Meditech Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
Updated September 25, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salary (36-37k for my position) (in 20 reviews)

• Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company) (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay far away- this is a career trap

Former Employee - Quality Control Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Control Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is good. You clock in 8 hours and leave on the dot. Management is generally pleasant as long as you keep your head down and drink from the Kool aid, and PTO is generous. It's a comfortable job to stay in the grind if that's what you're looking for.

Cons

Where to start?
    Pay: It's low. And not by department, experience, position, or tenure-- the entire company as a whole lowballs ALL of their employees. They hire everyone from entry level 'to grow their employees from within', which really means 'to start everyone at a low salary and keep them there'. Which brings me to:

Promotions: They don't exist. The other reviews here talking about no room for growth are completely accurate. The implications? That hierarchy is completely vertical. You will be working alongside coworkers who've been there 15 years and who have the same position title as you. This is a place where careers go to die, and because of management, they'll stay there. Speaking of which, let's talk about them for a second.

Management: Politics, micromanagement, and mismanagement. You will be micromanaged to the very last detail here, from what words you say to what's on your screen. Not for no reason, which we'll address later. But you will have to watch your back 24/7 here because management WILL NOT advocate for you. They consist of catty people who have meetings purely to talk about their direct reports' shortcomings. The office doors are not that soundproof, people. There is also a LOT of under-the-bus-throwing by management-- which fosters no trust and the knowledge that your boss does not advocate for you at all. They love lifers who are content to do mind numbing work and make small talk from day to day, but if you are someone who's ambitious and aware that this is not all there is, they'll find ways to ostracize and impede you at every turn. So much to the point that they will warn new hires away from those people in private meetings. They are threatened by any type of idealism or change, and that person quickly becomes a black sheep. It's no surprise that this leads to a lot of:

Turnover: And I mean a lot.
    The department consists of three types of people:
    1. Happy people who aren't going anywhere because it's a comfortable job
    2. Unhappy people who have grown complacent and resigned and won't go anywhere
    3. Unhappy people who've realized there's no career growth and are actively searching

They bank on the first two to populate the department, and also deliberately hire non-top talent people because they're less of a flight risk. About 1/3rd the department is job searching at any given time, and it's not hard to find people to band together for support.

The company as a whole: Meditech is proud and vocal about their nepotism. They're also just.......weird. Because the CEO likes old school phones, every desk is equipped with outdated technology. The patterns of the chairs must be alternating by desk (god help you if they're not) and desk changes must go to boston for approval. Biased opinion alert: they are so incredibly anal about these small details when they should be focused on making a better software product. It's very telling that they will actively give you outdated equipment for their own whims rather than to advance the company forward. They also boast of never laying someone off, and firing is rare (but not impossible). What this means: you'll work with a lot of people in the company who proooobably should've been let go.

The department:
    It's emphasized many times that 'what you are doing is important!' because people here need that constant reminder. Also because it's half true. QC does very important work because no one else will do it. It's tedious, repetitive, and has no end. Often times, when other departments are drafted to help because of the high workload, it's not uncommon to hear things like "if I had to do your job every day, I'd kill myself" and "I have so much respect for you guys now". More advanced companies hire employees to develop programs to automate these types of testing-- MT hires more click monkeys. I can't speak for other departments, but I constantly felt looked down upon. The position is not without its frustrations and challenges, but at the end of the day, you read an instruction document, click buttons, and if there's a problem you hand it off to the coders who can actually fix it. Also, it's a numbers game. When testing rolls around, everyone's performance gets rated on the number of plans they finish testing, whether it's a short plan or a long one. Which means if you spend 2 days on a long scenario requiring a lot of knowledge and collaboration, it counts the same as a 15 minute plan. And you'd better believe management will bring it up in a meeting.

Personal development:
    Nonexistent. They'll tell you to gain a specialty to become the 'go to expert', when really this means you get pigeon holed. Weekly meetings with your supervisor consist of talking about non work related things instead of ways to improve or lessons learned. This isn't entirely their fault-- there's simply not much work related stuff to talk about. Did you press the button? You pressed it? Cool.

