Medical Consultants Network

Updated July 9, 2014
Updated July 9, 2014
3.4

Brian L. Grant

Great place to learn & advance your career

Former Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Operations in Seattle, WA

I worked at Medical Consultants Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-very nice downtown office location in the Rainier Tower & various other offices around the country
    -energetic & young workforce makes for a fun environment
    -ownership is very passionate about medical roots of company
    -you can learn a lot on the job about insurance and healthcare
    -entrepreneurial feel where you can really make a difference for the firm and the clients
    -generally promotes from within so you can move into management fairly quickly with hard work
    -standard benefits and steady place to work (company has been around for 30 years under I believe the same ownership)
    -lots of client interaction and one day is never the same as the next as there is interesting work in the medical evaluation field
    -IT department is stellar and systems are easy to work with (as well as a top-notch IS manager)

Cons

-for a time in 2013 there were lots of changes in management and the new CRM was maybe deployed prematurely but as of late I've heard things are much steadier and smoother from former colleagues
    -training is a bit lax so you really have to take control of your own learning & ask a lot of questions, although this might depend on which manager you have

-keep up the good work for clients and the culture and environment will continue to improve.
    -define exactly the metrics and financial goals for the firm so people know where they stand and what they are aiming to achieve
    -change is tough for people to go through so maybe try to add a couple experienced executives from the outside but keep the core management intact and worry only about the customer experience
    -double down on sales efforts and sales hiring if the strategy is to grow and perhaps move some very competent employees who know the clients, doctors, and business well from operations to sales as customers have little patience for salespeople who aren't also doers that can help them with their claims on the spot

The Perfect Place for Fresh & Eager Minds

I have been working at Medical Consultants Network full-time

Pros

I have not been employed at MCN for an extensive amount of time however, the time I have been employed has been nothing short of gratifying. The management team is a group of individuals who ensure a cohesive work environment in which employees are rewarded for individual success, but also strives for teamwork. Personally, I have found Dr. Grant, the owner, to be extremely passionate about his company and employees. At times he may seem a little overly passionate, but you will find that most great leaders often times are just that.

When starting in a new, unfamiliar position, one is basically left to either sink or swim. MCN however, guides you along and allows you to do the motions while they help you maneuver through, teaching you all the tips and tricks that you need to know in order to become the next Olympian… Or at least good enough not to sink. The management and team leads are nothing short of patient and are more than willing to guide you through every step and process you need to know in order to be on top of your game when it comes to jumping in (to your new role).

Setting foot on the fresh soil of the professional world, right out of college can be a bit overwhelming. At MCN, I have found it to be anything but. Not only is MCN a hospitable place for one to call their ‘home away from home’ (quite literally), but it also allows for one to grow in countless ways that might not have been formerly evident to them. This company offers the perfect balance of work and play, which is a rarity in the workplace.

I think Confucius had the right idea when he said; “If you choose a job you love, you will never have to work a day in your life.”

Cons

The biggest drawback of this company lies within the separation between the offices. There are a variety of different offices placed all over the nation which sometimes makes it difficult to communicate to specific co-workers what exactly one is referring to or how to do a specific task that other offices might do differently, etc. In this line of work it is vital that each job is done in a timely and exceptional manner. So when other offices aren’t in cahoots with how your office might run things, complications arise and direction is needed. Granted, with any sizable company that has grown in such vastness, this is sure to be a complication.

There are certain departments within the company that always seem to need employees. A valid suggestion might be to ensure that specific departments like Client Services and Sales are properly staffed with employees who are intrigued by the position and are eager to learn more and grow within it and the company.

Jun 15, 2014President

Thank you for your kind and insightful comments. We totally agree that creating an environment where staff can grow is important. This starts with trying to hire right (which is one reason that ... More

Great industry growth potential

Current Employee - General Management
    Current Employee - General Management

I have been working at Medical Consultants Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Lots of growth potential for company as industry is highly fragmented and MCN is number 2 in the space. Competition is beatable.
    -Lots of room to grow for individuals across disciplines & be promoted from within
    -Founder cares deeply about company's medical roots and integrity of services, which is rare in this industry
    -Management believes in promoting from within and growing people, they reward those who perform and don't for those who don't deliver
    -Management makes sound business decisions which is why the company has been profitable every year of its 30 year history under steady ownership and is able to invest back into the business in both systems and people. Recently flat growth of revenue but soaring profits. Zero debt and sound financials make it a stable place to work.

