Meditech

Meditech Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing

Howard Messing

Pros:
  • "The benefits are great, you hardly pay anything for top of the line health care"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Work Life Balance- You will work 9-530 and working late does not happen often"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Low starting salary (35-36k for my position)"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Low starting salary - you get hired entry level, you get paid entry level"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Solid company that's never had lay-offs.

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMEDITECH is a fiscally responsible employer.

ConsPay is slightly lower than the industry average

Hard to find a company like this any more

Development Programmer (Current Employee)
Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

ProsJob security - they have never laid off an employee, in over 40 years of doing business as a software company. That's a big deal.
90% paid benefits - Better than most other options out there, they pay 90% of your benefits, so you're not losing a lot in your check for that.
Management understands what it's like to do your job - even the CEO of the company started out, in the company, as a programmer. Upper management all understands what it's like to be on the front lines of this company, because they've been there. That helps in putting things in perspective.
Excellent employees get big raises quickly - if you work hard, show aptitude, and succeed, between salary raises and the bonus (see below), you could double your income inside of five years with the company.
Yearly bonus - An annual bonus based on the performance of the company is given out, based on a percentage of your last five years' salary. This has even happened during the economic crisis.
Ability to buy well-performing stock in a solid company - after a few years with the company, you get the option to buy stock. This stock has historically performed exceedingly well.
Great work/life balance - supervisors and managers understand that employees have lives outside of work. This does not mean that you'll never be asked to work overtime - but it is something that they try to avoid unless necessary.

ConsLow starting salary - you get hired entry level, you get paid entry level.
Takes time for title advancement - some companies will give you a 'senior' title after a couple of years. This takes a longer time, and some actual achievement, to earn at Meditech.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, and maintain focus on remaining competitive in the market.

Not just a starter company.

Development Specialist (Current Employee)
Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech part-time for more than 10 years

ProsI used the title "not just a started company" to make the point that Meditech is so much more. In an age where job hopping seems to be the only way to advance your career, Meditech is a diamond in the rough. There are very few companies today that have any type of structure that would allow an individual to build a lifelong career with advancement of their choice (management, senior developers, sales, etc.) But that's that not only reason Meditech is a great place to work.....

1. Great people from entry level to senior management!
2. Great benefits - I pay under $125 for BCBS Family Health and Dental - unheard of! Awesome yearly bonus. Stock options that continue to pay impressive dividends even during economic crisis.
3. Amazing work environments - You don't appreciate a large, bright workstation with a chair that supports your back until you don't have it. It's like running water, you always need it but don't always appreciate it.
4. JOB SECURITY! Let me say it again JOB SECURITY! Meditech has a reputation for not taking resignations well. That's because they would never just up and fire an employee. If someone is not performing to the best of their ability Meditech works with that person to find a position that better meets their skill set. If someone is unhappy with their current position they are encouraged and assisted in searching for other opportunities in the company. Don't fire us and we won't fire you is the motto. So of course it does not feel good to upper management when employees leave with no prior mention of needing more or being unhappy. I have been at the company for 20+ years and in my tenure there has never been a layoff. What company can make that claim?
5. The company really does care about their employees. Without getting too personal or offering examples from others, I can speak from experience when I say that if you have a family emergency, a health issue or any personal hardship, Meditech will go to the limit to support you. When I tell people of my personal experience in this I always get the same response which is there are very few companies that treat their employees with such support and understanding.

ConsThe salaries can start on the low side and it can seem like it takes a while to get up to a competitive paycheck. That being said, hard work is rewarded with big jumps in salary in the early years. Taking into consideration that Meditech hires people with little or no previous related experience this seems like the logical approach. Also people sometimes only look at the paycheck in terms of salary. All factors need to be considered. The low cost healthcare puts more dollars in your pocket each month. Over time bonus and dividends yield significant yearly and quarterly income. If you add it all up in the end you make a very competitive salary at a company that cares about their employees.

just started but love it so far.

Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat buildings and facilities, friendly and supportive culture.
Great opportunity for career building.
Lots of opportunities for advancement.
Flexibility and great benefits for all employees.

ConsGoing through company software changes, little hectic transition period.
Experience varies depending on your group, all groups have different subcultures. For example some supervisors will allow their team to wear jeans, while others expect a more strict dress code. another example is varied flexibility and rules.

A Career not just a Job

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

ProsSolid Company
Friendly atmosphere
Great benefits
Lot of opportunity for growth

ConsSalary below average in field.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer flex hours 7-3:30, 8-4:30 10-6:30 etc.
Throw out the phone system. Are we a technology company? Hospitals are not inpressed when they visit and see our phones.

One of the Best Company's to work for

Senior Marketing Product Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Meditech

ProsLow stress, job security, profit sharing, great benefits, large number PTO days, great pay raises
MEDITECH is one of the best company's to work. Since they are a private company they determine their annual growth unlike many public company's that only care about the bottom line. The company develops all their own products which are design to function together. The do not grow by purchasing other company's and try to mesh eveything together with interfaces.

