Medical Scribe Systems Reviews

30 reviews filtered by
3.2
Michael Connellan
1 Rating

1. Long hours, but intrinsically rewarding due learning in a niche field and clinical exposure.

Current Employee - Emergency Department Scribe
    Current Employee - Emergency Department Scribe

I have been working at Medical Scribe Systems part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well paying part-time for college students. Employers are understanding and cooperative. Excellent opportunity for learning about emergency room operations

Cons

Overnight shifts can be grueling if you are taking college classes. Compensation is compromised to due gaining "pre-med"experience. Novelty can wear off despite being in the ER.

Pre-med students will undergo a lot of debt in medical school, and already have hard classes. Provide higher compensation.

2. Working for the company itself was horrible!

I have been working at Medical Scribe Systems

Pros

Wokring in the medical field has its own reward. Some of the physicians were helpful and wanted you to learn and you get the feel of fast pace ER Experience.

Cons

If you are a student run! Yes you get the experience of working in the medical field but all the work they make you do isn't worth the pay especially if your a student. They really hire anybody, a couple of scribes just made it past High School with no college experience they are always looking because the amount of people that are constantly quitting. The management sucks because they are stationed in California and the lead scribe really has no athority. The lead scribe is kinda the babysitter and they are spy's for the management in California . So if your not on the lead scribe good side he/she will do and say anything to get you off the team. Didn't feel like a job to me basically because the feel of how things were tuned was unprofessional. The employees and the hospital itself not tied into medical scribe system were a bigger help.

Train your lead scribes and training scribes better. The overall training is unprofessional and not beneficial. The pay should increase due to the amount of work that the company is expecting.

3. Good healthcare experience

Former Employee - ER SCRIBE in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - ER SCRIBE in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Medical Scribe Systems

Pros

Working with physicians, clinical settings, learning alot of medical vocabulary.

Cons

learning each physicians specific medical note style

better more personalized notes for each physician.

Do it only for experience into healthcare

Current Employee - Scribe in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Scribe in Orange, CA

I have been working at Medical Scribe Systems

Pros

You learn a lot and gain clinical experience prior to entering graduate healthcare school

Cons

Low pay, bad management and organization, little room to move within company

Great Company

Current Employee - Emergency Medicine Scribe in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Emergency Medicine Scribe in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Medical Scribe Systems

Pros

They really care about their employees and give students the ability to get real time experience while getting paid.

Cons

It is difficult to balance working while in school, but they do a good job of working around your schedule.

While I understand that pay must be kept as low as possible for profit management, the starting salary is still too low for the quality of work you expect.

Below average wage, but great experience.

Former Employee - Emergency Department Scribe in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Emergency Department Scribe in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Medical Scribe Systems part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The main pros that Medical Scribe Systems have going from them stem from the valuable experience you can gain at the job. Experience in a medical setting, experience working with patients, and the opportunity to work with long-term providers are all things you can gain by working at this company if you are a scribe.

Cons

The main issue I had with this company was the very low wage that is given to the scribed. The company does not have to pay the scribes well because at any wage, there is a lot of competition to get the position just because of the experience gained.

At Medical Scribe Systems they treat you really well as if you're family.

Current Employee - Medical Scribe in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Medical Scribe in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Medical Scribe Systems full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If your in the medical field, this company has teamed up with many hospitals that can give you the experience you need working in the ER. At most of the hospitals Medical Scribe Systems works with, the Doctors are all very nice and are willing to teach you and help you with whatever you need. Also there is a lot of opportunity for advancement in position and pay.

Cons

The morning shift starts at 7AM and the graveyard shift ends at 3PM.
    They require you to work holidays.

Apply, experience it, then leave for a better company.

Current Employee - Scribe in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Scribe in Houston, TX

I have been working at Medical Scribe Systems part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The physicians who I work with have for the most part been kind and understanding. I learned a lot, even with an extensive medical background.

Cons

1. Management never gives anyone positive feedback. Ever. If you're looking for anyone to tell you you're doing well at any point, even when you perform exceptionally well, don't work here.

2. When feedback is given, it's not only negative but very vague. Things like "you're too sociable" or "staff feel as though you should be more uncomfortable", etc, have been given as feedback both to the entire group and then to some of us as individuals. When asked how that can be improved, there aren't any direct, precise ways to fix it. There's no feedback on why what you're doing is bad, no ways to improve, and employees always lose this battle and are told to "improve behavior" (or be fired). There is no recourse, and no one will ever tell you who has made these complaints, nor will they go to that person and try to elucidate more specific feedback. You're on the losing end.

