Medifast

Be The First To
Add Photos

Medifast CEO Michael MacDonald

Michael MacDonald

It has been a learning experience.

Utility Worker (Current Employee)

I have been working at Medifast full-time for more than 3 years

Proshe best reason to work for Medifast is being able to get employee discounts on food.

ConsThe pay is not all that good

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to employees more.

Call center reps micromanaged.... more calls in less time.. CSR's feel like we're trained poodles.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Medifast full-time for more than a year

ProsEasy commute if you live in Baltimore or Reisterstown. Co-workers get along well.

ConsCall center reps are in dead end jobs. Positions above csr are always filled from outside company. Zero growth for csr's. High turnover. Being micromanaged to the second. Not minute. Second.

This is an overall great company to work for.

I have been working at Medifast

ProsGreat benefits, including access to our own gym

ConsSome departments have high turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the company events going

Low pay, and morale coupled with little opportunity to grow.

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou'll work with some very talented people (director level and under)
You'll be stretched thin, but have an opportunity to experience different roles and areas within the company giving you the opportunity to learn a lot.

ConsPay is terribly low
You'll be promised raises and opportunities to get you to stay, but then nothing will ever come of them.
Management (executive level and above) is a mess and most people in those roles are not qualified to be in then.
NEPOTISM! This company has a serious problem with hiring and promoting family members and people close to the family. Almost every person in an executive role is there because they are related to the family or know the CEO and most are completely unqualified for that role.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your "worker-bees", they are the reason your company is still holding on, which is obvious given recent executive changes that have run a successful local company into the ground. Stop treating this company like it's a billion dollar international company. It is NOT! Please, save yourself some trouble and realize that - get back to basics.

You pay your employees disgustingly low, while executive level management are making millions. Given lower level employees truly keep the business running you might want to consider higher salaries and more appreciate for them or you will lose talented people.

Hopefully, someone is reading this and taking our comments into consideration. Your HR department is truly awful. No compassion for employees and they generally do not care about why they lost an employee. It's sad.

As this company has grown it's has become cruel, which was not the case when former owner Brad MacDonald was around. Getting back to where you were 4 years ago could go a long way. I never thought how happy I was with the company when I started could have ended the way it did - feeling used, and unappreciated

Room for improvement, but overall not bad

Purchasing Agent (Current Employee)

I have been working at Medifast full-time for more than a year

Pros- Generous PTO plan
- Holds very nice company parties/functions
- Great company culture

Cons- Middle and senior management is questionable
- No tuition reimbursement

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to learn how to convert strategies in actionable items; Need to make sure departmental initiatives are not conflicting with other departments

Medifast MN is the worst place to work! The management is the same group that ran LA Weight into the ground!

Employee Services Manager (Former Employee)
Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than a year

ProsClients are the wonderful. It was such a joy to help them.

ConsThe management in MN pretends to care but are so cut throat and uncaring. So fake! It is sad!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe owner should get a new management team!

Jaded

I have been working at Medifast full-time

ProsYou will learn skills that are transferable.

ConsPoor hours, stressful clientele, high demand and very little reward. Supervisory staff leaves much to be desired; support comes more from 'who you know' rather than the proper channels. The business fails to properly arm itself and present itself: corporate tends to create its own problems and then expects the 'little man' to correct them with little to no communication.

Incompetence.

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people and coworkers below the director level. Anything above is a political nightmare.

ConsUnethical management with lack of know how. Too many office sitters with titles, not enough worker bee’s to do the actual work. Upper management makes decisions without clear research. Family members with little professional experience outside of the company running the business. No loyalty to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company and go sit on a beach.

Chaotic juvenile company desperate to find a direction

Lower Level Office Worker (Former Employee)

I worked at Medifast full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe work experience of working in a totally dysfunctional company, friendships developed with co-workers and the product does help people.

ConsVery poor management, always changing direction, creates confusion for everybody. Too many people with titles, not enough lower office workers to do the actual work while the upper class holds countless meetings. Upper management seems to make decisions without clearly researching. Family members with little professional experience outside of the company running the business. No loyalty to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire an experienced woman to run the company. Not a family member, or if you want to continue with family, get out of the stock exchange and go back to private.

Terrible

I worked at Medifast for more than 3 years

ProsI develops a support structure myself with other employees

ConsToo many to name in this little space

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up already

Worked for Medifast? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Medifast reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Medifast CEO Michael MacDonald. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Medifast employees.