MedicAnimal Reviews

MedicAnimal Founder & CEO Ivan Retzignac
Ivan Retzignac

not good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great people

amazing potential

really good concept

Cons

no possibilities to develop unless you are a manager

some managers are too young with really little experience

no benefit

salaries really low for what the Company asks

no communication between departments

no organisation at all

Advice to Management

support and listen to your teams rather than "attach them" when you don't have the results you want

Long hours , work overload and little pay

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at MedicAnimal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for junior positions where you get to learn a lot and progress you skills very quickly.
    If you work hard and deliver you can get promoted to higher position.

Cons

Don't expect a slow day. The amount of work overload is massive and you will spend some hours overtime couple of times per week to catch up.
    The investors and company are very focused in hitting the short term targets which harms the long term strategy.
    The company grew massive the last 5 years which may have an impact on the efficiency today. Fulfillment problems, logistics problems and not to mention all the 1000 of IT support tickets on back log.
    A lot of pressure on already stressed out staff to hit the targets.
    High turnover and many good employees get burned out and leave. Expect leaving drinks a couple of times per month.

Advice to Management

Stop being so focused on short term targets. Focus more on developing a more stream lined business. Managers need to support their staff more and stop having their own agenda instead of pulling in the same direction.

3. A dynamic and diverse place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We are providing a great service to pets and pet owners.
    The staff are mostly all very enthusiastic and passionate about doing the best we can for our customers.
    We get croissants every Wednesday, and there are some other great perks like onsite massages and social events

Cons

It is still a growing company with teething problems and so the IT side of things has been a bit painful.

Advice to Management

Hang in there

5. Not very structured, but getting there - and great people

I worked at MedicAnimal

Pros

The best thing was the culture and the people - I had exactly the same mindset as most of my colleagues.
    Good work-life balance
    Lots of projects going on and flexibility to get involved with what you want - lots to do

Cons

Lack of structure (but this was improving when I left)
    Lack of visibility on the whole business when you are not in a managerial position
    Lack of processes which means that you often repeat the work you've already done - big waste of time

Advice to Management

More "whole company meetings" (every month for instance) so that everyone is up-to-date

6. could be more professional

Current Employee - Customer Service in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MedicAnimal

Pros

people with all kind of backgrounds

Cons

there is no team feeling
    managers team-leaders are not helpful there is a huge distance between employee and manager or team-leader
    I have the feeling manager and team-leaders are trying to show power instead of being helpful?

you have to do so much , you do not have time to talk to your colleagues or relax a bit
    they payment they give does not reflex the work

the chairs and tables old not good anymore, where is the money going ?

Advice to Management

see cons
    try to measure of manager and team-leaders as some of them do not benefit in any way
    change the system orders are delivered late , lots of them lost,
    please show yourself , I have never seen anyone of management in my life who is the management?

7. Could do much better

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in London, England (UK)

I worked at MedicAnimal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Despite the challenging environment, high workloads and other frustrations, one thing that always stood out for me was the strong team spirit and generally everyone doing their part and working for each other as well as with each other. Unfortunately the only other pro I can think of was the free pastry every Wednesday morning.

Cons

As the title suggests, you do start out at the company with a sense of pride and direction, however you soon come to understand an endemic issue in terms of managerial short sightedness and malaise which leaves you feeling frustrated and generally unappreciated.

This is particularly evident in a common practice of only papering over the cracks of problems, issues or other difficulties that have been escalated to management due to the effects they have on your ability to perform your duties. Rather than fix the problem at its source, they apply the most simplest solution they can find, which inevitably causes the problem to reemerge later on.

Similarly, whilst generally speaking the team spirit and work ethos was good, there were some individuals who clearly had no interest in doing anything. This proved to be another example of some of the managerial impotence where people blatantly avoiding working were not punished. Again whilst this was not the norm, there is more than one example of employees not only doing the bare minimum, but also acting inappropriately toward others, not only affecting the individual on the receiving end but the rest of the team as well. Despite reporting this when it was clear that individual was not going to stop, they continue to be allowed to coast and disrupt unchallenged. Obviously when you are trying to work your hardest, seeing others do nothing without reproach is disheartening.

Advice to Management

Whilst I understand it is important to try and get as much out of your workforce as possible to make your company productive and valuable, at MedicAnimal you are expected to do far too much as one employee on the salary given. I would suggest reviewing and analyzing workflows, work demand and staffing levels across all teams with a view to optimizing your establishment across the teams. Therefore, taking the pressure of those teams often severely overworked but also getting more out of those teams with a lower work to person ratio.

