Medieval Times, Inc.

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kenneth Kim

My Family for 22 years!

Group Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFun....Always a pleasure to sell a good time! Staff always wonderful..Gave us an opportunity to get involved with Charitable adventures..Sent me on a Globe Aware volunteer trip to Costa Rica! Show is wonderful, working parades and marketing events was always fun. Threw
     great parties and fund raisers...

ConsCorporate ended alot of the family vibe....

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to go back to the days of family...No company ever had more loyal Employees, Cherish that.

Pretty good. Not the job for you if you want to see your friends and family in the evening though.

Gift Shop Wench (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsFun environment. Basically easy work. Free food if it was leftover. Fun costume and kind of fun to tell your friends you worked in a castle in the middle of Dallas. It did tend to end up a bit smelly at the end of the night in the dressing room though...

ConsIt was really hot and tiring to be on your feet for so many hours. The pay wasn't very high but decent for the type of work being performed. Per Cap sales goals were annoying but team leaders were encouraging and excited if you met them.

Overall, it was a pretty decent job.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsIt was very casual, even though we had to dress business casual, no jeans or flip flops, though it was not strict and we often had "dress down days" and could earn dress down coupons. It was a job very dependent on you which I like. Managers were friendly. Pay was pretty good for such an easy, brainless job. I was easily able to go to school full time and work about 30 hours/ week.

ConsThere were many "cliques" and cattiness. A lot of girls got away with wearing leggings as pants (forbidden in the handbook), sandals, very unkept appearances. Everyone complained about the job because it could be incredibly slow, to the point where they'd send people home early. Being sent home early was great, but during the slower seasons, you were sent home on the bulk of your shift and wouldn't make any money. Getting days off during the busy season was like pulling teeth. They'd have calendars up MONTHS in advance with days blocked, where your days off would be denied. You can't possible know in March, that random days in August will be busy. I can't plan family deaths, or illnesses around Medieval Times's busy season.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your management better. When we complete a week-long training course, we do things the way we are trained; later management will say that it is wrong. There is a particular manager who is pretty clueless. Pay attention, ask her questions, I bet she can't answer them. She is very mean, berates you for things that aren't actually wrong and is very nosey. We are adults, treat us that way.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Medieval Times gave me the chance to grow and evolve as a business professional.

Sales and Events Manager (Former Employee)
    Lyndhurst, NJ

ProsThe company cares about their team members. Providing your willing and ability to work hard, you can have numerous opportunities to grow with the company as they pride themselves in promoting from within.

ConsCorporate is corporate. Although they are privately owned, we all have rules and regulations that are to be met and followed within any company.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you may have a squeaky wheel within the team, does not mean they are not willing to compromise and adjust to situations. Give the squeaky wheel oil (make them feel like you are listening to them and their problems) will make the noise go away.

Dont waste your time. Get a real job.

Lawrenceville, GA

ProsYou get to wear costumes to work.

ConsI worked there for two years. I did literally every department as a favor to management, and never one got a thank you. If anything they started to expect it, and when I couldnt cover a different department one day I paid for it. Benifits are crap. Kiss your weekends, holidays, and social life goodbye. A female manager has been with the company for 5 years full time and a manager, and didnt give her maternity leave it was all unpaid. The wouldnt put up the schedule EVER and then wonder why you werent there. The 3 out of 5 coworkers dont have a moral compass. Management never left high school it seems like (drama wise) because they like to gossip about their workers to other workers. They dont take serious issuses serious. Management wont let you transfer to a different department even if it is better for you if they just dont want to hire someone new. Everyone tells you to get out before you get stuck, but then give you a hard time and treat you bad because you try to get out. Take my advice just dont even bother getting sucked in in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun Medieval Times as good as you pretend to.

Keep your head down when management is around and never go the extra mile

Bar Tender (Former Employee)
    Buena Park, CA

ProsGot to learn how to bartend, close environment made some of my closes friends in the year and half that I was there. Tuition reimbursement was nice

ConsNew employee are not learning, crazy hours, have to keep proving to them that you can do the job and if you go the extra mile they laugh at you( yes sometimes literally). Expect to get stiff on tips a lot. No leadership. Management clueless, inappropriate and unprofessional. Manager never work at a bar before becoming the bar manager and did not even know how to make drinks, gave us our schedules on Sunday last day of the schedule. Current placing in new procedures that will make it harder to earn money. This is the Buena Park castle no clue how others are.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, and be professional.

Medieval Times Provided me with the training and tools that I needed to have to succeed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsFun Atmosphere, Knights in tights and the ability to sell a wonderful show

Conscorporate changes and micro managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees and continue to give them the tools to succeed

Took me out of my box

Server/Wench (Former Employee)

ProsTips..on a good show you could really make a lot of money. The guests made it a great place to work.

ConsLong days on double or triple show nights. Came home beat and smelling like chicken.

Really fun and a great learning experience, but the hours are too crazy.

Cashier/Cash Control (Former Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

ProsLots of hours during holidays
    Commission is an extra, not a focus
    Get really close and personal to the team: like family
    Long breaks allow you to run errands/eat/hang out
    Fun atmosphere, lots of fun to be there
    Amazing benefits if you get the chance to use them
    Lots of great chances to see the show for less.

ConsOn-call schedule
    Work all holidays
    No work-life balance on weekends
    Hours vary on off seasons (which means pay stinks)
    Too many employees when only a certain amount can work maximum on a day
    Breaks can be too long sometimes
    Asked to go home early often
    Even if you were given a chance of promotion and deserved it, seniority is priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more careful about how many people are working in one department. When there's a total of 8 people in one department that can only hold 4 maximum, more than half the time, you're calling off half the employees. Don't schedule 6 people on a weekday knowing you're going to call off 4 of them because the shows are too small.

Great Environment, Management, and Coworkers

Bartender (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly management and coworkers.
    All of the employees are close inside and outside of work.
    Overall, fun and friendly workplace.

ConsFew full-time job options available.

Worked for Medieval Times, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Medieval Times, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Medieval Times, Inc. CEO Kenneth Kim. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Medieval Times, Inc. employees.