Meditech

Meditech Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing

Howard Messing

Pros:
  • "Work Life Balance- You will work 9-530 and working late does not happen often"
    in 17 reviews
  • "The company offers excellent job security and a fantastic work life balance"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low starting salary, but the perks outweigh the con's"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Low starting salary - you get hired entry level, you get paid"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good career starter & for long term employees.

Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Good benefits for the most part.
90% of health/dental insurance is paid by the company. Two weeks of sick time/two weeks of vacation for the first two years of employment, which then gets bumped up to 3 weeks. The cafeteria is subsidized by Meditech, so lunches are pretty cheap. You can get a burger/fries/drink for about $4. The food tends to be pretty good overall. After two years you're allowed one 'work from home' day a week.

- Work/Life balance
You don't take work home with you. I've worked at Meditech for three years and haven't worked more than 50 hours in a week since I started. Meditech offers 24/7 customer support, so any ongoing issues can easily be handed off to the 2nd/3rd shift employees.

- Job Security
Meditech tends to not fire employees for whatever reason. After three years I've known 2-3 employees that have been fired. You need to be a serious screwup to get fired. On the one hand it's great to know you don't need to be looking over your shoulder for the hammer to drop, on the other hand this leads to a good amount of apathy/complacency since you know you won't be fired as long as you're barely competent.

Cons- Compensation
As mentioned in every other review, the compensation at Meditech is pathetic in comparison to the industry average. I was hired as a programmer around 38k and after 3 years I'm making roughly 45k, still well below starting salary at most companies, especially in the Greater Boston area. The compensation model is geared toward longer tenured employees. Since the starting salary is so low, they expect employees to invest in company stock. The yearly bonus is tied to how much you've made in the last 5 years, so again geared towards longer tenured employees. I hear that the compensation does catch up eventually with dividend payments + the bonus. Lots of good employees tend to stick around for a year or two, then find a much higher paying job at another health care organization/hospital. Pay increases are only done on a yearly basis and can only be in $1200 increments. For what reason, I don't know.

- Management
You're Meditech experience can made/broken depending on your supervisor. Some allow autonomy and tend to leave you alone, some micromanage and will be constantly breathing down your neck. Some will hound you over internet usage, some won't. Some will go to bat for you, etc... Your mileage can vary wildly depending on your supervisor.

-Transferable skills
There basically are none as a programmer. Saying you can code in MAT/Magic to any other company other than Meditech is like saying you can speak Klingon. Meditech uses proprietary software at every level, so none of that experience is transferable to any other company except those hospitals that also use that software.

- Promotions
The way Meditech handles promotions is a little ridiculous. Promotions don't guarantee a pay bump, it just raises the 'pay ceiling' for whatever you make. So for instance an employee can have their yearly review in April, get promoted in May, then will work at their current salary for 11 months before their next yearly review in April. Even then, the promotion only raises your pay ceiling, so you might not get a bump then either, however you probably would.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to revisit your compensation model. It may have been a good model back when Meditech was rapidly growing as a company, but now that it's a more stable company with slower long term growth, the model is outdated. You need to offer more competitive salaries in order to incentivize employees to stay. I'm not sure if management is aware of the growing student loans/debt issue with recent graduates, but I've seen numerous employees leave the company due to needing a higher salaried position to pay for their loans.

Hire programmers with programming experience. While I understand that Meditech hires employees with any degree, the fact that the company hires programmers with Math degrees and have never written a "Hello World" program in their life is frankly ridiculous. If I'm talking with a fellow programmer and mention 'regular expressions', their reaction shouldn't be to look at me like I have seven heads. It's embarrassing.

Great culture

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent benefits, family oriented, saw the country in my travels!

ConsStarting Salary can be low

Great career starter, no long term growth.

Applications Specialist (Former Employee)
Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

ProsOverall good company culture and a great entry level job.

Meditech teaches new college graduates how to operate in the professional world.

Good training program and a great way to get introduced to Healthcare IT industry.

You don't bring work home with you.

ConsTerrible compensation plan.

No career growth potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould introduce incentive plans for high achievers, this would keep some of the little talent that stays at Meditech.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Meditech

Proshard to get fired or laid off. young company. great industry. if you have a great supervisor or manager, the experience is even better.

ConsI think of this as a con. I felt like there is a air of complacency there. If you are not the most driven person, this place is great for so many reasons. If you are driven, there is room for opportunity to stand out, but still hard to climb over seniority. if you have a bad supervisor or manager, it can suck.

Great place to start a career

Applications Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMeditech provides an excellent work/life balance with fantastic benefits including the ability to telecommute weekly. With an open culture there are also opportunities to really find what motivates and drives you professionally, and having never laid an employee off in their 45 year existence, the stability to allow you to try new things. They also have a great bonus structure that grows each year you stay with the company.