Cons

-Lots of turnover in 2013 amidst changes in management but the dust has now settled
    -CRM switching over after 15 years from legacy system could have gone smoother and caused a handful of clients to leave, the industry has a short memory and high turnover at clients so those clients can be won back

-Double the size of recruiting department to increase the scope, breadth, and depth of the physician network. Build it and they (clients) will come.
    -Double the size of the sales department to have local account management in regions where MCN has no local presence, which is important to many clients.
    -Bring in a couple seasoned executives to help grow the business and expand national relationships with clients and add to the already strong team.

A good place to work with friendly co-workers and youthful energy

Current Employee - Communications in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Communications in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Medical Consultants Network as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The workforce is young and brings a lot of new energy to an industry that has historically been quite conservative.

The company willing to hire younger employees and give them a chance to learn leadership skills and thrive. If they can demonstrate they have initiative, it doesn't take very long for them to rise through the ranks and assume respected management positions. Some of the employees who started out at entry-level positions only a few years ago have done this. By no means is it easy but it's very possible.

Since most of the people in the office are easy to get along with, it makes for a relaxing and comfortable environment.

Cons

I would like to briefly speak to one review that mentions family members of management quitting. Speaking as one such family member, I found another job but still work for MCN as a contractor and I do work remotely.

I'm not a big fan of anonymous comments. If someone has something to say of value, they should attribute their name to it. I won't for the sake of keeping reviews consistent. And it's a shame when someone who speaks so poorly of an employer still works for them. If MCN isn't a good fit, they should probably be looking for work elsewhere.

There could be more consistent training throughout the entire company. However, the training varies widely from department to department with each department manager training their team how they see fit. If MCN had a more comprehensive training program targeted toward all employees followed by department-specific training protocols, that would be perfect.

Over-Worked and Under-Paid

Former Employee - Medical Scheduler
    Former Employee - Medical Scheduler

I worked at Medical Consultants Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Entry-level job right out of college - not a difficult job

Cons

All offices other than their headquarters in Seattle are remote. This means that there is a huge disconnect between offices and the communication is terrible. Low salary - no chance for commission or bonuses. Everyone ends up working more than 40 hours because there is a lot of work but few employees. Terrible management from the top down. I wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. Horrible business, horrible owner, horrible management.

Change everything that you do and the way that you do it. Pay your employees more and treat them with respect.

Jun 26, 2014President

Thank you for your comments. We wish to clarify our office configurations. No office is remote. We are a distributed company across the US and all employees are valued and enjoy the capacity to ... More

Poor leadership creates somber culture

Pros

-Friendly co-workers
    -Interesting industry
    -Lots of freedom to work how you want

Cons

-Very high turnover including salespeople all over the country, seasoned executives a couple were more qualified and inspiring than the leader who remains
    -Clients lost and no ongoing sales efforts to replace them or win them back
    -Disconnnected offices that aren't part of a team
    -ownership that is disrespectful to employees
    -Ownership that is not trusted
    -Nobody knows what we are trying to accomplish

-Ownership does not imply good leadership. Stop sending e-mails that make it seem like you don't think you are ever wrong about anything.
    -Treat people with respect
    -Hire new leadership replacing current top management to give hope for a positive future

Jun 20, 2014President

Thank you for your posting. It is difficult to understand this level of negativity towards the company and the energetic and engaged leadership team by an anonymous poster who claims to presently be ... More

A good company to grow in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people that MCN hires are their best asset. Almost everyone is very friendly, personable, and the type of people you want to grab a drink with after work. I have made a lot of friends working at MCN that I will carry with me in the future.

Many of the current management team started in entry-level roles at MCN. They do their best to promote from within and offer experience that can be beneficial to employees if and when they choose to move on to another company.

The environment, at least in the Corporate office, is very casual and not stuffy. That makes it easy to come to work.

The owner of the company truly cares about his company and its employees. He is open to having any employee, even if they started yesterday, approach him with questions or ideas.