This was much longer than I'd intended it to be, but it serves as a fair warning. For a certain type of person, this role is fine. But if you're career driven and want to do meaningful work, keep moving. If you want a boss that will advocate for you, or a good salary that won't make future employers question your value, keep moving. If fine isn't good enough, you won't be here long.

There are much more competent people that work under you that weren't promoted because of bureaucracy.

This place sucks

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist  in  Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Canton, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing is good about this company

Cons

worst company to ever work for. no vision. no future.

Go to hell

Revolving Door with Very Low Pay

Current Employee - Applications Specialist
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Health & Dental coverage is good, Bonus structure can be decent if you stick around a long time. Job security is very high.

Cons

Meditech hires directly from colleges offering jobs to those who don't have any comparison for compensation, which is insultingly low. People come and work for 1 to 2 years and move on meaning most people do not have the best working knowledge because they are new. It is hard to keep people in a company that seems to be so out of touch with going pay rates.

Instead of bringing in new graduates every year who need to be trained from the ground up, offer better pay to your knowledgeable staff and they will be more likely to stay, this will improve customer service and overall customer satisfaction of staff that has insight on the software. People leave for a reason.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best viewed as a paid internship to people fresh out of college

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

A good opportunity for recent graduates. The best way to think of Meditech is as a paid internship, stick around for a year or two, and then find another job. Buffalo chicken week was the highlight of my employment.

Cons

The compensation is easily half what you could be making elsewhere in the industry. Since leaving the company I've more than tripled my salary, and look forward to going into work each day. The morale within our division was quiet low, nearly everyone who I became friends with when I first started either left in the months before I did, or soon after I left. That kind of environment wouldn't make anyone want to stay for long.

Mostly nice coworkers, yet unqualified management and outdated values/culture and lack of any future direction.

Former Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young and vibrant coworkers; free sodas; year end bonus; low health insurance premium; Christmas gift

Cons

VERY low salary for this area; inflexibility; mundane nature of the majority of the work; promotions based off of "loyalty" and bureaucracy; no compensation or recognition for advanced schooling or additional knowledge/skills learned during tenure (eg., I earned a Masters degree while working their, and continued to be compensated as much as those with high school diplomas)

While a lot of the perks are nice, they are evenly distributed to all employees, leaving no real incentive to put in extra time or effort, as you will not be rewarded for it. I would pay attention to recruiting and retaining superior employees, and compensating them appropriately early, rather than hoping that they stay around long enough to receive adequate compensation. Turnover here is ridiculous, and I feel like it all starts with providing employees with an appropriate salary from the outset, and allowing greater flexibility. This would likely attract and keep better employees here for the long term.

People are horrible.

I worked at Meditech for more than 5 years

Pros

No pros at all at this place.

Cons

90% of the people who work at Meditech are young, stupid, careless and THIEVES! There is absolutely no way that I would recommend anyone go work there if they have any common sense. The people who are supposed to be setting examples are the worst! No respect for the cafeteria staff, think they can steal what they want and threaten you if you say you are going to report on them. Absolutely despicable people!

Low initial pay, No real performance reviews, very little movement up their ladder

Current Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Job Security (for now) Hospital IT field has many more HIS in play.
    - Opens door for work within hospitals

Cons

- Supervisors aren't required to know their APPLICATION/Modules, making it hard for them to help their staff.

- They do not fire the people that hold groups down, and those same people get the same raises

- Starting Pay

- Don't rehire ex-workers that leave on good terms. Those workers know the systems.

- Training can take 1 year, but should take much less.

- Disproportion of work among teams, groups, modules.

I gave a two week notice, and on that very same day they literally told me to write a letter of resignation, and then they proceeded to walk me out the door. This is after 3 years of work and not 1 bad performance review. That is no way to treat someone who put in time and effort to help customers.

Management, stop using the motto "At least you have a Job" . Many occasions suggestions to better groups were shot down because they did not fit the mold of Meditech's old ways, and I would hear from managers and supervisors "At least you have a Job".

