Meditech

Meditech Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing

Howard Messing

Pros:
  • "Work Life Balance- You will work 9-530 and working late does not happen often"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low starting salary (36-37k for my position)"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company)"
    in 11 reviews

Relax environment
    Low Stress

ConsLow salary
    Slow growth
    Must start at the bottom of the latter and grow step by step

Solid company that's never had lay-offs.

ProsMEDITECH is a fiscally responsible employer.

ConsPay is slightly lower than the industry average

Mostly nice coworkers, yet unqualified management and outdated values/culture and lack of any future direction.

Applications Specialist (Former Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsYoung and vibrant coworkers; free sodas; year end bonus; low health insurance premium; Christmas gift

ConsVERY low salary for this area; inflexibility; mundane nature of the majority of the work; promotions based off of "loyalty" and bureaucracy; no compensation or recognition for advanced schooling or additional knowledge/skills learned during tenure (eg., I earned a Masters degree while working their, and continued to be compensated as much as those with high school diplomas)

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile a lot of the perks are nice, they are evenly distributed to all employees, leaving no real incentive to put in extra time or effort, as you will not be rewarded for it. I would pay attention to recruiting and retaining superior employees, and compensating them appropriately early, rather than hoping that they stay around long enough to receive adequate compensation. Turnover here is ridiculous, and I feel like it all starts with providing employees with an appropriate salary from the outset, and allowing greater flexibility. This would likely attract and keep better employees here for the long term.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good benefits, good work life balance (depending on group), but mediocre pay. Beware of some terrible managers.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Westwood, MA

ProsMEDITECH was a great place to work coming out of college. They provide training for their entry level application support roles, and for the most part, colleagues and management are supportive of your growth.

ConsLots of office politics here. There are some absolutely abysmal managers in this company. The type of managers that make Bill Lumbergh look like a genius. I worked for one manager in particular that not only destroyed the group's morale with his constant micromanagement, blame, and unrealistic expectations, but also instilled this paranoid, neurotic sense of leadership in his underlings. It got so bad that I left the company and many of my colleagues are looking or have looked elsewhere. Now that being said, my prior manager was the exact opposite. Consummate professional, approachable, friendly, and knew how to lead and motivate a team of people. Bottom line: be careful who you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE put your managers through some rigorous screening/training process! It's clear that while a lot of managers at MEDITECH are very good, others are downright terrible. The thing is, some of the higher-ups KNOW this, and nothing substantial seems to be done about it.

Meditech provided me with an exceptional entry level job

Westwood, MA

ProsWork Life Balance- You will work 9-530 and working late does not happen often
    Benefits- Having unlimited sick time, and vacation time is a huge asset of Meditech
    Annual Bonus
    Job Security

ConsPay
    Training- need to learn alot on your own

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a more rigorous training (4-6 months non stop) to help learn all different types of scenarios.

People are horrible.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNo pros at all at this place.

Cons90% of the people who work at Meditech are young, stupid, careless and THIEVES! There is absolutely no way that I would recommend anyone go work there if they have any common sense. The people who are supposed to be setting examples are the worst! No respect for the cafeteria staff, think they can steal what they want and threaten you if you say you are going to report on them. Absolutely despicable people!

good for an entry level. Get your feet wet for a couple years and then scram

Framingham, MA

ProsGood benefits. Good work environment.

ConsNo real career growth. Pay is below average and does not increase quickly enough. Everyone starts out entry level. They should hire people with experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher starting salary and hire people with experience. They pretty much go hand in hand.

Proprietary software language should have better documentation

ProsGreat working atmosphere, cheap cafeteria, pleasant employees, most responsibilities are checklist oriented, easy to find additional odds and ends to perform if bored with day to day tasks. No fear of lay offs.

ConsHigh stress days are inevitable.
    In-House Documentation isn't all that good. As a company dealing with proprietary software, searching outside of the company for answers isn't really an option. This leads to a lot of frustration and time wasted re-inventing the wheel.
    Pay could be better, as evident by the high turn around rate. This leads to additional issues with knowledgeable staff lacking and decreased morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the open atmosphere in the work environment; it goes along way.
    Compensate staff more competitively with what other companies in the industry offer. Currently, being promoted to a senior-position offers no additional raise. This can be changed to keep employee salary low during training and provide a bump once management decides an employee is more desirable to keep.

I'm young and I'm underpaid...

