Medidata Solutions

Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

Medidata Solutions Chairman & CEO Tarek Sherif
Tarek Sherif

Pros
  • Includes possibility of working from home when appropriate (in 7 reviews)

• Excellent culture, work life balance and management support (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They let the former head of HR leave, they should have convinced her to stay (in 4 reviews)

• Work/Life balance can be a challenge and must be actively monitored (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Was Great - Now in Serious Trouble

Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is reasonably good
    Some great people are still working at the company

Cons

HR department has created an environment of fear and dismay.
    The company has brought on senior HR executives and others that don't have a clue about their area of expertise.
    Fear has silenced communication in some vital areas
    Companies prized infrastructure is crumbling
    If senior executives can spin failures into high five successes, it's not long before the end

Admit to the mistake of not listening to your long term veteran employees that have played a part in making the company what it is today.
    Send the new California enlightened individuals back to California
    Recreate core products from scratch
    All disruption is not good
    Listen to employees, retake ownership of the company

Please pull out of the nose dive that our HR leaders have put us in !!

New "Collaboration" ideas aren't working, company is headed for a big lose

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Somewhat a creative environment. Ability to work independently and engage with fellow associates

Cons

No tact from management. No ability for associates who really want to learn. The company was downgraded recently and new management has not a clue. Buckle up.

Promote from within let workers gain knowledge instead of being bashed by the old genre afraid of millenialls

Good

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Medidata Solutions as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly people. Good location (used to be a block away from Union Square). Pays well for internship (and other job opportunities from what I've seen). Very casual business casual throughout the week.

Cons

Old hardware & software programs.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture of promoting personal growth and a highly supportive environment

Cons

None that I can think of

Great place to work!

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cutting edge but mature technology, good modern methodologies and great people. Definitely feel like your voice is heard on any issue. Great benefits and company culture, really fun place to work.

Cons

Not many negatives, as others have said with such a large company can be difficult to keep everyone on same page with current best practices. We do try, but it is difficult.

Don't lose the startup vibe!

The Best Company to Work For -- Making a Difference in the Lives of Every Human on the Planet

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A 10+ year old company run by the original founders and an unwavering commitment to revolutionize the world of clinical trials.

Never in my career have I seen people so passionate about bringing drugs and devices into the global market to improve the quality of life for millions of people.

Other pros in addition to strong leadership:
      * Working with talented peers who challenge and inspire each other
      * Transparency
      * Amazing company parties and other fun after hour social events
      * Cool SaaS technologies like Gmail, Google apps, Jobvite, GitHub, etc.
      * Charitable contributions to causes within the Healthcare industry
      * Contributions to the open source community
      * Career development & opportunities for growth
      * Agile software development and constant delivery of new products
      * Gorgeous new offices in London, NYC, and Tokyo
      * Environemt of constant learning: Brown bag lunches, participation in industry conferences, and many other learning opportunities

Cons

Because the company has been growing so quickly over the last ten years (100x growth), some of the processes and people have been unable to keep pace with the changes. You have to be intelligent and passionate about making a difference in clinical trials to be successful at Medidata. If you're not, you will most likely end up in the same boat as the employees writing negative reviews on this website...

Never lose your passion for making a difference in clinical trials.

I love working at Medidata!

Current Employee - Office Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is growing at an incredible rate and offers a creative, collaborative environment to those who can think on their feet and adapt to change related to best business practices. The founders and most senior executives “walk the talk,” demonstrating their commitment to making this the best place to work in life sciences. Agile employees have the opportunity to offer constructive solutions where there are improvements to be made in processes, systems and interpersonal relationships in a dynamic company. Everyone has a voice, if they are willing to speak up to the right people in the right frame of mind as a part of the solution.

Cons

With rapid growth, fledgling companies typically experience growing pains associated with everything from processes to personnel. Medidata is no exception. The incredible rate of growth experienced has contributed to some bottlenecks and practices that require mitigation. These opportunities for improvement are being managed in a variety of ways, but I understand that change doesn't always happen overnight.

