Medidata Solutions

Medidata Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Medidata Solutions Chairman & CEO Tarek Sherif

Tarek Sherif

Pros:
  • "Includes possibility of working from home when appropriate"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Some positions are flexible with working remotely and that adds to the work/life balance being a core value for Medidata Employees"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "They let the former head of HR leave, they should have convinced her to stay"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Work/Life balance can be a challenge and must be actively monitored"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Friendly people, phenomenal financials, Hyper growth

New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsI joined the company two months ago and I couldn't be happier. It was a tough decision to leave my old company, but the people, the exciting work, the management, the brand new facilities and company overall have made the jump VERY worthwhile. One of the top 5 company goals is to be the Employer of Choice in life sciences and it's very obvious. I've already recommended the company to 2 friends.

ConsWorking in the old facilities while the new ones are being built.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are respectful, friendly, and have phenomenal industry knowledge to teach us. Keep up the good work!

An industry leader with a startup vibe

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsIn general:

* It's a noble cause: making clinical trials more efficient helps drugs get approved faster and cost less.
* Everybody is expected to have opinions about everything--it's a cliche, but the employees are *very empowered*. You can practically write your own job description if you make a good case.
* The company's doing well--raises and promotions come fast, as do special cash bonuses for things like (for an engineer) finding an exploit in another team's code.

In my department:
* Engineers work with a net: 1 tester for every 5 engineers, code review on every commit, test-driven development with automated continuous integration.
* New development is in Ruby on Rails (that's still cool, right?) and makes every effort to do things right.
* You can get paid to write open-source software--Medidata is increasingly releasing everything it can in public repositories on GitHub.
* There's a big training budget if you want to go to conferences or take a course on the side.
* Very relaxed environment--you'll often see us multitasking between work and a card game.
* You can advance arbitrarily far without needing to become a manager; talented engineers can have authority without any direct reports if that's what they prefer.

ConsAt the moment, too many high-level design and administrative decisions are falling on the same few shoulders--people who simply don't have time to review and approve everything they see. It can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeware creeping corporatism: Each new initiative coming out of Human Resources may seem like a good idea in itself, but too many and we'll find ourselves spending hours a day "building team spirit." We're not there yet, but I'm nervous.

Horrible Company to work for. STAY AWAY at all costs!

Confidential (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsLocation (because it is in around Union Square)

ConsMy experience there was absolutely terrible. Previously, I was working at a great company and had job security. I never applied to Medidata, the money hungry recruiter found me on Monster...basically stalked me until I picked up my phone. She managed to convince me of how great Medidata was and matched the ridiculous salary that I requested right off the bat (should have been a red flag). I was rushed in giving my two weeks to my previous employer. I then received calls from the recruiter (and my upcoming new manager) to NOT give two weeks to my previous employer and put emphasis on how they want me to start ASAP (something that shows they didn't care about me maintaing a positive reputation with my old company or how that could affect me)

I finally started at Medidata and was worked like a slave to finish my project. After 3 weeks I finished my project and was told that a "business decision" to let me go is being made....AFTER I FINISHED THE WHOLE PROJECT THEY BROUGHT ME ON TO DO. I was constantly being rushed and given crazy deadlines, only to be let go after 3 weeks upon finishing my assignment. They left me without a job in a hard economic time (they basically pulled me away from my previous employer because they offered me an obscene amount of money, knowing I would take it) and now I am in an awful situation because of them.

STAY AWAY! they are very bad people. DO NOT BE MANIPULATED BY WHAT THEY PROMISE YOU! The recruiters get commission if they find new employees...they do not care about the people at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more considerate of how hard you work your employees. Very unprofessional atmosphere.

Politics, politics, politics

I have been working at Medidata Solutions

ProsReally smart, passionate, mostly nice co-workers. Company is very successful and we do a great job for our customers in all ways.

ConsThere are two major cons. One is that if you don't play politics, you will not have a career with this company. In fact, if you are not on the "good side" of the President of the company, which has very little to do with actual performance (has everything to do with being his drinking buddy), you could be fired with no notice, no warning, nothing. The second con is that HR has gone downhill in the past 6-12 months. From the head of HR to the staff in that department, no one really knows HR or especially how to deal with employees. You can't talk to anyone anymore, and you feel like you are bothering them when you have a question. And most companies feel HR is the most important department and should be one of the positive aspects of the culture! It's really not what it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-vamp HR. Build a culture of merit and accomplishment, not cronyism.

Unrealistic expectations

Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe office atmosphere is positive and the coworkers are friendly. Good benefits as well as flexibility with working at home/office.

Cons- The company continuously focuses to be at the top of the industry while seemingly disregarding the brunt of its own staff dissatisfaction(s).
- Many employees do the work of 3 or 4. Unrealistic expectations (with little to no planning on implementation) are unfairly placed upon the staff while changes are not given the reasonable time to be implemented.
- Good luck in receiving positive feedback from management when you do the equivalent of parting the Red Sea.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't insult the intelligence of your staff when you come up with an idea and then demand it to be applied everywhere immediately with little to no planning. Include your staff on important decisions that will affect them and their respective workflow(s): they more than likely understand the workflow measurably higher than you pretend to.

Overall experience still needs improvement.

I have been working at Medidata Solutions

Pros- You get to work along side with some talented people.
- Part of the company culture is to encourage open dialogue with management, take risks - don't be afraid of failure, and think outside the box.
- The work environment is relaxed and I would say becoming similar to other big tech companies.

Cons- Once young talent is hired, not enough coaching to take to the next level. In general, once you're hired, there's not enough development. There are resources made available, but don't have the time to take advantage.
- There is not much job security. As the company grows, there are many changes / reorganizations.
- The flip side of encouraging employees in taking risks -- if you don't succeed, you are not look upon favorably. There is too much pressure and little time to make mistakes.
- Although the culture is to have open dialogue (from worker bees going up the chain), I don't see this happening as most people I've seen are afraid to go to their managers to discuss problems.
- There is not much opportunity to be promoted. However, there are more opportunities to move laterally.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn terms of company growth, continue with current direction. However, if you want happier employees, enforce what you preach.

A great place for self improvement in a mature company.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsNot a startup, a mature company that is improving and growing. Cool new NYC office later this year. Relatively flexible hours, flexible working from home policy. Sane weekly hours and mature backlog planning. Cool and interesting projects.

ConsSome teams are better than others (but management is actively working on this.) Highly regulated industry requires some cruft on our end. Sometimes hard to understand the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrently at a critical junction. Make your bite as big as your bark and this company is golden.

Very good company to work for

I have been working at Medidata Solutions

ProsCompany provide good work at home solution

ConsToo much old style management

Not a good place to work

Technical Specialist (Former Employee)
Edison, NJ

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people in my department were nice.

ConsProducts are released with little thought to how they will be supported. Integration of products lines is an afterthought. QC is poor at best, I never received positive feedback from management on anything that I did while working there. The structure of the company is constantly in flux and changes are not given enough time to take effect before more changes are made.

Good for Developers, OK for SQA

Senior SQA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood culture. Fast paced environment. Good for developers

ConsHard to get promotion or salary raise.

Worked for Medidata Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Medidata Solutions Videos

Medidata Solutions – Why Work for Us?

At Medidata Solutions, we believe that meeting challenges—big challenges—is what makes for an exciting career. From development, IT and project management to sales, marketing, finance and more, our employees think being… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Medidata Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Medidata Solutions CEO Tarek Sherif. All 80 reviews posted anonymously by Medidata Solutions employees.