Applications Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsAll locations are right off the highway. Free coffee. Decent cafeteria food. 90% paid health/dental. Tuition reimbursement even for courses that have nothing to do with your job. That's about it.

ConsBad management- promoting from within sounds great until you realize it means they promote people who know the software, not how to manage people. They also often get lazy once promoted, at least the younger ones. Supervisors seem to forget that the stupid low cubicles mean that their staff can see everything they're doing, including browsing the internet all day. Oh, and there no HR, so if you want to complain about your supervisor it has to be to your manager, and if they love all the supervisors under them...well, good luck with that.

Low pay- the pay is laughable, and don't let the alleged "range" they give in the interviews fool you- there's a set amount and you're going to get it, whether you're straight out of college or have years of experience in the workforce. The higher ups seem to think that the benefits make the low pay okay- like having health & dental insurance is unheard of. Specialists are paid what seems like an okay amount until you realize what the rest of the industry makes. Programmers are revoltingly underpaid, even those in development, and the CEO and VPs have flat out asked their young development programmers "what can we do to keep you ASIDE from paying you more" when they pay $20-40k less per year than is reasonable- especially for how busy development is. They will always find reasons not to give appropriate raises, citing slow sales, and yet the CEO still takes home $800,000+ in a bonus every year and they keep buying more buildings...

Understaffed- no matter how fast they hire, they can't keep up with the demand. No matter if you're a programmer or a specialist, there's too much work. Meditech hires for the business they HAVE, not the business they WANT, so they continue to get more sites without hiring enough to keep people from drowning in their work. 9-5:30 with half an hour for lunch- that's funny. Not only do many people work through lunch, but they also have to work overtime (unpaid, of course,) because even with every day being a full 8.5 hours, there just isn't enough time to get it all done.

Culture- it's college all over again. Gossip is the preferred social currency. Everyone is young so drinking is the fun thing to go do for group bonding time. Their official corporate culture has recently taken a really annoying tilt towards "wellness", and they're constantly pushing their employees to start lunchtime walking and running clubs and the like, which just sounds great until you remember how for most people the choice is to work through lunch or to get further behind on tasks.

Cubicles- they're low. No privacy, no ability to focus if you're early distracted by conversations. I often have to work in headphones.

No 401k- they have profit sharing, and to be blunt, I doubt it's as valuable as an actual retirement plan. Plus you conveniently aren't fully vested until after most people leave, so if you resign after a couple of years you're not taking much home with you.

Low end computers- it's a technology company and they give people Compaqs. Until I stated I didn't even know they still MADE Compaqs. No matter what make you get, it's probably going to have something wrong with it. They're stingy with monitor upgrades and splitters for two monitors as well.

The company has also begun to focus too much on rolling out big new software and not enough on making it stable. Many of the current releases are buggy- which goes back to development being overworked. It's hard to blame them when there are simply not enough people to code all the requests that come in.

I'm sure I've missed some specifics, but I think that what Meditech boils down to is that it's a great place to work long-term, especially for people with kids because of the flexibility you're afforded with the ability to work part time or after hours and the size of the bonus once you've been there for a while. But your experience will depend greatly on your supervisor and manager, and if they're terrible at their job- either lazy or outright mean, I've heard of both- you'll hate going in to work every day. If you can eventually get in with a good team of coworkers and supervisors/managers and you can hold out for that bonus- which can end up making a good $10k difference in your yearly salary after you've been there for five years- that's great. But most Meditechers can't make it past the first couple of years, either because they're actively looking elsewhere due to their dissatisfaction or because a recruiter snaps them up with a superior salary- not hard to find in this field. Meditech is an okay stepping stone, but they're only a lifetime career if you're extremely patient and willing to wait years for a payout...and not ambitious at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your supervisors better management training. GET AN HR DEPARTMENT SO PEOPLE CAN ACTUALLY REPORT BAD MANAGEMENT. Pay people what they're worth. Stop being so stingy.

If you're not entry level then keep it moving

Proshealth benefits, cheap cafeteria food, every holiday off

Constoo much dead weight. too many "settled" people who do the bare minimum. no human resources dept

Advice to Senior Managementget a real hr dept so that employees don't feel intimidated when they have an internal issue, get a proper policy manual that explains the rules of the company instead of letting each manager make their own rules. get rid of the dead weight and pay the people that want to work hard more money

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meditech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meditech CEO Howard Messing. All 151 reviews posted anonymously by Meditech employees.