Medidata Solutions

Updated September 11, 2014
3.1

Medidata Solutions Chairman & CEO Tarek Sherif
Tarek Sherif

Pros
  • Includes possibility of working from home when appropriate (in 6 reviews)

• great work/life balance and compensation (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They let the former head of HR leave, they should have convinced her to stay (in 4 reviews)

• Work/Life balance can be a challenge and must be actively monitored (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Growing quickly, pushing the edges on innovation, and a good place to do your best work

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Huge market opportunity for Medidata's software and services in an industry (pharma and clinical development) that is under huge pressure to be more efficient. The leadership is aware of what it needs to do to scale the company and its infrastructure. Office culture is relaxed and the work environment is focused. The HQ offices in NYC are gorgeous!

Cons

With growth comes change and there have been many changes in the past year. New leaders in key areas are introducing new processes, systems and ways of working. Change is never easy and some areas are under pressure to adapt while still producing to meet goals.

???

I worked at Medidata Solutions

Pros

Improvement factor is great. Some areas are better than others. Technology is great.

Cons

Some areas could use overhauling. Management not forthcoming about changes, problems, etc. Management tends not to listen to the people that do the actual work.

Sometimes what looks good on paper is not always what works

Nice place to work with a lot of smart people

I have been working at Medidata Solutions

Pros

Nice benefits and perks
    Smart coworkers

Cons

Pace of work is relatively slow than what I am use to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Medidata solutions a great company

Former Employee - Web Designer  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Web Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Medidata Solutions as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The have a comfortable work atmosphere, very collaborative and open.

Cons

None to speak of, open and honest.

Keep doing what your doing.

It's fine.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart peers.
    If you're into it, the kook-aid is sweet.
    Seems to be generally good compensation.
    Management genuinely cares about the company and staff.

Cons

Regulatory pains.
    The kook-aid is a little soured.
    Lack of trust in future vision.
    The user facing products are not interesting.

I'm not sure if I trust the company vision or management.

Upside

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great work/life balance and compensation

Cons

cloud platform creation is taking much longer than expected, and culture of "inner circles"

manage people as well as dollars and cents

Great company with opportunity for growth

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is casual and fun. People work extremely hard but do so while maintaining a sense of humor. There is also a lot of opportunity for advancement, at least in my department. Because we are rapidly changing, there are always opportunities to take on new projects and fix problems you see around even if they're not "part of your job description". If you're interested in something, you're encouraged to get involved with it to really show what you're capable of.

Cons

Things are a little chaotic and because of the rapid growth Medidata is still "figuring it out", but they are trying! Communication is sometimes not the best, and some managers should maybe not be managing...

While the culture at Medidata is really a fun and innovative, we are still not really as "hip" as some of the more progressive tech companies we're trying to emulate (like Google). Maybe get some younger leadership/workforce in general. Just a thought.

Aug 4, 2014EVP, Human Resources

At Medidata, we work hard & play hard too! With so much to be done in our growing company, we want to make sure to foster an environment with a healthy balance between work & fun. We are in the ... More

Company tries hard to make the image of well established, but it is not in reality!

I worked at Medidata Solutions

Pros

Company spent a lot of monies on it's image

Cons

Company spends a lot of monies to show up, but has bazaar management

Medidata hitting its stride

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time

Pros

Brand new facility allows for great collaboration and innovation. Fast paced environment with a lot of exciting work going on. Unlimited PTO and other great benefits for U.S. workers.

Cons

If you aren't actively engaged and jumping in when you hear something of interest, an opportunity will pass you by. Don't expect someone to tap you on the shoulder with an opportunity for development. The pace is so fast that there are often valuable things left on the table. Work/Life balance can be a challenge and must be actively monitored.

Keep the sense of urgency, but make changes with care and decisiveness. When a change is made, be sure it is communicated ALL the way down the line so there is consistent messaging. Stronger coaching and management courses are always welcome. If we are going to promote people from within, we need to have a structure of support for those people - and watching a video is not always the answer.

Aug 4, 2014EVP, Human Resources

Medidata moves at an incredibly fast pace, and with the ever changing nature of our business & industry, it is not likely that we will slow down anytime soon! We understand that the rate at which our ... More

Steadily wearing down from within.

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation can be very attractive for the right role. Serious player in the market. Strategy is a good one if it can be realized.

Cons

If you are not in the right role, compensation is well below industry average. Playing favorites is an understatement. Products are showing age. Many silos between departments and no plan to coordinate. Instead, the decision is to keep creating new groups with unclear objectives. Very difficult to allow new employees, even senior level hires, to make a difference. Said to want infusion of new ideas, but it is just PR, not reality. There are a few people with a lot of influence and these people want to stay fixed on what the company was five years ago. They don't know what the terms future, vision, or change are to an evolving organization.

Practice what you preach. You want ideas from the outside and want growth. Stop squashing these things and support them and the people behind them. The problems that exist may be coming from people who have been there a long time.

Aug 4, 2014EVP, Human Resources

Thanks for your feedback regarding Company silos as this information is very helpful for us when determining which areas are causing our employees the most frustration! As our Company has quickly ... More

Worked for Medidata Solutions? Contribute to the Community!