Medidata Solutions Reviews

Reset

Great technology, Poor Management, Worst HR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn new cutting edge software technology. Work with great people, helping support.

Cons

Midlevel Management don't understand what makes great software. Don't know appreciate great work. so they can't evaluate. Worst HR ever seen.

Advice to Management

Hire good people, and only good people.

Medidata Solutions Response

Aug 4, 2014EVP, Human Resources

We appreciate hearing all input on current and previous employees experience. We share the sentiment that keeping the bar high for prospective talent is incredibly important. We are growing at an ... More

Great People, not so great management

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people generally speaking. Hired very talented people. Successful company doing really well

Cons

Poor people management, difficult work life balance

Medidata Solutions Response

Aug 4, 2014EVP, Human Resources

With our headcount growth close to 20% per year, we understand that some of our employees (who are amazing contributors and valued members of our organization) may not have been ready for the ... More

Not a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time

Pros

Still a good company. Still very customer-centric, still a company of the smartest people out there and the best products on the market. Changes are being made, but that's normal for growing companies in continual growth mode. Yes, a bunch of people were let go, but I don't think it means anything for the long-term health of this company.

Cons

On the other hand, if you work here its pretty crappy day to day. Nowadays with all companies talking about HR and culture this company is the rare one that doesn't get it. They let the former head of HR leave, they should have convinced her to stay. Now we have HR that doesn't understand our business, doesn't understand that employees want to learn and advance in their careers, is feared and *rules* by intimidation and favoritism. Isn't that the worst reputation an HR department and HR head can have? People live in fear of getting on the bad side of the CEO or President or head of HR and getting fired for no reason, it's the topic of conversation and alot of anger. The head of HR visits the different offices and behaves like she owns them, and its widely known that people are nice to her face and then bad-mouth her behind her back (but never to the CEO or President of course, no honest feedback to them ever). I can even understand the recent firings to be honest, companies need to make changes to keep growing, but the way HR handled them wasnt good. HR can relax the dress code and the PTO policy all they want but those are small compared to what this company needs to put the culture back and regain employee loyalty. Doesn't matter what you can wear if you're not happy at work and doesnt matter that you can take as much vacation as you want if you can realistically never take any. This means HR doesn't understand the employees and what they need.

Advice to Management

#1 is keep our products as innovative and "cool" as they are now and stay as customer-centric as we are now. #2 is ask the former head of HR to come back so she can make things right again. #3 is don't run the company like you are two celebrities who no one can be honest with and everyone is afraid to disagree with. This was a great company; it is still a good company but not to work for, although I know it can be again if executive management would just be open to real feedback (people aren't even honest on employee surveys anymore).

High Turnover Rate

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Edison, NJ

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will get paid on time. Thats the only pro that I can think of.

Cons

Not much room for growth. No focus on quality of life. No Structure. Theory X management style. (Micromanagers) Finger pointing is the primary focus rather than actually getting the job done.

Advice to Management

Jump in front of traffic on the highway.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Project Manager in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a good business model, and uses good technology. The senior management really can inspire you, and you feel like the company is poised for big things. Some of the goals maybe a little unrealistic in the timeframe they are talking about, but the broad view seems good

Cons

On boarding and training is horrible. From what I have seen, this could be dependent on the group you are hired into. I have been here for a less than 6 months, and still feel I do not know what I am doing, or what the expectation is. I have been thrown clients using platforms I have no understanding or history with and expected to handle all issues. The company seems a bit too comparmentalized for my tastes. As a remote employee it is hard to know whom to go to when things arise. From my experience, it seems to depend on your manager, and if you end up on with not a good manager, you are in trouble.

Also, the job for which I interviewed for and what I am doing are 2 different things. Much more travel than I was led to believe and quite frankly not what I want to be doing. Also, when interviewing I interviewed for a Senior level position, however after starting, I found the position was a not a Senior level position, which for me is a step back career wise. In speaking with other people, they have experienced the same issue. And once in, it is hard at least in this group to get promoted.

From a product standpoint, they have good idea's, but seem to rush the products out, before thinking about all around performance. Take the time to test thoroughly.

Advice to Management

Create a complete and useful on boarding training. I spent a week at the NYC office for NHO and it was of no help. Take the time to make sure process are explained as well as the technologies used for the different positions. You might think about making NHO job type specific.

Middle management is poor, this needs to be looked at to be sure they are supporting the staff they have. If they don't have time to do so, they should not be hiring new people.

Also, the bait and switch on the positions, if I interview for a Senior level position, that is what should be offered.

MDSO

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time

Pros

Room for growth & love the culture.

Cons

HR department out of whack...stemming down from the top.

constant tactical changes with no strategic direction

I worked at Medidata Solutions

Pros

market leader in great industry

Cons

politics, constant change, most of the top hired from outside.

I love being a part of something big

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work! The technology is cutting edge and always seem to stay ahead of the curve. Work and home life are important and had always been accommodating to changes in personal life

Cons

Working with engineering when identifies issues and finding solutions. There needs to be more accountability and collaboration from engineering if the company is to continue to be successful.

10. Super corporate vision with lots of pragmatism

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Salary doubled in 6 years.
     - Believe strongly in our mission for being an agent of change in the health sciences industry.
    - Get to play with some exciting cutting edge technology and get recognized for innovations which help the company and/or clients.

Cons

- Senior management may suffer from extreme optimism which can lead to difficulty in facing uglier truths about organizational problems from time to time. But the seasonal house cleanings suggest when pushed they do face them.
     - HR doesn't mediate issues with direct managers, giving far too much authority to line-managers.

Advice to Management

Keep firing the directors who don't get the vision. Give a greater pool of proven employees discretionary expense accounts/budgets which they can use to fund improvements they believe valuable to the company.

A company having growing pains

Former Employee - Member of R&D in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Member of R&D in New York, NY

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Great work/life balance
    *Opportunities to meet and work with people from all different areas of the company
    *Opportunities to meet and interact with corporate executives
    *Amazing new corporate HQ in NYC
    *Work on products that can affect peoples lives.

Cons

*Three reorganizations/restructures in the last 15 months.
    *Only beginning to care about personal growth within the company
    *Top heavy on management

Advice to Management

They always talk about the good stuff happening in the company but they don't about the difficult or bad stuff. Need to figure out the company structure and explain to employees what all the restructuring is about.

RSS Feed </> Embed