Meditech Reviews

Reset
3.1
Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • There is a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero room for growth, starting salary is pitiful, raises are almost non-existent (in 20 reviews)

• Everyone starts out entry level (in 14 reviews)

1. Review

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very friendly

Cons

The starting salary is tough to take...

2. Great place for corporate newcomers - reommended and welcoming environment for everyone

I worked at Meditech full-time

Pros

Meditech is a uniquely-honed workplace: open work environment, endearing group meetings, and expressively friendly colleagues. Notably, Meditech trains every person from scratch. As most companies typically require a couple years experience before directly hiring, this makes it an excellent springboard to garner experience as a new college graduate. Working with Meditech has given me the assurance to travel to hospitals around the country and confidently give presentations on moderately complex medical software. Although initially very critical of presentation skills, supervisors will ultimately give you the freedom to travel alone and work with a wide variety of people. I can confidently say, after my couple years at Meditech, I am much more prepared to enter the medical software and devices market. Bonus: and if you stay with the company for the longhaul, you're almost guaranteed a salary bump every year (I'm pretty sure most people get a raise), and they're highly appreciative and rewarding of longevity.

Cons

The majority of the cons I could potentially list are directly correlated with my own group structure, so I won't dwell on those. Although I was working with a new product, and the team was disfigured and oftentimes mismanaged, this is definitely not the norm. However on the corporate level, there still are a few concerns I can name off the top of my head: The open environment is more distracting than helpful, especially with a chatty group dynamic. Sometimes, at least initially, the freedom to travel alone is daunting; there is a point in between leaving the nest and flying that isn't mediated well enough. In addition, because employees are rewarded for longevity, the management teams have escalated to current positions due to career stagnancy, and only in part (but not necessarily) for hard work. Certain Supervisors and Managers seem to be the socially awkward individuals who didn't want to leave the company and try for something a little more challenging in life, and this is directly reflected in their work ethic: typically saddled in a comfortable mindset, they will dump work on newer folks, completing about 1/2 of their own current workload, and delegating to others (in fact, as a specialist in any department, you will often know just as much or more than the overseers).

Advice to Management

The most important piece of advice I can give management is to get long-term employees back on their feet and diligently working again: more internal performance checking and auditing, as well as a HR Department, will be an advantage with the company's rapid growth rate.

3. Implementation Specialist

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job out of college and great way to learn a new product. You learn presentation skills and how to manage your customers.

Cons

Not much room for career progression. There is more opportunity in leaving than staying with the company.

5. Breeding ground for mediocrity

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, annual bonus, decent office, huge working space, generous time off (4 weeks a year, then 5), they have a picnic each spring. Good starting place for something better.

Cons

I felt like I was being babysat. Management watches your hours like a hawk, calls you when you miss events (like the picnic), nobody gets fired for doing a bad job and management has obviously stopped caring. Company isn't innovative. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Stop babysitting your employees, treat them like adults. Give them new responsibilities to make up for the complete lack of growth.

6. So much potential, but not with current management

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-January cash bonus to all employees is a welcome treat after the holidays.
    -Very generous sick and vacation time, which can be used almost any time you like.
    -90% employer-covered healthcare benefits are superb.
    -Relaxed working atmosphere.
    -Multiple buildings spread around I-95/128 ring are easy to get to.
    -Employees are great to be around.

Cons

-The low salaries are downright offensive to employees and raises based on tenure rather than productivity pushes talented individuals right out the door. Traveling employees are often gone 80% of the time and are only paid around $40k. Similar positions at competitors pay almost double that.
    -Because Meditech only hires entry-level and management is always promoted from within the company, there are no new ideas flowing in and the company has become stagnant. Everyone knows that you don't actually have to succeed to be promoted; all you have to do is hang on longer than everyone else, which has created a slacker culture.
    -Unless you want to stick around for 20 years, there is absolutely no room for growth as a new employee. You may get a title change of "senior" or "analyst," but nothing about your actual job changes.
    -Sales/marketing people are all burned out Application Specialists who know absolutely nothing about selling products. Any wonder why sales numbers are so dismal?

