Medical Facilities of America

Medical Facilities of America Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

A company that cares about its patients

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsI've really enjoyed my experience here. There is an intense focus on patient care and it feels good to come to work every day knowing you are making a difference. MFA was also very honest about the job before I started so I know what is expected of me. It is also very family oriented

ConsNot much to say here, I have really enjoyed the experience

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Thank you for developing leaders and providing growth opportunities.

Flag Review
    Medical Facilities of America Communications Manager responded to this review Jul 8, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your information is helpful to future applicants. We appreciate you sharing your positive experience with others.

MFA is an excellent place to work with a strong culture of caring about its patients and employees.

Roanoke, VA

ProsMFA genuinely cares about its patients and its employees. Employees receive competitive wages and benefits, and the working environment is clean and comfortable. Managers are very supportive and they help ensure that we meet and exceed the expectations of our patients. Employees are encouraged to really get to know our patients - their stories, their likes and dislikes, their hobbies, etc. This enhances the comfortable family like atmosphere in our centers.

ConsThere really aren't any downsides to working at MFA. The work we do is so important to the patients we serve!

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to continue to support and develop your employees so that we all can provide excellent care and service each day.

Flag Review
    Medical Facilities of America Communications Manager responded to this review Jul 4, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review. Your insight is helpful and we hope you share your positive experience with others. Thank you again.

Used to be ok, now, not so good.

Nursing (Current Employee)
    Culpeper, VA

ProsThe patients are wonderful to work with and are truly cared for by the staff.

ConsJob insecurity. You never know whether you have a job or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo thanks

Flag Review
    Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are sorry you did not have the experience we hope for. We take your concerns seriously and appreciate the feedback.
  • We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disturbingly dangerous

RN (Former Employee)
    Charlottesville, VA

ProsHigh Salary
    Great Residents
    Good opportunity to learn skills
    Good opportunity to see how things shouldn't be done

ConsLittle training
    No guidance
    Patients receive poor care due to high nurse to patient ratio and relatively high patient acuity
    Poor management

Advice to Senior ManagementInstitute a standard training program for all staff.
    Know what is happening in your facility.
    Do not turn a blind eye to bad practice due to low staffing

Not the "employer of choice" as they claim to be

ProsPatients, Fair salaries, Decent benefits

ConsLack of customer service training aside from videos results in a culture where no one greets people as they walk down the halls.

Always short staffed because people don't want to work for a company with such high turnover. Managers are fired within a year of being hired so no one masters their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your turnover and ask yourself why it is so high. Is there someone in a regional position who is chasing off talent? Find out what your reputation is with the hospitals you serve.

DO NOT APPLY TO THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RN Night Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsNURSE PRACTIONERS &PA'S are awesome!!!

ConsManagement is really unfair, shows favoritism, and are more concerned with censes of each building and sending nurses home when the acquity of care is high!!! They breach confidentiality and nothing is done about it,MAJOR nurse turn-over due to unfair treatment and favoritism. MANAGEMENT TEAMS IN ALL FACILITIES NEED EXTENSIVE TRAINING ON CUSTOMER SERVICE AND FAIR MANAGEMENT STYLE.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt should be against the law for a corporate family member who is an administrator of building to FIRE any employee if she/he doesn't like them. That is unethical....this company allows these type of people to be leaders and set examples for our future leaders. It is sad that all the facilities are managed the same and NO ONE is doing anything about it!!

Disappointed

Rehab Department (Current Employee)
    Pulaski, VA

ProsSteady job, salary, not much really

ConsNo commitment or loyalty to their staff. Poor cleanliness, I would have a hard time placing a family member here. No education for advancement of clinical skills. Poor management and organization skills. They have excellent care when state is in the building. The company has no vision or want to better themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate before you judge. Clean the building

Do NOT work for this company

Nursing Assistaant (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsSteady employment, marginal benefits, free parking.

ConsExcessive favoritism and clique-style management makes this company a terrible place to work. More thought is given to (horrendous) paint and furniture choices than to staff morale or patient care quality. Archaic system of staffing by number of beds filled and facilities will accept any patient regardless of their appropriateness to an elder care facility. Buildings are band-aided back together while making the surface appear clean as a pin. Doctors tend to gloss over serious patient medical problems. Wages are low and cost of living increases not given. Staff medical insurance covers less each year while premiums go up. Upper management incredibly indifferent to problems on the floor despite being told repeatedly and directly. Supplies are often short. Ridiculous rules made up and changed daily; and sometimes those rules are not consistent from unit to unit. Food is horrible; bland and repetitive. Facility laundry antiquated and understaffed. Housekeeping is inadequate; nothing is truly clean.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart putting your money into your staff instead of paint and lobby overhauls. Stop worrying about providing the cheapest, shoddiest supplies that you can. Stop giving lip service to problems the staff report and actually do something about it. Staff your floors adequately instead of providing minimum bodies. You may be daily saving thousands of dollars, but at what cost? Staff is told they are "important" yet the actual work environment is quite a different story.

Overall positive experience

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsStable employment. Fast paced. Lots of learning opportunities

Consacuity level/patient to nursing staff ratio too high

Advice to Senior Managementfree up the nurses that provide direct patient care from paperwork and other clerical responsibilities so more time can be spent with patients and better care can be provided

Great Team Work

Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsLots of room for growth. Everyone in the building works as a team. First priority is patient care. One of the best management teams that I've worked with.

ConsThe pay could be better and overtime is frowned on. Good benifits but you take a pay cut to get them. Sometimes feel overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver all, a good team but you may want to think about how much work you pile on and rethink expectations.

Worked for Medical Facilities of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Medical Facilities of America reviews and ratings. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Medical Facilities of America employees.