www.mcw.edu

Updated October 14, 2014
3.6

Medical College of Wisconsin President & CEO John R. Raymond
John R. Raymond

Pros
  • Flexibility (some), good benefits, I honestly have been very disapointed since I started here (in 9 reviews)

• Great Benefits and Training,very nice people, great website (internal) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A significant portion of many scientists' time is spent securing and maintaining NIH funding (in 3 reviews)

• Compensation is below average with no room to negotiate, necessary job training is minimal (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

The Medical College of Wisconsin has fostered my career development

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate directors, management and colleagues who foster professional growth,
    Ability to take on new tasks to broaden exposure,
    Excellent benefits package (PTO, retirement & insurance),
    Academic/research environment is empowering

Cons

Bureaucratic structure can sometimes inhibit processes from moving as smoothly as they could,
    Compensation is lower than local competition,
    Some technologies used are outdated

I suggest the implementation of new systems in order to allow processes to flow more freely and as direclty as possible, minimizing the number of individuals that are required to participate. Continue to empower these individuals to have task ownership and allow them to help develop new methods to continuously improve operations.

Wonderful research and clinical experts, but lacking resources

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Faculty have diverse areas of expertise and are open to collaboration across disciplines; wonderful access to medical care through MCW-affiliated providers; organization is always growing and improving

Cons

Some research resources are lacking (journal article access, etc) compared with larger research institutions; not all research centers valued equally by the administration; health insurance coverage for non-MCW providers is insufficient

Great health benefits

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great healthcare benefits,Great 401K options

Cons

Low Salary, no raises given only cost of living increase at most. Work-Life Balance was poor. The better you were at your job, the more you were expected to do without any compensation.

Promote those who are excellent workers. Pay people what they are worth. Get rid of the "rotten apples" who bring down the whole team. Promote a "team environment" and make the workplace more fun.

It's great place for postdoc training, especially if you want to go for industry next

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

There are well organized postdoc educational opportunities, and as a postdoc you get 15 vacation days and 9 sick days.

Cons

there is no 401k matching for postdoctoral fellows, and depending on the lab you are in, you may not get the pay increase that is recommended by NIH.

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A Medical School that continues to emerge as a premier school. Excellent benefit package.

Cons

Toxic and unfriendly work environment and culture on campus. Internal politics among the worst I have experienced in my career.

Less than impressed

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Flexibility (some), good benefits, I honestly have been very disapointed since I started here.

Cons

Depending on the department you work in, you could have entirely different experiences. Every department is it's own silo with its own managment. My department in particular is extremely dysfunctional and HR refuses to step in and fix anything unless it is a legal issue. Turnover doesn't seem to bother anyone. Basic HR policies aren't followed yet when I brought this up with HR they didn't care. There is no leadership in my department and employees seem to do whatever they want with no repercussions. Very difficult to move up the career laddar or into another department. Will be looking to move on ASAP.

Hold management accountable. Take the staff survey seriously when there are complaints. If a department isn't functioning as it should, MCW should take action. When an employee voices major concerns, listen. Unless you are a part of management, there is no staff voice. Stop hiring high level positions without performing thorough evaluations/interviews. The department I work in has zero management which should be evaluated. Many wasted resources that should be questioned/evaluated.

My experience at the Medical College of Wisconsin has been mostly positive.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Some good reasons to work here compared to a traditional university are free parking, good insurance, and an in house cafeteria.

Cons

Conducting research at the Medical college can be extra difficult because of the lack of hard money.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Research Technologist I in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Research Technologist I in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Organizational values are superb. This is a tremendous place to work. Very high level of professionalism.

Cons

In all honesty I am not able to think of one down side to this particular employer. Supervisors are top shelf and very helpful. I look forward to work every day.

Overall good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff and other employees that I worked with were great, the surroundings and facilities are magnificent, there was also a good balance of independence and supervision

Cons

Some of these were probably because the position I was working was a summer college job. The parking for non-senior employees was very far away from the buildings that I worked in, and the pay wasn't spectacular (but it was just a summer job). Those were the only two things that bugged me though.

Worst place ever to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can't think of any good reasons

Cons

An do as I say not as I do attitude

Where to start, if management dose not like you they make it known, and make your life a living hell. If you try to talk to them they don't care about anything, just shut and do your job, which there isn't really training...I knew more than my supervisor within a month of being there and my supervisor was there a few years Don't go to HR because all they say is that is the way the dept does things, right or wrong. My supervisor would point out mistakes, but you can't tell them about all their mistakes.

Medical College of Wisconsin Photos