Medidata Solutions

Medidata Solutions Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Medidata Solutions Chairman & CEO Tarek Sherif

Tarek Sherif

Pros
  • Includes possibility of working from home when appropriate (in 6 reviews)

• great work/life balance and compensation (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They let the former head of HR leave, they should have convinced her to stay (in 4 reviews)

• Work/Life balance can be a challenge and must be actively monitored (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Medidata solutions a great company

Web Designer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe have a comfortable work atmosphere, very collaborative and open.

ConsNone to speak of, open and honest.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing.

Upside

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat work/life balance and compensation

Conscloud platform creation is taking much longer than expected, and culture of "inner circles"

Advice to Senior Managementmanage people as well as dollars and cents

Great company with opportunity for growth

ProsThe atmosphere is casual and fun. People work extremely hard but do so while maintaining a sense of humor. There is also a lot of opportunity for advancement, at least in my department. Because we are rapidly changing, there are always opportunities to take on new projects and fix problems you see around even if they're not "part of your job description". If you're interested in something, you're encouraged to get involved with it to really show what you're capable of.

ConsThings are a little chaotic and because of the rapid growth Medidata is still "figuring it out", but they are trying! Communication is sometimes not the best, and some managers should maybe not be managing...

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the culture at Medidata is really a fun and innovative, we are still not really as "hip" as some of the more progressive tech companies we're trying to emulate (like Google). Maybe get some younger leadership/workforce in general. Just a thought.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Medidata hitting its stride

ProsBrand new facility allows for great collaboration and innovation. Fast paced environment with a lot of exciting work going on. Unlimited PTO and other great benefits for U.S. workers.

ConsIf you aren't actively engaged and jumping in when you hear something of interest, an opportunity will pass you by. Don't expect someone to tap you on the shoulder with an opportunity for development. The pace is so fast that there are often valuable things left on the table. Work/Life balance can be a challenge and must be actively monitored.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the sense of urgency, but make changes with care and decisiveness. When a change is made, be sure it is communicated ALL the way down the line so there is consistent messaging. Stronger coaching and management courses are always welcome. If we are going to promote people from within, we need to have a structure of support for those people - and watching a video is not always the answer.

Company tries hard to make the image of well established, but it is not in reality!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany spent a lot of monies on it's image

ConsCompany spends a lot of monies to show up, but has bazaar management

Steadily wearing down from within.

ProsCompensation can be very attractive for the right role. Serious player in the market. Strategy is a good one if it can be realized.

ConsIf you are not in the right role, compensation is well below industry average. Playing favorites is an understatement. Products are showing age. Many silos between departments and no plan to coordinate. Instead, the decision is to keep creating new groups with unclear objectives. Very difficult to allow new employees, even senior level hires, to make a difference. Said to want infusion of new ideas, but it is just PR, not reality. There are a few people with a lot of influence and these people want to stay fixed on what the company was five years ago. They don't know what the terms future, vision, or change are to an evolving organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. You want ideas from the outside and want growth. Stop squashing these things and support them and the people behind them. The problems that exist may be coming from people who have been there a long time.

Great People, not so great management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful people generally speaking. Hired very talented people. Successful company doing really well

ConsPoor people management, difficult work life balance

Great technology, Poor Management, Worst HR

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLearn new cutting edge software technology. Work with great people, helping support.

ConsMidlevel Management don't understand what makes great software. Don't know appreciate great work. so they can't evaluate. Worst HR ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good people, and only good people.

I love being a part of something big

ProsGreat place to work! The technology is cutting edge and always seem to stay ahead of the curve. Work and home life are important and had always been accommodating to changes in personal life

ConsWorking with engineering when identifies issues and finding solutions. There needs to be more accountability and collaboration from engineering if the company is to continue to be successful.

Not a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsStill a good company. Still very customer-centric, still a company of the smartest people out there and the best products on the market. Changes are being made, but that's normal for growing companies in continual growth mode. Yes, a bunch of people were let go, but I don't think it means anything for the long-term health of this company.

ConsOn the other hand, if you work here its pretty crappy day to day. Nowadays with all companies talking about HR and culture this company is the rare one that doesn't get it. They let the former head of HR leave, they should have convinced her to stay. Now we have HR that doesn't understand our business, doesn't understand that employees want to learn and advance in their careers, is feared and *rules* by intimidation and favoritism. Isn't that the worst reputation an HR department and HR head can have? People live in fear of getting on the bad side of the CEO or President or head of HR and getting fired for no reason, it's the topic of conversation and alot of anger. The head of HR visits the different offices and behaves like she owns them, and its widely known that people are nice to her face and then bad-mouth her behind her back (but never to the CEO or President of course, no honest feedback to them ever). I can even understand the recent firings to be honest, companies need to make changes to keep growing, but the way HR handled them wasnt good. HR can relax the dress code and the PTO policy all they want but those are small compared to what this company needs to put the culture back and regain employee loyalty. Doesn't matter what you can wear if you're not happy at work and doesnt matter that you can take as much vacation as you want if you can realistically never take any. This means HR doesn't understand the employees and what they need.

Advice to Senior Management#1 is keep our products as innovative and "cool" as they are now and stay as customer-centric as we are now. #2 is ask the former head of HR to come back so she can make things right again. #3 is don't run the company like you are two celebrities who no one can be honest with and everyone is afraid to disagree with. This was a great company; it is still a good company but not to work for, although I know it can be again if executive management would just be open to real feedback (people aren't even honest on employee surveys anymore).

Worked for Medidata Solutions? Contribute to the Community!