Meditech Reviews

Reset
3.1
Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • There is a good work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero room for growth, starting salary is pitiful, raises are almost non-existent (in 20 reviews)

• Everyone starts out entry level (in 14 reviews)

A Positive, Stable Environment

I have been working at Meditech full-time

Pros

Work keeps its focus on the family. If you need your schedule to accommodate to your family situation, hours can be adjusted. No layoffs in its entire history. I look forward to coming to work as I'm around amazing people. Always being challenged and always learning something new every day.

Cons

I haven't worked here long enough to have any problems with being here. I think it's great.

2. Good company, lower pay

Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Canton, MA

Pros

Meditech is a very stable company to work for. There is no worry about job security. The company also has a very laid back atmosphere and for the most part has a good employees.

Cons

The downside is the pay, I feel the reason most people leave is for better pay elsewhere.

Stable company to work for

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Stable - don't have to worry about being laid off. Flexible - depending on your management team and division, things are really flexible. Atmosphere - beautiful buildings and a friendly environment Benefits - great benefits, including vacation time (3 weeks after 2 years) and 90% health and dental.

Cons

Low salary, especially for new employees. Location - sometimes people have to work at inconvenient buildings when there is a closer building. Lack of direction - sometimes it feels like the company is going in too many directions at once. Lack of resolution - sometimes it feels like the company is too scared to offend individual customers than it is determined to make decisions which will benefit all customers.

Advice to Management

Upper Management - Provide the company with a clear goal and strive as a unit to reach that goal. Provide enough development staff to actually fix issues, rather than hiring people to just shuffle issues around. Be willing to make tough decisions regarding our software deployment practices to make things more streamlined and efficient. Lower & Middle Management - work with your employees and reward those who deserve it. Make sure you understand your employees roles.

5. programmer

I have been working at Meditech full-time

Pros

some of the pros of working at this company are: i have a very low stress environment and very good benefits

Cons

some of the cons of working at this company are: the cafeteria is awful, the meetings are pointless, and the pay is below industry standard.

Advice to Management

people do not like having so many meetings; most of them can be emails instead. nobody likes to be micromanaged.

6. Applications Specialist

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open work environment. Stable job in a stable industry. Good first-job out of college. Opens other doors.

Cons

Low pay for the industry. High turnover. Culture varies by group. Lots of travel.

Advice to Management

Your people work hard for you. Pay them accordingly and stop losing everyone to other jobs where we are paid well and treated like grown-ups. You are notorious for having under-trained support staff, and for being a training ground for the fresh out of college crowd. I had multiple interviews where someone commented "Oh we love our Meditech people here. They send us some good ones!" ....Maybe try keeping us and investing your money in well-trained employees? Stop wasting time and money training everyone? Just some thoughts.

7. Excellent entry level job/Stepping stone

Former Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Fall River, MA
    Former Employee - Client Services Supervisor in Fall River, MA

Pros

Nice facilities, free coffee and soft drinks, subsidized cafeteria food, easy highway access, friendly coworkers, ability to gear career towards your interests, travel opportunities

Cons

Salaries are too low for the expectations, inflexible hours

8. good company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

college benefits great, also a nice benefits package

Cons

low pay, long hours no raises, little room for advancement.

Advice to Management

reward your workers with better pay

9. Application Specialist

I have been working at Meditech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job security, great benefits. The company is working hard to keep up with the industry, and to streamline the company's goals and development.

Cons

Working in customer service can be tough. Salary is low compared to the industry standard. The company isn't progressing as fast as many would like.

Advice to Management

Execute everything we're working on flawlessly and quickly.

Good place to start out: seek true growth elsewhere

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Westwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meditech is a great place to start out for those new to the workforce, as they only hire entry level. They also do a good job of providing the training and foundation necessary to acquire new professional skills. The work spaces are generally attractive and there are 8 buildings scattered within the 495 corridor. In most of the buildings there is a Meditech subsidized cafeteria with very affordable, good food. There is a family-friendly annual picnic in the summer. The company supplies a holiday gift to all employees every year. MT has an annual bonus that escalates the longer you stay with the company. Excellent health benefits. You are allowed to telecommute one day a week after two years and dependent on group, two days after 3. Able to switch groups after two years. Meditech has never had a layoff so the job security is ironclad, for now.

