Medical Positioning

3.4
Laura Brady

1. Great Introduction to Medical Device Sales with Lasting Career Opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Medical Positioning full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Foot in the Door: When taking my initial position with the company I was a fresh college graduate trying to get into medical sales, an extremely hard field to break into. MPI welcomed me with open arms and introduced me to the industry with no previous experience. Training: Ample product and sales training were provided upon my hire and throughout my time with the company. Small Company: MPI is small with an open door policy. When first looking for a position out of college I wasn't aware how valuable this is to my career growth. With a small tight knit group I am able to personally know and interact with all levels of the company from the CEO to manufacturing on a daily basis. The open door policy allows me to take my questions, comments and concerns directly to the source rather than working through several people and trusting them to pass along my message as intended. Location: Our office is located in the West Side/Crossroads and serves as a great spot for lunch outings, commute times and after works happy hours etc. Co-Workers: The sales force at MPI is supportive and has a healthy dose of friendly competition but with no overbearing personalities. Innovation: The engineering staff does a great job of taking customer feedback and applying that feedback to current designs as well as creating new products to expand our lines into more departments. Product Diversity: I am able to work with numerous departments within the hospital giving me experience and knowledge of each. We currently have products selling into non-invasive cardiology (echo), vascular, invasive cardiology (cath labs and EP labs), surgery, pain management, radiology, women's centers, mammography and breast biopsy. Minimal Travel: Again fresh from college I thought that traveling for work/sales would be a blast, after a few trips you quickly realize it isn't as glamorous as it seems. Since we are an insides sales force we really only travel for exhibits/conferences so each representative is gone once or twice a year to a destination city such as Las Vegas, Napa, Boston etc. which is plenty for me. Growth: I was able to move up the ladder rather quickly, if you work hard and produce results you will be rewarded. Established Company: Being that MPI invented the EchoBed we have a very strong customer base and are a sole source provider for all of our products. We have built strong lasting relationships with some of the most well regarded systems out there including Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinics, Kaiser Permanente as well as a strong GSA (government) contract. Time: With MPI you are able to be "off the clock" meaning that I don't have to answer calls from clients in the evening etc. like other companies in the industry that require you to be available nearly 24/7

Cons

You have to be a self starter here so if you don't have the personal discipline to come in every day and do your best to create and close opportunities you will not meet your quota. With any small company you do have to have an entrepreneurial spirit and work hard to meet company goals and ensure that not only you but your team as a whole meets their goals. The medical device industry is dynamic and you have to keep up on the every changing industry, requirements and hospital dynamics. This requires research, persistence and willingness to change approach from representatives. With inside sales especially you need to be very organized and work hard to leave a lasting and positive impression on your customers.

Advice to Management

When I first started upper management was fairly new and have taken the company in a positive direction, establishing lasting relationships with major names in the industry as well as introducing new sole source products. Keep it up!

2. Great Entry Level Job but Poor Management

I worked at Medical Positioning

Pros

Great introduction to Medical Sales

Cons

Micro and un-professional Management/ No advancement

3. Medical Device Company that allows for Entry Level Sales Positions and Career Advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Medical Positioning full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

About 4 years ago I transitioned from a career in insurance sales to medical devices sales. I had no previous medical knowledge or experience yet Medical Positioning brought me in and gave me the necessary training to be successful in selling specialty devices to Cardiology/Radiology units domestically as well as internationally. I was assigned a specific territory to manage as well as given free reign to contact any and all pertinent departments that could benefit from our specialized products. MPI is a small company (around 30 people total) with an open door policy and encourages self starters. They give you all the necessary tools and training to be successful at your job. The company's goal is to grow the core product line, as well as introduce new and exciting products on an annual basis. Personal qualities necessary to be successful: organizational skills, communication skills (written and verbal), multitasking, time management, ambition, diligence, and work ethic. Management expects you to work throughout the workday, but does not require after hours selling, or anything similar. In other words, you get to have a life outside of the office. Some travel is required (trade shows) but not extensively. Competition for our products is limited and as the company was founded 20+ years ago, we have a very extensive client base with prominent facilities as our prime buyers (Kaiser Permanente, Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Baylor Health Systems, Mass General, the US Government, etc)

Cons

You have to be a self-motivated individual to be successful. You're held accountable for your territory and the sales (or lack there of) within it. Medical Positioning gives it's sales representatives up to a year to to get acclimated, learn the products, and show that they can do their job. After a year plus, should the individual not be able to perform their job requirements, they will let you go and look to bring in someone who can do their job to the fullest. The medical industry is a fluid one, with ever changing rules, regulations, and requirements, so it behooves one to be aware of said changes and be able to adapt accordingly. This is an "inside sales" position, so you can't afford to be afraid of the phone or of rejection. You'll hear many more "no's" then you will "yes's". Having a good phone demeanor, being able to speak clearly, and being able to listen to the needs of your clients are key.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve upon the current product line and add new and exciting products. Continuing to listen to the "wants" of our clients and applying those to our products is also important. Things are trending in all the right directions with the company, so keep on this path for continued success.

5. Great place to learn, good training and an excellent introduction to medical sales

I have been working at Medical Positioning

Pros

Good products and great training. Sales team needed a lot of work from the previous previous owners and people were just sleepy and lazy. New owners helped improve things.

Cons

Morale wasn't the best but has improved over time. Former owners were horrible...new owners have had tough time fixing things up, but have succeeded in many areas and improved things quite a bit. There was a lot of negativity from older, disgruntled and underperforming employees...also from some related to former owners. A lot of this has changed as the naysayers have left or have been fired. The company deals decisively with performance problems, so the lazy ones naturally complain and blame the management team for their own inadequacies.

Advice to Management

Keep managing performance, deal with the negative people and reward your top performers, as has been done by the new and former CEOs.

6. If It seems too good to be true it is.......

I have been working at Medical Positioning

Pros

Several nice employees and good training

Cons

Horrible management and Pay - no communication and way too much micromanagement - be prepared to take a personality test and go on bike rides with the owner or you wont have a job here for long- also the owner calls the shots but doesnt have the tenacity to actually show his face and makes decisions from the hip with little or no knowledge or understanding of the actual market or even the products sold. Nobody here makes the six figures they claim and you are dealing with a year long at best buying cycle so be prepared to starve for a long time especially the way the products are seperated if you are in radiology you are at a huge disadvantage.

Advice to Management

Get out while you can the new owner is taking this company down a path where it cant succeed and spending assets like crazy - this company wont be around for long.

RSS Feed </> Embed