.

Lastly in order to increase moral and subsequently productivity it is important to engage with the workforce, listen to the workforce and then follow up on any productive comments or criticisms. It is also important to communicate when changes happen. All of this will ensure that the workforce feels like an integral part of the company. It will also mean that the issues hindering productivity will reduce.

A change for the worse

I have been working at MedicAnimal

Pros

People are friendly and trying to pull in the same direction.

Cons

Double standards some jobs are advertised internally while some will be given based upon whos friendly with who.If your a girl you'll be alright as you'll get a nice sit down job early.
    Company felt more unified in the beginning and as its grown its personal touches towards employees (day trips,supply of cakes) has largely been ignored or forgotten in the head long pursuit of turning the company into profit.
    Workers are constantly told they can be sacked at any given time and are replaceable.Whilst being true in any business it leaves employees feeling undervalued and less likely to value their importance towards a company.

Questioning where people would like to go in the company.
    Bringing a sense of fun back into a working environment so it doesn't just become a paycheck at the end of the month for people.
    Creating something other than a six month bonus scheme as people take this for granted after a while.Perhaps an extra in each following months pay for top workers as it would be on peoples mind more or greater pay difference between the bonus grades.

Fast-paced, great opportunities if you look for them

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

When I accepted the position at MedicAnimal, I was excited by the long-term growth prospects and the opportunity to be a part of that success. I’m so pleased I made the decision to join the company. It has been quite an adventure so far - as with any growing company, there have been a lot of opportunities to seek process improvements & business opportunities, and it’s the kind of environment where new ideas are taken seriously and initiatives can be implemented with minimal bureaucracy and political frustrations. There are a lot of great, and very bright, people to learn from here too.

Cons

As the company has reached the 250+ employees mark there does seem to have been a change in atmosphere and culture, and some of the ‘veterans’ have found it difficult to adjust. There is also a strong performance culture, which, while allowing employees the experience of working alongside some really inspiring people, can mean that those individuals who aren’t performing can feel bitter and frustrated, and they perpetuate quite a negative atmosphere in some areas. It’s a meritocratic environment, so if you aren’t prepared to work hard, I wouldn’t recommend it!

It’s time to take a more hands-off approach if you want your talented people to shine – let go a bit and let your teams do their job. Remain visible to all staff, not just the top, and try to keep the company cohesive as it grows – ensure we all have a collective vision. And be careful not to let certain individuals run their own agenda and bring politics and negativity to the business.

Great people, challenging manager

Former Employee - E-commerce in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - E-commerce in London, England (UK)

I worked at MedicAnimal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Growing company
    - lots of responsabilities
    - nice people

Cons

- Investment board sticks to its revenue objectives and sometimes misses business opportunity

Soulless place to work

I have been working at MedicAnimal (more than an year)

Pros

The foot soldiers (non managers) are some of the most excellent and hard working people I have ever met.

Cons

Management incompetence. No empathy. Over the top politics that arises from lack of management skills. You have to make the managers 'like' you to survive. The managers lack social skills and some expect their staff to make them feel good about themselves.
    Even same department performing employees feel isolated, uncared and expendable. Only join this company if you have no other choice. The management has a ego shield rooted in incompetence that makes them oblivious to the problems, so they can focus on growth with no foundations.

Please quit to make place for someone else. It would improve the lives of a lot of your employees.

Challenging ... but unstructured .

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Type of business
    Great place to gain experience on e-commerce.
    Challenging

Cons

Lack of discipline among the management reflected on lower levels of productivity among packing and scanning deparments.

Employees performance poorly monitored.

Some managers in the warehouse have no communication skills, poor spoken and written English which creates a communication barrier between them and the teams they should lead.

Packing and Scanning are the core departments of the business. Supporting them is fundamental . Happiness is directly related with productivity.

Feels disjointed and segregated at times, but has tonnes of potential. Will get better.

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time

Pros

The company is growing so quickly, it does feel good being part of such a up-and-coming business.
    Bonuses are given every 6 months (probably won't happen this time around though).
    Good colleagues.
    Offices are very modern.

Cons

Salaries aren't exactly fantastic for the amount of work put in.
    Working 9-6 isn't the most ideal times to work for such a busy company. Always feel exhausted.
    Situated in middle of nowhere.

Make the company feel more complete. Departments feel segregated and it's causing a lot of problems.

MedicAnimal - challenging but equally rewarding and exciting.

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MedicAnimal is one of the fastest growing Ecommerce sites in Europe meaning there is constantly opportunities for progression and career development. The speed of the growth and the ambition of the company means it is not always easy and there is an expectancy that everyone works to performance levels higher than expected in most businesses. It is a demanding environment which not everyone is capable of achieving, but for those who thrive on ambition and a challenge laid before you - this is definitely the place for you! There is very much a "more you put in, more you get out" culture and those who commit to the company, contribute positively and become passionate about the company will be rewarded with opportunity and progression.

