Medifast

Updated December 7, 2014
2.3

Medifast CEO Michael MacDonald
Michael MacDonald

Pros
  • Commission & helping people with their weight loss journey (in 8 reviews)

• Helping the members on their weight loss journey, learning about the (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It is a sinking ship and nothing that upper management says is true (in 13 reviews)

• The Weight Loss Consultants are too educated to be paid so little (i (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People to Work; Nice Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great. We have a nice work life balance. If you are getting your work done, leadership is understanding that there are responsibilities outside of the office that require attention as well. Internal training opportunities and benefits are strong. Having free Medifast food product and gym membership is a great addition to the benfits package.
    Experience working in a fast paced environment where you are able to get your hands on a lot of different projects and build a diversified skill set.

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the years, but it is a mid sized company so to be expected at some level.

Sep 10, 2014Recruiting Manager

We’re so happy to hear your feedback! While there have been changes in the five years you’ve been with us, we’re continually growing and trying to be the best company we can be. Thanks for being with ... More

Overworked and Underpaid

I worked at Medifast part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The thought of helping at-risk individuals achieve healthy lifestyle transformation was my initial attraction to this company. The company promotes its 35-year history of helping over a million people achieve healthy weight loss at the recommendation of 20,000 physicians.

Cons

Long hours, low salaries and perpetual pressure to sell overpriced products with no marketing support was a constant. Every meeting involved quotas or projections; the more programs sold, the higher the expectations. In addition to 12-hour workdays, vacations practically didn't exist, and many employees were forced to work second jobs because of near minimum-wages. Corporate employees were clueless about center operations, when making unreasonable and untimely demands. Combined with antiquated computer systems and cumbersome administrative processes, this was a paper-pushing nightmare of corporate greed.

Require corporate officials to actually work in a center to better understand field operations. Treat employees fairly by providing better work-life balance.

Roller-coaster ride to nowhere

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Owings Mills, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I worked at Medifast full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work hours, minimal overtime, holiday celebrations opportunity to meet others with similar concerns. Encourages healthy eating so the employees don't become the future customers.

Cons

Very much still a company full of nepotism with senior managers who haven't a clue about the weight loss industry, nor how expensive the product is. Too many employee turn-overs. Deluded into thinking that the product can be sold worldwide, much less in second world countries to the south and countries with populations smaller than California to the north.

Sell, quit, or make up your minds! Should be concentrating on new products, not new "snacks" and in your home country. AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: Dump the PYRAMID SCHEME and get back to the core values!

Great people to work with!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at Medifast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the culture and the people. Great work/life balance. Love working for a company that is helping people.

Cons

Growth opportunity is lacking. Would like to be rewarded for hard work with additional responsibility and promotions.

Keep the talent here by promoting the people who deserve and give them a growth path to work towards.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Medifast full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We literally change people's lives!

Cons

Resistance to working remotely in some areas

Allow, where appropriate, some ability to work remotely

Sep 10, 2014Recruiting Manager

Thanks for the feedback! It’s always good to read reviews from current employees to see what they like and want.

Worst job I've ever had

I worked at Medifast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping the members on their weight loss journey, learning about the weight loss industry as well as some selling tricks.

Cons

No win situation, unrealistic goals, set up for failure. Center Manager have no chance to be successful, your treated like a piece of garbage and upper management just does not care. Worst job I've ever had!

Hire educated people to put an end to the bad work enviroment that exists in all centers.

Weight loss consultant

Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant
    Current Employee - Weight Loss Consultant

I have been working at Medifast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping people achieve their weight loss goal. Working for a well known company.

Cons

Horrible place to work for. Consultants are terribly under paid. Never ever get a raise. No incentives. No bonuses. Turn around is VERY high. Poor management that is lazy, bullies and micromanages. Company pays very well to directors whose main job is to SELL the program. The rest is on consultants. It is all about the money and NEVER about the client. Consultants are judged on how many clients they can get in and out in an hour and how much they can sell. The worst place I have ever worked for!

There should be someone from higher up looking at the centers directors. The management is VERY poor in most centers. Company has horrible reputation for a reason. Management just bullies. Promises things they cannot deliver. No one to look up to.

Worst experience of my life.

Former Employee - Counselor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Counselor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Medifast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commission & helping people with their weight loss journey.

Cons

Horrible district managers in certain areas. Workers are bullied and abused. Pay is very low and work life balance is horrible. Thinking back I would have rejected the offer if i knew all of this would happen, not worth the mental abuse. Also, reporting these incidents does not help only makes the situation worse. Clients are not number one priority rather than sucking them dry of all money is top priority. Over- all nothing positive about this place.

Hire better educated and professional staff.

Horrible work environment. Very dishonest atmosphere

I worked at Medifast full-time

Pros

It was nice to see people lose weight

Cons

The focus was completely taken off weight loss and placed on dollars spent. If you want to be a telemarketer and perform robotic work, then this job may be for you. If you really sincerely want to be honest and help people run far, far away.

Most of them don't understand weight loss.

Assistant Sales Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Medifast full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Intrinsic value helping people in the community to live healthy lifestyles. Compensation was decent, although the commission scale at the time wasnt appropriate to the amount of revenue a single center was producing.

Cons

Very little leadership from HQ in Baltimore

Sep 10, 2014Recruiting Manager

We certainly don’t want to hear that you felt a disconnect to the corporate office. We strive to stay connected and ask those who feel a disconnect to let us know. We hope that you did while working ... More