Medical Mutual Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
3.3

Rick Chiricosta

Very good internship program.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Medical Mutual as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They have a great program that sets you up with a good network across the entire the entire city through iCleveland.

Cons

Wish they would give the interns more responsibility and be prepared for them to have multiple projects throughout the summer.

good

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Medical Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

pay is very very good

Cons

nothing company is very good

none

Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Data Entry Operations Specialist II  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Data Entry Operations Specialist II in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Medical Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A good place to work, company sponsors many organizations, very flexible with work/life balance

Cons

Laid off my whole department due to the claims all going digital

Give more individual feedback

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at Medical Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

ok benefits, salary was fair

Cons

unfair dept. practices, work schedules, vacation policy

add staffing

Strong company but has managerial issues

Former Employee - Account Administrator  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Account Administrator in Columbus, OH

I worked at Medical Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, benefits, and schedules were nice.

Cons

Office culture was relaxed, it could either be really quite or really loud in the office. Poor management and no proper training for managers. Micro-managing was the preferred style of my unit and it also meant the manager was over involved and the service representatives go away with doing very little while the account administrators did a lot.

I really enjoyed working there the first 8 months until my manager called me into her office and told me she didn't think I was "happy here". I was until she said that, then she became a very involved micro manager and would make very insulting and rude comments to me every chance she got. I honestly don't know why she decided to start disliking me, sometimes I thought maybe it was because I was young, engaged and was working on a masters degree but it just seems so petty to think a manager would do and say such awful things due to jealousy issues. She hired me after all.
     I expressed my concerns to HR after I had been working there 2 years, they listened but nothing came of it and they never followed up with me. I finally left after 2 1/2 years. The manager worked her way up from customer service to a manger position, so yes while she "deserved" to be promoted after working for the company for 20+ years doesn't mean she had the training or personality to be a strong or fair manager.

Any department other than customer service

Current Employee - Customer Care  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Medical Mutual full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being downtown, the cafeteria, compensation, the overall spirit of the company

Cons

Parking (parking downtown is expensive!!!) , the call center is ran like a slaveship--the monitor how many minutes you use to go to the bathroom, high turnover

Next to the customer, your employees should be your next focus. Maybe if you treat them like humans the turnover won't be so high!

Great team to work with, but upper management, technology and processes are stuck in the stone age.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Strongsville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Strongsville, OH

I have been working at Medical Mutual full-time

Pros

Work from home, some mid level managers are good people and genuinely care.

Cons

Whole departments are run by people with no experience in that area, processes are inefficient and no one wants to change them, work at home policy is inconsistent, lots of 'cost cutting' due to healthcare reform, but last time I checked the company was still doing well. Absolutely little opportunity for advancement. All the good employees are leaving for other jobs.

PAY your employees! The yearly bonuses are insulting. The nepotism is really ridiculous as well.

Great clients and co-workers.

I have been working at Medical Mutual full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I feel like I am working with family and have an extremely flexible boss who is understanding. The company is stable. Great communication within the entire organization. Opportunity to receive college tuition reimbursement and on-line training classes covering a variety of topics.

Cons

The compensation was just changed for certain positions within the company and is still lacking. There are no cost of living increases and the annual review process does not give you the encouragement needed to exceed goals. In addition, the turn-around time in several key areas is very slow due to under staffing. I also feel that it is great to have stability in key areas with experienced people, however, not if those experienced people are not willing to try new ideas or be one step ahead of the competition. Improve add-on sales opportunities by offering better ancillary carriers such as dental and vision. Room for advancement is limited if you are not willing to live in Cleveland.

Give cost of living increases and car allowances. When traveling to visit clients allow for employees to expense breakfast or lunch expenses as previously allowed.

Analyst

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Strongsville, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Strongsville, OH

I have been working at Medical Mutual full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Tuition reimbursement and the Cleveland cafeteria

Cons

Hard to move into management positions, poor leadership, inefficient processes and lack of diversity at the top.

Allow an opportunity of your employees to review their supervisors. There's alot of horrible leaders within the organization and the employees are afraid to speak up.

Fantastic people with a strong vision; but struggling to find its place in the new era of Obamacare.

Former Employee - Corporate Communications  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Corporate Communications in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Medical Mutual full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are wonderful. There is a great emphasis on learning and development and community outreach. Medical Mutual deeply cares for its customers, members and communities.

Cons

Lack of strategic vision in the higher levels of management; some lack of emotional resilience at those levels as well. Very short-term focus on incentive payouts rather than long-term focus on sustainability of the company.

Worked for Medical Mutual? Contribute to the Community!