3. Uniforms don't cover midriffs of any of the employees. Management has said they're "fixing this" for about a year. Meanwhile, we aren't allowed to wear jackets or anything to keep warm, even if we have the company logo affixed to them, because that's 'unprofessional' (whereas midriffs are just fun).

4. You have no power. Physicians can yell at you when they're having a bad day, slip you their numbers, etc. Guess who loses that battle. (This has happened to at least half of us and probably more.)

5. Your lead scribe has no power. So the only people you see are completely powerless.

You are essentially stuck between management and the doctors, and they want totally different things, and you can't make either one angry. You have no power at any time in your job, even when you move up within the company. Your lead scribe is a figurehead only and isn't informed of even the most basic operations.

There are no benefits.

They started off paying me $8/hr.

They refuse to hire full-time staff, so I don't know how anyone here got a full time job. I was initially working 40-70 hours per week because we were so short staffed, but eventually cut back to 20 or less. Now, I'm back to 40-70 because everyone is leaving. We've lost 37% of our staff in one month, and that number is only going up.

Filter your feedback - don't just repeat what other people tell you ver batim, but figure out how employees can fix it. Don't pass frivolous complaints along. Commend people for working two shifts back to back, or 50+ hours per week. Give positive feedback. ANY positive feedback.

Talk to physicians about changes that will be made within the hospital about documentation, so that they aren't blindsided, and employees don't catch the negative feedback from them.

Jackets. Allowing people to wear NICE, non-polo shirts with embroidery if they wish to purchase them.

My experience with Medical Scribe Systems was initially positive, but with time, I felt used, taken advantage of, and less hopeful about pursuing a career in medicine.

Former Employee - Medical Scribe
    Former Employee - Medical Scribe

I worked at Medical Scribe Systems part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Scribing, in general, is a good way for pre-medical students to gain entry level experience in the field of emergency medicine, anatomy and physiology, hospital environments, and medical decision making. However, there are no pros to working with Medical Scribe Systems according to what I have experienced.

Cons

Initial training is stressful, and you may be terminated if you do not pass successfully. When you begin bedside training, you work with a scribe trainer, and these trainings are not consistent. As a result, your scribing skills and knowledge will vary. After bedside training is completed, you may not immediately get shifts. I was given two shifts for the entire first two months, all late evening into overnight hours. This was not financially or academically feasible for me. Finally, starting pay is very low compared to other scribe companies, so this was an overall negative experience.

If Medical Scribe Systems wishes to retain more of its scribes and reduce overall size and frequency of classroom trainings, they should consider improving the organization and quality of training. They should also stop essentially taking advantage of young pre-medical students looking for entry level clinical experience. Please, future pre-meds, consider a different company! Do not let this company take advantage of you, as it may affect your grades or question your interest in medicine. There are better opportunities out there!

11. The best possible experience for Pre-Meds

Former Employee - ED Scribe in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - ED Scribe in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Medical Scribe Systems part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Training is extensive, but it is paid after all. The subject material also consists entirely of stuff that pre-meds should find interesting and will need to know eventually.
    - The pay is pretty good given that you can work without any sort of degree or even certification. It's also way better than some friends I know who work for other scribe companies.
    - The hours are perfect for a student or someone working another job. ERs are open 24/7, so there's always a shift that fits your schedule.
    - The experience is unbelievable for anyone interested in the medical field. This position is way better than anything else you could do, since you're sitting beside a physician for 8+ hours a day and learning to literally do their job and think like them.
    - There is a lot of promotion opportunity if you have a year or two off before med school. You can work in on-site leadership positions, which actually pay really well, or as a travel trainer, who travels all over the country with great pay and company-paid hotel/car.
    - You make all sorts of connections in the healthcare field. You're working with like a hundred providers over the course of a few months, so you really build some great connections with people who have already been where you want to go.

Cons

- There is a steep learning curve. It took me about 3 months before I felt comfortable that I had done everything right after a shift, and probably another 3 months before I felt like I was finally starting to get good.
    - Some of the providers can be tough to work with. But if you ever want to survive in residency, you probably have to learn how to deal with this sort of thing eventually.

Medical Scribe Systems Photos