Meditech is consistently losing its best employees to other companies or hospitals. They should focus on wow to get those employees back or why they left, instead of hiring College Grads at low wages with no experience.

Two Words, Bad Company

Current Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good with this company is the health insurance as well as the cafeteria. The kitchen staff are exceptional guys.

Cons

After the first two months, they throw you under the bus, practically setting you up to fail. The turnover rate is quite incredible. At least 5 people in the company leave each month, which doesn't look good in a potential applicant's eyes. They don't get fire, they quit. Meditech doesn't want to pay for unemployment, so they do everything they can to get the current employees to quit, therefore not being eligible for unemployment.

By working here for over a year, I've seen many ways in how they try to get employees to quit:

- Low salary
      - No raise (said they can't afford raises, meanwhile, they can afford a multi-million dollar picnic)
      - Set you up to fail, big time
      - Supervisors/managers don't provide much help (if you ask a question, they look at you like you're an idiot)

I heard this exact story from many others before I started, and now I completely understand what they were saying. Do yourself a favor, if you're not working and currently receiving unemployment, don't throw it away by working for this disgraceful company. If you work at Meditech, you'll have to deal with the younger, twenty year old "children" that still believe they're in college. Meditech should think about hiring more mature staff and not idiots that just came out of a frat house. Also Meditech should think about upgrading their system and appliances (phones, printers, etc.) because they are a bit on the older side. I can't tell you how many times the system crashed on me or how often the internet connection goes down. It's quite embarrassing, getting a call from a customer asking for help and me having to say "Oh I apologize, but I can't help right now as our internet connection is down." You think the customer feels comfortable knowing they just purchased a very expensive piece of software and hear the Meditech Support Specialist saying we can't help because they can't maintain their internet connection? I sure don't think they'd feel comfortable. I for one, would want to give the software back, get refunded and use something else.

So please don't apply for a job here because one year later, you may be saying the exact same thing I'm saying.

I strongly recommend that upper management start to see the light and hire much more experienced supervisors to lead the way for the specialists. This whole business of promoting from within is good, but also very bad. Bad in the sense of these employees having no idea how to supervise. Just because they know the software, doesn't mean they know how to supervise. Two completely different things. Also, I think you should think about nixing the company picnic and give us some raises. I think we, the specialists are the most deserving of raises because we are the ones interacting with the customers, taking the blame for other employees mistakes, and because we work incredibly hard and feel that we have nothing to show for it. Give us what we want and we'll work even harder.

Awful place to work!

Former Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Health Insurance is very good, other than that nothing!

Cons

Everything, they treat you like a child. They say the environment is family friendly until you need something family related, then they say no. PAY PAY PAY!!! They start you ridiculously low and they expect you to kill yourself for minimal pay.

Raise your salary minimum as it is terrible an impossible to live off of.

Worst job I ever had!

Former Employee - Applications Specialist  in  Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Norwood, MA

I worked at Meditech

Pros

This is a good place to meet new friends, that's about it. Use this job as a stepping stone to get into an IS Analyst job where you will make WAY more money.

Cons

- Salary (starting pay is 24k no matter how much you made in your last job)
    - Managament treats people aweful. I was yelled at many times there and I was a good employee - I make 8 times the salary I made at Meditech now.
    - Work environement is loud. Especially if you sit next to someone who is loud.
    - Your calls get taped and emails read. You feel like you are being watched 24 hours a day
    - You have to write standard letters, you can't make anything personal, even with your customers

Train your employees better. They still can't answer simple questions during training classes. Treat your employees like you care that they are there, even though we know you don't. Say "Hello" to them! It makes a big difference if an employee knows they are liked by upper management. Get rid of some old timers and bring in new people from good companies to help you. These old timers are holding the company back. PAY your employees at least a starting salary of 37k or more. Anything else is horrible! Now as a customer I can see nothing has changed there!

Meditech Photos

Meditech Waiting area/ lobby
Got to love the windows.

+ Add Photo

Worked for Meditech? Contribute to the Community!