Medifast Reviews

100 reviews filtered by
2.7
Medifast CEO Michael MacDonald
Michael MacDonald

Pros
  • Commission & helping people with their weight loss journey (in 8 reviews)

• Helping the members on their weight loss journey, learning about the (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sinking ship and nothing that upper management says is true (in 13 reviews)

• The Weight Loss Consultants are too educated to be paid so little (i (in 8 reviews)

1. I LOVE working at Medifast!!

I have been working at Medifast

Pros

I have been working full-time for Medifast for close to 4 years now and love the FREE Medifast food. I've lost close to 15 pounds in the last few months with the help of Medifast! I also LOVE all of the benefits and employee discounts!

Cons

I wish the profit share program was better.

Advice to Management

Revise the profit share program and allow employee's to purchase Medifast stock through company's 401k plan.

2. Weight Loss Counselor

I have been working at Medifast full-time

Pros

Pay is not bad, and the training is very good. Pretty good place to work.

Cons

Monthly sales goals can be a little high, making it harder for you to get bonuses. Not impossible though.

Advice to Management

You have a trainer who is micromanaging the centers. Its a little insulting to the center directors who are in charge of thier counselors.

3. Ever changing,ever evolving,moving forward

Current Employee - Sales/Service in Owings, MD
    Current Employee - Sales/Service in Owings, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time

Pros

Good benefits. On site fitness facility, work life balance, growth opportunities, tuition reimbursement under grad/grad program

Cons

Poor communication practices to front line.

Advice to Management

Give information to those impacted most first.

5. Great Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Medifast has a lot to offer it's employees. Amazing benefits, generous PTO banks, free onsite gym membership with free personal training, flexibility and work/life balance,tuition reimbursement, and jeans on Mondays and Fridays. The company is working hard to develop and grow it's employees.

Cons

None at this time.

6. stinks

Former Employee - Center Manager in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Center Manager in Leesburg, VA

I worked at Medifast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a full time job

Cons

care about nothing but money, dishonest

Advice to Management

get out of the weight loss industry, it is obvious you are only in it for the money

Center Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Medifast full-time

Pros

Ability to experience the weight-loss journey with clients. Interactions with clients and potential customers. Developing rapport and camaraderie with the counselors. Learning more about nutrition as a result of a position in a weight loss center.

Cons

The centers opened in my location were all franchised centers as I understand a number of them currently are. These particular centers were franchised by a group who previously franchised another weight loss group (LA Weightloss) prior in my area, and they used similar dated marketing tactics to try to bring in customers. This resulted in poor coverage of the area and few calls from potential clients.

In addition, there was a quick sense of competition developed in the counselors by the regional manager, who made it clear our jobs were to bring in customers at all costs. The campaigns we were sent out to help bring in awareness of our business were absurd. The regional manager had no actual empathy for customers but had a fake, pithy ability to suck in people who had no business coming to Medifast. The people who owned the franchise made a point of stating they expected a large number of return customers from the LA Weightloss days, which dropped any and all confidence I had in either product's maintenance of weight loss.

Finally, I lost a job there for no other reason than not conforming to everyone else. The regional manager "let me go" because I didn't dote on her every idea like every other girl in the place. As a business major who has worked in several start-ups, this model is ridiculous. Hiring women with virtually no background in nutrition to "mold" them into nutrition counselors and have them tell overweight clients how to eat and how to handle any issue that arises from foods they aren't fully aware of is absurd.

It's no surprise this franchise shut its doors less than a year after they opened in my area.

Advice to Management

If Medifast wants to survive, hire actual nutrition majors who have a background in the field and know how to handle their clients delicately. Stop screwing around with franchisees who are only in it for the profit. Hire regional managers who know how to manage instead of people who do the same thing over and over without listening to other ideas and advice. Reevaluate the contents of the food on offer as most of the complaints center around the allergens: soy, dairy, etc. And teach your managers, counselors, and upper management to be more concerned for the well-being of the client and less concerned about how much they're making in commission. Most clients can see right through fake concern.

8. Does not value employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in DFW, TX

I worked at Medifast full-time

Pros

Great product that works!
    Makes a difference in the lives of others.
    Wonderful coworkers.

Cons

High pressure sales environment! The company was disorganized and was constantly going through changes. In the 3 years that I was there, I (and all of the staff in my region) received 4 pay cuts. Management constantly pressures the staff to sell more and lost sight of the real purpose of Medifast....to help people. The hours were horrible and inconsistent. There was very little employee appreciation.

Advice to Management

Value the customer and their health and quit raising prices on them. Value your employees. A "thank you" can go a long way.

9. Great place

I have been working at Medifast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    salary is nice
    coworkers are great
    free gym membership

Cons

I'm not sure if i can put Abby cons at the moment so far so good no issues

10. Overall, good experience.

Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Counselor

I have been working at Medifast

Pros

Benefits, Growth opportunities and interactions

Cons

Sales driven rather than focused on journey of weight loss

Advice to Management

More transparency to centers.

11. Great Company

I worked at Medifast

Pros

Growth potential
    Very rewarding job as your get to see the clients' weight loss transformation
    Competitive salary and great PTO

Cons

Closed in center division
    political