Meditech

Meditech Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing

Howard Messing

Pros:
  • "Work Life Balance- You will work 9-530 and working late does not happen often"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low starting salary (36-37k for my position)"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company)"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

application specialist in client services

Prosbenefits, job security, company picnic

Conspolitics, salary, belief that anyone wanting to work elsewhere is wrong

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of employees with better day to day salary

Good starter company

ProsGood bennies and friendly people.

ConsSalaries are not competitive and therefore there is high turnover in some areas.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive adequate raises to those who deserve it.

Not just a starter company.

Development Specialist (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsI used the title "not just a started company" to make the point that Meditech is so much more. In an age where job hopping seems to be the only way to advance your career, Meditech is a diamond in the rough. There are very few companies today that have any type of structure that would allow an individual to build a lifelong career with advancement of their choice (management, senior developers, sales, etc.) But that's that not only reason Meditech is a great place to work.....

1. Great people from entry level to senior management!
    2. Great benefits - I pay under $125 for BCBS Family Health and Dental - unheard of! Awesome yearly bonus. Stock options that continue to pay impressive dividends even during economic crisis.
    3. Amazing work environments - You don't appreciate a large, bright workstation with a chair that supports your back until you don't have it. It's like running water, you always need it but don't always appreciate it.
    4. JOB SECURITY! Let me say it again JOB SECURITY! Meditech has a reputation for not taking resignations well. That's because they would never just up and fire an employee. If someone is not performing to the best of their ability Meditech works with that person to find a position that better meets their skill set. If someone is unhappy with their current position they are encouraged and assisted in searching for other opportunities in the company. Don't fire us and we won't fire you is the motto. So of course it does not feel good to upper management when employees leave with no prior mention of needing more or being unhappy. I have been at the company for 20+ years and in my tenure there has never been a layoff. What company can make that claim?
    5. The company really does care about their employees. Without getting too personal or offering examples from others, I can speak from experience when I say that if you have a family emergency, a health issue or any personal hardship, Meditech will go to the limit to support you. When I tell people of my personal experience in this I always get the same response which is there are very few companies that treat their employees with such support and understanding.

ConsThe salaries can start on the low side and it can seem like it takes a while to get up to a competitive paycheck. That being said, hard work is rewarded with big jumps in salary in the early years. Taking into consideration that Meditech hires people with little or no previous related experience this seems like the logical approach. Also people sometimes only look at the paycheck in terms of salary. All factors need to be considered. The low cost healthcare puts more dollars in your pocket each month. Over time bonus and dividends yield significant yearly and quarterly income. If you add it all up in the end you make a very competitive salary at a company that cares about their employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's OK

Software Developer (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits are excellent, they pick up 90% of medical and dental.
    They are pretty flexible you can star work anywhere from 7 am to 11 am. after 3 years you can work from home 1 day a week, if it snows hard they send you home for your safesty.
    Free parking, free soda, coffee and tea Their Cafeteria is pretty good and lunch is about $4.50.
    The best ever summer picnic with lobster, ribs make your own ice cream, gifts, and dozens of rides for the children. A bonus that is usually around 4% to 5% of your last 5 years of salary. The people are overall pretty nice.

ConsTraining is plentiful albeit very mediocre to horrible, the expertise is there the skills are not. It seems like they get the recipe to teach from a manual in a cracker jack box. Many times the training classes they make you take have nothing to do with your "real" job, but they want you to assist i so they can show it off to the regulators and institutions they cater to how studious their workforce is.
    Their software is way to complicated, and yes it does anything you would dream of in the medical setting but the learning curve is huge. It takes an average of 18 month to become comfortable with an application. And the pressure to learn the application is tremendous.
    They always low ball their completion estimates, and hence they are always behind the ball trying to complete the software, which in turn is delivered without being properly tested and validated. Since all employees are "Contractors" there are no OT hours and they are quick to ask you to stay extra hours to finish a given project, and harsh when you need some time off, its the law of the funnel a lot for me a little for you.
    They put emphasis that they have never laid anyone off in 40 years, and although technicality correct they try to make you quit if you do not fit their profile. I have been trying to get in a new group for 3 months and they are telling me that if I do not find a fit I should quit (not with those exact words, but that is what they convey when they speck with you)
    Management is all from within the Co., good if you are always doing the same old, bad if you are trying to think outside the box. Supervisors are a dime a dozen, most have no clue what management really means and end up just micromanaging their employees.
    They say that they are below average in employee turnover, and I do not know if this is true, but to me it seem extremely high especially coming from a Hospital background. My supervisor confessed to me that he has been here 13 years and he tells me that his hiring group was composed of 38 individuals, of which only 1 is left working in the company!
    Cubicles have no walls therefore there is 0 privacy, so making a phone call to your Doctor, insurance company, wife, etc is very uncomfortable, if you are speaking with a client you have to shush the people around you while also bugging anyone trying to concentrate on their work.
    The hardware they provide you with (except the laptops) is wholly inadequate to the task at hand. most of these boxes are running Winxp and Pentium 4 with 2.4 Ghz procesors and 1 gig of memory (if you are lucky), they started upgrading to mini acers with telephone processors (atom). And 15" monitors!!!
    They do not take criticism well, and if you dare question the Meditech "culture" they give you a dressing down and let you know in no uncertain terms that "You either tow the line, or leave"

