Meditech

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsGreat benefits, flexibility, work/life balance, ability to change roles

Conssalary get better longer you're there along with profit sharing and bonus

Lack of leadership and vision is disappointing but the summer picnic is awesome.

Sales (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsJob security is good but also leads to a lot of dead beats hanging on too long. Their buildings and grounds are very nice. Healthcare plan is good.

ConsLack of project management, accountability are major issues. They are more than happy to let top performers across the organization leave and plug the gap with mediocre talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in some fresh blood into your C level and director positions.

An excellent foundation for a career if you can handle stress

Senior Applications Specialist (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsMeditech hires college graduates with no experience in computers and gives them the foundation to enter the HIS field.

Raises are generally quite good (first year review I got an extra $2,400 / year, second year I received an additional $4,800 / year).

Near ironclad job security.

If you decide you want to change career paths once you've been there awhile, Meditech will oblige and will start training you in something else that you have no experience/education in. They really do offer you the ability to start on just about any career path (that they have a use for).

Excellent health benefits.

ConsMeditech hires out of college and effectively trains in a trial by fire. It's incredibly stressful, particularly for people who are coming right out of college.

The starting pay isn't great... however, as I reminded people when I worked there, that starting salary was based on them hiring you to work on computers when all you had was a college degree in a non-technical major... you got what you could negotiate for.

Ironclad job security means there are a number of employees who did just enough not to get fired for long enough to hit the 'tenure' mark and then their effort dropped.

No 401k, company will claim that they have profit sharing which is their retirement solution instead of 401k.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up the training, a lot of the stress of job stems from having little information on hand about the software but being expected to act the "expert" for customers.

Formalize documentation of code changes are hold Development to fulfilling that format

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pay is sub par for the market, job stability is impressive.

Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsThe profit sharing and stock options are impressive if you put 30 years into the company. I've never felt fear of layoffs or termination. Management will listen to your input and try to move you into a position that best suits you.

ConsPay is very low... Raises are almost nonexistent. Hours are flexible as long as you want to work 9-530. Promotions are also poor, they are promotions of responsibility and often not worth it. Being a "Senior Specialist" offers no more cash or benefits for the title. The positions are made up titles to compensate for zero vertical movement available in the company. All moves for those coming in unless some one dies or quits are horizontal movements.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a disconnect between upper management and the troops on the front line. Middle managers are extremely hit or miss and can make or break your experience at the company. Most managers in my 7 year tenure are just above useless. They get in the way more often than not and love creating process/red tape.

Great career starter, no long term growth.

Applications Specialist (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsOverall good company culture and a great entry level job.

Meditech teaches new college graduates how to operate in the professional world.

Good training program and a great way to get introduced to Healthcare IT industry.

You don't bring work home with you.

ConsTerrible compensation plan.

No career growth potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould introduce incentive plans for high achievers, this would keep some of the little talent that stays at Meditech.

A Nice Place to Visit but You Don't Want to Live There

Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

Pros- They're open to all majors. I was a linguistics major. The manager who interviewed me had been a geography major. One of the best programmers in my group was a Philosophy major. If you're a college student looking for a first job in technology, whatever your major may be is fine with Meditech where other companies might not give you a thought.

- For programmer positions the interview includes a test that teaches you some of the language but largely looks at your logic/analytical skills. Personally I think that's really the best method.

- Like everyone else says, they have good benefits. 90%of health/dental paid. For an entire family plan with spouse + children I was paying about $250/mo. Sweet deal.

- They take really good care of their grounds/buildings. I think it's vastly underappreciated. It's nice to take a stroll and enjoy walkways around Lowderbrook. Have lunch in the beautiful atrium in Canton. In the winter, walkways and parking lots kept impeccably well plowed/shoveled/sanded. If there were any problems with my cube/area, put in a ticket and quickly taken care of. The operations staff are phenomenal.

- The annual bonus gets quite nice after a few years. It's a percentage of past 5 years pay so it keeps getting better each year.

- The company picnic is awesome. Only thing I really miss. It's mostly done by volunteers. I would highly recommend you volunteer. It's a lot of fun for the kids and you get free Meditech swag in thanks. :)

- As others have said, generally good work/life balance. They tend to be very family friendly in general.

- For Other Mommies: Really nice mothers rooms. door lock, very nice cushy chair, lots of magazines, has its own mini fridge for milk so you're not stuck putting milk in the communal kitchen fridge.

Cons- Like everyone else has said, salary way below industry and it never catches up. Raises are in $1200 increments determined at annual review. So after your review you might get a raise of $0/$1200/$2400/$3600 or rarely $4800. I honestly think MT expects everyone to buy stock. The long-termers who were doing well that I talked to, that's how they did it. It often outpaced their salary. Or they hit cap on the profit sharing plan.

- The annual bonus does not make up for the low salary. Some people try to claim that. Leaving Meditech got me an immediate 33% raise even when I included the bonus into my MT pay.

