Medifast Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Medifast CEO Michael MacDonald
Michael MacDonald

Pros
  • Commission & helping people with their weight loss journey (in 8 reviews)

• weight loss industry as well as some selling tricks (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management want us to use many of another weight loss competitor's strategy's and guidelines to run our business (in 13 reviews)

• The Weight Loss Consultants are too educated to be paid so little (i (in 8 reviews)

1. Evolving place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Medifast encourages employees to live a healthy lifestyle themselves while promoting health through evidenced-based products and programs. The support that Medifast offers customers and clients through the different divisions helps to provide people with options of support through their weight management journey.

Cons

The company is developing new processes and improvements, therefore restructures frequently, so jobs change as well. This constant change can make working challenging at times.

2. Counselor

I worked at Medifast

Pros

Good company to work with

Cons

different schedule week over week

3. Employee Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employer provides a plethora of information regarding physical health, nutrition, and personal finances and the support of each. Offers lots of employee team building activities and has a very friendly family like atmosphere.

Cons

employee pay rates are on the lower end of the median for hourly and salaried employees. Cost of living increases would be nice. The company could do a better job of internal employment promotions through internal training of key employees to the next level position through training, coaching, and mentoring. This is a great morale booster and often times proves to be more economical than hiring externally.

Advice to Management

Could spend time focusing on coaching and mentoring existing employees into the next level positions when available or cross training employees who are interested in expanding thier services to the company.

5. From Day 1...I knew Medifast was the right company for me!

I have been working at Medifast full-time

Pros

From Day 1 I knew Medifast was the right company for me! For as long as I can remember fitness, good health, and well being have been my foundation. So, it felt very rewarding to join an organization that had not only created a vision to get America Healthy, but was fully committed to that vision. Of the four channels here at Medifast I have had the opportunity to work within each one and gain insight and perspective into the values that the founder Michael McDonald instilled and are still evident today. Medifast is rooted in 'Good' people, doing 'Great' things! No matter how much the world at large changes, the people here at Medifast have always been the driving force propelling the company toward change and success. people

Cons

I would like to see more external training opportunities offered. I feel the networking possibilities would be very beneficial building on the talent that we have here at Medifast, In my experience forging external partnerships can be essential to building on best practices and front-end customer strategies.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. Medifast

I have been working at Medifast

Pros

Medifast provides a few nice incentives such as 4 weeks of paid time off in the first year of service, state-of-the-art gym on-site with personal trainers, free Medifast food, matching 401k, and a couple of parties a year. The company has a great team of people who work hard to accomplish goals set to capture more market share and increase profits.

Cons

Medifast has a lean workforce which can make it challenging for the teams to stay focused on the priorities. With several different business channels servicing the customers, the priorities can switch very quickly so you have to be nimble.

Advice to Management

Develop the internal team to master the changes necessary to expand and hire more people and invest in state-of-the-art systems to support the business today and into the future.

Loved Clients

I worked at Medifast

Pros

Working with Clients was a wonderful experience

Cons

Ashamed that the stores closed in VA

Advice to Management

none

8. The Future is Here!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Owings, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Owings, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company! Great teamwork, friendly work environment, lots of opportunity to make a difference. Great focus on productivity and work/life balance. I LOVE my job and everyone I work with here and at the facilities. Lots of family-friendly work activities and community service events. Training department offers online and classroom courses for professional development. Robust benefit package plus free product and use of gym for employees. HR is very accessible. Follow-through on Open Door policy. Very glad to have found this company.

Cons

A few growing pains for a mid size company. Some processes have been grandfathered from a time when it didn't matter in a smaller organization. But that just means good projects to dig into for improvement - just bring your skills and experience to the table.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to all employees. Continue raising the bar for company product line and new channels. Keep up the great work!

9. Corporate HQ After 2+ Yrs of Employment

Current Employee - Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy in getting work accomplished
    The hiring of industry experts in key roles seems like a good leadership decision
    Quick to market on products/services
    Entrepreneurial feel; projects worked typically have direct impacts on company bottom line
    Conversational atmosphere
    Casual work environment
    Free on-premise gym
    Laptop provided
    Phone provided

Cons

Change is constant
    Strategies don't always appear to be long term
    Turnover rate of employees has been high in certain departments

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the profitable business areas
    Continue to develop products that can be used by many segments of the population (not just for those looking to lose weight)

Poor Management

Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor
    Former Employee - Weight Loss Counselor

I worked at Medifast full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fulfilling when a client reach their goal weight
    Gain friends/connections
    You look forward to seeing clients
    50%off the product

Cons

Poor management
    Turnover rate is very high
    No growth in the company
    Counsellors doesn't have a nutrition/counseling background

Advice to Management

Hire a person who has a health/nutrition/counseling background. Not just anyone who's experience was selling make up.

11. Very Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Medifast full-time

Pros

Altruistic Mission, Family-Owned & Family Atmosphere, Highly Collaborative Teamwork Environment, Highly Profitable, Great Co-Workers, Diversifiel & Multi-Level Sales Channel Model Help Mitigate Market Risk, Competitive Benefits Package, Good Work/Life Balance

Cons

Still Seeking Identity In A Challenging Market Space, Multi-Channel Business Fragments Corporate Strategies, Advertising Spend Low & Minimally Effective, Antiquated Operating Systems

Advice to Management

The next 6 months are pivotal -- not so much the financial results that will be achieved in that time window, but the infrastructure that will be laid for future success.

RSS Feed </> Embed