ConsThe pay is pretty low and there isn't much opportunity to make it grow rapidly. There is also the attitude that treating everyone fairly means treating everyone the same. This is particularly difficult if you enter mid-career or decide to pursue an advanced degree or certification, don't expect to be compensated fairly based on open-market value.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are really two pieces of advice that tie together. First, create titles that accurately reflect individuals job functions, and if you are going to ask someone to do something consistently outside of the current title/functionality aggressively look to change their title. It shouldn't take 2+ years of doing the job before someone is granted the title. Second, pay individuals something in line with fair market value based off their title, experience, education and certifications. Meditech is a great company and could certainly keep great people at a discount based on all the Pro's mentioned above, but the wider the gap, the greater the chance you will lose great people and knowledge.

Great environment but pay aimed at life-long employment

Programmer Development (Former Employee)

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

ProsBeautiful, open workspace in the Canton office with rotating art gallery, greenery indoor and out, and subsidized lunches (not vegan- or health-friendly, unfortunately, but good for most people). As a programmer you'll work on a close-knit team with daily face-to-face interactions with co-programmers, Q&A, and your managers. My team was from diverse backgrounds, all capable, pleasant, and loyal to each other and our software products.

ConsMy experience was circa 2003 so this may be outdated.

Highly conservative software products. If innovations in CS drive you, MEDITECH may not be for you.

Exceptionally low pay for engineers. My understanding was they hire everyone at entry pay for technical non-programmers, expecting you to do 1-2 years of technical customer assistance before becoming a programmer. When I was hired right into development, I skipped those 2 years of salary growth so I was a developer with literally half the industry average for Boston. Growth is fast but my cube-mate did not hit industry average until his fifth year. I left for salary and don't regret it.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay early programmers competitively and they will have incentive to stay. You have a great company to work for.

Good job out of college

Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

ProsVery flexible, laid back work environment
Everyone is friendly and willing to help you learn the system
Ability to travel the country after a few months of training
Job security

ConsCan be boring material
It takes a long time to reach a promotion
There aren't many incentives to work hard

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more incentives to motivate employees to stay

Great Stepping Stone

Senior Applications Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat opportunity for college graduates to get real world experience for a world class organization. Great benefits and workplace dynamic. Opportunity to polish customer relationship, technical and supervisory/mentorship skills. Great work life balance

ConsCompensation, I would have stayed a long time if I could have afforded to live in the Greater Boston area as the primary breadwinner in the family.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees market value so you can retain them, quality over quantity. Otherwise, keep doing what your doing.

A Nice Place to Visit but You Don't Want to Live There

Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee)
Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- They're open to all majors. I was a linguistics major. The manager who interviewed me had been a geography major. One of the best programmers in my group was a Philosophy major. If you're a college student looking for a first job in technology, whatever your major may be is fine with Meditech where other companies might not give you a thought.

- For programmer positions the interview includes a test that teaches you some of the language but largely looks at your logic/analytical skills. Personally I think that's really the best method.

- Like everyone else says, they have good benefits. 90%of health/dental paid. For an entire family plan with spouse + children I was paying about $250/mo. Sweet deal.

- They take really good care of their grounds/buildings. I think it's vastly underappreciated. It's nice to take a stroll and enjoy walkways around Lowderbrook. Have lunch in the beautiful atrium in Canton. In the winter, walkways and parking lots kept impeccably well plowed/shoveled/sanded. If there were any problems with my cube/area, put in a ticket and quickly taken care of. The operations staff are phenomenal.

- The annual bonus gets quite nice after a few years. It's a percentage of past 5 years pay so it keeps getting better each year.

- The company picnic is awesome. Only thing I really miss. It's mostly done by volunteers. I would highly recommend you volunteer. It's a lot of fun for the kids and you get free Meditech swag in thanks. :)

- As others have said, generally good work/life balance. They tend to be very family friendly in general.

- For Other Mommies: Really nice mothers rooms. door lock, very nice cushy chair, lots of magazines, has its own mini fridge for milk so you're not stuck putting milk in the communal kitchen fridge.

Cons- Like everyone else has said, salary way below industry and it never catches up. Raises are in $1200 increments determined at annual review. So after your review you might get a raise of $0/$1200/$2400/$3600 or rarely $4800. I honestly think MT expects everyone to buy stock. The long-termers who were doing well that I talked to, that's how they did it. It often outpaced their salary. Or they hit cap on the profit sharing plan.

- The annual bonus does not make up for the low salary. Some people try to claim that. Leaving Meditech got me an immediate 33% raise even when I included the bonus into my MT pay.

- Raises should be better tied to performance. Most people expect their raise to be based on their performance and group budget/company success. That's it. At Meditech the other salaries in your group are also taken into account. This was more of a problem for the long-termers like 10+ years when the rest of the group was newer. They said it didn't matter how hard they worked or well they did, they'd still get a $0 or at most $1200 because they already outpaced the group. There's a surefire way to kill senior employee motivation.

- Getting a promotion doesn't necessarily get you a raise either. It merely raises your theoretical pay cap (they don't have hard caps last I checked). It can be raised but doesn't have to be. So oftentimes being promoted means taking on more responsibility now but not seeing any benefit until your next review comes around.

