Meditech

Meditech Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing

Howard Messing

Pros:
  • "Work Life Balance- You will work 9-530 and working late does not happen often"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low starting salary (36-37k for my position)"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company)"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent job, especially right out of college

Senior Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsAnnual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance

ConsLow salary, mediocre raises, boring

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better raises to those who deserve them

Great place to start, but lacking in long term potential.

Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsNot a high-pressure sales environment - no quotas will be a positive for some. Great co-workers, great cafe, year end bonus for all employees.

ConsSales territories are getting smaller, which means sales bonuses, which were already decreasing with hospitals settled in with current vendors for ARRA, are also getting smaller.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow for sales staff to naturally decrease over time, and stop hiring additional sales reps - at least until business picks up after ARRA.

Good starting point, no real reasons to stay long term.

Applications Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsThe best health coverage-90/10, bonus every January.

ConsVery low pay, raises not based on performance, big company that they try to run like a small company, no human resources so if you're unhappy there really isn't a neutral party to turn to. Way more travel than they lead on. Your happiness here depends on your group- some are great and some will treat you very poorly as a new hire.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore competitive salaries will help with retention. Promote based on ability and hard work rather than tenure or who outlasted others.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pay is sub par for the market, job stability is impressive.

Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsThe profit sharing and stock options are impressive if you put 30 years into the company. I've never felt fear of layoffs or termination. Management will listen to your input and try to move you into a position that best suits you.

ConsPay is very low... Raises are almost nonexistent. Hours are flexible as long as you want to work 9-530. Promotions are also poor, they are promotions of responsibility and often not worth it. Being a "Senior Specialist" offers no more cash or benefits for the title. The positions are made up titles to compensate for zero vertical movement available in the company. All moves for those coming in unless some one dies or quits are horizontal movements.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a disconnect between upper management and the troops on the front line. Middle managers are extremely hit or miss and can make or break your experience at the company. Most managers in my 7 year tenure are just above useless. They get in the way more often than not and love creating process/red tape.

Good job overall. Not the type of salary I am looking for, long term.

Development Programmer (Current Employee)
    Fall River, MA

ProsSolid management team. Friendly coworkers.

ConsDifficult learning curve. Very poor salary for development programmer. No usable experience with contemporary languages will you receive here.

A good career starter & for long term employees.

Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)
    Westwood, MA

Pros- Good benefits for the most part.
    90% of health/dental insurance is paid by the company. Two weeks of sick time/two weeks of vacation for the first two years of employment, which then gets bumped up to 3 weeks. The cafeteria is subsidized by Meditech, so lunches are pretty cheap. You can get a burger/fries/drink for about $4. The food tends to be pretty good overall. After two years you're allowed one 'work from home' day a week.

- Work/Life balance
    You don't take work home with you. I've worked at Meditech for three years and haven't worked more than 50 hours in a week since I started. Meditech offers 24/7 customer support, so any ongoing issues can easily be handed off to the 2nd/3rd shift employees.

- Job Security
    Meditech tends to not fire employees for whatever reason. After three years I've known 2-3 employees that have been fired. You need to be a serious screwup to get fired. On the one hand it's great to know you don't need to be looking over your shoulder for the hammer to drop, on the other hand this leads to a good amount of apathy/complacency since you know you won't be fired as long as you're barely competent.

Cons- Compensation
    As mentioned in every other review, the compensation at Meditech is pathetic in comparison to the industry average. I was hired as a programmer around 38k and after 3 years I'm making roughly 45k, still well below starting salary at most companies, especially in the Greater Boston area. The compensation model is geared toward longer tenured employees. Since the starting salary is so low, they expect employees to invest in company stock. The yearly bonus is tied to how much you've made in the last 5 years, so again geared towards longer tenured employees. I hear that the compensation does catch up eventually with dividend payments + the bonus. Lots of good employees tend to stick around for a year or two, then find a much higher paying job at another health care organization/hospital. Pay increases are only done on a yearly basis and can only be in $1200 increments. For what reason, I don't know.

- Management
    You're Meditech experience can made/broken depending on your supervisor. Some allow autonomy and tend to leave you alone, some micromanage and will be constantly breathing down your neck. Some will hound you over internet usage, some won't. Some will go to bat for you, etc... Your mileage can vary wildly depending on your supervisor.

-Transferable skills
    There basically are none as a programmer. Saying you can code in MAT/Magic to any other company other than Meditech is like saying you can speak Klingon. Meditech uses proprietary software at every level, so none of that experience is transferable to any other company except those hospitals that also use that software.

- Promotions
    The way Meditech handles promotions is a little ridiculous. Promotions don't guarantee a pay bump, it just raises the 'pay ceiling' for whatever you make. So for instance an employee can have their yearly review in April, get promoted in May, then will work at their current salary for 11 months before their next yearly review in April. Even then, the promotion only raises your pay ceiling, so you might not get a bump then either, however you probably would.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to revisit your compensation model. It may have been a good model back when Meditech was rapidly growing as a company, but now that it's a more stable company with slower long term growth, the model is outdated. You need to offer more competitive salaries in order to incentivize employees to stay. I'm not sure if management is aware of the growing student loans/debt issue with recent graduates, but I've seen numerous employees leave the company due to needing a higher salaried position to pay for their loans.

Hire programmers with programming experience. While I understand that Meditech hires employees with any degree, the fact that the company hires programmers with Math degrees and have never written a "Hello World" program in their life is frankly ridiculous. If I'm talking with a fellow programmer and mention 'regular expressions', their reaction shouldn't be to look at me like I have seven heads. It's embarrassing.

Application Specialist

Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
    Minnetonka, MN

ProsThis is a great entry level position for a new grade out of college. Able to find employment very easy after job. Really enjoyed the work great company to work for.

ConsSalary is very low and turn over at the company is high due to better paying jobs. Still a great company to work for.

This place sucks

Implementation Specialist (Current Employee)
    Canton, MA

ProsNothing is good about this company

Consworst company to ever work for. no vision. no future.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo to hell

Good starting point, not good long term.

ProsWork atmosphere is great. I love the people that I work with. Depending on the group, work hours can be flexible. Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around.

ConsZero room for growth, starting salary is pitiful, raises are almost non-existent. Employees get promoted based on how long they stick it out here, rather than actual skill or effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop buying buildings that you can't fill with employees. You need to learn to show employees that they matter. Telling us that we had a bad year and raises won't be good while at the same time purchasing a $25 million dollar building is absolutely absurd. That is a giant slap in the face to your employees. You need to get in touch with reality and realize that we do the brunt of the work.

Decent stepping stone, don't stay too long

Applications Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are good. Work/life balance. Cheap cafeteria

ConsPromotions to management are random and all about how long you've been there. Low pay and small raises, you will never be rich here.

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meditech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meditech CEO Howard Messing. All 151 reviews posted anonymously by Meditech employees.