Medical College of Wisconsin

Updated August 25, 2014
3.6

Medical College of Wisconsin President & CEO John R. Raymond
John R. Raymond

Pros
  • Good benefits, good people in most areas of the org, good leaders and good technology (in 8 reviews)

• Great Benefits and Training,very nice people, great website (internal) (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A significant portion of many scientists' time is spent securing and maintaining NIH funding (in 3 reviews)

• no room for further development (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

52 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It's great place for postdoc training, especially if you want to go for industry next

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are well organized postdoc educational opportunities, and as a postdoc you get 15 vacation days and 9 sick days.

Cons

there is no 401k matching for postdoctoral fellows, and depending on the lab you are in, you may not get the pay increase that is recommended by NIH.

My experience at the Medical College of Wisconsin has been mostly positive.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Some good reasons to work here compared to a traditional university are free parking, good insurance, and an in house cafeteria.

Cons

Conducting research at the Medical college can be extra difficult because of the lack of hard money.

Less than impressed

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility (some), good benefits, I honestly have been very disapointed since I started here.

Cons

Depending on the department you work in, you could have entirely different experiences. Every department is it's own silo with its own managment. My department in particular is extremely dysfunctional and HR refuses to step in and fix anything unless it is a legal issue. Turnover doesn't seem to bother anyone. Basic HR policies aren't followed yet when I brought this up with HR they didn't care. There is no leadership in my department and employees seem to do whatever they want with no repercussions. Very difficult to move up the career laddar or into another department. Will be looking to move on ASAP.

Hold management accountable. Take the staff survey seriously when there are complaints. If a department isn't functioning as it should, MCW should take action. When an employee voices major concerns, listen. Unless you are a part of management, there is no staff voice. Stop hiring high level positions without performing thorough evaluations/interviews. The department I work in has zero management which should be evaluated. Many wasted resources that should be questioned/evaluated.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Research Technologist I  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Research Technologist I in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Organizational values are superb. This is a tremendous place to work. Very high level of professionalism.

Cons

In all honesty I am not able to think of one down side to this particular employer. Supervisors are top shelf and very helpful. I look forward to work every day.

Overall good place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time for less than a year

Pros

The staff and other employees that I worked with were great, the surroundings and facilities are magnificent, there was also a good balance of independence and supervision

Cons

Some of these were probably because the position I was working was a summer college job. The parking for non-senior employees was very far away from the buildings that I worked in, and the pay wasn't spectacular (but it was just a summer job). Those were the only two things that bugged me though.

Worst place ever to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't think of any good reasons

Cons

An do as I say not as I do attitude

Where to start, if management dose not like you they make it known, and make your life a living hell. If you try to talk to them they don't care about anything, just shut and do your job, which there isn't really training...I knew more than my supervisor within a month of being there and my supervisor was there a few years Don't go to HR because all they say is that is the way the dept does things, right or wrong. My supervisor would point out mistakes, but you can't tell them about all their mistakes.

great place to work

Current Employee - Commercial Reimbursement Acct Representative II  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Commercial Reimbursement Acct Representative II in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

has a great work life balance!

Cons

wish the benefits could be better

none

Great company

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst II  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst II in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, good benefits

Cons

Slightly lower salary due to lower cost of living here.

CRC

Current Employee - CRC  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - CRC in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time for less than a year

Pros

Growing Institution in Southeastern Wisconsin

Cons

Faculty-centric in regards to compensation and advancement

Overall, I would say that this job is a great resume builder, it is not a something I would like to turn into a career.

Current Employee - Research Technician I  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Research Technician I in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Medical College of Wisconsin full-time

Pros

The benefits are great and my colleagues are awesome!!

Cons

The pay needs to be more competitive. The research is slow moving and at times it is hard to get motivated.

Management does a great job bring the department together with various events.

Worked for Medical College of Wisconsin? Contribute to the Community!