Meditech Reviews

Reset
3.1
Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • There is a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero room for growth, starting salary is pitiful, raises are almost non-existent (in 20 reviews)

• Everyone starts out entry level (in 14 reviews)

1. Review

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is very friendly

Cons

The starting salary is tough to take...

2. Great place for corporate newcomers - reommended and welcoming environment for everyone

I worked at Meditech full-time

Pros

Meditech is a uniquely-honed workplace: open work environment, endearing group meetings, and expressively friendly colleagues. Notably, Meditech trains every person from scratch. As most companies typically require a couple years experience before directly hiring, this makes it an excellent springboard to garner experience as a new college graduate. Working with Meditech has given me the assurance to travel to hospitals around the country and confidently give presentations on moderately complex medical software. Although initially very critical of presentation skills, supervisors will ultimately give you the freedom to travel alone and work with a wide variety of people. I can confidently say, after my couple years at Meditech, I am much more prepared to enter the medical software and devices market. Bonus: and if you stay with the company for the longhaul, you're almost guaranteed a salary bump every year (I'm pretty sure most people get a raise), and they're highly appreciative and rewarding of longevity.

Cons

The majority of the cons I could potentially list are directly correlated with my own group structure, so I won't dwell on those. Although I was working with a new product, and the team was disfigured and oftentimes mismanaged, this is definitely not the norm. However on the corporate level, there still are a few concerns I can name off the top of my head: The open environment is more distracting than helpful, especially with a chatty group dynamic. Sometimes, at least initially, the freedom to travel alone is daunting; there is a point in between leaving the nest and flying that isn't mediated well enough. In addition, because employees are rewarded for longevity, the management teams have escalated to current positions due to career stagnancy, and only in part (but not necessarily) for hard work. Certain Supervisors and Managers seem to be the socially awkward individuals who didn't want to leave the company and try for something a little more challenging in life, and this is directly reflected in their work ethic: typically saddled in a comfortable mindset, they will dump work on newer folks, completing about 1/2 of their own current workload, and delegating to others (in fact, as a specialist in any department, you will often know just as much or more than the overseers).

Advice to Management

The most important piece of advice I can give management is to get long-term employees back on their feet and diligently working again: more internal performance checking and auditing, as well as a HR Department, will be an advantage with the company's rapid growth rate.

3. Implementation Specialist

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great job out of college and great way to learn a new product. You learn presentation skills and how to manage your customers.

Cons

Not much room for career progression. There is more opportunity in leaving than staying with the company.

Career Oriented

Current Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Foxborough, MA
    Current Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Foxborough, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Never had a layoff. Extremely dependable job security. Beautiful buildings with in-building cafes for cheap meals. Family friendly, social work environment. Working from home 1-2 days a week after a few years experience. Cash holiday bonus yearly since the companies opening capping at 20k (if you work here for life you hit the cap). Meaningful work! You can go home and rest easy at the end of the day having helped provide better care for hospital staff, so that they can in turn help take better care of patients.

Cons

The starting salary for programmers is below the standard, but there are other perks that they do a bad job illustrating up front (Bonus, on-call money, working from home capabilities, very clear path for growth, flexible hours/shifts/positions - Can transfer roles after two years, no questions asked).

The company itself has microcosms within it that are less desirable than the norm. (I imagine this is like any other company however)

Advice to Management

Recognize indispensable staff before losing them. I've seen too many incredible employees leave because we can't offer them a salary more reasonable to their abilities. Don't be afraid to take a two year specialist supervisor and give them 10k come raise time, or do the same for a programmer showing aptitude in and out of the In-House coding standards. This is how we will maintain relevance, improving our own software through external tools and experience. If we are going to start people out low, it's time to let go of this antiquated raise system and be able to bump people up in a big way when we want them to stay for the long run.

6. Marketing Support

I have been working at Meditech full-time

Pros

Very flexible company, great benefits, great vacation and sick time, overall just a ton of flexibility and everyone is very nice and happy

Cons

Management heavy here, but definitely have the ability to move up

Advice to Management

Provide staff with more opportunities to move up

Sales Representative/"Marketing Consultant"

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, including subsidized cafeterias in most buildings
    Plenty of time off between holidays and vacation (two weeks to start and three weeks after two years)
    Full annual bonus after 5 years, although after two years of falling revenue this was cut by 20% this year

Cons

Many reps who have been ere five to ten years are leaving
    Low base pay for so much travel, with little hope of any sales soon
    More a marketing position then a sales position
    Industry is down, and will be so for another couple of years
    You get partnered with another sales rep who will dictate what you do even though they are not management
    After years as number one in industry, has now been relegated to number two - four depending n what you are ranking
    Main competitors Epic, Cerner and athenahealth do not show any signs of slowing down while MEDITECH continues "plugging" along
    No real vision coming from senior management, most of whom have been around since the 1990's or before

Advice to Management

See my cons, the organization needs to focus more on supporting sales rather then trying to thwart it, everyone needs to realize tat the customer/prospect is king, and act accordingly.

Project Coordinator

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in North Attleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in North Attleboro, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Can move around the company
    Part time for people with children
    Work from home

Cons

Pay could be better
    Many times the wrong people get promoted with the promote from with in mentality.

Advice to Management

Too many micromanagers.

9. Specialist

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home is pretty great actually. You get two days a week and IF you have the right management team you can be pretty flexible about it.

Cons

The salary is laughable. Management wasn't flexible with hours for some people and were for others. They bend over backwards for you if you have a kid but as a young professional there's nothing here for you besides a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Do more for your young professionals not just the married people with kids. If you want the company to be sustainable you need to tweak this.

10. Implementation

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Alright, I see everyone complain about low salaries for implementation and I just do not get it. You are not in a high pressure job. You are not asked to work more than 40 hours. If you want a job like that then go get one and make a little more money. This is so easy to break down but people either do not grasp it or just ignore it and only want to look at salary.

Year 1- Start off making 40k, no bonus, no profit sharing, maybe only a couple of work trips so you end the year at 41k. (You get paid 150 dollars each trip so people who do 20-25 a year make an extra 3-4k.....Oh and plus all the money you save and perks of travelling are worth at least another couple thousand)

Year 2- With a decent raise you are up to 42.5k and a bonus of 2k. You travel more so that adds 2k. The company provides the profit sharing plan so there is another 1.5 k year 2. Total pay year 2 is 48k plus the money saved of travelling easily pushes you over 50k.

Year 3. Another raise puts you to 45k and since the bonus grows rapidly, you are up to 5k on it. Same travel and same profit sharing but that grows as you grow as well so that is now 2k. Total compensation year 3 is 54k.

Year 4- Salary at 47.5, bonus 7k, travel 2k, profit sharing 2.5k. Total compensation is 59k.

That is at an average raise. If you get higher obviously you can really start to accelerate your income. Also if you are in a group that travels almost every other week, that can add another 1k plus benefits of travelling.

I am not a Meditech honk and believe me they have their issues and outdated ways, but salary is really not that bad. Go there and work a little and then you will be rewarded. These people want it the other way around.

Cons

There are cons. Reporting structure, can be stuck in a group with no real growth, at times feels like a ton of people in the company do not much care for the company.

The whole way the groups are broke down almost make it feel like a high school cafeteria where everyone is stuck within their group they start with.

Advice to Management

Promote those who deserve it, not those who are just in the right group or situation

11. Application Specialist

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Meditech (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and team work environment, a lot of travel if you like that

Cons

Not much room for growth, low salaries within industry

RSS Feed </> Embed