www.mcw.edu

Updated October 28, 2014
3.6

Medical College of Wisconsin President & CEO John R. Raymond
John R. Raymond

Pros
  • Flexibility (some), good benefits, I honestly have been very disapointed since I started here (in 9 reviews)

• Great Benefits and Training,very nice people, great website (internal) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A significant portion of many scientists' time is spent securing and maintaining NIH funding (in 3 reviews)

• Compensation is below average with no room to negotiate, necessary job training is minimal (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

great place to work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really like my coworkers.

Cons

there major long term construction

none

The Medical College of Wisconsin has fostered my career development

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate directors, management and colleagues who foster professional growth,
    Ability to take on new tasks to broaden exposure,
    Excellent benefits package (PTO, retirement & insurance),
    Academic/research environment is empowering

Cons

Bureaucratic structure can sometimes inhibit processes from moving as smoothly as they could,
    Compensation is lower than local competition,
    Some technologies used are outdated

I suggest the implementation of new systems in order to allow processes to flow more freely and as direclty as possible, minimizing the number of individuals that are required to participate. Continue to empower these individuals to have task ownership and allow them to help develop new methods to continuously improve operations.

Trapped in entry-level opportunity with nothing to show for it.

Pros

401k matching decent
    Depending on department, MCW has a very laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Zero mobility. Work the job you are hired for.
    No professional development.
    No skill training or certifications for staff.

Wonderful research and clinical experts, but lacking resources

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Faculty have diverse areas of expertise and are open to collaboration across disciplines; wonderful access to medical care through MCW-affiliated providers; organization is always growing and improving

Cons

Some research resources are lacking (journal article access, etc) compared with larger research institutions; not all research centers valued equally by the administration; health insurance coverage for non-MCW providers is insufficient

Great health benefits

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great healthcare benefits,Great 401K options

Cons

Low Salary, no raises given only cost of living increase at most. Work-Life Balance was poor. The better you were at your job, the more you were expected to do without any compensation.

Promote those who are excellent workers. Pay people what they are worth. Get rid of the "rotten apples" who bring down the whole team. Promote a "team environment" and make the workplace more fun.

Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A Medical School that continues to emerge as a premier school. Excellent benefit package.

Cons

Toxic and unfriendly work environment and culture on campus. Internal politics among the worst I have experienced in my career.

It's great place for postdoc training, especially if you want to go for industry next

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

There are well organized postdoc educational opportunities, and as a postdoc you get 15 vacation days and 9 sick days.

Cons

there is no 401k matching for postdoctoral fellows, and depending on the lab you are in, you may not get the pay increase that is recommended by NIH.

My experience at the Medical College of Wisconsin has been mostly positive.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Some good reasons to work here compared to a traditional university are free parking, good insurance, and an in house cafeteria.

Cons

Conducting research at the Medical college can be extra difficult because of the lack of hard money.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Research Technologist I in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Research Technologist I in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Organizational values are superb. This is a tremendous place to work. Very high level of professionalism.

Cons

In all honesty I am not able to think of one down side to this particular employer. Supervisors are top shelf and very helpful. I look forward to work every day.

Overall good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff and other employees that I worked with were great, the surroundings and facilities are magnificent, there was also a good balance of independence and supervision

Cons

Some of these were probably because the position I was working was a summer college job. The parking for non-senior employees was very far away from the buildings that I worked in, and the pay wasn't spectacular (but it was just a summer job). Those were the only two things that bugged me though.

Medical College of Wisconsin Photos