Advice to Management

-PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES MORE!
    -End the only-hire-entry-level method. It's clear it doesn't work.
    -Bring in managers/executives from outside.
    -The "group by group" company management style should be canned. The company has roughly 4,000 people and needs a real HR department.

Software Tester

I have been working at Meditech full-time

Pros

Free coffee and reduced cost lunch.
    Don't need a technical background. Will train you from the ground up.
    Good place if your goal is just to get your feet wet.

Cons

-Less than stellar treatment of women. Male dominated.
    - Opportunities to transfer within company, but only if your current group is willing to let you go.
    - Transfers can take 6 months or more
    - Only now starting to turn to Agile and automated testing. (Industry standards for a decade elsewhere)
    - This role in particular takes on great strain to make deadlines.
    - Meditech is the value option for customers. Which is good. But it means that the staff are the lowest paid in the medical software industry. CEO has been quoted as saying "the salary is what it is. We offer good benefits."

Advice to Management

- If you hold employees back from taking other positions in the company, you will find that high turnover will continue to be an issue.
    - Communication between management and stafff, as well as management and upper management is very poor.
    - There is no hr department, so everything must be "resolved with your management team". Ombudsmen were introduced, but they do not serve in an hr capacity. They merely explain the company standards.
    - While the company advertises raises of 1200, 2400, 3600, or 4800 a year for good work, staff in the software testing role will not see more than 2400. The higher numbers are reserved for supervisors and programming staff.

Career Oriented

Current Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Foxborough, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Foxborough, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Never had a layoff. Extremely dependable job security. Beautiful buildings with in-building cafes for cheap meals. Family friendly, social work environment. Working from home 1-2 days a week after a few years experience. Cash holiday bonus yearly since the companies opening capping at 20k (if you work here for life you hit the cap). Meaningful work! You can go home and rest easy at the end of the day having helped provide better care for hospital staff, so that they can in turn help take better care of patients.

Cons

The starting salary for programmers is below the standard, but there are other perks that they do a bad job illustrating up front (Bonus, on-call money, working from home capabilities, very clear path for growth, flexible hours/shifts/positions - Can transfer roles after two years, no questions asked).

The company itself has microcosms within it that are less desirable than the norm. (I imagine this is like any other company however)

Advice to Management

Recognize indispensable staff before losing them. I've seen too many incredible employees leave because we can't offer them a salary more reasonable to their abilities. Don't be afraid to take a two year specialist supervisor and give them 10k come raise time, or do the same for a programmer showing aptitude in and out of the In-House coding standards. This is how we will maintain relevance, improving our own software through external tools and experience. If we are going to start people out low, it's time to let go of this antiquated raise system and be able to bump people up in a big way when we want them to stay for the long run.

9. Marketing Support

I have been working at Meditech full-time

Pros

Very flexible company, great benefits, great vacation and sick time, overall just a ton of flexibility and everyone is very nice and happy

Cons

Management heavy here, but definitely have the ability to move up

Advice to Management

Provide staff with more opportunities to move up

Project Coordinator

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in North Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in North Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Can move around the company
    Part time for people with children
    Work from home

Cons

Pay could be better
    Many times the wrong people get promoted with the promote from with in mentality.

Advice to Management

Too many micromanagers.

Sales Representative/"Marketing Consultant"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including subsidized cafeterias in most buildings
    Plenty of time off between holidays and vacation (two weeks to start and three weeks after two years)
    Full annual bonus after 5 years, although after two years of falling revenue this was cut by 20% this year

Cons

Many reps who have been ere five to ten years are leaving
    Low base pay for so much travel, with little hope of any sales soon
    More a marketing position then a sales position
    Industry is down, and will be so for another couple of years
    You get partnered with another sales rep who will dictate what you do even though they are not management
    After years as number one in industry, has now been relegated to number two - four depending n what you are ranking
    Main competitors Epic, Cerner and athenahealth do not show any signs of slowing down while MEDITECH continues "plugging" along
    No real vision coming from senior management, most of whom have been around since the 1990's or before

Advice to Management

See my cons, the organization needs to focus more on supporting sales rather then trying to thwart it, everyone needs to realize tat the customer/prospect is king, and act accordingly.

RSS Feed </> Embed