Underlining this ambition, there is a strong ethic behind what the founders wanted to achieve : improve the lives and welfare of animals across Europe by leading an evolution of the veterinary industry. The presence of such an ethic means there is a genuine sense that you are working towards a "greater good" rather than just waiting for the pay cheque and this makes the challenge worth it at the end of each day.

The company encourages involvement and invites feedback and suggestions. As it's still a growing company, there is an acute awareness that not everything is perfect and suggestions are most welcomed. People have a distinct opportunity to make a positive contribution and the message from the CEO is "how can I make my role better for those around me" where any suggestions are taken into account and more often or not acted on to make continuous improvements.

In terms of additional benefits, there is an Employee pension plan where the company generously matches monthly contributions by staff in addition to a corporate gym membership, weekly football games, and regular team building activities to really bring the staff from all departments closer together and create friendships within the team. There is a firm belief that friends work better together than merely colleagues and the company tries actively to forge this.

In addition to this, there is a twice yearly bonus scheme in place where employees have an opportunity to earn an additional 10% of their annual salary. Those who deserve it - earn it without fail every period.

Finally, despite not being in the best part of the capital, the office space is very comfortable and modern with picturesque courtyard shared with other young businesses. It is a relatively aesthetic location to spend your daily life and the surrounding area has a lot of amenities despite it not being the trendiest part of London.

Cons

Salaries could be higher, but what is gained through experience and career development far exceeds the financial difference of working in higher paid role in a slower paced environment.

That aside:

The nature of the growth does mean the company demands a lot and this can mean working late and putting more than your contracted hours.

The growth and ambition of the company often exceeds it's current capabilities and this leads to sincere operational challenges for the logistics and dispatch departments which take time to overcome. The operational teams can be somewhat left stranded to deal with these as the

Given the demanding environment, objectives can change frequently and company strategy can shift dramatically very quickly meaning everyone needs to adjust objectives and targets at a moments notice which can lead to confusion amongst the team.

Improve downward communication. Not everyone is aware of the benefits available to them.

Learn the day-to-day ins and outs of the teams on the ground so you understand the implications of your decisions on their working lives.

A Pool of Opportunity!

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The speed of growth and rapid success of MedicAnimal has opened the door of opportunity to all of its employees. Progression paths upwards are clear, but most exciting for the staff here are the opportunities and chances that arise in other or new departments. With the growth of current departments or the introduction of new ones, staff are offered chances to enter into a field that they may have little experience in. The experts already present then offer the training, guidance and development plans. This sort of culture is not present in companies of this size in already long established business’. People have made jumps from the warehouse into customer care and from customer care into marketing/finance/IT. In addition to this, new roles have repeatedly been noted as needed and therefore created from within. All positions are advertised internally allowing all a chance to apply.

Stemming from an idea to provide affordable healthcare to pets, the core values of the people in higher management are sound. This inevitably filters down and the employees at all levels throughout the company are a great bunch of people. The company is young and the attitudes of even long standing employees are fresh and energised. The workforce I would say averages in its early 30s and is friendly, outgoing and diverse. The company is not afraid to fund social outings and although these are mostly at trendy drinking spots nearby, there have also been paintballing events and an effort is made to ensure the Christmas parties are at a good standard of venue.

The physical working environment is new and well maintained.

Staff benefits include a pension scheme which the company pays in to with you, a discounted gym membership, share options and childcare vouchers.

Huge effort and funding has gone into upgrading various systems throughout the company in the last year. These are providing numerous benefits to employees who in the past may have been limited or restricted by the tools available and also allow the company itself to run in more smooth fashion.

There are various platforms for staff at all levers to offer suggestions or ask questions to senior management (including CEO directly) anonymously, which are then regularly responded to in ‘All Hand’ meetings. Management are honest and approachable.

The company offers structured objectives to all staff, which offer 2 chances a year to claim a bonus payout. This is the first time I have encountered this kind of scheme, as in previous employment I have only ever had the chance of 1 (if any) set amount payout. The MedicAnimal bonuses can increase in size depending on performance against objectives.

Overall, I find this company a joy to work for. My working day is varied, there are numerous opportunities, the staff are friendly and despite the less than interesting area the offices are located – there are is in fact suitable presence in terms of places to get food etc. There are also so pretty good places to head out after work 10 minutes away by bus. Connections into central London are also very good.

Cons

Wages are slightly lower than average, but this can be compensated by the 2 bonus payouts a year and again, the opportunities made readily available for progression and development. The ongoing and future success of the company in itself is something to enjoy being a part of.

More contact needed with the owners, who both have a lot of passion to share with employees.

The owners and senior management need to remain in direct contact with the lower levels of staff across all departments.

Remember everyone has different personal priorities and motivations. It will never be easy to offer a bonus/reward scheme everyone will be happy with. Structured training, reward and recognition is always received greatly.

MedicAnimal Photos