Whilst again I understand it is important to promote from within, there is a question about the standard of some of the managers. Perhaps you should think about either how managers themselves are managed or introduce a more robust promotion process.

Lastly in order to increase moral and subsequently productivity it is important to engage with the workforce, listen to the workforce and then follow up on any productive comments or criticisms. It is also important to communicate when changes happen. All of this will ensure that the workforce feels like an integral part of the company. It will also mean that the issues hindering productivity will reduce.

Best job of my career but not for the lazy!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Unparalleled career progression opportunity, high-quality team members, real sense of doing things for more than just the money, encouraged to think and take the initiative. This is a job where if a colleague isn't pulling their weight you know they won't be there long and that makes for a great team. I started at an entry level, initially disappointed by the salary but proved myself and was quickly given more responsibility and management opportunity. This has been a career-changing job for me because as the company has grown, I've had the opportunity to grow with it, much faster than I would have at a perhaps "easier" more stable and better paying companies. I feel that this job has opened career opportunities for me that I would otherwise never have had.

Cons

Compensation is not as high as I would get elsewhere but the career progression opportunity and how much I've learned has far outweighed this. Super-fast growth and aggressive objectives has meant some periods of heavy work but when I look back on these periods I feel like it's when I've grown the most professionally and felt most fulfilled.

Advice to Management

Be more vocal about all that our company does for charities and to improve pet welfare - not enough people on the team know about these actions. Most of all, don't listen to comments about needing to make work more "fun". Work should be an opportunity to grow and push oneself, not an amusement park.

9. A change for the worse

I have been working at MedicAnimal

Pros

People are friendly and trying to pull in the same direction.

Cons

Double standards some jobs are advertised internally while some will be given based upon whos friendly with who.If your a girl you'll be alright as you'll get a nice sit down job early.
    Company felt more unified in the beginning and as its grown its personal touches towards employees (day trips,supply of cakes) has largely been ignored or forgotten in the head long pursuit of turning the company into profit.
    Workers are constantly told they can be sacked at any given time and are replaceable.Whilst being true in any business it leaves employees feeling undervalued and less likely to value their importance towards a company.

Advice to Management

Questioning where people would like to go in the company.
    Bringing a sense of fun back into a working environment so it doesn't just become a paycheck at the end of the month for people.
    Creating something other than a six month bonus scheme as people take this for granted after a while.Perhaps an extra in each following months pay for top workers as it would be on peoples mind more or greater pay difference between the bonus grades.

10. Fast-paced, great opportunities if you look for them

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

When I accepted the position at MedicAnimal, I was excited by the long-term growth prospects and the opportunity to be a part of that success. I’m so pleased I made the decision to join the company. It has been quite an adventure so far - as with any growing company, there have been a lot of opportunities to seek process improvements & business opportunities, and it’s the kind of environment where new ideas are taken seriously and initiatives can be implemented with minimal bureaucracy and political frustrations. There are a lot of great, and very bright, people to learn from here too.

Cons

As the company has reached the 250+ employees mark there does seem to have been a change in atmosphere and culture, and some of the ‘veterans’ have found it difficult to adjust. There is also a strong performance culture, which, while allowing employees the experience of working alongside some really inspiring people, can mean that those individuals who aren’t performing can feel bitter and frustrated, and they perpetuate quite a negative atmosphere in some areas. It’s a meritocratic environment, so if you aren’t prepared to work hard, I wouldn’t recommend it!

Advice to Management

It’s time to take a more hands-off approach if you want your talented people to shine – let go a bit and let your teams do their job. Remain visible to all staff, not just the top, and try to keep the company cohesive as it grows – ensure we all have a collective vision. And be careful not to let certain individuals run their own agenda and bring politics and negativity to the business.

11. Challenging ... but unstructured .

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MedicAnimal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Type of business
    Great place to gain experience on e-commerce.
    Challenging

Cons

Lack of discipline among the management reflected on lower levels of productivity among packing and scanning deparments.

Employees performance poorly monitored.

Some managers in the warehouse have no communication skills, poor spoken and written English which creates a communication barrier between them and the teams they should lead.

Advice to Management

Packing and Scanning are the core departments of the business. Supporting them is fundamental . Happiness is directly related with productivity.

MedicAnimal Photos