Meditech Reviews

Updated October 13, 2014
3.1

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salary (36-37k for my position) (in 20 reviews)

• Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company) (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus, Employee Benefits, Company Picnic
    Beautiful Buildings to work in, Great Technology

Cons

Hours are a little late for my liking 9-5:30.

Nice work environment but tough to go anywhere up. Perfect to start career, just don't stay too long...

Former Employee - Applications Specialist
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked here for a little over a year. The job itself is fairly easy. Once you get past the first few weeks you should cruise through your job. Everyone gets a nice little bonus at the end of the year, got your standard pto that accumulates, and upper management is very nice to its employees. Also do various events such as a company picnic, which is a lot of fun. Don't expect to work late nights here, you should have a normal outside life with this job. Overall, a good first job out of school to atleast experience the "real world".

Cons

The biggest problem with the company are the strict big company policies they have. You are capped on your raises, they are pretty strict with time off (making sure you have the correct time and taking off the exact amounts), and it is difficult to move up in the company without being there for years. While everyone is very nice and may know their particular job well, there is very little knowledge between the different groups. This causes a lot of confusion when you are trying to help customers when problems touch on a few different groups.

The job itself wasn't very hard if you have any higher education background. All I did was my job, and apparently did it well. I came in with the attitude of taking on anything they offered and my manager and senior specialist really loved it. The problem is that if you excel at your job, you can only get a max salary increase of (I want to say $6k?) which I heard nobody gets. To top it off, I was excelling and getting a much bigger workload, but there was 0 chance of getting a promotion unless I stayed another 3 years.

To really take advantage of the end of year bonuses here, you have to work here for a number of years. You either come here with the intent to only stay for a year, or you will end up being stuck here for the rest of your life. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the benefits are just good enough to keep someone from leaving and finding a higher paying job.

Give the managers more freedom to keep their best employees. Many new workers here are content with their job and will grind out years here because they will get a baby raise every year. Those employees have no drive to be any more than an application specialist for the rest of their lives. Show the employees with the most potential some extra love after the first year (bigger salary raise, more pto, ANYTHING) something to keep them. I'd say ALL employees are treated well here, but it is irritating when you work very hard and are clearly excelling at your job and you are treated the same as an employee who puts nothing into the job and gets poor results. With such a low starting salary, some kind of money bonus to better employees would really make a difference in employee retention.

I'd say most people that come here are fresh out of college and are just using this as a stepping stone job. Not sure if the company is content with their turnover rate, given that most of the new employees are pretty much useless for the first couple months.

Great Place to Gain Experience, Tough Place to Make $

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, solid training, company has been in healthcare IT for 45 years, good benefits, good bonus. My experience with management was positive, I thought my managers and supervisors had a good understanding of their roles and how to motivate those below them. I learned the industry, I learned the clinical side of a hospital's software functions, overall I would say it was a very positive experience. The hours are really easy, no one expects you to stay late or come in early. The subsidized lunch prices were excellent, you'll spend no more than $20 a week on lunch. Annual picnic is a phenomenal family-friendly event. Every Xmas you get a 22 lb turkey or 13 lb ham for free.

Cons

It's really simple. If you work at Meditech (excluding Sales) you will make less money than you should, at pretty much every position. I was promoted twice in three years. I did not receive a pay raise for either promotion. I simply had my salary review moved up 8 months so I could receive my annual raise faster. 3 years in, I was making the same amount of money that most college grads get at their entry level, and my position at three years is definitely not entry level. Managers are strapped because they don't have enough say to have a true meritocracy in terms of who they dole raises to. They're given a lump sum that they have to distribute to their entire staff, so unless they want to give some employees a $0 raise, everyone pretty much gets a similar raise.

Also, the end of the year bonus, while it's good, will be explained to be much greater than it actually is during orientation. With taxes, it's usually about half of what it ends up being.

Figure out a way to hold onto your talent. If you want to keep costs down by keeping salaries low for entry level, that's fine, and I actually approve. But when you find talented people out of these entry level people, and they get promoted, reward those compensations with legitimate pay increases. Figure out a way to compensate middle managment better. Your competitors recruit your talented Supervisors, Analysts, and Senior Specialists away by explaining to them how much lower the pay is at Meditech than at competitors.

It wasn't for me. I didn't really fit in. If you do fit in, you may really like it and even thrive.