ConsLow starting salaries in a high cost of living area, New England.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide employees with a higher salaries

One of a kind job!

Senior Programmer (Current Employee)
Norwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech

ProsFor those that have ever had any job experience, you will be able to appreciate working for a company where you are respected, appreciated, and treated well. They have old fashioned values that are rarely seen in the world today, and it is a company that you can work at, for your entire career, rather than jumping from job to job looking for more. Just like anything in life, when you have put in your time and effort, you are rewarded. The rewards are flexible hours, profit sharing, telecommuting, more vacation time, as well as advancement opportunities, stock purchasing, and job security. The work environment is relaxed, and all of the buildings are beautiful. The cafeteria's are run by the same caterer, the food is great, and is subsidized by the company. I should also mention all drinks are free, and soda in the machines is just 5 cents. The company prides itself on the importance of family, and works with employees to create a good balance. There are three main events in the year, that make this an incredible place to work. The company picnic, the Holiday party, and year end bonus. The company picnic is like nothing you will ever see at another company as long as you live. It has puppet shows, magic show, pirate ship, horeback rides, food, rides, and drinks, as well as gifts. During the holidays, they give all employees a ham, turkey or lasagna, and have a Holiday party that has an unbelievable array of food. The year end bonus is the most anticipated day of the year, and is very exciting. When the employees do their job well, the company does well, and it will show in the bonus. It is a great incentive program!
Even as a new employee, the benefits are extremely generous as compared to other companies. I have watched many young employees quit, to work for hospitals, and more money, only to find they are at the mercy of the hospital budget. They are often the first to be laid off, as they are non essential employees. For those that take this as a first job, and see the salary as the only thing of importance, I guess they will need to learn the lesson for themselves. As you get older, your priorities will change, and a company that values the importance of life outside of work will have great meaning. The relationships you will form with long term coworkers, and the respect of a company that holds it's employees in such high regard, will become priceless.
As a company using proprietary languages, it is not feasible to pay a new employee top dollar just to get them in the door, when they realistically won't become productive for several years. Once they are productive, the salary will increase quickly.

ConsThe salaries should be raised somewhat, to adjust for the cost of living over the past several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more continuous training to employees, as technology changes.

Great place to work!

SENIOR SPECIALIST (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Meditech

ProsThey reward the long term employee. They offer a flexible work schedule and you don't "take your job home with you" at night when you leave. The work/life balance is great!

ConsThe commute can be tough at times but who doesn't have a tough commute living south of the city (or north for that matter!) The salary is good but could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the people working for you and what they are bringing to the table everyday.

A great place to start your career!

Canton, MA

I have been working at Meditech

ProsFlexibility. This is my first job out of college and I am shocked at how flexible my supervisor, manager, and director are. I am fortunate enough to have great bosses who treat me like a person, congratulate me when I do well, provide useful, constructive criticism, and realize that there is a life outside of MT.

The benefits are outstanding. 90% of health insurance is paid for and if you keep your eyes open, there are a lot of discounts you can get through the company to use for your personal life.

The atmosphere is relaxed and fun. I never dread coming into work because the people here are great. The half cubes allow you to chat with coworkers while you're working, the fountain drinks are free, the cafe food is very good, etc. There are so many little perks here that are often overlooked, but they make the experience here that much better.

ConsI know there is a lot of fuss about the salary at MEDITECH, but when you factor in everything else the company does for you, it really isn't that bad. Health insurance is 90% paid for. You get cheap (and good) food at the cafe. If you travel, they throw you a stipend as a thanks. MEDITECH also gives away a nice holiday package, holds an annual picnic for employees, and of course, the bonus.

The only complaint I really have is having to work that extra 30 minutes at the end of the day. (The hours are 9-5:30) I don't get home until 6:30-6:45. It is a very minor gripe, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe flexible and ask us (the new generation coming in) for input. Technology has changed so much in the past few years, and while recent college grads obviously lack experience in the professional world, there is a lot we can suggest in order to improve the working experience here.

Your Career starts here!

Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Meditech

ProsMeditech is a great company. From the compensation to the benefits, this company does much to please it's employees. If you work hard it's rewarded year over year. This is the first company that i've worked for that i felt i really had a career at. The reason for that is because they only hire from within. Everyone who starts at MEDITECH starts at entry level. If they're looking for a senior programmer they hire one from the pool of programmers already working at MEDITECH. There's a yearly bonus every year, yes even in this economy. I would not trade this job for the world.

ConsCurrently my commute to work sucks. However, after 3 years at MEDITECH you're free to transfer to any group that needs help, and you're also able to work from other buildings temporarily or permenantly without leaving your group.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep doing what you're doing. I still believe this company has alot of untapped potential.

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Meditech reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Meditech CEO Howard Messing. All 130 reviews posted anonymously by Meditech employees.