- Raises should be better tied to performance. Most people expect their raise to be based on their performance and group budget/company success. That's it. At Meditech the other salaries in your group are also taken into account. This was more of a problem for the long-termers like 10+ years when the rest of the group was newer. They said it didn't matter how hard they worked or well they did, they'd still get a $0 or at most $1200 because they already outpaced the group. There's a surefire way to kill senior employee motivation.

- Getting a promotion doesn't necessarily get you a raise either. It merely raises your theoretical pay cap (they don't have hard caps last I checked). It can be raised but doesn't have to be. So oftentimes being promoted means taking on more responsibility now but not seeing any benefit until your next review comes around.

- On that note, advancement potential for those of a technical mind but not interested in management is limited. You've got Programmer > Senior Programmer > Computer Scientist. That's it. Computer Scientist appointments are few and kind of a big deal so you see quite a few folk languishing at Senior Programmer. If management is your kind of thing, there's more options available to you. But for geeks who want to grow in skill rather than clout it's very narrow.

- Because the company only hires entry level and promotes from within, leadership promotion seems more like Survivor or attrition warfare than who would make a good supervisor or manager. In areas of high turnover, the one who lasts the longest is usually the one tapped. Highly motivated people who want to be managers/leaders usually leave before they get to that point.

- Pay/promotion aside, let's talk about other motivating factors. Appreciation/praise? Largely depends on your supervisor. Sometimes customers will appreciate what you do but not often. Freedom/Autonomy? Again, largely depends on your supervisor. Mine was fantastic but some micromanage hard. Learning opportunities/skill growth? The main reason why the reviews here recommend this only as a starter job. You will learn a great deal in your first years here but after a certain point it will stop. That's the point I would recommend trying to transfer to learn new/different skills. In the same position, once you've learned what you need to do the job proficiently there's almost no encouragement to go beyond.

- As implied by the last point, your supervisor can make your Meditech experience awesome or awful. Given the tenure/outlast modality, I unfortunately saw a lot of the latter. This was a killer for group morale, hampered or outright discouraged employees' development, would cause more turnover and oftentimes it was difficult to transfer out from under such supervisors. Which brings me to my last point...

- They must be in a state of denial over their internal mobility if they think it's great. Their transfer policies are already longer than my huge entry here but there's no oversight of those policies either. I've seen what look like vengeful sups block transfers of those under them. Those people wound up leaving. None of my cases were that bad but it did take me 2 years to get my first transfer. Trying for a 2nd transfer 7 years in, it was assigned almost a year out (well past a policy that says should be in 90 days) which is when I finally threw in the towel.

Advice to Senior Management1) Be willing to hire into sup/manager roles. That way you can get people who are good at management into those positions rather than whoever hasn't quit yet. I know you're concerned you want supervisors/managers to understand what the people under them do, but that's what training is for. It's easier to teach technical skills than it is to teach leadership skills. Have you ever noticed your training for new supervisors focuses on trying to teach leadership? That should tell you something about your promotion practices.

2) Shift your focus to how you can gain and maintain loyalty rather than assuming it as a given. There's an insidious mindset of "Anyone who wouldn't have us is someone we wouldn't want anyway." Almost like shielding your ego at a company level rather than asking what happened. This mindset creeps it's way into your actions like not having real exit interviews, not rehiring staff who have left, having a difficult transfer process that can easily be shut down by a few people, not having real career/skill development for employees ("Working the Generation Gap" don't count). These kinds of actions come across as hubris and taking your staff for granted. I'm not the only one to get that vibe. I think someone else on Glassdoor put it as "Meditech acts like they're the last coke in the desert." Yes you're a successful company but how much better would you be if you retained your top talent and improved knowledge and motivation across the board? Put your employees first and they will in turn put you first.

3) Realize that the compensation model that has worked for the long-termers will not work for the new blood. The long-termers have a good deal of stock and make most their money on that or having capped their profit share so the salary is less important. They happened to get in while you were a young company with a great deal of growth. You are a mature company now and will not grow like that again. So for newer/younger employees the stock will not compensate for the depressed salary. Newer employees the compensation model will need to focus on salary and bonus.

4) I can appreciate the difficulty in trying to balance the satisfaction of long-termers vs newer employees. The long-termers feeling like they will not see a reward no matter how hard they work. The newer employees feeling like the working poor on salaries that make it difficult to pay ever-larger student loans and survive. Have you ever considered starting a loan assistance program? Student loans are the biggest financial woe I hear (and tuition reimbursement doesn't help there). Some employers are already using LRAPs to get and retain employees. For the long-termers, I realize raises aren't always possible (how much is a senior programmer really worth?) Have you ever considered service awards to recognize and reward their loyalty and longevity? The company I work for now does that and while they may be things like nice watches or jewelry instead of money, the employees seem to really enjoy them and keep them with pride.

5) Development Specific: Quality guys, quality! Stop rushing to get things out the door. If it needs more testing, so be it. That's how you keep getting so many bugs. And stop obsessing over getting the bug counts down; you're only forcing people to go for low hanging fruit. They can bang out 5 easy DTSs in a day to get your bug counts down. Or they can spend all day working on that one massive issue. Guess which one your customers want? Dimes to donuts, the massive issue. Focus on bug impact over raw bug numbers, and focus on testing and quality over deadlines. And while I'm wishful thinking, have your dev groups by NPR/M-AT instead of 5.x and 6.x. There is no reason to have separate 5.x/6.x groups for things like ABS, GENFINS, EMPFINS, or LAB. You've only split your resources and made more confusion when those areas of 5.x and 6.x run into the same issues all being NPR-based.

