Meditech

Updated January 1, 2015
Updated January 1, 2015

Meditech President & CEO Howard Messing
Howard Messing

Pros
  • Annual bonus, working from home opportunities, good work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Low starting salary (36-37k for my position) (in 20 reviews)

• Limited advancement opportunities (even with 100% of non-entry level hiring coming from within company) (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Good starting point, no real reasons to stay long term.

Former Employee - Applications Specialist

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best health coverage-90/10, bonus every January.

Cons

Very low pay, raises not based on performance, big company that they try to run like a small company, no human resources so if you're unhappy there really isn't a neutral party to turn to. Way more travel than they lead on. Your happiness here depends on your group- some are great and some will treat you very poorly as a new hire.

More competitive salaries will help with retention. Promote based on ability and hard work rather than tenure or who outlasted others.

Good job overall. Not the type of salary I am looking for, long term.

Current Employee - Development Programmer in Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Development Programmer in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid management team. Friendly coworkers.

Cons

Difficult learning curve. Very poor salary for development programmer. No usable experience with contemporary languages will you receive here.

A good career starter & for long term employees.

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Westwood, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good benefits for the most part.
    90% of health/dental insurance is paid by the company. Two weeks of sick time/two weeks of vacation for the first two years of employment, which then gets bumped up to 3 weeks. The cafeteria is subsidized by Meditech, so lunches are pretty cheap. You can get a burger/fries/drink for about $4. The food tends to be pretty good overall. After two years you're allowed one 'work from home' day a week.

- Work/Life balance
    You don't take work home with you. I've worked at Meditech for three years and haven't worked more than 50 hours in a week since I started. Meditech offers 24/7 customer support, so any ongoing issues can easily be handed off to the 2nd/3rd shift employees.

- Job Security
    Meditech tends to not fire employees for whatever reason. After three years I've known 2-3 employees that have been fired. You need to be a serious screwup to get fired. On the one hand it's great to know you don't need to be looking over your shoulder for the hammer to drop, on the other hand this leads to a good amount of apathy/complacency since you know you won't be fired as long as you're barely competent.

Cons

- Compensation
    As mentioned in every other review, the compensation at Meditech is pathetic in comparison to the industry average. I was hired as a programmer around 38k and after 3 years I'm making roughly 45k, still well below starting salary at most companies, especially in the Greater Boston area. The compensation model is geared toward longer tenured employees. Since the starting salary is so low, they expect employees to invest in company stock. The yearly bonus is tied to how much you've made in the last 5 years, so again geared towards longer tenured employees. I hear that the compensation does catch up eventually with dividend payments + the bonus. Lots of good employees tend to stick around for a year or two, then find a much higher paying job at another health care organization/hospital. Pay increases are only done on a yearly basis and can only be in $1200 increments. For what reason, I don't know.

- Management
    You're Meditech experience can made/broken depending on your supervisor. Some allow autonomy and tend to leave you alone, some micromanage and will be constantly breathing down your neck. Some will hound you over internet usage, some won't. Some will go to bat for you, etc... Your mileage can vary wildly depending on your supervisor.

-Transferable skills
    There basically are none as a programmer. Saying you can code in MAT/Magic to any other company other than Meditech is like saying you can speak Klingon. Meditech uses proprietary software at every level, so none of that experience is transferable to any other company except those hospitals that also use that software.

- Promotions
    The way Meditech handles promotions is a little ridiculous. Promotions don't guarantee a pay bump, it just raises the 'pay ceiling' for whatever you make. So for instance an employee can have their yearly review in April, get promoted in May, then will work at their current salary for 11 months before their next yearly review in April. Even then, the promotion only raises your pay ceiling, so you might not get a bump then either, however you probably would.

You need to revisit your compensation model. It may have been a good model back when Meditech was rapidly growing as a company, but now that it's a more stable company with slower long term growth, the model is outdated. You need to offer more competitive salaries in order to incentivize employees to stay. I'm not sure if management is aware of the growing student loans/debt issue with recent graduates, but I've seen numerous employees leave the company due to needing a higher salaried position to pay for their loans.

Hire programmers with programming experience. While I understand that Meditech hires employees with any degree, the fact that the company hires programmers with Math degrees and have never written a "Hello World" program in their life is frankly ridiculous. If I'm talking with a fellow programmer and mention 'regular expressions', their reaction shouldn't be to look at me like I have seven heads. It's embarrassing.

Great culture

Former Employee - Supervisor
    Former Employee - Supervisor

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, family oriented, saw the country in my travels!

Cons

Starting Salary can be low

This place sucks

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in Canton, MA

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing is good about this company

Cons

worst company to ever work for. no vision. no future.

Go to hell

Good starting point, not good long term.

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work atmosphere is great. I love the people that I work with. Depending on the group, work hours can be flexible. Benefits are great and so are the bonuses when they come around.

Cons

Zero room for growth, starting salary is pitiful, raises are almost non-existent. Employees get promoted based on how long they stick it out here, rather than actual skill or effort.

Stop buying buildings that you can't fill with employees. You need to learn to show employees that they matter. Telling us that we had a bad year and raises won't be good while at the same time purchasing a $25 million dollar building is absolutely absurd. That is a giant slap in the face to your employees. You need to get in touch with reality and realize that we do the brunt of the work.

Revolving Door with Very Low Pay

Current Employee - Applications Specialist
    Current Employee - Applications Specialist

I have been working at Meditech full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health & Dental coverage is good, Bonus structure can be decent if you stick around a long time. Job security is very high.

Cons

Meditech hires directly from colleges offering jobs to those who don't have any comparison for compensation, which is insultingly low. People come and work for 1 to 2 years and move on meaning most people do not have the best working knowledge because they are new. It is hard to keep people in a company that seems to be so out of touch with going pay rates.

Instead of bringing in new graduates every year who need to be trained from the ground up, offer better pay to your knowledgeable staff and they will be more likely to stay, this will improve customer service and overall customer satisfaction of staff that has insight on the software. People leave for a reason.

Decent stepping stone, don't stay too long

I worked at Meditech full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Work/life balance. Cheap cafeteria

Cons

Promotions to management are random and all about how long you've been there. Low pay and small raises, you will never be rich here.

good company

I worked at Meditech

Pros

hard to get fired or laid off. young company. great industry. if you have a great supervisor or manager, the experience is even better.

Cons

I think of this as a con. I felt like there is a air of complacency there. If you are not the most driven person, this place is great for so many reasons. If you are driven, there is room for opportunity to stand out, but still hard to climb over seniority. if you have a bad supervisor or manager, it can suck.

Great career starter, no long term growth.

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in Framingham, MA

I worked at Meditech full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overall good company culture and a great entry level job.

Meditech teaches new college graduates how to operate in the professional world.

Good training program and a great way to get introduced to Healthcare IT industry.

You don't bring work home with you.

Cons

Terrible compensation plan.

No career growth potential.

Should introduce incentive plans for high achievers, this would keep some of the little talent that stays at Meditech.

Meditech Photos

Meditech Waiting area/ lobby
Got to love the windows.

+ Add Photo