Medidata Solutions Reviews

Reset
3.5
Medidata Solutions Chairman & CEO Tarek Sherif
Tarek Sherif

Pros
  • great work/life balance and compensation (in 7 reviews)

• Includes possibility of working from home when appropriate (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about work / life balance (in 4 reviews)

• They let the former head of HR leave, they should have convinced her to stay (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good company to work for in Life Sciences

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good fast paced environment, great colleagues, good work culture , friendly, and wonderful new offices. You can be sure to remain at the "cutting edge" of any thing new in clinical technologies with this Company. Expect something new everyday, and lots of excitement at all times, with lots to learn at all levels. There is a lot of communication from the top down, and the management does a great job in keeping the environment charged up

Cons

This is a growing company, and if you move from a larger company to this one, don't expect everything to be honed to perfection. Internal systems get changed quite frequently, but in a way that's probably part of their growing up.

Advice to Management

Change is always good, but too much change can never be good. Focus more on core / flagship products

Nice work environment

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Friendly and knowledgeble collegues, challenging work env, cross platform learning, lot of importance on colloboration and cross department communications, focus on employees

Cons

Cant think of many cons so far besides the regular challenges but the support from the collegues is wonderful. Every one tries to help an work with you on resolving th issue and moving forward.

Advice to Management

More communication with employees and updates on the direction the company is moving in. More company meetings will help in this direction.

A great place for self improvement in a mature company.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a startup, a mature company that is improving and growing. Cool new NYC office later this year. Relatively flexible hours, flexible working from home policy. Sane weekly hours and mature backlog planning. Cool and interesting projects.

Cons

Some teams are better than others (but management is actively working on this.) Highly regulated industry requires some cruft on our end. Sometimes hard to understand the product.

Advice to Management

Currently at a critical junction. Make your bite as big as your bark and this company is golden.

5. An industry leader with a startup vibe

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In general: * It's a noble cause: making clinical trials more efficient helps drugs get approved faster and cost less. * Everybody is expected to have opinions about everything--it's a cliche, but the employees are *very empowered*. You can practically write your own job description if you make a good case. * The company's doing well--raises and promotions come fast, as do special cash bonuses for things like (for an engineer) finding an exploit in another team's code. In my department: * Engineers work with a net: 1 tester for every 5 engineers, code review on every commit, test-driven development with automated continuous integration. * New development is in Ruby on Rails (that's still cool, right?) and makes every effort to do things right. * You can get paid to write open-source software--Medidata is increasingly releasing everything it can in public repositories on GitHub. * There's a big training budget if you want to go to conferences or take a course on the side. * Very relaxed environment--you'll often see us multitasking between work and a card game. * You can advance arbitrarily far without needing to become a manager; talented engineers can have authority without any direct reports if that's what they prefer.

Cons

At the moment, too many high-level design and administrative decisions are falling on the same few shoulders--people who simply don't have time to review and approve everything they see. It can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Beware creeping corporatism: Each new initiative coming out of Human Resources may seem like a good idea in itself, but too many and we'll find ourselves spending hours a day "building team spirit." We're not there yet, but I'm nervous.

6. Fast Paced Innovation

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time

Pros

- Innovative company working with cutting edge technology, highly talented engineering organization given the freedom to use new technology and try new things. -Recent changes in management have increased the focus on the importance of career development, opportunity and talent retention and recognition of high performers. - Fun culture with lots of employee run social activities as well as summer and winter parties.

Cons

- You have to enjoy fast pace and change as things don't sit still for long.

Advice to Management

Continue the current focus on making this the best company to work for!

7. Friendly people, phenomenal financials, Hyper growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined the company two months ago and I couldn't be happier. It was a tough decision to leave my old company, but the people, the exciting work, the management, the brand new facilities and company overall have made the jump VERY worthwhile. One of the top 5 company goals is to be the Employer of Choice in life sciences and it's very obvious. I've already recommended the company to 2 friends.

Cons

Working in the old facilities while the new ones are being built.

Advice to Management

You are respectful, friendly, and have phenomenal industry knowledge to teach us. Keep up the good work!

Dynamic team of smart professionals who work hard and play even harder!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, opportunity for growth, location, people!

Cons

The company has a start-up tech vibe that is slowly moving into more of a corporate organization. Don't lose the vibe.

Advice to Management

Senior management is laser focused on continuing to grow the company and making it the the best place to work in life sciences. Keep up the good work!

Great work environment for engineers getting their feet wet with cloud computing.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has provided me the best work experience I have had to date in the corporate world. My engineering colleagues at Medidata are brilliant and knowledgeable, but more importantly, they are also highly collaborative, eager to share information, and enjoyable to be around. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement. You'll work hard, but you'll also be recognized for doing so.

Cons

Not many negatives -- I feel I can recommend working at Medidata to friends and colleagues without reservation. The company could do a bit more outreach to recruit female engineers, IMHO. I believe HR is taking steps in that direction.

Advice to Management

Management has a few shining stars -- extremely competent in engineering and also great at working with and motivating people (I was lucky to work directly with one of them before he was promoted to higher position). Senior management should look to those few folks for direction and as templates for hiring other line managers.

My interview experience was so positive I remember thinking I want to work here and with these people.

Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior Corporate Recruiter

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genuinely a great place to work. The company values it's employees and they do a fantastic job at attracting top talent. At Medidata you will work with a high caliber of people because they know where the company is going and they work hard because they have pride for their company. The executive staff believes in being transparent and having a friendly atmosphere. The dress code is very casual and the environment is motivational. Some positions are flexible with working remotely and that adds to the work/life balance being a core value for Medidata Employees.

Cons

There is nothing I can think of at this time.

Advice to Management

No matter how big Medidata gets please keep this same environment because it's a pleasure to work in this environment with all the core values.

Medidata Solutions is an innovative company and a great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- college-like environment in the engineering group, great culture and values - working with very smart, visionary people that don't fear failure and are always looking to make things better, adopt the latest technologies and improve the process - appreciation and opportunities to grow for talented people - good work-life balance

Cons

working in a regulated environment can sometimes be frustrating because things are not moving as fast as engineers would like, but there is a genuine effort to automate and optimize the process

Advice to Management

Keep thinking outside of the box.

RSS Feed </> Embed