Medieval Times, Inc.

3.4

Kenneth Kim

Telling it how it is.

I have been working at Medieval Times, Inc. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This job is ideal for college students that want to go to school in the morning, and work at night. The management works with your availability, and gives u plenty of hours. The job is busy in a serious of rushes and periods of downtime.

Cons

It is extremely hard to get fired from this company. It is very easy for a poor employee to linger around the company and never get fired, despite the countless disregards for their job and their duties. This is both a good and bad thing, because you won't be fired for mistakes, but lazy employees are not fired.

If you get hired in one department, and want to transfer to another, it will take nearly 2 years before they transfer you despite their original promise of transferring after 3 months of working for the company. Don't be disappointed when they tell you a transfer is soon, and soon turns out to be a year later.

Make transferring between departments faster and transfer dates more clear to workers.

Medieval Times

I have been working at Medieval Times, Inc.

Pros

very understanding of other duties and lenient on schedules.

Cons

long hours, no breaks in between, work weekends and holidays.

Great show, great food, great place to work at

Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I worked at Medieval Times, Inc. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The amount of money you make in tips there is amazing! I love the staff and the people there! The shows are only two hours so you can make what most people make in 8 hours in 3! The food is great also!

Cons

Sometimes it is very hard to get a night off if your schedule says you are available during high peak business seasons. Of course, when it is slow its harder to get hours so sometimes you have to have a back up job or save all the money you need during the high peak!

Make sure anyone who takes a position there as management has no ties of personal business or personal emotion with work! I had a manager that if he was having a bad day it would show! Or if he did not like you (or shows favoritism) it was easily seen!

Pretty much over it at this point

Current Employee - Squire, Food Server, Retail, Bartender in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Squire, Food Server, Retail, Bartender in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Medieval Times, Inc. part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lot's of potential to meet interesting people, co-workers have been pretty awesome for the most part, free tickets are always awesome.

Cons

LOT'S of nepotism, many hard-working employee's don't get recognized. Management depending on which department can either be a pro or con. Have seen some management get angered to where they've wound up punching holes through walls. Pay is crap. Have been there and worked for many departments over the years, pay is absolute crap. Retail workers almost make more than the people risking their lives around horses and weaponry?? Only 1 department for "promotion" but pay again is terrible until you put in years of commitment, see previous sentence. Overall it's a great place for the customers and guests who attend, if you enjoy Medieval Times my advice is don't ruin the magic and work there.

For the most part no real complaints, calm down a bit and trust your hard workers.

Not too bad of a company

Current Employee - Food Server in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Food Server in Hanover, MD

I have been working at Medieval Times, Inc. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great hours
    Pretty good money
    Fun environment
    When we do well within the company there are great perks
    Very open minded co-workers
    Very diverse

Cons

Uptight General Manager who is always giving away free stuff to the customers but blames the employees. Has really bad problem solving skills. His idea of fixing a situation is give the customer all their money back. TERRIBLE IDEA

Get a new GM in Maryland. He gives away your money and says it's out fault he had to do it. Completely unnecessary.

A fun and incredibly physically demanding environment where kids are overworked and underpaid. And if you are over a certain age, regardless of your physical and mental capability, you will NOT be a knight. That's called something.... Right?

Former Employee - Anonymous in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Lyndhurst, NJ

I worked at Medieval Times, Inc. full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you like to work around horses, can afford to make very little money, love physical challenges and eventually performing wearing costume armor, this is the place for you.

Cons

The management environment is awful. Managers have no formal training but are promoted from within, with no real skills, no human resource training, no real capabilities.
    The pay is below standard and everything possible is done to keep employees from unionizing, as this actually qualifies as entertainment, stunts, and theatre performance.

What advice can be given to those who feel they're above it?

Fun environment, until corporate comes in.

Current Employee - Wench in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Current Employee - Wench in Lyndhurst, NJ

I have been working at Medieval Times, Inc. part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The actual work is great; very fulfilling for someone who loves to give a great customer service experience. Because it's a theatrical setting, with new guests every day, the experience is different every day. The company also offers a small tuition reimbursement for students, and reimbursement for health club (gym) memberships.

Cons

A rushed environment; those who cannot deal with pressure should look elsewhere. Newer management is making lots of inconsequential changes to the outside (guest) experience, or takes away from it, and frankly punishes hardworking employees who just want to show up, do their jobs well, and leave.

Stop enforcing new rules that have nothing to do with a better customer experience. Start offering all-over better pay, which should be equal in all departments. Happier employees work harder. Reconsider your managerial choices, as some of them have no right to be leading departments without a considerable amount of further training.

Pretty good. Not the job for you if you want to see your friends and family in the evening though.

Former Employee - Gift Shop Wench in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Gift Shop Wench in Dallas, TX

I worked at Medieval Times, Inc. part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. Basically easy work. Free food if it was leftover. Fun costume and kind of fun to tell your friends you worked in a castle in the middle of Dallas. It did tend to end up a bit smelly at the end of the night in the dressing room though...

Cons

It was really hot and tiring to be on your feet for so many hours. The pay wasn't very high but decent for the type of work being performed. Per Cap sales goals were annoying but team leaders were encouraging and excited if you met them.

My Family for 22 years!

Current Employee - Group Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Group Sales Manager

I have been working at Medieval Times, Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fun....Always a pleasure to sell a good time! Staff always wonderful..Gave us an opportunity to get involved with Charitable adventures..Sent me on a Globe Aware volunteer trip to Costa Rica! Show is wonderful, working parades and marketing events was always fun. Threw
     great parties and fund raisers...

Cons

Corporate ended alot of the family vibe....

Try to go back to the days of family...No company ever had more loyal Employees, Cherish that.

Overall, it was a pretty decent job.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Medieval Times, Inc. part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was very casual, even though we had to dress business casual, no jeans or flip flops, though it was not strict and we often had "dress down days" and could earn dress down coupons. It was a job very dependent on you which I like. Managers were friendly. Pay was pretty good for such an easy, brainless job. I was easily able to go to school full time and work about 30 hours/ week.

Cons

There were many "cliques" and cattiness. A lot of girls got away with wearing leggings as pants (forbidden in the handbook), sandals, very unkept appearances. Everyone complained about the job because it could be incredibly slow, to the point where they'd send people home early. Being sent home early was great, but during the slower seasons, you were sent home on the bulk of your shift and wouldn't make any money. Getting days off during the busy season was like pulling teeth. They'd have calendars up MONTHS in advance with days blocked, where your days off would be denied. You can't possible know in March, that random days in August will be busy. I can't plan family deaths, or illnesses around Medieval Times's busy season.

Train your management better. When we complete a week-long training course, we do things the way we are trained; later management will say that it is wrong. There is a particular manager who is pretty clueless. Pay attention, ask her questions, I bet she can't answer them. She is very mean, berates you for things that aren't actually wrong and is very nosey. We are adults, treat us that way.