- On that note, advancement potential for those of a technical mind but not interested in management is limited. You've got Programmer > Senior Programmer > Computer Scientist. That's it. Computer Scientist appointments are few and kind of a big deal so you see quite a few folk languishing at Senior Programmer. If management is your kind of thing, there's more options available to you. But for geeks who want to grow in skill rather than clout it's very narrow.

- Because the company only hires entry level and promotes from within, leadership promotion seems more like Survivor or attrition warfare than who would make a good supervisor or manager. In areas of high turnover, the one who lasts the longest is usually the one tapped. Highly motivated people who want to be managers/leaders usually leave before they get to that point.

- Pay/promotion aside, let's talk about other motivating factors. Appreciation/praise? Largely depends on your supervisor. Sometimes customers will appreciate what you do but not often. Freedom/Autonomy? Again, largely depends on your supervisor. Mine was fantastic but some micromanage hard. Learning opportunities/skill growth? The main reason why the reviews here recommend this only as a starter job. You will learn a great deal in your first years here but after a certain point it will stop. That's the point I would recommend trying to transfer to learn new/different skills. In the same position, once you've learned what you need to do the job proficiently there's almost no encouragement to go beyond.

- As implied by the last point, your supervisor can make your Meditech experience awesome or awful. Given the tenure/outlast modality, I unfortunately saw a lot of the latter. This was a killer for group morale, hampered or outright discouraged employees' development, would cause more turnover and oftentimes it was difficult to transfer out from under such supervisors. Which brings me to my last point...

- They must be in a state of denial over their internal mobility if they think it's great. Their transfer policies are already longer than my huge entry here but there's no oversight of those policies either. I've seen what look like vengeful sups block transfers of those under them. Those people wound up leaving. None of my cases were that bad but it did take me 2 years to get my first transfer. Trying for a 2nd transfer 7 years in, it was assigned almost a year out (well past a policy that says should be in 90 days) which is when I finally threw in the towel.

Advice to Senior Management1) Be willing to hire into sup/manager roles. That way you can get people who are good at management into those positions rather than whoever hasn't quit yet. I know you're concerned you want supervisors/managers to understand what the people under them do, but that's what training is for. It's easier to teach technical skills than it is to teach leadership skills. Have you ever noticed your training for new supervisors focuses on trying to teach leadership? That should tell you something about your promotion practices.

2) Shift your focus to how you can gain and maintain loyalty rather than assuming it as a given. There's an insidious mindset of "Anyone who wouldn't have us is someone we wouldn't want anyway." Almost like shielding your ego at a company level rather than asking what happened. This mindset creeps it's way into your actions like not having real exit interviews, not rehiring staff who have left, having a difficult transfer process that can easily be shut down by a few people, not having real career/skill development for employees ("Working the Generation Gap" don't count). These kinds of actions come across as hubris and taking your staff for granted. I'm not the only one to get that vibe. I think someone else on Glassdoor put it as "Meditech acts like they're the last coke in the desert." Yes you're a successful company but how much better would you be if you retained your top talent and improved knowledge and motivation across the board? Put your employees first and they will in turn put you first.

3) Realize that the compensation model that has worked for the long-termers will not work for the new blood. The long-termers have a good deal of stock and make most their money on that or having capped their profit share so the salary is less important. They happened to get in while you were a young company with a great deal of growth. You are a mature company now and will not grow like that again. So for newer/younger employees the stock will not compensate for the depressed salary. Newer employees the compensation model will need to focus on salary and bonus.

4) I can appreciate the difficulty in trying to balance the satisfaction of long-termers vs newer employees. The long-termers feeling like they will not see a reward no matter how hard they work. The newer employees feeling like the working poor on salaries that make it difficult to pay ever-larger student loans and survive. Have you ever considered starting a loan assistance program? Student loans are the biggest financial woe I hear (and tuition reimbursement doesn't help there). Some employers are already using LRAPs to get and retain employees. For the long-termers, I realize raises aren't always possible (how much is a senior programmer really worth?) Have you ever considered service awards to recognize and reward their loyalty and longevity? The company I work for now does that and while they may be things like nice watches or jewelry instead of money, the employees seem to really enjoy them and keep them with pride.

5) Development Specific: Quality guys, quality! Stop rushing to get things out the door. If it needs more testing, so be it. That's how you keep getting so many bugs. And stop obsessing over getting the bug counts down; you're only forcing people to go for low hanging fruit. They can bang out 5 easy DTSs in a day to get your bug counts down. Or they can spend all day working on that one massive issue. Guess which one your customers want? Dimes to donuts, the massive issue. Focus on bug impact over raw bug numbers, and focus on testing and quality over deadlines. And while I'm wishful thinking, have your dev groups by NPR/M-AT instead of 5.x and 6.x. There is no reason to have separate 5.x/6.x groups for things like ABS, GENFINS, EMPFINS, or LAB. You've only split your resources and made more confusion when those areas of 5.x and 6.x run into the same issues all being NPR-based.

Nice place to start career

Technical Support Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly, good health care benefits.

ConsLow pay, management is a little stale.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are a technical company - LOSE the 1940s phones

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meditech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meditech CEO Howard Messing. All 131 reviews posted anonymously by Meditech employees.