Meditech

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salary (36-37k for my position) (in 20 reviews)

• Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company) (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent job, especially right out of college

Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Specialist in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance

Cons

Low salary, mediocre raises, boring

Give better raises to those who deserve them

Great first job/stepping stone for next job

Former Employee - Development Specialist in Westwood, MA
    Former Employee - Development Specialist in Westwood, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable, secure, excellent benefits, great working environment, annual bonuses.

Cons

The company does not value their employees as much as they should. Everyone is expendable. During my time there, I saw numerous people leave because management refused to give them more pay or let them transfer to a more desirable position within the company.

Keep the good people and treat them right. Give them what they deserve. By losing all of these great workers, the quality of your product is going to decline, and this will be detrimental to not only you, but also all of your healthcare clients.

Working with very talented people in a relaxed environment.

Current Employee - Development Programmer
    Current Employee - Development Programmer

I have been working at Meditech full-time

Pros

The workplace is an open environment. The annual bonuses are nothing to sneeze at and the bonuses only grow dramatically every additional year you stay with the company. The people in management actually care about the quality of our product.

Cons

The proprietary language is a little difficult to work with at times. Initial pay is not competitive.

Application Specialist

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Meditech (more than an year)

Pros

This is a great entry level position for a new grade out of college. Able to find employment very easy after job. Really enjoyed the work great company to work for.

Cons

Salary is very low and turn over at the company is high due to better paying jobs. Still a great company to work for.

Analyst

I worked at Meditech full-time

Pros

The work life balance is great.

Cons

The starting pay is a little low.

Pay is sub par for the market, job stability is impressive.

Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The profit sharing and stock options are impressive if you put 30 years into the company. I've never felt fear of layoffs or termination. Management will listen to your input and try to move you into a position that best suits you.

Cons

Pay is very low... Raises are almost nonexistent. Hours are flexible as long as you want to work 9-530. Promotions are also poor, they are promotions of responsibility and often not worth it. Being a "Senior Specialist" offers no more cash or benefits for the title. The positions are made up titles to compensate for zero vertical movement available in the company. All moves for those coming in unless some one dies or quits are horizontal movements.

There is a disconnect between upper management and the troops on the front line. Middle managers are extremely hit or miss and can make or break your experience at the company. Most managers in my 7 year tenure are just above useless. They get in the way more often than not and love creating process/red tape.

Good starting point, no real reasons to stay long term.

Former Employee - Applications Specialist
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best health coverage-90/10, bonus every January.

Cons

Very low pay, raises not based on performance, big company that they try to run like a small company, no human resources so if you're unhappy there really isn't a neutral party to turn to. Way more travel than they lead on. Your happiness here depends on your group- some are great and some will treat you very poorly as a new hire.

More competitive salaries will help with retention. Promote based on ability and hard work rather than tenure or who outlasted others.

Good job overall. Not the type of salary I am looking for, long term.

Current Employee - Development Programmer in Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Development Programmer in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid management team. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Difficult learning curve. Very poor salary for development programmer. No usable experience with contemporary languages will you receive here.

A good career starter & for long term employees.

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good benefits for the most part.
    90% of health/dental insurance is paid by the company. Two weeks of sick time/two weeks of vacation for the first two years of employment, which then gets bumped up to 3 weeks. The cafeteria is subsidized by Meditech, so lunches are pretty cheap. You can get a burger/fries/drink for about $4. The food tends to be pretty good overall. After two years you're allowed one 'work from home' day a week.

- Work/Life balance
    You don't take work home with you. I've worked at Meditech for three years and haven't worked more than 50 hours in a week since I started. Meditech offers 24/7 customer support, so any ongoing issues can easily be handed off to the 2nd/3rd shift employees.

- Job Security
    Meditech tends to not fire employees for whatever reason. After three years I've known 2-3 employees that have been fired. You need to be a serious screwup to get fired. On the one hand it's great to know you don't need to be looking over your shoulder for the hammer to drop, on the other hand this leads to a good amount of apathy/complacency since you know you won't be fired as long as you're barely competent.

Cons

- Compensation
    As mentioned in every other review, the compensation at Meditech is pathetic in comparison to the industry average. I was hired as a programmer around 38k and after 3 years I'm making roughly 45k, still well below starting salary at most companies, especially in the Greater Boston area. The compensation model is geared toward longer tenured employees. Since the starting salary is so low, they expect employees to invest in company stock. The yearly bonus is tied to how much you've made in the last 5 years, so again geared towards longer tenured employees. I hear that the compensation does catch up eventually with dividend payments + the bonus. Lots of good employees tend to stick around for a year or two, then find a much higher paying job at another health care organization/hospital. Pay increases are only done on a yearly basis and can only be in $1200 increments. For what reason, I don't know.

- Management
    You're Meditech experience can made/broken depending on your supervisor. Some allow autonomy and tend to leave you alone, some micromanage and will be constantly breathing down your neck. Some will hound you over internet usage, some won't. Some will go to bat for you, etc... Your mileage can vary wildly depending on your supervisor.

-Transferable skills
    There basically are none as a programmer. Saying you can code in MAT/Magic to any other company other than Meditech is like saying you can speak Klingon. Meditech uses proprietary software at every level, so none of that experience is transferable to any other company except those hospitals that also use that software.

- Promotions
    The way Meditech handles promotions is a little ridiculous. Promotions don't guarantee a pay bump, it just raises the 'pay ceiling' for whatever you make. So for instance an employee can have their yearly review in April, get promoted in May, then will work at their current salary for 11 months before their next yearly review in April. Even then, the promotion only raises your pay ceiling, so you might not get a bump then either, however you probably would.

You need to revisit your compensation model. It may have been a good model back when Meditech was rapidly growing as a company, but now that it's a more stable company with slower long term growth, the model is outdated. You need to offer more competitive salaries in order to incentivize employees to stay. I'm not sure if management is aware of the growing student loans/debt issue with recent graduates, but I've seen numerous employees leave the company due to needing a higher salaried position to pay for their loans.

Hire programmers with programming experience. While I understand that Meditech hires employees with any degree, the fact that the company hires programmers with Math degrees and have never written a "Hello World" program in their life is frankly ridiculous. If I'm talking with a fellow programmer and mention 'regular expressions', their reaction shouldn't be to look at me like I have seven heads. It's embarrassing.

Great career starter, no long term growth.

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall good company culture and a great entry level job.

Meditech teaches new college graduates how to operate in the professional world.

Good training program and a great way to get introduced to Healthcare IT industry.

You don't bring work home with you.

Cons

Terrible compensation plan.

No career growth potential.

Should introduce incentive plans for high achievers, this would keep some of the little talent that stays at Meditech.

Meditech Photos

Meditech Waiting area/ lobby
Got to love the windows.

+ Add Photo