Cons

There have been a lot of management changes within the company in the past year, and that can make employees feel uneasy.

For a time, there was a lot of negativity floating around, including gossip among employees and managers. There seems to be a renewed focus on the positive and hopefully these issues will be eliminated.

The benefits are average, but you could also do a lot worse with other companies. That being said, the company is flexible with allowing people to have unpaid time off when needed and for unique experiences such as travel.

Realize that many employees will be with the company for a short amount of time. Many have other aspirations beyond the work they do here. Employees will stay longer if the environment is more positive, they can trust their management team, and the pay is fair. Many employees have left because of being overworked or finding another position with a better environment.

Awful culture with unhappy and terrible leadership

I have been working at Medical Consultants Network full-time

Pros

The view from the office. The downtown location is good.

Cons

Senior management erupts like a volcano out of the blue throwing tirades about a scratch on the wall or that every employee is complacent especially the Salespeople. Us complacent employees are overworked and underpaid. After being hired for a position by one manager some employees are told by senior management their role does not add value. Almost every executive has quit and there has been no effort to find capable replacements instead of inserting unqualified current employees who are in over their heads. We lost count of how many salespeople were fired in 2013. Most people think someone is trying to sell the company. Clients are leaving us as the quality assurance department disintegrates. Our revenue is declining. Its so bad even family members of management have quit. Do not come to work here unless you like drowning with sinking ships.

Bring in better leadership. We need direction and you will make more money.

May 26, 2014President

Thank you for sharing your views. We are sorry that you feel this way about the company and its leadership. There are a number of factual inaccuracies in your statement regarding staff transitions ... More

A great company to grow with

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Medical Consultants Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity for growth as the company typically promotes from within. This can happen in 1- 2 years or less. If you work hard and welcome challenges, you will be rewarded.

Management is always available to help if you find yourself struggling or overwhelmed with your work load.

The company's commitment to providing 100% satisfaction to our clients is really awesome to see and to be a part of.

You will become an expect in multitasking and learn valuable customer service skills.

Teamwork is emphasized and everyone's opinion is valued.

A flexible schedule allows one to enjoy other things in life outside of work.

The chairman and owner is hugely supportive of the arts, so as a Music major, it's great to see such appreciation for the arts.

You don't need to have a medical background to be employed, you just need to be dependable and willing to learn. It's an interesting business and can open doors to opportunities that you never thought of.

Cons

A low starting salary that can be off-putting, especially if you have a significant amount of college debt and regular bills. I think a better salary would encourage more commitment from employees and ultimately save the company money, rather than a offering a lower salary and having many employees staying for less than a year.

Internally speaking, some of the younger employees have conversations that are inappropriate in the work place and there are definitely high school type "clicks" in the departments with younger employees. However, all employees are completely professional when dealing with clients and their immaturity doesn't seem to effect productivity

Continue to be in touch with everyone on your team. Regular meetings to check in with your employees on what's working and what needs improvement is invaluable.

More cross training would be great. It benefits everyone to know how their work affects not only their department but how their work affects other departments and ultimately how it affects the client. When you know what your impact is, you can take more care and pride in the work you do, We shouldn't be mechanical bodies that operate mindlessly, we should be knowledgeable employees that understand why we do what we do.

Awful, draining, toxic

Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I worked at Medical Consultants Network full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some really great people who work here. Sadly, most don't work at the corporate office and those who do aren't aware that their own talent could bring them to other jobs that would appreciate them, not overwork them, and pay them more.

Cons

Terrible management who try to crack the whip and try to drive productivity through threatening to fire. Often times people are verbally fighting with each other, and many times including the CEO! Lots of gossip. Promises of raises for hard work with zero delivery. Instead of fixing root causes to toxicity the company wastes lots of time resources and money through people quitting or firing those that just need more direction.

Fix the root causes of an incredibly toxic work culture. Encourage fun and grow individuals through positive reinforcement. Don't micro manage. Trust your work force.

Apr 3, 2014President

Thank you for your response. We are sorry that you felt the leadership lacking in some ways. There have been a number of ongoing cultural and structural changes at the company and when there is ... More