Medical Services of America

Updated May 21, 2014

2.1

Ronnie L. Young

"Family" owned...not family friendly

Pros

The people you work with and helping the patients.

Cons

The cons are abundant. I've never seen anything like this. Unqualified individuals who know nothing about patient care running this facility. They only have their jobs bc they are in some way related to or are friends with the owner or his family. They fire or lay off people that need their job only to put the company in panic mode bc there are not enough people to do the jobs. They hire temps at a very low rate so they don't have to provide benefits or holidays. Salary increases are always on freeze. Continously, actively and knowingly participate in fraudulent activity.

Get your degree in health care management before you try to run a dme company. Treat your employees with respect and not as if they are disposable.

Complete Disorganization

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Fort Myers, FL

Pros

Other coworkers
    Days and hours of operations
    Office new and modern

Cons

Management
    Communication
    Expectations and quotas for medicare only referrals are unrealistic!
    Endless paperwork, profiles-logs- mapquesting for mileage daily
    No full time RNs for field work/case managers - NO OT

Company should evaluate their managers!! Poor communication with management and workers.
    Several issues should have been handled at branch adminstration level and never were resulting in decrease numbers of referrals. Blame squarely placed on employees (unfairly) for not meeting quotas.

Of all the companies for which I have worked, of which there are many, this one is the poorest managed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Pros

There are some good people in the branches but corporate doesn't even know about them.

Cons

There is NO communication, employees are treated as non-entities up and down the line. The management starting at the corporate level and going down the line is very poor generally. Cronyism is in full control.

Either get someone who knows what they are doing to be the top-dog or sell the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

former employee

Pros

Was a great learning experience.

Cons

They do not value their employees.

Don't waste your time with this company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Largo, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Largo, FL

Pros

great proximity to st pete and clearwater

Cons

jobs are not really what they are advertised to be; manager at this location lacks management skills and is verbally abusive; local manager does not know the company well enough to train office staff; long-term office staff is devious and manipulative and feels threatened by new office staff who are better educated and more experienced, so she sabotages your efforts to successfully complete the introductory period

be more selective about the administrators you hire, take action when complaints are brought against long-term staff

A total joke when compared to competition

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

Pros

No worries of traveling for meetings or training; because there isn't ANY!!

Cons

Marketing budget of $250 each month. Can not do luncheons with physicians. Getting reimbursed for expenses is a total hassle. No corporate card here! You will pay for everything yourself. Personal money will stay tied up in expenses that are owed. There is no available promotional items other than pens. Very limited on flyers regarding disease process to educate physicians. If you are just getting started in marketing/sales this position may be right for you, otherwise beware. I wish I would have. Company has high expectations of reps and will not provide resources required to be successful in competitive areas.

Spend money to make money. MSA is known as a joke among larger DME providers and home health. To avoid this reputation get rid of some of this salaries that are not necessary and use it toward adequate marketing budgets and supplies.

I get no respect!

Former Employee - Reimbursement Team Member  in  Lexington, SC
    Former Employee - Reimbursement Team Member in Lexington, SC

Pros

Flexible hours for a temp worker.
    Some cool people to work with but anyone above you isn't worth saying hello to. They won't do the same for you.

Cons

Senior management (A.K.A. Corporate) is in another building next door and does not bother checking on any of the worker bees. Pay is terrible. Management shuffles most of the employees every few months and it's not even under the pretense of cross training.

Compensation
    Diversity

Disorganized management, minimal direction or resources for sales staff.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

The regional sales manager RARELY made an office visit, so micromanagement was minimal. My location manager handled the office operations and my job was to generate referrals. We got along great and worked together to keep our office in business.

Cons

Serious lack of resources for sales reps. We had monthly meetings but I had to make a ridiculously long drive every month to the corporate office for a meeting that provided little value as far as increasing sales and developing selling skills. As a rep, I had to make my own sales materials. Literally, copying and pasting our company logo and local office information to printouts from our vendor's websites. Due to the competitive bidding process, the company has been in the process of restructuring, and many people lost their jobs. I was told that I would be able to move to another local office and keep my job, only to find out later in a voicemail that this may not be the case. My regional sales manager jumped ship just before the switch was supposed to occur. The new regional manager never reached out, so I emailed him to discuss the move to the new location. He told me in an email that everyone in our office, including me, was being "severanced". Yes, he made that word up. I had never even met this man and he did not even have the professional courtesy to pick up the phone to let me know. DO NOT take a sales job with this company. If you can help it, DO NOT take any job with this company. Management is in complete disarray and nobody knows who to report to. If you are desperate, make sure you negotiate a higher salary before you go on board, or don't expect a raise. There were some quarters where sales commissions simply weren't paid. I was lucky enough to get out with a severance package, but many of the employees at the corporate office were brought into their manager's office and told they were being fired for breaking some rule. There were specific instances when these rules were made up just to have an excuse to fire the employee, as the employee had no idea that the rule or guideline existed or had been changed.

Get your act together and be more transparent with your employees. Establish goals as a team with your employees and work together to achieve them. Provide them with the resources to get the job done instead of scaling back and expecting them to provide results. It takes money to make money.

Home health field nurse

Pros

Flexible schedule, good work load, ethical, centrally located, well supplied , is a good place to start out in home health work

Cons

Do not value employees, no incentives, or positive feedback on performance, punitive management, no in services to keep employees up on changes

Better performance reviews, human resource managers

Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager
    Former Employee - Office Manager

Pros

Great Benefits, Great training will be provided for the position you are hired for.

Cons

Low Morale, Retention is very high.

Require management employees to have more education for their position.

Worked for Medical Services of America? Contribute to the Community!