Cons

The salary is laughable for the healthcare IT standard, and while improving slightly over the past few years, it truly does lag behind. It is no secret that good employees with 2-5 years experience can leave and realistically make anywhere from 50-80% more salary immediately. There is little room for true growth, and whatever growth you can achieve is extremely linear (specialist->senior specialist->supervisor->senior supervisor, etc.). You can get a nice title change relatively quickly but it is an empty title with no additional salary adjustment. There is no HR department, which for a company as big as Meditech is a big issue. This creates an environment where company policy is interpreted differently by different groups, thus your level of job enjoyment is heavily dependent on how your management team interprets the rules. The company only hires entry level, so upper management are all Meditech lifers. This is a big con because there are very little fresh ideas from the top and the company is becoming dangerously stagnant. Oftentimes management are those that have stayed the longest and not the most deserving or talented, because those people have already left the company. The workspaces are open with low cubes to promote collaboration, but really it promotes a loud, gossipy environment. Once you put in a few years and prove that you're not just a warm body, it is impossible to lose your job, no matter how bad you are at it. There are always the go-getters but a disconcertingly large percentage of employees are just collecting a check. You only get paid once a month, which while very strange I have to say that it does force you to be better at budgeting.

Advice to Management

Retain your star employees by paying them more! It's the big elephant in the room that nobody in upper management wants to do anything about. The old song and dance about the "other benefits" still does not outweigh the poor pay. Stop being so conservative and think outside the box more; the company is getting lapped by the competition by coming out with products that competitors have had in the market for many years.

11. Stable Employment, at a major cost. Does not operate like a technology company.

Former Employee - Development Programmer
    Former Employee - Development Programmer

Pros

- Stable employment - Work/Life Balance: Most departments are not expected to work more than 40 hrs/week. - Above average benefits, not in terms of tech companies though. - Generally open and friendly culture.

Cons

- Hires only entry level. This means that there is never an influx of talent into the company. Every new employee will come in with no skills or industry experience. This seems calculated to ensure that new employees will have little exposure to the outside world. It also means the quality of product and services we provide is lower, because we would NEVER pull talent from another tech company. You'll never hear that we got some new employee from IBM or EMC, etc. - Technology is severely outdated. For technical staff, you are giving up your marketability by working here. The skills you can learn here are mostly applicable only to MEDITECH software. We are currently using some more industry tools like JIRA, subversion, and google apps, but they don't cover the entire organization yet. - Employee time wasted reinventing the wheel Until only a few years ago, every piece of software used here was developed internally. It means company resources have been devoted to writing a Meditech 'word' application, a Meditech 'email', a 'meditech' version control system and so forth. This is turn means employee time can't be devoted to making our products better, and they have suffered. The list of components we have custom written include our programming languages, our web server, our database system, our payroll software, our bug tracking system,(moving to JIRA, soon) our version control (now we use svn in some places), our IDE (some places have started using eclipse, but not in Client Services). Since we don't hire top industry professionals, our tools and components are not very competitive and make employee life difficult. - This is likely to happen at many companies, but the set of skills you can gain in many roles is often not very marketable. Due to hiring polices. manager has not worked anywhere else besides MEDITECH, and can only show you the MEDITECH way. - Compensation is poor Especially for development staff. Thus the quality of your colleagues is much lower. To put it very bluntly, they scrape the bottom for talent and this limits how much you can learn. - Meditech does not hire people based on previous backgrounds For example, there might be a physics major in development, or a music major doing customer service. In some cases this is fine, but it doesn't always work out well. Most of the client services team are from all walks of life. This combined with the 'entry level' hiring policy means you have some very weird and unstructured viewpoints on how technology should work. Communication between departments can be very tough, because people don't have a common vocabulary. Many client services employees don't understand good software principles, so we have very poorly designed software. This leads to wasted time, frustration and lack or marketable skills. Do not recommend working at this company, especially for development role. If you do, be very wary to learn on your own to manage your ignorance level. Company operates as a 'healthcare' company as opposed to a technology company. This is par for the course; companies like Epic are very similar.

Advice to Management

- You can't change MEDITECH, without changing the culture. This culture will only be changed by removing the requirement of 'hiring only entry level'. The current staff is too engrained into MEDITECH's old way of writing every piece of software by themselves. This will only change with massive cultural change and some employee turnover.

RSS Feed </> Embed