Good for the experience, good for no more than a few years

Applications Specialist (Former Employee)
    Framingham, MA

Pros- The benefits are good. If you're older, I hear the healthcare benefits are top-notch. If you're a young guy like me, this won't really help you.
    - There is a good work/life balance. Although you have set hours, bosses are easy going about leaving early or coming in late on days you need to.
    - If you are not the breadwinner in your family, this is a good place to work and bring in a little extra money for the family.
    - My group was very laid back but we got work done too. I would consider it a "fun" place to work if you have the right group.
    - Consistent raises every year.
    - Good experience to get a job elsewhere. I took a 20k increase in pay at my next job with the MEDITECH experience I took away.

Cons- Low starting salary (36-37k for my position). The raises are consistent, but 3 years in, you're still at an entry level salary in the low 40s.
    - High turnover, lots of people are in and out within 2.5 years.
    - Not a lot of career growth. There is no human resources, and so you will need to work your boss's boss if you want to move up to what amounts to a cosmetic improvement. There is not a lot of growth up the ladder as well. For the most part, supervisors have been there at a minimum 5 or 6 years. For the most part, managers are about 10-15 years. This requires you to put a lot of time into the company at the expense of learning new skills and making more money.
    - Supervisors and Managers do not get a pay increase for the job, just an increase in their pay cap.
    - It is the company culture to put in a lot of time and be all-for the company. A lot of people seem complacent with their job because the company fosters those who 'stick it out'. They are just collecting the paycheck and the bonus that they rant about. They don't seem to realize that tons of other companies out there offer an equal or better bonus.
    - I found the company to be a bit unforgiving. When I left the company after three and a half years, I was walked out the day I put in my two weeks notice, without a thank you for your time and hard work. I guess they had a bad breakup in the past at some point and never quite got over it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster growth for those who have your entry-level positions. The morale was awful in my group.

MEDITECH provides a good, stable, family-friendly workplace.

Computer Scientist (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsThe people at any employer can make or break your experience. As with any large employer, MEDITECH has its share of good and not-so-good, but the company is generally willing to work with people to find a good job fit once you're in.

ConsHistorically, MEDITECH has not paid particularly competitive salaries, and with its proprietary technology, it has felt that it didn't need to. This is starting to turn around, but more in the salaries for new hires that for long term employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's long past time to move away from the proprietary technologies and embrace well-established commercial technologies. The rest of the world has moved beyond the 1960's.

Best place to work for 2013 is not. If you need a job, this is the place. A job is better than no job.

Development Specialist (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsFlexible schedule (Development only), food in cafeteria is cheap, free soda, good office environment, free coffee, can use a small gym if you have the time, excellent health care coverage, $4,000 tuition reimbursement per year, a year end bonus but the tax rate is 35%, a $3,500 bonus is available if you recommend someone to work at Meditech which also gets taxed at a high rate so after taxes you get $1,225. You also get 13 paid holidays, the first 2 years of employment you accrue 6.67 hours per month for vacation and on your third year you start accruing 10 hours per month. Finally after 3 years of employment, you can petition to work from home 1 day a week.

ConsLow salary, no 401K, poor management (Meditech thinks that because you are a good programer or a good specialist then you must be a good manager/supervisor), there is a profit sharing plan which employees can buy into it but since this is not a public traded company, Meditech decides at what price you can buy/ sell your shares and you can only sell them back to Meditech. Meditech likes to hire people right out of college to mostly work for service, implementation or marketing. These positions pay the least and requires long hours of work and in some cases you have to work or travel to a site on weekends or holidays without any extra compensation. People in service and implementation usually last between 1 to 3 years and most marketing personnel usually 4 to 5 years. If you are a new employee regardless of the position, you will be required to travel between buildings for training sessions for about 15 months and there is no compensation for the hundreds of miles traveled.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does a lot of micromanagement and employes feel as they are always being watched. Employees would work a lot harder if there was trust. Hire experts not just people right out of college so the company can create innovative products. Increase salaries in every department so employees think twice before leaving. Add the annual bonus to the employees' salary so the tax rate is lower than 35%. A real benefit would be to incorporate that bonus into my salary. Finally reduce the bonus that directors get so it can be more equitable. Bonuses for 2013: Pappalardo $600,000, Polimeno $300,000, Messing $800,000, Manzolillo $400,000, and Lefthes $400,000.

good for an entry level. Get your feet wet for a couple years and then scram

Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
    Framingham, MA

ProsGood benefits. Good work environment.

ConsNo real career growth. Pay is below average and does not increase quickly enough. Everyone starts out entry level. They should hire people with experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher starting salary and hire people with experience. They pretty much go hand in hand.

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meditech reviews and ratings in Framingham, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meditech CEO Howard Messing. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Meditech employees.