Meditech Reviews

Reset
3.1
Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • There is a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero room for growth, starting salary is pitiful, raises are almost non-existent (in 20 reviews)

• Everyone starts out entry level (in 14 reviews)

1. Implementation

I have been working at Meditech full-time

Pros

Flexible and great coworkers, overall good atmosphere

Cons

The salary is low for the position.

Application Specialist

I have been working at Meditech full-time

Pros

Young work environment, good benefits, flexible.

Cons

No room for growth and salary is lower than most would like. They also say that you have the ability to make more money after committing to the company over time. However with the annual raises, though that may have been true in the past, it is practically impossible now. This is company wide.

Advice to Management

Management always gets frustrated with the turnover, but it's pretty simple that paying people more would make them stay.

3. Good benefits

Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Providence, RI

I have been working at Meditech (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work schedule, enjoyable atmosphere.

Cons

Salary is on the low end for the industry.

Review

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very friendly

Cons

The starting salary is tough to take...

6. Good Company, Low Pay

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Westwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to gain experience in healthcare IT. Training is solid and responsibility is given to you very early on. Work from home one day a week once you have been there two years. Bonus goes up every year, creates incentive to stay longer. Really accommodating to people with kids, really solid work/life balance.

Cons

Pay. It's improving, but still well below industry average (by about 30%). Most stay 2-3 years and leave for a hospital, a competitor (athenahealth recently has been hiring many unhappy MTers), or consulting service. Offices are always going to outside Boston and never in the city (Waltham is as close as they'll get) to save on cost. I commuted from Boston and it definitely wore on me. I was promoted twice in three years (which is a PRO), but did not get a promotion raise (HUGE CON). This baffled me. I worked hard, did the extra work, took on extra responsibility, and was rewarded with a flashy title and nothing else. So compensation is one giant con.

Advice to Management

Start scaling your pay with ranges for different positions. Allow Senior Specialists to get an actual raise, same for Supervisor/Analyst/Project Managers.

7. Good perks, low salary

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MEDITECH offers a lot of perks to its employees, including excellent healthcare coverage, telecommuting options, subsidized cafeterias, and flexibility for families.

Cons

You start with a low salary, and it creeps up slowly. In order to make decent money at MEDITECH you need to have worked here for years, or you need to take your experience elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Change the salary structure and try harder to retain employees. The "we offer many benefits besides salary" is falling on deaf ears, and you're losing valuable talent. It takes significantly more time, resources, and money to train a new employee vs. retaining an already trained and knowledgeable one. In order for a technology company to be truly competitive, it must attract the top minds. Right now, we're attracting people who can't find work elsewhere.

8. Great place for corporate newcomers - reommended and welcoming environment for everyone

I worked at Meditech full-time

Pros

Meditech is a uniquely-honed workplace: open work environment, endearing group meetings, and expressively friendly colleagues. Notably, Meditech trains every person from scratch. As most companies typically require a couple years experience before directly hiring, this makes it an excellent springboard to garner experience as a new college graduate. Working with Meditech has given me the assurance to travel to hospitals around the country and confidently give presentations on moderately complex medical software. Although initially very critical of presentation skills, supervisors will ultimately give you the freedom to travel alone and work with a wide variety of people. I can confidently say, after my couple years at Meditech, I am much more prepared to enter the medical software and devices market. Bonus: and if you stay with the company for the longhaul, you're almost guaranteed a salary bump every year (I'm pretty sure most people get a raise), and they're highly appreciative and rewarding of longevity.

Cons

The majority of the cons I could potentially list are directly correlated with my own group structure, so I won't dwell on those. Although I was working with a new product, and the team was disfigured and oftentimes mismanaged, this is definitely not the norm. However on the corporate level, there still are a few concerns I can name off the top of my head: The open environment is more distracting than helpful, especially with a chatty group dynamic. Sometimes, at least initially, the freedom to travel alone is daunting; there is a point in between leaving the nest and flying that isn't mediated well enough. In addition, because employees are rewarded for longevity, the management teams have escalated to current positions due to career stagnancy, and only in part (but not necessarily) for hard work. Certain Supervisors and Managers seem to be the socially awkward individuals who didn't want to leave the company and try for something a little more challenging in life, and this is directly reflected in their work ethic: typically saddled in a comfortable mindset, they will dump work on newer folks, completing about 1/2 of their own current workload, and delegating to others (in fact, as a specialist in any department, you will often know just as much or more than the overseers).

Advice to Management

The most important piece of advice I can give management is to get long-term employees back on their feet and diligently working again: more internal performance checking and auditing, as well as a HR Department, will be an advantage with the company's rapid growth rate.

Breeding ground for mediocrity

Former Employee - Applications Specialist
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, annual bonus, decent office, huge working space, generous time off (4 weeks a year, then 5), they have a picnic each spring. Good starting place for something better.

Cons

I felt like I was being babysat. Management watches your hours like a hawk, calls you when you miss events (like the picnic), nobody gets fired for doing a bad job and management has obviously stopped caring. Company isn't innovative. No room for growth.

Advice to Management

Stop babysitting your employees, treat them like adults. Give them new responsibilities to make up for the complete lack of growth.

10. Implementation Specialist

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job out of college and great way to learn a new product. You learn presentation skills and how to manage your customers.

Cons

Not much room for career progression. There is more opportunity in leaving than staying with the company.

11. Great for long term employees. Company Needs More Ambition

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech

Pros

Great Company to Work For Yearly Bonus Great Company Luxuries (Company Picnic,Holiday Gifts) After 2 Years - You can Work From Home Once a Week Great for those looking for Entry Level Yearly Raise Can move within company Great for those looking to stay within the company for a long time (5+ years) Great New Hire Training

Cons

Different Groups Have Different Work Loads Bonus is contingent on the performance of the sales teams Yearly Raise is not competitive NO HR New Hires must be in current position for two year before changing position Some position changes don't really boost pay Many specialists are not given education on outside the industry

Advice to Management

Make the Pay competitive

RSS Feed </> Embed