Medical Mutual

www.mmoh.com

Medical Mutual Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014
Medical Mutual – US – “Medical Mutual Building, Cleveland, Ohio”

Rick Chiricosta

Strong company but has managerial issues

Account Administrator (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsSalary, benefits, and schedules were nice.

ConsOffice culture was relaxed, it could either be really quite or really loud in the office. Poor management and no proper training for managers. Micro-managing was the preferred style of my unit and it also meant the manager was over involved and the service representatives go away with doing very little while the account administrators did a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really enjoyed working there the first 8 months until my manager called me into her office and told me she didn't think I was "happy here". I was until she said that, then she became a very involved micro manager and would make very insulting and rude comments to me every chance she got. I honestly don't know why she decided to start disliking me, sometimes I thought maybe it was because I was young, engaged and was working on a masters degree but it just seems so petty to think a manager would do and say such awful things due to jealousy issues. She hired me after all.
     I expressed my concerns to HR after I had been working there 2 years, they listened but nothing came of it and they never followed up with me. I finally left after 2 1/2 years. The manager worked her way up from customer service to a manger position, so yes while she "deserved" to be promoted after working for the company for 20+ years doesn't mean she had the training or personality to be a strong or fair manager.

ok

Nurse (Former Employee)

Prosok benefits, salary was fair

Consunfair dept. practices, work schedules, vacation policy

Advice to Senior Managementadd staffing

Great team to work with, but upper management, technology and processes are stuck in the stone age.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Strongsville, OH

ProsWork from home, some mid level managers are good people and genuinely care.

ConsWhole departments are run by people with no experience in that area, processes are inefficient and no one wants to change them, work at home policy is inconsistent, lots of 'cost cutting' due to healthcare reform, but last time I checked the company was still doing well. Absolutely little opportunity for advancement. All the good employees are leaving for other jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY your employees! The yearly bonuses are insulting. The nepotism is really ridiculous as well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Any department other than customer service

Customer Care (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsBeing downtown, the cafeteria, compensation, the overall spirit of the company

ConsParking (parking downtown is expensive!!!) , the call center is ran like a slaveship--the monitor how many minutes you use to go to the bathroom, high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementNext to the customer, your employees should be your next focus. Maybe if you treat them like humans the turnover won't be so high!

Great clients and co-workers.

ProsI feel like I am working with family and have an extremely flexible boss who is understanding. The company is stable. Great communication within the entire organization. Opportunity to receive college tuition reimbursement and on-line training classes covering a variety of topics.

ConsThe compensation was just changed for certain positions within the company and is still lacking. There are no cost of living increases and the annual review process does not give you the encouragement needed to exceed goals. In addition, the turn-around time in several key areas is very slow due to under staffing. I also feel that it is great to have stability in key areas with experienced people, however, not if those experienced people are not willing to try new ideas or be one step ahead of the competition. Improve add-on sales opportunities by offering better ancillary carriers such as dental and vision. Room for advancement is limited if you are not willing to live in Cleveland.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive cost of living increases and car allowances. When traveling to visit clients allow for employees to expense breakfast or lunch expenses as previously allowed.

Analyst

Analyst (Current Employee) Strongsville, OH

ProsTuition reimbursement and the Cleveland cafeteria

ConsHard to move into management positions, poor leadership, inefficient processes and lack of diversity at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow an opportunity of your employees to review their supervisors. There's alot of horrible leaders within the organization and the employees are afraid to speak up.

Fantastic people with a strong vision; but struggling to find its place in the new era of Obamacare.

Corporate Communications (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe people are wonderful. There is a great emphasis on learning and development and community outreach. Medical Mutual deeply cares for its customers, members and communities.

ConsLack of strategic vision in the higher levels of management; some lack of emotional resilience at those levels as well. Very short-term focus on incentive payouts rather than long-term focus on sustainability of the company.

Fantastic Company and People

Business Solution Analyst IV, Lead (Current Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThey take very good care of their employees. They want them to be healthy so they offer them opportunities to do just that. They pay well and they promote based on performance. I was here less than three months before I was given my own team and promoted to supervisory role. They look for initiative and good attitudes.

ConsThey have a number of different systems internally so getting them to talk to one another is difficult. They should allow people to work in the office closest their home to avoid the stress of traffic. There are a number of older employees that are difficult to work with due to the fact that they are ready for retirement

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and consider reassigning people to work out of offices closest to their home. Encourage seasoned employees to be subject matter experts and document their information.

Excellent company to work for and grow

Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood compensation and benefits. Diverse areas within the company.

ConsNo clear career paths, really have to work hard for advancement

Long time employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsCompany took care of its employees and has great benefits.

ConsAt times it appears to be a sweat shop.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of dead weight, it hampers the morale of people who actually want to work for a living.

Worked for Medical Mutual? Contribute to the Community!