Meditech

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salary (36-37k for my position) (in 20 reviews)

• Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company) (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work!

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus, Employee Benefits, Company Picnic
    Beautiful Buildings to work in, Great Technology

Cons

Hours are a little late for my liking 9-5:30.

It was fun. Everyone was really nice and seemed to enjoy working there. I never had an issue

Former Employee - Product Development in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Product Development in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people. Great benefits. The company outing in the summer is awesome. Seems easy to move up and excel.

Cons

Have you be your own person. People will not find ways to improve you and do not care about you unless you speak up.

Great company; migrating towards cloud-based applications

Current Employee - Clinical Applications Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Applications Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was very good; a general application-wide training, as well as your own group's training was provided. They ensure that you are well qualified to implement the software prior to going out on your own.

Cons

Salary is below industry standards, roughly by -$20,000; but the work culture is ideal, very laid back (jean Fridays for instance), and you are allowed quite a bit of independence and self-management.

Continue to push towards the Cloud, where the future of EHR IT is going, and also consider paying those who stay in the company higher compensation sooner, than the "longer you stay here, the more you will make" theory. This is old-school thought.

Analyst

I worked at Meditech full-time

Pros

The work life balance is great.

Cons

The starting pay is a little low.

Solid company that's never had lay-offs.

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

MEDITECH is a fiscally responsible employer.

Cons

Pay is slightly lower than the industry average

Hard to find a company like this any more

Current Employee - Development Programmer in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Development Programmer in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job security - they have never laid off an employee, in over 40 years of doing business as a software company. That's a big deal.
    90% paid benefits - Better than most other options out there, they pay 90% of your benefits, so you're not losing a lot in your check for that.
    Management understands what it's like to do your job - even the CEO of the company started out, in the company, as a programmer. Upper management all understands what it's like to be on the front lines of this company, because they've been there. That helps in putting things in perspective.
    Excellent employees get big raises quickly - if you work hard, show aptitude, and succeed, between salary raises and the bonus (see below), you could double your income inside of five years with the company.
    Yearly bonus - An annual bonus based on the performance of the company is given out, based on a percentage of your last five years' salary. This has even happened during the economic crisis.
    Ability to buy well-performing stock in a solid company - after a few years with the company, you get the option to buy stock. This stock has historically performed exceedingly well.
    Great work/life balance - supervisors and managers understand that employees have lives outside of work. This does not mean that you'll never be asked to work overtime - but it is something that they try to avoid unless necessary.

Cons

Low starting salary - you get hired entry level, you get paid entry level.
    Takes time for title advancement - some companies will give you a 'senior' title after a couple of years. This takes a longer time, and some actual achievement, to earn at Meditech.

Keep up the good work, and maintain focus on remaining competitive in the market.

Not just a starter company.

Current Employee - Development Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Development Specialist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I used the title "not just a started company" to make the point that Meditech is so much more. In an age where job hopping seems to be the only way to advance your career, Meditech is a diamond in the rough. There are very few companies today that have any type of structure that would allow an individual to build a lifelong career with advancement of their choice (management, senior developers, sales, etc.) But that's that not only reason Meditech is a great place to work.....

1. Great people from entry level to senior management!
    2. Great benefits - I pay under $125 for BCBS Family Health and Dental - unheard of! Awesome yearly bonus. Stock options that continue to pay impressive dividends even during economic crisis.
    3. Amazing work environments - You don't appreciate a large, bright workstation with a chair that supports your back until you don't have it. It's like running water, you always need it but don't always appreciate it.
    4. JOB SECURITY! Let me say it again JOB SECURITY! Meditech has a reputation for not taking resignations well. That's because they would never just up and fire an employee. If someone is not performing to the best of their ability Meditech works with that person to find a position that better meets their skill set. If someone is unhappy with their current position they are encouraged and assisted in searching for other opportunities in the company. Don't fire us and we won't fire you is the motto. So of course it does not feel good to upper management when employees leave with no prior mention of needing more or being unhappy. I have been at the company for 20+ years and in my tenure there has never been a layoff. What company can make that claim?
    5. The company really does care about their employees. Without getting too personal or offering examples from others, I can speak from experience when I say that if you have a family emergency, a health issue or any personal hardship, Meditech will go to the limit to support you. When I tell people of my personal experience in this I always get the same response which is there are very few companies that treat their employees with such support and understanding.

Cons

The salaries can start on the low side and it can seem like it takes a while to get up to a competitive paycheck. That being said, hard work is rewarded with big jumps in salary in the early years. Taking into consideration that Meditech hires people with little or no previous related experience this seems like the logical approach. Also people sometimes only look at the paycheck in terms of salary. All factors need to be considered. The low cost healthcare puts more dollars in your pocket each month. Over time bonus and dividends yield significant yearly and quarterly income. If you add it all up in the end you make a very competitive salary at a company that cares about their employees.

just started but love it so far.

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great buildings and facilities, friendly and supportive culture.
    Great opportunity for career building.
    Lots of opportunities for advancement.
    Flexibility and great benefits for all employees.

Cons

Going through company software changes, little hectic transition period.
    Experience varies depending on your group, all groups have different subcultures. For example some supervisors will allow their team to wear jeans, while others expect a more strict dress code. another example is varied flexibility and rules.

A Career not just a Job

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Solid Company
    Friendly atmosphere
    Great benefits
    Lot of opportunity for growth

Cons

Salary below average in field.

Offer flex hours 7-3:30, 8-4:30 10-6:30 etc.
    Throw out the phone system. Are we a technology company? Hospitals are not inpressed when they visit and see our phones.

One of the Best Company's to work for

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Product Specialist
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Product Specialist

I worked at Meditech

Pros

Low stress, job security, profit sharing, great benefits, large number PTO days, great pay raises
    MEDITECH is one of the best company's to work. Since they are a private company they determine their annual growth unlike many public company's that only care about the bottom line. The company develops all their own products which are design to function together. The do not grow by purchasing other company's and try to mesh eveything together with interfaces.

Cons

Low starting salaries in a high cost of living area, New England.

Provide employees with a higher salaries

Meditech Photos

Meditech Waiting area/ lobby
Got to love the windows.

+ Add Photo