Medidata Solutions

Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

Medidata Solutions Chairman & CEO Tarek Sherif
Tarek Sherif

Pros
  • Includes possibility of working from home when appropriate (in 7 reviews)

• Excellent culture, work life balance and management support (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They let the former head of HR leave, they should have convinced her to stay (in 4 reviews)

• Work/Life balance can be a challenge and must be actively monitored (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great business model, bad politics

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time

Pros

Very successful company with a bright future, thanks to a rock-solid business model and killer sales team.

Cons

As it's matured, the start-up vibe has definitely been lost, and a more "corporate" feel has set in. This was perhaps inevitable, but the political games didn't have to be.

Excellent!!

I worked at Medidata Solutions

Pros

Too many to list, what I liked best was the bonus and generous time off.

Cons

None that I wish to share in this forum except LONG hours

They claim they have an open door policy but that is just smoke and mirrors.

Fantastic culture and commitment to the development of employees.

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is making more investments to improve the employee experience. It has lavish parties, a swanky new office space with a roof deck, game room, and showers, has implemented a new employee stock purchase plan, and allocates a decent amount to professional development. Everyone strives to foster a hard-working, yet fun environment. I can always trust my peers to have my back. I am learning something new every day. It helps that my direct managers are excellent leaders and they always have their door open if I ever need career or any other kind of advice.

Cons

Depending on your department and the people with whom you work, your experience might differ. Sometimes it takes senior management a while to acknowledge it needs changes and also to reward you for your contributions. There does seem to be nepotism involved when people get promoted. In order to get ahead, I've only not had to work extremely hard, but also play the game to be noticed.

Not everyone is a natural born leader. Some people have to develop their skills; others do not fit the mold. Take strides develop different career paths for leaders vs individual contributors. Put the right people in leadership positions so that they, their subordinates, and the company as a whole can flourish.

Please avoid

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a company with a great company mission - to help save and enhance quality of life. We do a great job for our customers because we care about their success. Great products and services, and some nice new office space globally.

Cons

The cons all center around a bad company culture, which includes politics, favoritism, and an ineffective HR department that has gone severely downhill in the last year+. First, if you want to advance at this company, what you need to do is get in good with executive management, and that has nothing to do with doing a great job and working hard; you have to play politics and be a "yes man". It's all about kissing up and favoritism. Second, with the new head of HR, there have been many "initiatives" and very little if any success in any of them. HR used to be a very effective, trusted, successful department, but no more. Last, rumor and gossip seem to fuel this company, coming mostly from the head of HR and shockingly, from those closest to the CEO and President including executive management and the executive assistant.

Keep up the good work with respect to how we treat our customers and how innovative we are as a company. Please improve HR back to the way it was, because the culture has gone downhill at the same time as the new HR department came in, and that can't be a coincidence.

The Company Has Lost It

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once a great company.
    Nice offices
    If your the flavor of the day, or from California, you might do well here.

Cons

You cannot figure out who is going to get fired next. This company has let go some seriously skilled and knowledgeable core staff that has made the company the success it is today. Why fire great people once you find them if you’re a growing company? What is the signal being sent to other aspiring staff members? This company has no conscious of the lives and families they are disrupting on their way to try to be successful.
    The message is be quiet and don’t stand out because if you do, you might be the next one to get the boot. Getting fired used to mean that you weren't doing your job, that’s not what it means at Medidata.
    The company has hired some new executive HR staff and empowered them, when they don’t understand basic business values (play nice).
    I would advise anyone to stay away from this company unless your unemployed and desperate.

Go back to basics. Get rid of the head of HR.

Not the place to work, under any circumstances….

Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salaries are competitive, but you pay in your soul.

Cons

In the past year and 3 months, the company has taken a serious turn for the worse. The environment has become hostile and many employees are in fear of loosing their job, if they haven't already.

The Product development team suffers from poor leadership at the top. The Product itself has significant quality and reliability issues as can be confirmed by the customer base. The software development team can not get organized in order to fix significant problems with the application, and the customer suffers.

The Executive team can not seem to hire talented leaders to pull the company together. The recent effort has backfired on the Executive team and there will be a price to pay very shortly.

Unfortunately, the customer base will feel most of the pain for misguided, unqualified leadership throughout the company.

I'm not sure the Executive management team is even listening, but in a nut shell, take a step back and start over!!!

The best company I've ever worked for!

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits and compensation packages are excellent; laid back attitude; open to new ideas; embraces innovation in their core infrastructure; corporate promises are actually realized in corporate policies (e.g. they walk the walk)

Cons

None, that I've experienced so far.

Keep doing what you're doing. Transparency and genuine interest in the welfare of your employees is important and evident in how you operate!

Once a great company, now lay offs are the end.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is friendly and your tram members are likeable. *

Cons

The company has no tact and with the inability to innovate is the reason why they are letting go. One individual I know of has a lawsuit out for harassment is how hostile these uneducated people are. Get out now.

Get a PhD or even level set that you'll be on the street looking for a job in a year. With a lawsuit of millions coming on I personally don't see this company surviving.

If you're looking to get hired and fired this is the place

Current Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some engagement between colleagues and work appears to come quickly which is nice.

Cons

People are being let go out of nnowhere for corporate greed. I would not recommend this company to anybody.

Retain talent and dont be afraid to expand while teaching instead of firing directors and others left and right.

The most progressive company I've been a part of

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Meaningful mission and work, intelligent and down-to-earth colleagues, incredible new facilities and benefits, trustworthy and committed senior leadership team, supportive work environment, all the resources you need to contribute to the continued success of the company which translates down the line to successful patient outcomes

Cons

Medidata is a fast-moving and nimble company which can mean lots of change. For some that's intimidating, but most people here are highly adaptable and thrive with constant change.

Medidata Solutions Photos