Former Employee - Development Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Development Specialist in Westwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance, friendly coworkers that created a pleasant atmosphere, good health benefits, cheap cafeteria with decent food. The open office environment does encourage collaboration.

Cons

It's a technology company with outdated technology. The compensation is VERY low and it takes a long time before the bonus kicks in. It felt like everyone understood how things worked except for me. When i asked questions, I was laughed at or the questions were brushed off. When I refrained from asking questions, I was told that I was not taking initiative.

The open office space makes it hard to concentrate.

Pay employees better, update your IT systems, and give some genuine flexibility in opportunities for shifting jobs into something that may be a better fit.

With that said, the company is clearly very profitable and I can't argue with results.

Excellent place to work, just TERRIBLE starting pay...

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i was working as a programmer in the interface group (called NMI.. dealing with interfacing with other non-MEDITECH platforms).. and the work was definitely very challenging at times (and i have a masters in electrical engineering)..

job stability

pretty relaxed atmosphere

lots of young people

Cons

the starting salary is disgusting, i don't care if you make the raises and bonuses equivalent to a competent salary 5 years down the line.. it doesn't mean anything if you start people off so low that their banks go into negatives every month

don't start people off this low

It was fun. Everyone was really nice and seemed to enjoy working there. I never had an issue

Former Employee - Product Development in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Product Development in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people. Great benefits. The company outing in the summer is awesome. Seems easy to move up and excel.

Cons

Have you be your own person. People will not find ways to improve you and do not care about you unless you speak up.

It's like meeting&dating the man of your dreams and finding out he's married. ;)

Current Employee - Marketing in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, easy work, marriott points galore(best benefit), opportunity to travel and enjoy our great country.
    Happy place to start (until you realize how poor the pay is and how nonexistent progress will be)
    Staff r nice but that says nothing about the company, u can find nice staff working at a junkyard or a car wash but that doesn't mean you're going to work there now does it? ..as always there are plenty idiotic staff who annoy you because of their constant need to kiss bum and b seen kissing bum.

Cons

Where to start....as said, depends on your supervisor. I have an ok one, makes life easier but majority of the supervisors here are a bunch of complete junkboxes; Lowlife long tenured peeps who don't know a lot about a lot and just know what they know cos they've been there forever. They sit around gossiping and plotting the 'underbus pushing' of the next employee...and their superiors get involved too. Wish I could name names but that would be low.

Probably pointless to tell u that salary is ridiculous and raises are as foolish and baseless as the gossipy supervisors.

Resistant to change, they will rather die stupid than progress in their mentality

Before I forget, let me just tell you, take a meditech job if u get offered before finding anything else, stay for about 2-3yrs to get experience and build resume and fly out before u get roped into this nonforward thinking/nonforward movement setting. To move up, you have to be there forever and u have to master the art of moving your lips towards superior bums ...A.k.a kiss superior arse with your hands raised so they can see u.

The only thing that excites them is a new web based product on the way ...which they should have thought of ages ago.

Ehm, let me be unoriginal this time and steal what someone said...GTH :D

Only one person(or 2 maximum) is great and visionary but unfortunately , SHE won't be the next CEO, I believe - reorg in progress or complete they say, we see what comes out of that.

Easy work, low pay, reluctant to change

Current Employee - Development Programmer in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Development Programmer in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work is relatively easy and, work life balance and benefits are great. Work from home available after one year, ability to buy company stock which pays a good dividend, high annual bonus

Cons

LOW pay for entry level employees, pay not increased when transferring to a higher paid position, no attempt to increase pay for current employees when starting salaries rise.

Raise starting salaries, allow employees to get a salary review more than once per year if they are good, bring in new blood with fresh outside experience into development management positions

Stable place to work, with a great atmosphere.

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great hardworking team oriented culture.

Cons

Clients can be very demanding, and the pay is only decent.

Great to get a head start

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees and managers alike are amazing people, and some of the best I've ever worked with. Work is consistent and keeps coming, while not ever being too stressful.

Cons

Work is very easy if you have any background at all in your field. Pay is very, VERY low.

Keep doing what you're doing, you're great! Perhaps raise wages to keep some more talented employees.

Meditech Photos

Meditech Waiting area/ lobby
Got to love the windows.

+ Add Photo