Medifast Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

2.1

Medifast CEO Michael MacDonald
Michael MacDonald

Pros
  • Helping people achieve their weight loss goals (in 5 reviews)

• Helping people get healthy and lose weight (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sinking ship and nothing that upper management says is true (in 11 reviews)

• The corporate office is incompetent and tries to keep afloat by always changing the rules (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people to work with!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the culture and the people. Great work/life balance. Love working for a company that is helping people.

Cons

Growth opportunity is lacking. Would like to be rewarded for hard work with additional responsibility and promotions.

Keep the talent here by promoting the people who deserve and give them a growth path to work towards.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Medifast full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We literally change people's lives!

Cons

Resistance to working remotely in some areas

Allow, where appropriate, some ability to work remotely

Horrible work environment. Very dishonest atmosphere

Former Employee - Center Manager
    Former Employee - Center Manager

I worked at Medifast full-time

Pros

It was nice to see people lose weight

Cons

The focus was completely taken off weight loss and placed on dollars spent. If you want to be a telemarketer and perform robotic work, then this job may be for you. If you really sincerely want to be honest and help people run far, far away.

Most of them don't understand weight loss.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Sales Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Intrinsic value helping people in the community to live healthy lifestyles. Compensation was decent, although the commission scale at the time wasnt appropriate to the amount of revenue a single center was producing.

Cons

Very little leadership from HQ in Baltimore

Racism, Politics and Hierarchy Crazed

Former Employee - Copy Editor  in  Owings, MD
    Former Employee - Copy Editor in Owings, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for a well known Brand Name looks nice on the resume.

Free products and health bars. Access to the local gym membership

Cons

Racism - Some VP's treated African Americans like lower employees or like they weren't as capable to do the work. When I worked there, a woman had great education in law and a particular VP treated her so condescending.

Hierarchy - If you're black OR don't have a certain appeal about you they will ASSUME you work in the Call Center or that you should work the front desk. Both are viewed as "low" in the hierarchy or as company ants. Now if you are in those positions as a minority or are another race and not the corporate ideal blonde, then they will be nice to you because they feel that's where you belong.

More diversity, equality and respect.

The worst company/job ever.

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a paycheck, nothing more, no one there cares about the employees or the clients.

Cons

Upper management is clueless, they are not from the weight management industry and don't understand it. They threaten, intimidate and mistreat employees. There is such as "desperate" desire for success they swing through the air grabbing at anything that they believe will make them money. They have no direction, no communication and NO accountability coming out of Owings Mills, it's all about who your buddies and family are. There is zero integrity, no respect and no appreciation at all. Worst place I've ever working in my life.

Sell while your stock is decent.

Assistant Marketing Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a Manager there was some formal training. I learned a lot about the Weight Loss business which I was new in and worked with some good people.

Cons

There are too many promises of growth professionally and financially which became very clear were never going to be realized. The expectations from each level is far far off balance from reality that make the financial promises even more absurd!

Corporate Leadership needs some real reorganization

It has been a learning experience.

Current Employee - Utility Worker  in  Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Utility Worker in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

he best reason to work for Medifast is being able to get employee discounts on food.

Cons

The pay is not all that good

Start listening to employees more.

Call center reps micromanaged.... more calls in less time.. CSR's feel like we're trained poodles.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy commute if you live in Baltimore or Reisterstown. Co-workers get along well.

Cons

Call center reps are in dead end jobs. Positions above csr are always filled from outside company. Zero growth for csr's. High turnover. Being micromanaged to the second. Not minute. Second.

MONSTERS! Worst emotional abuse at a job EVER ! EXTREMELY DYSFUNCTIONAL COMPANY

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting to know and helping the members

Cons

This company cares about NOTHING BUT MONEY. They claim to care about the members but are constantly cutting back on the services they provide and raising the prices on the meal replacements the members have to buy. They treat the employees very poorly and badger the center managers constantly about sales but will not advertise..they want them to do "grassroot marketing' and bring the prospects in that way alone. I worked there 3 years,the first 6 months was okay but then management kept changing and changing. The last year I was there I was belittled, cussed at, and was stressed most of the time.. They do things to people that are extremely questionable..DO NOT GO HERE. They are selling the centers as franchises and are not forthcoming about the details..always trying to string the employees along. There is no security here...they have been firing people left and right to save money and one of them was there 3 years,she was fired for not updated her sales board ! The previous district manager was constantly making inappropriate comments to the employees and harassing them..they knew but did nothing even though it was reported.

You should be honest, stop making empty promises to your employees. Stop treating your employees like garbage. You didn't even give me an exit interview or acknowledge me when I gave notice..I WORKED HARD FOR YOU FOR 3 YEARS .

Worked for Medifast? Contribute to the Community!