Medifast

Updated November 5, 2014
2.3

Medifast CEO Michael MacDonald
Michael MacDonald

Pros
  • Commission & helping people with their weight loss journey (in 8 reviews)

• Helping the members on their weight loss journey, learning about the (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sinking ship and nothing that upper management says is true (in 12 reviews)

• Center employees are expected to work very long hours including holidays (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working for Medifast!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Medifast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company incentives, free gym membership, good pay, yearly raises, helpful management, company events and a cheerful enviroment. I appreciate managements open door policy and willingness to listen.

Cons

For my postion not much room for growth currently, but I'm optimistic that will change in the near future. Happy otherwise!

Unique experience. ..

Former Employee - Corporate in Owings, MD
    Former Employee - Corporate in Owings, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Medifast was described as Fast paced and Change friendly. In addition, Growth opportunities were available to some.

Cons

Poor communication from all levels within the organization. High turnover is some departments.

Good Company, Good people, Great products

Current Employee - Center Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Center Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Medifast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Management, great product line that really works

Cons

Low pay for the type of work required. Long hours

Middle and upper management has no clue on successfully running this business, even with all the supposed experience.

Current Employee - Manager/Counselor
    Current Employee - Manager/Counselor

I have been working at Medifast full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We help our clients on a daily basis to lose weight and also to keep it off. This is a very emotional and passionate business, so the successes and challenges of our clients impact us everyday. The work atmosphere at our center is very positive and uplifting.

Cons

As of July 2014 Medifast Inc. sold 12 Northern Virginia an Maryland locations to Transformu LLC. Initially the change was viewed as a fantastic for the employees of these centers. At the first meeting the new employer talked up a very convincing game on how bright the future would be. We heard business would increase dramatically with the advertising campaign that was going to be implemented. Also we were told that our current compensation plan wold be discontinued and a fresh and exciting plan would be unveiled in a month or two. This created a lot of anticipation and excitement at that meeting. We are one week away from our fourth month and compensation has not even been addressed! Goals were raised unilaterally in October to unattainable levels for 75% of the centers. Upper management want us to use many of another weight loss competitor's strategy's and guidelines to run our business. The most egregious is a paper calender to track our appointments and sales consultations. We have a fantastic web based application that does everything related to the business however we are required to get all pertinent information from the program and write it down on this large calender. It is a total waste of time.The company is run like a dictatorship and people are looking elsewhere for opportunities. Unless things drastically change the future is not bright!

We do need our own compensation plan. Not addressing this matter is very mystifying. Management should also set the example of "being the brand". Employees should have some previous relevant experience before managing or training others. Be more original. It is like you are using your previous employers standard operating procedures
    manual, and calling it your own.

good environment

I worked at Medifast

Pros

office environment is good, like it

Cons

schedule changed from 9-5 to 8-5, but you can arrive later and leave later,

Overall positive

Former Employee - Corporate Dietitian in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Corporate Dietitian in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance, exciting media opportunities, opportunities for external training and conferences, corporate gym and free onsite personal training, free Medifast food

Cons

Lack of growth potential, below average pay, no graduate level tuition reimbursement

More consistent messaging among channels, more opportunities for promotions

I would request an informational interview with an employee that isn't management first before applying

I have been working at Medifast full-time

Pros

Getting to work with clients one-on-one and see the effective results on a weekly basis was very rewarding. If you enjoy counseling and using the SMART technique this is the job for you!

Cons

The Weight Loss Consultants are too educated to be paid so little (i.e. Registered Dietitians and individual's with degrees). In addition, the company does not encourage the Weight Loss Consultants to utilize their knowledge from school and to just focus on pushing the program itself.

Great People to Work; Nice Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great. We have a nice work life balance. If you are getting your work done, leadership is understanding that there are responsibilities outside of the office that require attention as well. Internal training opportunities and benefits are strong. Having free Medifast food product and gym membership is a great addition to the benfits package.
    Experience working in a fast paced environment where you are able to get your hands on a lot of different projects and build a diversified skill set.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the years, but it is a mid sized company so to be expected at some level.

Medifast Response

Sep 10, 2014Recruiting Manager

We’re so happy to hear your feedback! While there have been changes in the five years you’ve been with us, we’re continually growing and trying to be the best company we can be. Thanks for being with ... More

Overworked and Underpaid

I worked at Medifast part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The thought of helping at-risk individuals achieve healthy lifestyle transformation was my initial attraction to this company. The company promotes its 35-year history of helping over a million people achieve healthy weight loss at the recommendation of 20,000 physicians.

Cons

Long hours, low salaries and perpetual pressure to sell overpriced products with no marketing support was a constant. Every meeting involved quotas or projections; the more programs sold, the higher the expectations. In addition to 12-hour workdays, vacations practically didn't exist, and many employees were forced to work second jobs because of near minimum-wages. Corporate employees were clueless about center operations, when making unreasonable and untimely demands. Combined with antiquated computer systems and cumbersome administrative processes, this was a paper-pushing nightmare of corporate greed.

Require corporate officials to actually work in a center to better understand field operations. Treat employees fairly by providing better work-life balance.

Roller-coaster ride to nowhere

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work hours, minimal overtime, holiday celebrations opportunity to meet others with similar concerns. Encourages healthy eating so the employees don't become the future customers.

Cons

Very much still a company full of nepotism with senior managers who haven't a clue about the weight loss industry, nor how expensive the product is. Too many employee turn-overs. Deluded into thinking that the product can be sold worldwide, much less in second world countries to the south and countries with populations smaller than California to the north.

Sell, quit, or make up your minds! Should be concentrating on new products, not new "snacks" and in your home country. AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: Dump the PYRAMID SCHEME and get back to the core values!