Meditech

Meditech Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing

Howard Messing

Pros:
  • "Work Life Balance- You will work 9-530 and working late does not happen often"
    in 17 reviews
  • "The company offers excellent job security and a fantastic work life balance"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low starting salary, but the perks outweigh the con's"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Low starting salary - you get hired entry level, you get paid"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company, slow climb to a higher salary

ProsCulture is good
9-5 hours are consistent
Bonus is good if you stay for a while
Benefits employees who stay a long time in salary, bonus, and vacation time

ConsTakes too long to get to a salary you want.
Can do the bare minimum and barely receive less in salary than someone who works much harder.

Great Entry Level Company

I have been working at Meditech

Pros+ Gain a ton of marketable experience
+ Beautiful facilities
+ Company picnic and christmas party are amazing

Cons+ Non-competitive pay
+ Convoluted Upper management
+ Product is poor

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the good ones go so easily. Make the pay competitive after 3 years

Pretty ok...

Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)
Canton, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt's like a cult, but in a good way. If you aren't a 'joiner' or don't want to share details of your personal life at work, this isn't the place for you.

ConsIt's like a cult...you spend time with these people during the week and often on the weekends. Slow to advancement...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're doing A-Ok...

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Low initial pay, but job security

Senior Programmer (Former Employee)

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsJob security. Eventually bonus and stock options add up.. but you'll never be driving a Lexus.

ConsLow initial salary, a lot of grunt work.

Depends what you're looking for

Applications Specialist (Former Employee)
Norwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros-It's a good place to start out and get your feet wet in a corporate setting. There are many young professionals right out of college and the atmosphere is pretty low-key in many groups.

-They're loyal to their employees as long as you don't give them a hard time. Stick with them, do things their way, and you'll probably be taken care of.

-Medical/dental coverage is outstanding. They pay 90 percent.

-Annual bonus is a great add-on to your salary. I don't remember the exact formula but it's something like 4 percent of your earnings for the last five years. In other words, it adds up, especially if you've been there for a while.

-This is a good field to get into. Everything in the medical world is trending toward the electronic, so it's one of the few areas where it seems like there will be growth and steady work.

Cons-Like everyone has said, the starting salaries are rough. Don't get me wrong, I made enough to live on but you're not going to get rich here. Starting out, first job? Fine, you're not supposed to have it made yet. But if you're living in Boston or the suburbs, you've got to stay here a long time, through a bunch of annual raises and bonuses, before you'll have some breathing room.

-All their locations are outside the 128 belt, so if you're looking to ride the T in every day and hit up downtown afterward this isn't the place for you.

-Their proprietary software is clunky and inefficient, and their insistence on using it seems to be based on stubbornness rather than any coherent philosophy.

-A decentralized approach taken to extremes. It's nice that they allow lots of flexibility and let each group and department decide what works for them. But it wouldn't hurt to set a few more top-down ground rules that would apply to everyone. It's very possible that your group will have casual dress days, get a 30-minute work-free lunch in the caf, and leave on time every day... while your buddy the next group over wears a tie every day, is "encouraged" to take working lunches at his desk, and stays until 6 or 7 regularly. There are always rumblings about this, and some of the complaining is justified.

-Lots of turnover at the bottom of the food chain, not enough at the top. People in their first year or two are coming and going all the time. People who have been there forever, have been there forever and aren't going away anytime soon. The administration will talk about the "average" turnover rate, but they basically fudge the numbers by not counting anyone who leaves in their first year (or maybe it's two). Upper management tends to be stale and you get a lot of people who aren't doing much work, but will hang around for the rest of their career. It's hard to get canned unless you do something egregious, and it can be aggravating when there's not a lot of pay separation between someone who's going through the motions and someone who's been going all out for years. Additionally, a lot of people who are not management material end up with senior/supervisory titles by default just because they've stuck around for so long.

-There is a cult-like vibe around the company that is always just below the surface. Employees are told constantly what a great place to work it is and how lucky they are to have such great management. Company founders and bigwigs are venerated. There is a strong resistance to new ideas or anything coming from outside the company. If you even voice the thought of leaving you may be walked out. Upper management takes everything very personally, like it's unfathomable that any job, way of doing things, or opportunity could possibly surpass what's available at MT. There are a lot of people who have totally bought into the company as a way of life and it's creepy (the ones who are sitting at lunch in February fantasizing about what might be new at the company picnic this summer).

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up. This is not a bad place to work but it's not the alpha and omega of medical IT, and life outside the walls isn't as nasty, brutish, and short as upper management would have us believe.

Two Words, Bad Company

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only good with this company is the health insurance as well as the cafeteria. The kitchen staff are exceptional guys.