Your people are your most important asset. Keep promoting the positive culture you are striving to spread throughout the organization!

Politics, politics, and more politics

I worked at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*If you get the right manager who chooses to ignore all the BS processes put in place, you can have a good experience there.

*If you were there before the big growth boom (aka: those who can rattle off their employee number and it's in the single-double digits), you were promoted throughout that time and are very happy there.

*If your title involves "Senior Manager," "Director," or "VP" (which you'll notice most all of the positive votes for this place have), you'll be very happy there.

*Great severance package! If you're trying to get out of there, see what you can do about leaving in a way to get one of those. They're quite amazing.

*If you worked in the right office, there were many social things (most not sponsored by the company, all involved employees chipping in a few dollars each and doing organization on their own) which were fun.

Cons

*No chance for growth whatsoever. During my time there (over 3 years), I watched the following happen:

1) Manager changed 3 times. Not a single time was anyone in my group even considered to be promoted to manager, despite multiple people being there for 5+ years and doing a very good job.
    2) Groups which were basically directly above us either expanded or replaced people at least 7-8 times. I asked the manager of one of the groups what I would need to do to have a chance next time there was an opening. Over the next 1.5 years, I followed the list he gave me to a T, showed him what I did the next time there was an opening, and he asked, "Why did you focus on that? That's not what you need for this group." When I responded that it was because it was what he said was needed, there was no further questions or answers. I was just flat-out lied to, to get me off his back. That was the only time I saw anyone considered to move up, and of course then everyone else got mad at me for trying to move up at all.
    3) The only person I ever saw move up into another group is someone who was a manager already in our group. Again, not a single person was ever even considered, while multiple people were brought in from outside.

*Politics. You're either playing the game or you're not. It would take too long to go through the stories, but everything you can imagine was involved: lying, backstabbing, sex, alcohol, drugs....it was like a modern day Game of Thrones, only with less incest.

*You will be lied to, and if you're not playing politics and are friends with the right people, nothing else matters. While trying to move up, I of course was trying to blow away any goal I was given, as to show I'm a good worker in general, while also showing interest and learning towards the job I want in the company. The result was management telling me that the work I did didn't really count, since it was so much some had to have been made up, while others, who did far, FAR less work, I was told were obviously doing more since they were in a busier office, and the work was just going undocumented. I tried that strategy next (not taking so much time to document, and instead focus on doing more work), and was then told that I'm obviously no longer doing much work, since there was little documented.

*You will be worked to death. I worked in a back-end supporting role while there. I saw the company grow well over 100 people during the time there. I saw our group lose a headcount and saw groups above us dump some of the more menial work on us at the same time. The result is adding more and more work onto our plates with no recognition, thanks, increase in salary, bonus, or any other incentive whatsoever.

*Frequent, expected, unpaid overtime. Again, with no recognition, thanks, or anything else involved. It is just expected at the lowest levels, while other than in sales, you will not see a manager work late, ever.

1) Flatten the management, a LOT. There are far, FAR too many middle managers, all of which are perpetuating the awful environment there.

2) Promote from within. Not just a key person who has been playing politics. If there's an opening, give people within a chance to apply BEFORE outsiders.

3) Understand that if employees are asked to continue to do more and more, they expect recognition in return. It doesn't have to be monetary, but have some kind of rewards structure in place.

Medidata Solutions is an innovative company and a great place to work

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- college-like environment in the engineering group, great culture and values
    - working with very smart, visionary people that don't fear failure and are always looking to make things better, adopt the latest technologies and improve the process
    - appreciation and opportunities to grow for talented people
    - good work-life balance

Cons

working in a regulated environment can sometimes be frustrating because things are not moving as fast as engineers would like, but there is a genuine effort to automate and optimize the process

Keep thinking outside of the box.

“great place to work...very innovative...”

Current Employee - IT Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Medidata Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Brilliant Engineers
    Opportunities to learn - tons of resourceful people you can learn from
    Benefits - great health plans, great 401k options, and great perks

Cons

- Segmentation of products - product teams are too silo'd from eachother.

Medidata Solutions Photos