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the cons.

Get in, learn as much as you can, and get out.

Senior Applications Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsVery detailed and thorough training
    Very young young and friendly
    Good benefits

ConsPay starts low and stays low.
    Too many mangers and vice presidents
    Pay starts low and stays low. (Its worth mentioning twice)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating specialists with many years of experience like they are cogs who move widgets. The job is almost all knowledge and experience.

Good place to start a career.

Applications Specialist (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsGood experience for recent graduates.
    Good benefits and time off policies.
    Supervisors and management are good about recognizing good work.
    Promote 100% from within company.

ConsLow starting salary.
    Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company).
    If you're not climbing the ladder, there will be little opportunity for professional growth or acquiring new skills after the first year or 2.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for younger employees to develop professionally.

Underpaid

Westwood, MA

ProsThe company offers excellent job security and a fantastic work life balance.

ConsIndividuals have very little control over their own careers and as a result, for those with serious ambition and drive, their careers move MUCH slower than they would like. To compound the issue, Meditech does not pay a competitive salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay tenured employees a salary that is competitive with what the rest of the industry would pay. There are too many sacrifices required in terms of lost wages and career opportunities to keep the people you should want to keep.

Great place to start your career in the Healthcare Field

Canton, MA

Pros-The benefits
    -Meditech is willing to teach you from the ground up and the learning atmosphere is very relazed - and catered to teaching you. There is no pressure or tests or anything, just an entire group of people that really wants you to succeed. The overall environment is very relaxed, casual and young. And the management is always willing to help you to achieve your long term career goals, as long as they are at meditech...

ConsThe salary - it is not competitive at all with other similar companies.
    The company places a stigma on anyone that tries to advance their career by leaving (and receiving a better company). When quitting, the employee is asked to leave that day (unless they have a customer training the next week). And if they are asked to stay, the staff makes you feel bad for leaving to advance your career. Almost no one has ever been hired back to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to give a modest salary in the initial year after someone is hired. But once someone has proven their loyalty and learned their application, give them an initial raise (after their first year) that makes their salary comparable to other HCIS companies - the turnover would greatly decrease if people felt as though they were getting compensated for their time - especially with 50-75% travel.

Great First Job - Lots of Learning in a Booming Industry

Boston, MA

Pros>Great work/life balance
    >Lots of opportunity to take classes geared at growing your knowledge of the MT Product and your own personal growth
    >Plenty of opportunities to take on projects somewhat early
    >The people working at MEDITECH are great

Cons>The pay is low to start off, and while it does grow each year the growth is small and so you will need to be patient
    >The company has become mid-sized and so it is a bit awkward in that it does not offer the multitude of lateral options for movement that a big company has and it also does not feel as "familiar" as a small company might.
    >Promotion and movement in the company can take some time, depending on the group you join it can also feel as though there is resistance to it

Advice to Senior Management>Focus more energy into being sure that lower management is mature and professional in their dealings with new hires. Because MEDITECH is smaller, and because it only promotes from within, often times employees that excel in their position will be rewarded with a promotion to a management position that they are not a fit for. This causes not only an issue for this person who wil struggle with the new responsibility, but also for the new hires who are more keen to back out quickly if they do not like what they see.

Great company to work for

Development Specialist (Current Employee)
    Fall River, MA

ProsDepending on your position they are very flexible, job security (no layoffs throughout the recession), benefits get better as you stay 2,3,4,5 years, annual bonus usually 3-4% of W2, christmas gift of turkey, ham, veggie lasagna, and a huge summer picnic!

ConsLow starting salary, but the perks outweigh the con's. The longer you stay here, the better the perks get. They definitely make it sweeter for the long term employee's.

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meditech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meditech CEO Howard Messing. All 151 reviews posted anonymously by Meditech employees.