ConsAfter the first two months, they throw you under the bus, practically setting you up to fail. The turnover rate is quite incredible. At least 5 people in the company leave each month, which doesn't look good in a potential applicant's eyes. They don't get fire, they quit. Meditech doesn't want to pay for unemployment, so they do everything they can to get the current employees to quit, therefore not being eligible for unemployment.

By working here for over a year, I've seen many ways in how they try to get employees to quit:

- Low salary
  - No raise (said they can't afford raises, meanwhile, they can afford a multi-million dollar picnic)
  - Set you up to fail, big time
  - Supervisors/managers don't provide much help (if you ask a question, they look at you like you're an idiot)

I heard this exact story from many others before I started, and now I completely understand what they were saying. Do yourself a favor, if you're not working and currently receiving unemployment, don't throw it away by working for this disgraceful company. If you work at Meditech, you'll have to deal with the younger, twenty year old "children" that still believe they're in college. Meditech should think about hiring more mature staff and not idiots that just came out of a frat house. Also Meditech should think about upgrading their system and appliances (phones, printers, etc.) because they are a bit on the older side. I can't tell you how many times the system crashed on me or how often the internet connection goes down. It's quite embarrassing, getting a call from a customer asking for help and me having to say "Oh I apologize, but I can't help right now as our internet connection is down." You think the customer feels comfortable knowing they just purchased a very expensive piece of software and hear the Meditech Support Specialist saying we can't help because they can't maintain their internet connection? I sure don't think they'd feel comfortable. I for one, would want to give the software back, get refunded and use something else.

So please don't apply for a job here because one year later, you may be saying the exact same thing I'm saying.

Advice to Senior ManagementI strongly recommend that upper management start to see the light and hire much more experienced supervisors to lead the way for the specialists. This whole business of promoting from within is good, but also very bad. Bad in the sense of these employees having no idea how to supervise. Just because they know the software, doesn't mean they know how to supervise. Two completely different things. Also, I think you should think about nixing the company picnic and give us some raises. I think we, the specialists are the most deserving of raises because we are the ones interacting with the customers, taking the blame for other employees mistakes, and because we work incredibly hard and feel that we have nothing to show for it. Give us what we want and we'll work even harder.

Low initial pay, No real performance reviews, very little movement up their ladder

Norwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Job Security (for now) Hospital IT field has many more HIS in play.
- Opens door for work within hospitals

Cons- Supervisors aren't required to know their APPLICATION/Modules, making it hard for them to help their staff.

- They do not fire the people that hold groups down, and those same people get the same raises

- Starting Pay

- Don't rehire ex-workers that leave on good terms. Those workers know the systems.

- Training can take 1 year, but should take much less.

- Disproportion of work among teams, groups, modules.

Advice to Senior ManagementI gave a two week notice, and on that very same day they literally told me to write a letter of resignation, and then they proceeded to walk me out the door. This is after 3 years of work and not 1 bad performance review. That is no way to treat someone who put in time and effort to help customers.

Management, stop using the motto "At least you have a Job" . Many occasions suggestions to better groups were shot down because they did not fit the mold of Meditech's old ways, and I would hear from managers and supervisors "At least you have a Job".

Meditech is consistently losing its best employees to other companies or hospitals. They should focus on wow to get those employees back or why they left, instead of hiring College Grads at low wages with no experience.

A decent place to work

I have been working at Meditech

ProsBenefits/Fringe (the health insurance is very good)
Job Security
The company's annual picnic as well as annual bonus

ConsSalary
Career/Growth potential
Upper management to stay more connected with their staffs, work to make more rational decisions in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive/Upper Management needs to better manage their staff. For example, client services is having serious staffing/turnover issues and customer service is suffering greatly as a result. Either upper management needs to be made aware of these issues, or (if aware), they need to better address these situations.

Meditech is great place to work, but does not pay well.

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

ProsEnvironment, laid back attitude, free coffee, very easy going place to start a career, and a great place to begin acquiring knowledge regarding medical software.

ConsThe pay is awful and the turn over rate is high. There is no room to progress and move up in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of employees when it comes to finances.

Everyone comes on board as entry level and you are treated as an entry level employee.

Applications Specialist (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

ProsIt is a good way to start in the Healthcare industry. They mainly hire straight out of college so no experience is expected. It is a good place to start over if you don't mind entry level. They are a very diverse company so all ages, races and nationalities would be comfortable.

ConsYou have to be there 3 years before you are able to work from home one day a week. The office environment is very quiet, employees use Google chat to communicate rather than speak to each other. The training process is good but it is impossible to learn it all quickly. You are expected to research the answers on your own which involves a lot of reading on the computer.

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meditech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meditech CEO Howard Messing. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by Meditech employees.